Start by marking “Stealing Freedom” as Want to Read:
Stealing Freedom

Stealing Freedom

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  382 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
Inspired by a true story, the riveting novel of a young slave girl's harrowing escape to freedom on the Underground Railroad.

The moment Ann Maria Weems was born, her freedom was stolen from her. Like her family and the other slaves on the farm, Ann works from sunup to sundown and obeys the orders of her master. Then one day, Ann's family -- the only joy she knows -- is gon
Published January 9th 2001 by Yearling (first published 1998)

Rebecca Douglass
Mar 12, 2012 Rebecca Douglass rated it it was amazing
Stealing Freedom is the story of one slave girl who manages to reach freedom. Based on the historical accounts of Ann Maria Weems' escape from Rockville, Maryland, to Dresden, Ontario (Canada was, in the late 1840s, the only place a slave could go to get beyond the reach of the slave catchers, thanks to the Fugitive Slave Act).

When the story opens, Ann is not unhappy with her lot in life. Food is a little sparse, and she has too little clothing, especially in winter. But she has the most import
02erinb
May 10, 2012 02erinb rated it it was amazing
Stealing Freedom by Elisa Carbon is a great book! First published in 1998 it's about 258 pages long and intended for anyone to read! Although the book might be written for more young adults, anyone could read and enjoy this book. Stealing Freedom takes place around the mid 1800's down in Maryland. Ann Maria Weems and her family are black slaves living in Maryland that serve Master Charles. Master Charles is a white man who is rather ill tempered and not very patient.
This book begins with Ann
Penn 6
Oct 19, 2009 Penn 6 rated it it was amazing
The book is about a girl and her family back in slavery. Her family gets sold away and she has to figure out how she will see them again. The girl meets people who try and comfort her in time of need. The setting is a house and a small town.

I like this book because it’s very sad and interesting. Yes, I did have strong feelings. My strong feelings were a negative reaction because the story was just sad, but loving. This book did make me feel different in a way. I should not take my life for grant
Karla
Sep 07, 2015 Karla rated it it was amazing
I read this book with my son, who had to read it for "summer reading". I started reading it with him in case he had any questions, as we've never really discussed slaves, the North and South, the Underground Railroad, or the significance of Philadelphia. (We live just outside of Philly.) I ended up reading ahead because I couldn't wait to see how it ended. I was a little dismayed that the ending may or may not have actually occurred, but I'm hopeful that that's what happened. Love this book, and ...more
Elaine
Dec 07, 2012 Elaine rated it it was amazing

Sometimes you just know that a book is going to be good. After looking at the cover (I love the title) and reading the small blurb on the back, I knew. This one is definitely going to be a “hugger.” I’m happy to say that I was right. I loved this book!

“Stealing Freedom” is based on the real life experiences of Ann Maria Weems. It takes place in 1850’s Maryland. Ann Maria was a slave for the Price family along with her Mother, Sister and Brothers. Her Father was a Freedman. Ann’s life as a slave
Madison Wells
Jul 18, 2012 Madison Wells rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the book Stealing Freedom once Ann Maria was born her freedom was taken from her so now her and her family work out in the fields, cook clean and bath the little ones. all of the slaves masters make them sleep on the floor baskets basements anywhere as long if it's not a bed. Later in the book Ann gets her brothers Joseph and Addison in big trouble for taking one of Richards marbles so master
Charles raised his whip and whipped him both 30 times, but he stopped because of Ann crying, telling
Tifnie
Oct 15, 2010 Tifnie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
Stealing Freedom is about a family who is mostly born into slavery. When a couple members of the family up and leave; escaping North to Canada, the rest of the family decides they are going to "buy" their freedom instead of risking it by running away. Unfortunately, their owner has other ideas. After he breaks up the family of 7, he allows their freedom bought with the exception of the youngest daughter. This book is about the plight of Ann Marie Weems, the daughter left behind and how she attem ...more
Katie Clark
Dec 09, 2011 Katie Clark rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading this book. This book tells the story of a young slave girl named Ann who lives with her mother, father, sister, and brothers on a plantation. Ann's family are slaves who work in the fields, but her father is a freeman who also works in those same fields hoping one day to raise enough money to by his families freedom. One day, after Ann's brothers are sold and sent south, her father gets fed up and travels to meet with an abolitionist to ask them for help. The abolitionis ...more
Salsabrarian
Narrated by Robin Miles. I never could finish the audio because there was always a production defect on disc 5 of the sets I borrowed at the library. Will have to finish in print at some point. Miles compellingly voices the emotional highs and lows of a slave family whose father is the only one who is free.
Prim196
Apr 05, 2016 Prim196 rated it it was amazing
This book is historial fiction. It shows how life were back in the old days, April 12, 1861, the book took a vision of a girl named
Galion Public Library Teens
Aug 06, 2014 Galion Public Library Teens rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
Review by C.J.: "I liked that it always had suspense. I did not dislike anything. Someone that likes history would like this."
Kody
Oct 14, 2015 Kody rated it did not like it
not really good could be a bit different
Susan
Sep 15, 2015 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: slmta
I now view this time period much differently.
BrieBrea
Shelves: audible
Catherine  Mustread
May 03, 2009 Catherine Mustread rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical, childrens
Based on the true story of Ann Maria Weems, born into slavery in the 1840s. As her owner changes careers from slave owner to slave trader he sells off members of her family until Ann Maria is the only one left. She is determined to travel via the Underground Railroad to freedom in Canada, and she does it by disguising herself as a boy. 2002 nominee for Arizona Young Readers Choice Award. Grades 4+.
Candice
Mar 12, 2015 Candice rated it it was amazing
fantastic book, loved learning her story!
Heather
Aug 05, 2009 Heather rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-chapter
Based on a true story about a slave girl trying to find freedom. Her family has been granted their freedom except for Anne.

