Start by marking “Dragonlance: War of the Twins (Legends #2)” as Want to Read:
Dragonlance: War of the Twins (Legends #2)

Dragonlance: War of the Twins (Dragonlance: Legends #2)

4.10  ·  Rating Details  ·  20,744 Ratings  ·  151 Reviews
One hundred years have passed since the fiery Cataclysm that changed the face of Krynn forever. For one hundred years, the people of Krynn have struggled to survive. But for some, those one hundred years have passed in the blink of an eye.
Catapulted forward in time by Raistlin's powerful magic, Caramon and Crysania find themselves aiding the mage's unholy quest to master
Published May 24th 2011 by Wizards of the Coast (first published January 1st 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Dragonlance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dragonlance

Markus
There is a problem with DragonLance books. They feel amazingly good as long as you're captivated enough to actually enjoy them. But when you no longer enjoy them, all the huge flaws come crashing down on you.

Nothing about this series is particularly great. It is, however, a wonderful and enchanting series when it actually works. And sometimes, it simply doesn't.

War of the Twins is by far the weakest DragonLance book I have read so far. And yet I'm as excited as ever to read the next one.
Brad
Oct 09, 2010 Brad rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I will concede these points: 1. there is some pretty shabby writing in War of the Twins; 2. the more Tasslehoff Burrfoot, beloved Kender, becomes like a cliched high school girl, the more insufferable he becomes; 3. it's hard to swallow that Raistlin would make the mistakes he makes; 4. so much evil is done by the supposedly "good" characters without any recognition that their acts are evil that I am fairly certain that what I love about the book is not intended by the authors; 5. the authors ha ...more
David_mb
Sep 17, 2014 David_mb rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Kathryn
Jul 23, 2009 Kathryn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book came to me as a birthday present, from two very good friends who had never read any of the series. They just knew that a) I'm a twin and b) I love dragons. What they DIDN'T realize was that this was the second in this particular storyline, and since I'd never read any of the other Dragonlance books I ended up jumping in with no prior knowledge of the characters, or the world, or the story. And you know what? It worked perfectly. The characters were so wonderfully written that I ended u ...more
M. Joseph Murphy
Sequels are rarely as goos as the original. The Legends trilogy is actually better than the original. Raistlin is one of my all time favourite characters and I know I'm not alone here. The relationship between the brothers is heart-wretching. If you love fantasy and have not read this book yet do it now. Classic.
Ugur
War of the Twins is the second book of Dragonlance: Legends series, which was written by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman in 1986.

It is interesting to read a book which was written nearly 30 years ago and it is still a popular book among fantasy fiction readers.

After reading some Forgotten Realms novel, reading a Dragonlance novel is really interesting. Dragonlance world is more epic in style. Ok there are few characters and we are mostly reading similar characters and seeing similar places in Dr
Gary Greysonet
Jun 24, 2012 Gary Greysonet rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
War of the twins brings the Legends series proves once again that the quality is so even among the books it deserves mention for that alone.

Raistlin and Caramon each come into power and their long troubled relationship as brothers diverts to a bitter rivalry, toward redemption through wisdom and mutual understanding. Paladine plays a subtly supervisory role in things as always, and Tasselhoff is as singular in manifestation as ever.
David
Oct 28, 2015 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Zoran Krušvar
Aug 23, 2015 Zoran Krušvar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Dragonlance: Legends" is actually a good series. And that's weird, because game-inspired books do tend to suck big time. I give most credit for complexity of Raistlin's character and for the fact that Caramon suffers from PTSD. And that's just great, because too often fantasy heroes tend to be completely immune to distress and we know that human mind doesn't work that way.
Elar
Nov 16, 2014 Elar rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
Very dynamic and emotionally charged book as main character feelings are torn between logical thing and love for family. All this is spiced with epic battles, betrayals and old friends newly found.
Jay
Jan 31, 2016 Jay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy fans
Started slow with long scenes in the dark, but the character's grew so much and the characterizations were sooo deep throughout the whole book that it made the journey worthwhile. Loved the first-hand look at the Dwarven nations and some of the heroes mentioned in the first trilogy. Again, this book adds so much to the saga!
Conan Tigard
Nov 16, 2015 Conan Tigard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like the first book in the DragonLance Legend series, Time of the Twins, War of the Twins moves along at a rather slow pace. I did find this story a little more exciting, but was disappointed to find that my favorite character, Tasslehoff Burrfoot, was hardly in this story.

Focusing on the rest of the main characters, no one seems to be doing what they want besides Raistlin. Caramon only wants to travel forward in time to return to his wife. Crysania is seen as a witch, not a revered cleric, and
Dungeon Reader
tl;dr: Less satisfying than the previous novel due to some strange flaws, but still a good read. Spoilers may follow.

