Start by marking “Hannah's Journey (Amish Brides of Celery Fields, #1)” as Want to Read:
Hannah's Journey (Amish Brides of Celery Fields, #1)

Hannah's Journey (Amish Brides of Celery Fields #1)

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  90 ratings  ·  21 reviews
What could bring an Amish widow and a wealthy circus owner together? Though Hannah Goodloe knew she'd violated countless unwritten laws, she had to visit the only man who could help find her runaway son. But when the enigmatic Levi Harmon agreed to take her on his train, the results were utterly unpredictable.Levi never expected to find the embodiment of all he wanted in a ...more
Published May 1st 2011 by Love Inspired Historicals (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Hannah's Journey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hannah's Journey

Kate
Levi Harmon, satisfied with his life and fortune, he has built for himself. He receives a visit from Hannah Goodloe, an Amish woman searching for her 11 yr old son Caleb who has run away and thought to be amongst the staff of his traveling circus. Levi makes her an offer to accompany him on his circus train to search for and bring back her son. When she approached the bishop about Levi's offer, the bishop requested two others of her family need to accompany her. Onboard, Levi comes up with a bus ...more
Title: HANNAH’S JOURNEY
Author: Anna Schmidt
Publisher: Love Inspired Historical
May 2011
ISBN: 978-0-373-82868-5
Genre: Inspirational/historical/romance/Amish

Hannah Goodloe is an Amish woman, desperate to find her eleven-year-old son, Caleb. Caleb had visited a circus the day before and that night had vanished. Hannah believes he ran away to join the circus, so she gathered her courage and went to visit the owner of the circus, Levi Harmon, to request that he return her son.

Levi is a bit confused b
Camille
Hannah's Journey by Anna Schmidt

We selected this book as our January 2012 group read.

What a unique combination of topics in this book! Hannah's Journey is historical Amish fiction (and if you know me, you know this is one of my favorite blends). But beyond that, this particular book also has much of the plot involving life in a traveling circus!

Who would have though, the Amish and traveling circuses. A very unique blend that is almost counter-intuitive. The book starts with Hannah Goodloe, a you
Veronica
Rachel Brand
RATING: 8 OUT OF 10

I was initially rather sceptical of the premise of a story based around an Amish woman and a circus owner but this book turned out to be very compelling and enlightening with regards to life in 1920s Florida. The circus details were fascinating, particularly to someone whose only knowledge of circuses comes from Enid Blyton books, as was the information about the new Amish settlements that formed in Sarasota in this period.

All the members of Hannah's family were very engaging
Kate
I belong to a group of Amish fiction lovers here on GoodReads, and each month, two books are chosen for the group to read together. January’s ‘Amish’ choice was ‘Hannah’s Journey’ by Anna Schmidt. Most books in the ‘Amish fiction’ genre are set exclusively in the Amish community itself. This book was set primarily amongst a circus community in the late 1920s. Hannah’s son, Caleb, has run away with the circus that wealthy Levi Harmon owns, and Hannah turns to Levi for help in bringing her son hom ...more
Diane U
This story takes place in the mid-1920's in Florida. I have never read an Amish book whose community was from here. Hannah, along with her sister in law and father in law, take a train ride with the circus to find her son Caleb who ran away with the circus. It was discovered early that he was safe but the train had to make it's way to back to Wisconsin. The trip was interesting as they were in contact with circus performers but they stuck to their Plain ways.

Once they arrived in Wisconsin, Hanna
Lynda
Book 1 of the Amish Brides of Celery Fields. Yea -- it's "a little far-fetched". An Amish mother travels with a circus train along with her father-in-law & sister-in-law hoping to find her son who has -- you guessed it -- run away to join the circus.

The plot drags a bit but not because of the plot premise.
The book has a happy ending and I happen to like happy endings.
Beks
This was a plot line that required some serious emotional investment into the characters in order to enjoy the plot. Sadly the character who I liked the most was on of the sub-plot people who really didn't do anything throughout the story. The Amish plight put in here wasn't nearly as well done as in others I have read and well Hannah and Levi just weren't cutting it for me.

