Saturation

Saturation

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  32 ratings  ·  14 reviews
The psychological experience of withdrawal the morning after years of drinking four bottles of wine a day, every day, evokes the image of my mind being stretched and warped over an Event Horizon as it's about to be sucked down and through a Black Hole. My withdrawal/delirium tremens (DTs) were terrifying and excruciating.

My story takes the reader through my experiences of...more
Published (first published March 17th 2011)

Jennifer Place
Apr 28, 2011 Jennifer Place added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I wrote it.

Sandra
Exhausted.
Saturation, exhausted me.
I’m not a reader that will read a book just to finish it. If the book does not interest me, if it is poorly written, I won’t continue.
Saturation took up a lot of my time and simply because the author’s life spread before me with such surgical, calculated pain; the book was fascinating I could not look away.
The author did not ramble and almost had a third party, journalistic view point of her life. I found myself thinking about the book when I was not reading...more
Teresa
Personal recollection of authors struggle with addiction and what its like from a first hand account of struggling through the battle of recovery and relapse. The struggles to fight the itch to keep going and not to keep letting that itch be scratched as the author describes it best. i really liked the authors description of what addiction is and the battle is to fight it day in and day it. Her description was amazing. I am sorry she had such struggles though it has mad her who she is today and...more
Kathleen
Saturation is a memoir written by Jennifer Place, documenting her very real odyssey of battling alcoholism, dysfunctional family relationships, a toxic marriage to an enabler, and her journey towards self-discovery and sobriety.

This was not an easy story to read, but I admire the realistic, no holds barred, straight talking account that Ms. Place uses to tell her story. As a non-drinker that has had alcoholism affect both sides of my family, Jennifer's account of her bout with alcoholism and str...more
Jennifer Dahl
I bought 'Saturation' in an ongoing attempt to find hope for a loved one, and to offer hope to her mother. Little did I dream when I ordered the book I would see myself in its pages - and not be altogether proud of the sight. 'Saturation' will take you on one incredible ride after another, until you simply won't think the author can possibly survive one more day... and then she does. And she realizes she's got enough to live for that she finally makes the choice to save herself.

It was as I suspe...more
Shell
Disclaimer: I received this book free and was asked to write a review. The review is my honest opinion.

Jennifer Place writes about her struggle to get sober. As someone who has alcoholics in their family, I was very interested to learn why it is so hard to not drink. I thought it was just a matter of willpower and wanting to stop. This book showed me there was so much more involved.

While reading the book, I was not fond of Ms. Place. She wrote herself as being very unlikable, someone with no tac...more
Ally
(From my blog, Word Vagabond: Supporting Independent and Small Press Authors.)

When Jennifer Place entered a substance abuse treatment center for the first time, she was fresh out of jail and drinking four bottles of wine a day. She had given away custody of her two children, married a man she didn’t love, and moved several states away, all in a haze of alcohol. This book describes her journey through five treatment programs, struggling to free herself from her toxic relationship with drinking.

Th...more
Donna
I've had this book for a while. It was given to me by the author for an honest review. I've put off reading it because I thought it might be a difficult read. I've had first hand experience with dealing with alcoholics, and it is not a pleasant experience. I've become somewhat jaded as I've seen the 'falling off the wagon' far more than success with sobriety.

Jennifer writes about her struggles overcoming alcoholism. Have you ever been driving and come upon an accident, seeing the police and amb...more
Sherry Miller
I finished this book over a week ago. It grabbed me and reminded me what a horrible disease alcholism is. I was married to an alcholic for almost 20 years. Ms. Place bared her soul writing this book. She did it with humor and seriousness. She hid nothing. I laughed with her, I cried with her. This was a very touching memoir of an active alcholic. I could not put the book down. I am pleased that she is finally in recovery and I pray for this lovely woman that she will never pick up a drink again....more
Andrew Priddy
I'm a pretty busy guy, and if I can't put a book down it gets 5 stars. Also, I could really relate to the authors battle for survival, and in no way could have verbally expressed what she managed to put into writing. Her final insight took me straight into my own thoughts about myself and where I am in my journey, i felt she was writing parts of my story better than i could write it myself. I like the message she gave me at the ending, its unconventional (not a bad thing) but also envokes though...more
Mark Lutian
I was amazed that Ms. Place told her story with such clarity and detachment. I became so immersed in her narrative that at times it felt as though I was crawling through the wreckage of a roller coaster that had collapsed in the middle of my ride. I was most impressed by her ability to acknowledge her addiction and its effect on her life, something that most alcoholics I have known refuse to recognize.

I read it in two sittings: the first, late into the night until I could no longer keep my eyes...more
Lynn Plourde
Not sure how to rate... I find it took me until the last chapter to understand the struggle of alcoholism... I find the author dragged on about details that somewhat didn't really explain why she drinks and then she summarizes it in 4 pages at the end... It is still an eye opener.
Doreen
I thought this was a well written,plain and simple look at alcoholism
from an alcoholic.I appreciated the honesty and have gained much more in-sight to understanding my friend who is an alcoholic.
N Marion
I enjoyed reading Jennifer's story. Her style of writing is blunt and compelling, the tale of her struggles with alcohol addiction (the constant itch) and it's impact on her life.
Meg
Meg marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
May 12, 2014
Justin Schleifer
Justin Schleifer is currently reading it
Apr 08, 2014
Justin Schleifer
Justin Schleifer marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2014
Shawna
Shawna marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2013
Sammy Sutton
Sammy Sutton marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2013