Here in War of the Twins, our protagonists return to wage a pointless and ultimately unsatisfying war against the Mountain Dwarves of Thorbardin.

A number of somewhat interesting characters are introduced in this novel (Kharas, Duncan, Reghar), and then just sort of wander out of the story again. Crysania is her same bland self. Caramon finally gets over Raistlin, which is nice to
Георги  Димитров (Grim)
Определено мога да кажа, че книгата ме изненада приятно.Значително по-добра е от първата книга от трилогията по две основни причини. Първо, доста по-динамична е и в нея реално се случва нещо. Второ, главните герои вече не се държат като възпитаници на помощното училище в 100% от времето (Е, с изключение на Кризантия...). И разбира се Тасълхоф (който бе основната причина да успея да дочета първата книга), който отново е на висота. ;)

Но все пак има и не дотам добри неща. Макар и по-добра в това от
Elizabeth
OK so much happens in this story. It was slow starting but entertaining once Tas left the Abyss. Caramon is back to himself and has been completely severed from Raist and we see what Raist is truly capable of.
Nicodemus Argent
Jan 03, 2016 Nicodemus Argent rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As I mentioned in my earlier reviews this is a series for the younger audience. Me, I'm just willfully non-adult.
This trilogy focuses on a man we have already seen to be amazingly selfish and bitter and the revelation within himself that he might still be a little bit good.

Spoiler: This series involves lots of time travel. It is not more into the dragons that plagued the world in the first three, it is about the history of the planet. The Dragons are inseparable to the Gods in this setting. And
Natalie
Jun 16, 2014 Natalie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: august-tbr
Kelanth
Mar 20, 2012 Kelanth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Spero nessuno ne voglia a male se recensisco questo libro considerandolo come parte unico delle "Leggende di Dragonlance" che comprende: "Il destino dei gemelli", "La guerra dei gemelli" e "La sfida dei gemelli". Anche perchè se non erro attualmente si trova in commercio appunto il volume che raccoglie tutti i tre romanzi che comprendono questa seconda parte del ciclo di "Dragonlance".

Per chi non lo sapesse (sei appena arrivato da Marte, amico?) "Dragonlance" è un'ampia raccolta di romanzi fanta
Jess
Aug 14, 2009 Jess rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
My second Dragonlance book.I have to admit that I didn't enjoy this as much as the first in the trilogy, Time of the Twins. It's a pretty good book, overall: enough action and intrigue (most of it created by Raistlin and his acting), though the second half was a little confusing.

The pacing was mostly all right, but near the last third of the book, after wars and dwarves and armies came into the picture, the action starts to get slowed down by some major exposition. For some, maybe, page upon pag
Ubiquitousbastard
I had a perfect review for this book, then my computer decided that wasn't to be, so I'll wing it now. First off, I love the beginning of this book. For some reason, I can still picture everything that happened very clearly, so I'm gonna say that the description was perfectly done. Then, this book definitely jerks around the emotions. (view spoiler) ...more
Dru
Oct 12, 2012 Dru rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, gaming
This will be my same review for all 7 books in the original double-trilogy (plus the 7th add on years later).

There are few D&D novelizations out there that are really worth reading. Only two series have I loved, and the original 6 (became 7) "Dragonlance" novels are one of those great series. (Gord the Rogue is the other).

At first when I read this, I was a bit put off because the "Krynn" world did not "agree" with D&D. The gods had different names (Bahamut = Paladine, Tiamut = Takhesis)
Blair
Sep 03, 2013 Blair rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
At some point later, perhaps I'll rant on about how much I love this series - at least the early Hickman-Weis core narrative. (The first 6 books, plus a later seventh, about 10 years later.) So much of it might be mired in nostalgia and newness; it was the first true adult fantasy stuff I had ever read. I was 11 years old. I got fully immersed. The characters are so compelling, from archmage Raistlin (perhaps the best fantasy character of all time, up there with Drizzt D'Ourden) all they way dow ...more
Dale
Sep 04, 2007 Dale rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dragonlance
This is the third book I read once I started my new commute in June '07. It's the second book in a trilogy, but I broke up the Dragonlance stuff with a memoir and some non-fiction.

