Start by marking “Stealing Freedom” as Want to Read:
Stealing Freedom

Stealing Freedom

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  250 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Inspired by a true story, the riveting novel of a young slave girl's harrowing escape to freedom on the Underground Railroad.

The moment Ann Maria Weems was born, her freedom was stolen from her. Like her family and the other slaves on the farm, Ann works from sunup to sundown and obeys the orders of her master. Then one day, Ann's family -- the only joy she knows -- is gon...more
Published January 9th 2001 by Yearling (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Stealing Freedom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stealing Freedom

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Escape of Princess Madeline by Kirstin PulioffDigitus 233 by K.D. EmersonSwitch! The Lost Kingdoms of Karibu by Karen  PrinceThe Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
Great Middle Grade Reads
377th out of 399 books — 426 voters
Alanna by Tamora PierceGraceling by Kristin CashoreTwelfth Night by William ShakespeareEon by Alison GoodmanLeviathan by Scott Westerfeld
Girls disguised as Boys
214th out of 336 books — 398 voters

More lists with this book...

Rebecca Douglass
Stealing Freedom is the story of one slave girl who manages to reach freedom. Based on the historical accounts of Ann Maria Weems' escape from Rockville, Maryland, to Dresden, Ontario (Canada was, in the late 1840s, the only place a slave could go to get beyond the reach of the slave catchers, thanks to the Fugitive Slave Act).

When the story opens, Ann is not unhappy with her lot in life. Food is a little sparse, and she has too little clothing, especially in winter. But she has the most import...more
02erinb
Stealing Freedom by Elisa Carbon is a great book! First published in 1998 it's about 258 pages long and intended for anyone to read! Although the book might be written for more young adults, anyone could read and enjoy this book. Stealing Freedom takes place around the mid 1800's down in Maryland. Ann Maria Weems and her family are black slaves living in Maryland that serve Master Charles. Master Charles is a white man who is rather ill tempered and not very patient.
This book begins with Ann...more
Penn 6
The book is about a girl and her family back in slavery. Her family gets sold away and she has to figure out how she will see them again. The girl meets people who try and comfort her in time of need. The setting is a house and a small town.

I like this book because it’s very sad and interesting. Yes, I did have strong feelings. My strong feelings were a negative reaction because the story was just sad, but loving. This book did make me feel different in a way. I should not take my life for grant...more
Elaine

Sometimes you just know that a book is going to be good. After looking at the cover (I love the title) and reading the small blurb on the back, I knew. This one is definitely going to be a “hugger.” I’m happy to say that I was right. I loved this book!

“Stealing Freedom” is based on the real life experiences of Ann Maria Weems. It takes place in 1850’s Maryland. Ann Maria was a slave for the Price family along with her Mother, Sister and Brothers. Her Father was a Freedman. Ann’s life as a slave...more
Tifnie
Stealing Freedom is about a family who is mostly born into slavery. When a couple members of the family up and leave; escaping North to Canada, the rest of the family decides they are going to "buy" their freedom instead of risking it by running away. Unfortunately, their owner has other ideas. After he breaks up the family of 7, he allows their freedom bought with the exception of the youngest daughter. This book is about the plight of Ann Marie Weems, the daughter left behind and how she attem...more
Katie Clark
I really enjoyed reading this book. This book tells the story of a young slave girl named Ann who lives with her mother, father, sister, and brothers on a plantation. Ann's family are slaves who work in the fields, but her father is a freeman who also works in those same fields hoping one day to raise enough money to by his families freedom. One day, after Ann's brothers are sold and sent south, her father gets fed up and travels to meet with an abolitionist to ask them for help. The abolitionis...more
Galion Public Library Teens
Review by C.J.: "I liked that it always had suspense. I did not dislike anything. Someone that likes history would like this."
Scott Williams
9fe4c6f9-3db5-463a-90b5-493dd3f4884d
Catherine  Mustread
Based on the true story of Ann Maria Weems, born into slavery in the 1840s. As her owner changes careers from slave owner to slave trader he sells off members of her family until Ann Maria is the only one left. She is determined to travel via the Underground Railroad to freedom in Canada, and she does it by disguising herself as a boy. 2002 nominee for Arizona Young Readers Choice Award. Grades 4+.
Heather
Based on a true story about a slave girl trying to find freedom. Her family has been granted their freedom except for Anne.