I did like the circus aspect, not something I have read about for a very long time...if ever...now that I think about it t
Angela Lynn Holland
This was my first book by this author. I enjoyed this book but to me it was a little slow moving at times. The more I read though the more I wanted to find out what was going to happen next. I like how Hannah and her family blended in so well with the circus family on the journey to find her son. The author does a good job in showing how close knit and friendly the Amish truly are. Another thing I enjoyed was that this told the story of how the Amish came to Florida. I don’t want to give away an ...more
April Suter
In 1928 a young fatherless Amish boy from Florida runs away with the circus. His mother, Hannah, meets the owner of the circus, Levi, and pleads with him to help her find her son. This leads to a journey with her father-in-law and sister-in-law on a train to Wisconsin. Will she find love again and will Levi's past become a part of his present?
This is a quick read. It is interesting to learn about how a circus traveled in the 1920's. The best theme of the novel is how Amish traditions of family a
Alana
I was hesitant to read this book based on the back cover summary. I ended up enjoying it.
Mindy Mcc
From ERC lending library... nice sweet story.
Paula-O
Dec 17, 2011 Paula-O marked it as to-read
I liked this story a lot, Hannah an amish woman has a son run away to the circus and she goes to the man that owns the circus for help not knowing that he grew up amish and left that life as a child running away and bacame a circus owner in life, Has God brought these two together to help both, you will be surprised at the way this story ends. if you like to read about the amish you will like this one.
Julie
This book was a quick read but it wasn't as engaging as some other Amish books. The plot was different and so it was fresh in that way. I would have liked more emotional engagement between the characters and the reader. I didn't feel that I really got enough of that (although it wasn't missing altogether).
Karen
A very interesting twist to the "normal" Amish book. Almost the entire book is set away from the Amish community - in a circus traveling company! I liked this book a lot. The ending was a bit predictable but getting to the end had a few unexpected twists.
Cathy Daniel
Another Anna Schmidt book I ADORED!! Her characterization is amazing and the storyline always has a gentle , down home feel I just love.
Jenny
This was a fun story. When I first read the back, I wasn't sure about the story. I was pleasantly surprised.
Christy
This unusual Amish story turned out a lot better than I had thought. Nice read.
Harlequin Books
Miniseries: Amish Brides of Celery Fields
PWRL
Apr 15, 2013 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-new
A
Carrie Probasco
Carrie Probasco marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2015
Rosemarie Kind
Rosemarie Kind marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015
Hannah Kilpatrick
Hannah Kilpatrick marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2015
Christina Mcgee
Christina Mcgee marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
patricia herzog
patricia herzog marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Marcie Dark
Marcie Dark marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Christmas Quilt (Brides of Amish Country, #5)
  • Anna's Gift (Hannah's Daughters, #3)
  • A Stranger's Wish (Amish Farm Trilogy, #1)
  • Plain Jayne (Plain and Simple, #1)
  • The Wounded Heart (Amish Quilt, #1)
  • A Harvest of Hearts (Amish of Seymour County, #2)
  • Abby Finds Her Calling (Home at Cedar Creek, #1)
  • Secrets of Harmony Grove
  • An Honorable Gentleman
  • A Simple Winter (Seasons of Lancaster #1)
  • A Life of Joy (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #4)
  • To Love and to Cherish (The Bliss Creek Amish #1)
  • An Amish Family Reunion
  • An Amish Christmas
  • What the Heart Sees: A Collection of Amish Romances
  • Rachel's Secret (The Riverhaven Years, #1)
Anna Schmidt is the award-winning author of over twenty works of historical and contemporary fiction. A reviewer from Romantic Times notes that “Schmidt is not timid about presenting her characters with their faults laid bare for the reader to see.”
Currently Anna is working on a new series set in WWII Germany with an American Quaker protagonist. The first novel--ALL GOD'S CHILDREN-has already bee
More about Anna Schmidt...

Amish Brides of Celery Fields (4 books)
  • Family Blessings (Amish Brides of Celery Fields, #2)
  • A Groom for Greta (Amish Brides of Celery Fields, #3)
  • Second Chance Proposal (Amish Brides of Celery Fields, #4)
All God's Children (Peacemakers, #1) A Stranger's Gift (Women of Pinecraft, #1) Seaside Cinderella (Nantucket Island, #1) Lasso Her Heart A Convenient Wife