The book did start off slow. I was a little bored for the first 50 pages or so, but then it kept picking up especially during her escape.

Great for upper elementary on the slavery that doesn't have to do with the underground railroad or buying of freedom.
Sidikha
Oct 02, 2009 Sidikha rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone, especially those studing the civil war at the moment
Recommended to Sidikha by: Mrs. Dawber
This book is a true story of a runaway slave, who escaped slavery through the underground railroad. Ann Maria Weems is the main character and this booked is based on her perilous journey from being a slave to freedom.I truly enjoyed this book and i recomend, others read the "Stealing Freedom," too!
Aiyana
May 27, 2014 Aiyana rated it liked it
An impressively researched piece of historical fiction, this novel follows a young slave's life from her hard but endurable childhood, through the changes in her life, including the loss of her family that propels her to finally seek her freedom via the underground railroad.
Sue
Jun 20, 2008 Sue rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Sue by: Jennifer Bartlett
apparently there is an update in People Magazine about the children and how things ended up for them. Haven't read it yet, but they sure deserve happiness. I was reminded of "The Color of Water" but on a young adult reading level.
Susan
Apr 30, 2009 Susan rated it it was amazing
I normally don't like historical fiction books, but this one is like WOW.
I loved every single page of it.
Carbone makes the characters come to life, I actually felt like a part of the story and adventure in this book.
Lynn
Jul 31, 2008 Lynn rated it liked it
This was a very quick read and full of the historical details I love. What kept me from giving this book a higher rating was the cheesy and hard to accept as fact last chapter. But to each their own opinion!
Kelly
May 10, 2015 Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
Amazingly well written, based on a true story! This is the story of a young slave girl and what happens throughout her life. The author's note is one of the most interesting parts of the book!!
Olivia Schrader
Feb 09, 2013 Olivia Schrader rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Nobody
Recommended to Olivia by: Teacher made me read it.
Terrible book. From the time Bigelow 'stole' Ann on, everything just seemed to happen at the perfect time in the perfect place. And we all know that that is something that NEVER happens.
Annie Oosterwyk
Good middle grade content. Not too graphic, nor too simplistic. The breaking up of family is the focus, as well as the inequality between races- even if the blacks are free.
Mustaqo
this book is about a salve who is going to escape to canada to be free as the white people in 1863. this teach us how to treat others who is different than your skin color.
Lynne Fike
Jul 25, 2012 Lynne Fike rated it it was amazing

This showed a different part of the story of the Underground Railroad for me. So many people acted with courage and conviction during this time in our history.
Janie Sippel
May 08, 2013 Janie Sippel rated it really liked it
Fantastic story about slave life and the daring escape to freedom!! Great book for history buffs. This story is based on a true life girl and her experiences.
108A TE Fall 2011: Stealing Freedom 9 15 Dec 02, 2011 03:19PM
  • Freedom on the Menu: The Greensboro Sit-Ins
  • Words By Heart
  • Harriet Tubman
  • Trouble's Daughter: The Story of Susanna Hutchinson, Indian Captive
  • Nathan Hale's Hazardous Tales: The Underground Abductor (An Abolitionist Tale about Harriet Tubman)
  • Africa Is My Home: A Child of the Amistad
  • Stolen into Slavery: The True Story of Solomon Northup, Free Black Man
  • More Than Anything Else
  • Kaleidoscope Eyes
  • The Education of Mary: A Little Miss of Color, 1832
  • Rhythm Ride: A Road Trip Through the Motown Sound
  • Superman Versus The Ku Klux Klan: The True Story of How the Iconic Superhero Battled the Men of Hate
  • A Strong Right Arm: The Story of Mamie "Peanut" Johnson
  • Stealing South: A Story of the Underground Railroad
  • We've Got a Job: The 1963 Birmingham Children's March
Elisa Carbone was raised in Arlington, Virginia. She attended college at University of Maryland and also received two master’s degrees from University of Maryland, one in Speech Communication and the other in Education.
She now lives part time in the Washington D.C. area and part time in the mountains of West Virginia.
More about Elisa Carbone...