The book did start off slow. I was a little bored for the first 50 pages or so, but then it kept picking up especially during her escape.

Great for upper elementary on the slavery that doesn't have to do with the underground railroad or buying of freedom.
Sidikha
Oct 02, 2009 Sidikha rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone, especially those studing the civil war at the moment
Recommended to Sidikha by: Mrs. Dawber
This book is a true story of a runaway slave, who escaped slavery through the underground railroad. Ann Maria Weems is the main character and this booked is based on her perilous journey from being a slave to freedom.I truly enjoyed this book and i recomend, others read the "Stealing Freedom," too!
Aiyana
An impressively researched piece of historical fiction, this novel follows a young slave's life from her hard but endurable childhood, through the changes in her life, including the loss of her family that propels her to finally seek her freedom via the underground railroad.
Sue
Jun 20, 2008 Sue rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Sue by: Jennifer Bartlett
apparently there is an update in People Magazine about the children and how things ended up for them. Haven't read it yet, but they sure deserve happiness. I was reminded of "The Color of Water" but on a young adult reading level.
Susan
I normally don't like historical fiction books, but this one is like WOW.
I loved every single page of it.
Carbone makes the characters come to life, I actually felt like a part of the story and adventure in this book.
Lynn
This was a very quick read and full of the historical details I love. What kept me from giving this book a higher rating was the cheesy and hard to accept as fact last chapter. But to each their own opinion!
Kelly
Amazingly well written, based on a true story! This is the story of a young slave girl and what happens throughout her life. The author's note is one of the most interesting parts of the book!!
Olivia Schrader
Feb 09, 2013 Olivia Schrader rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Nobody
Recommended to Olivia by: Teacher made me read it.
Terrible book. From the time Bigelow 'stole' Ann on, everything just seemed to happen at the perfect time in the perfect place. And we all know that that is something that NEVER happens.
Annie Oosterwyk
Good middle grade content. Not too graphic, nor too simplistic. The breaking up of family is the focus, as well as the inequality between races- even if the blacks are free.
Mustaqo
this book is about a salve who is going to escape to canada to be free as the white people in 1863. this teach us how to treat others who is different than your skin color.
Lynne Fike

This showed a different part of the story of the Underground Railroad for me. So many people acted with courage and conviction during this time in our history.
Janie Sippel
Fantastic story about slave life and the daring escape to freedom!! Great book for history buffs. This story is based on a true life girl and her experiences.
Ines
this was a really good book! so many adventures! there are some really tragic parts that show how horrible slavery in the 1800's was...
Mrs. Schlosser
I enjoyed this historical fiction that is based on an actually runaway slave. I learned a lot about the underground railroad.
Emily Schutte
Gracie and I enjoyed this book. It was age appropriate and discussed slavery in a very real way. Gracie liked the love story.
Monica P.
I had to read this book for school. It's okay. I mean I wouldn't have chosen that book to read but it wasn't bad.
Sue King
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Great story, based on a true event, of an escape through the Underground Railroad.
Taylor White
i love this book i have to read it for school and its really good....!!
Salimata
Oct 19, 2010 Salimata is currently reading it
Interesting book. Sad story tho.
108A TE Fall 2011: Stealing Freedom 9 12 Dec 02, 2011 03:19PM
  • Taking Liberty: The Story of Oney Judge, George Washington's Runaway Slave
  • Trouble's Daughter: The Story of Susanna Hutchinson, Indian Captive
  • Forty Acres and Maybe a Mule
  • Behind You
  • Once On This Island (Mackinac Island Trilogy, #1)
  • Prairie River: A Journey of Faith (Prairie River, #1)
  • Where the Broken Heart Still Beats: The Story of Cynthia Ann Parker
  • Never Forgotten
  • Letters From Wolfie
  • New Boy
  • Steal Away Home
Elisa Carbone was raised in Arlington, Virginia. She attended college at University of Maryland and also received two master’s degrees from University of Maryland, one in Speech Communication and the other in Education.
She now lives part time in the Washington D.C. area and part time in the mountains of West Virginia.
More about Elisa Carbone...
Blood on the River: James Town 1607 Jump Storm Warriors Night Running: How James Escaped with the Help of His Faithful Dog The Pack