Pretty much everything from my review of Time of the Twins applies to War of the Twins as well. It's good, geeky fun done very well, and the more likely you are to enjoy this kind of hard-core niche genre, the more likely you are to enjoy this particular example. Of the three books in the trilogy, this once concerns it
melydia
Apr 21, 2012 melydia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I need to not wait multiple years between reading these books, but luckily I was able to find my place fairly quickly. We rejoin all the characters from the previous book - Raistlin the crabby dark mage, his twin brother Caramon the somewhat dimwitted fighter, Crysania the beautiful and rather misguided cleric, and Tasslehoff the entertainingly amoral Kender - now one hundred years in the future from where they were (and still two hundred years before their own time). This time they find themsel ...more
Dany
Jun 19, 2015 Dany rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Como todos sus libros anteriores, Tracy y Margaret te dejan sin palabras. Raistlin es un personaje tan complejo, tan humano que es casi imposible no apreciarlo. No es el típico villano así como tampoco es el héroe, y su relación con su hermano y consigo mismo tiene una profundidad que, hasta ahora, no tuve el placer de leer en otras sagas. Un libro increíble, con una trama aún mejor y personajes tan realea que es imposible no sentirse identificados con ellos.
Kevinjwoods
Feb 24, 2015 Kevinjwoods rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Rereading these books after what must be over 20 years and astonishingly they are still quite enjoyable after all this time and the many other fantasy books I have read since which surely testifies to the quality of the writing. These are probably the ones that most fantasy readers first encountered and are responsible for more long term fantasy fans than anything else outside of tolkien and can still be recommended to newbies even today.
Ashley
Jan 24, 2012 Ashley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dragons
Well well well.. It's been awhile since I have immersed myself in the world of Dragonlance.... and I have to say, I have missed it. I'm glad I've decided to reread this series of books. It just as good the second time around! Tas and the twins provide ample entertainment. Tas can get into the amount of trouble as a two year old child. He is so eager to see everything and do everything he can before he dies and joins Flint in the afterlife. Raistlin's evil plans seem to be heading to his own demi ...more
Jasmyn
There's not much more you could ask for from a second book in a series. We return to the watch the brothers Caramon and Raistlin Majere in the next step in their adventures through time. Only now things are really starting to get interesting. Crysania and Tasslehoff haven't gone anywhere...in fact all four friends seem to be going everywhere and everywhen! We travel backwards and forwards through time as they desparately try to alter the past and there's even a trip or two into the depths of the ...more
Todd
Aug 19, 2014 Todd rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to the audio version of this book. The story wasn't as good as I remember it when I read it years ago. But still entertaining enough to listen to in the background as I work. I do enjoy the characters and the journeys they are on. And I will add all the stories I can with these characters just because I have become so invested in them.
Sameen Elahi
It's pretty clear that the writers made no effort to properly explain time travel in an even remotely believable way, but that's the charm of this series for me. That's the charm of all of DL--it doesn't try to pretend it's something it's not. Totally subjective, and I have no real reason for loving this book/series as much as I do, but alas.
  • Stormblade (Dragonlance: Heroes, #2)
  • The Kinslayer Wars (Dragonlance: Elven Nations, #2)
  • Kendermore (Dragonlance: Preludes, #2)
  • Night of Blood (Dragonlance: The Minotaur Wars, #1)
  • The Qualinesti (Dragonlance: Elven Nations, #3)
  • Weasel's Luck (Dragonlance: Heroes, #3)
  • Dark Heart (Dragonlance: Meetings Sextet, #3)
  • Brothers Majere (Dragonlance: Preludes, #3)
  • The Day of the Tempest (Dragonlance: Dragons of a New Age, #2)
Fantasy novelist who, along with Tracy Hickman, was one of the original creators of the Dragonlance game world. I've written numerous novels and short stories set in the world of Krynn, as well as series in other, original worlds. These include: Darksword, Rose of the Prophet, Star of the Guardians, DeathGate, Dragonvarld, Sovereign Stone, Dragonships, and the Dragon Brigade. I also wrote two para ...more
More about Margaret Weis...

Dragonlance: Legends (3 books)
  • Time of the Twins (Dragonlance: Legends, #1)
  • Test of the Twins (Dragonlance: Legends, #3)

“This wasn't in the histories", Raistlin murmured to himself, staring down at the little wretched bodies, his brow furrowed. His eyes flashed. "Perhaps", he breathed, "this means time has already been altered?"
For long moments he sat there, pondering. Then suddenly he understood.
None saw Raistlin's face, hidden as it was by his hood, or they would have noted a swift, sudden spasm of sorrow and anger pass across it.
"No," he said to himself bitterly, "the pitiful sacrifice of these poor creatures was left out of the histories not because it did not happen. It was left out simply because-"
He paused, staring grimly down at the small, broken bodies. "No one cared...”
3 likes
“every man had to walk through a dark, starless night and, when he faced the morning, he’d be better for it.” 1 likes