Black Numbers

Black Numbers

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  44 ratings  ·  11 reviews
In a land where magic is based on advanced mathematics, Sid is something special, for his awakening sexuality and genius-level understanding of mathematics combines to create a power beyond anything ever seen in the world. Sid’s journey propels him into the center of a 1000-year-struggle with an outcome obscured by a darkness known as Black Numbers.
Published May 24th 2011 by Fantasy Island Book Publishing (first published April 26th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Black Numbers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Numbers

J.A.
Black Numbers is different and profound. It made me pause in places and it made my skin crawl at certain moments. At times I thought, ‘how could the author write that’ and at other times I thought, ‘brilliant! Why didn’t I think of that?’.

It’s a story about a young man named Sidoro (Sid) who must journey to the Oblate. You the reader ride with Sid along the way. You feel what he feels. You share his compassion and his hatred for and of others. You also get to meet Crowdal – my personal favorite...more
Paul Barrett
This was the most poorly written book I've read in a long time. While the initial concept could make a great story, I couldn't get past the passive sentences, repetitive sentence structure, bouncing points of view, and tell/tell redundencies (This is where the author tells you what the characters are feeling/thinking and then immediately has the character tell another character what they're feeling/thinking)

Definitely suggest you pass on this one.
Breanna Iwaszko

This is an absolutely fantastic book! Wonderfully well written well thought out and a nonstop page turner. Highly recommended to anybody who loves fantasy fiction.
Brandon Shire
Quickly pulled me in and kept me engaged. Read it in one sitting. Looking forward to the next one.
Joan Hazel
As a professed geek I found the premise of Black Numbers rather intriguing. The idea of magic, math and sex being reliant upon each other is rather clever. The imaginary world Dean Lappi creates is as well described as his characters. It is very easy to climb into his world and imagine walking the road with his main character, Sid.

I will caution readers this may not be the book to read before going to bed. I made that mistake the first night. Lappi's monster, the Kopor, is one that gets under yo...more
Uwe Windhoven
I think the author is on the way, needs more practice. Great idea, but I couldn't get past then two rape scenes, one of which involved bestiality and genital mutilation. The magic implementation needs to be fleshed out a bit more.
Johanna Garth
Black Numbers is a hybrid of classic fantasy with a twist of mathematics thrown in. The main character, Siddoro, is on a journey. On this journey he meets interesting friends and frightening creatures who propel him toward his destiny as the Aleph Null (kind of like the king of numbers). Sid learns that he can use the mathematical equations in his head to create magic but there are other people in his world who are anxious to steal his power and retain it for themselves.

This is Lappi's debut wo...more
Helmy Kusuma
Black Numbers is a horror story that is too graphic at some point. Definitely not for the weak of heart. Although the main character Sid is not an adult but events he goes through in this novel could be considered holding adult themes. At first, Dean's style of story telling makes me furrow a little but I soon fall in love with it. He tells the story from a character's point of view until he hits an intersection and then traces all the way back from another character's POW.
Looking forward to re...more
Laney
Dean Lappi takes you on an exciting and magical adventure from the first page! Passion and love fill every chapter of this book. Definitely a must read for math lovers everywhere! Beware it is not for the weak of heart! Sit down, strap in and hold on! It's going to be a wild ride! I throughly enjoyed this literary work of art! I can wait for the next in the series, Blood Numbers!
Laney
Dean Lappi
Apr 28, 2011 Dean Lappi added it  ·  (Review from the author)
I just published this book. Any reviews would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Dean Lappi
Tajuahna
Tajuahna marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
Brandy
Brandy marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Slick
Slick marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Yamilé
Yamilé marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Ivy Christine
Ivy Christine marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2014
Don
Don marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
Vansii Letø
Vansii Letø marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014
Grace
Grace marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
Delaine
Delaine marked it as to-read
May 19, 2014
Tina
Tina marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
Aleksandrovna
Aleksandrovna marked it as to-read
May 07, 2014
Zahhroor
Zahhroor marked it as to-read
May 01, 2014
Angie
Angie marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2014
Chris Wang
Chris Wang marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2014
L.A.
L.A. marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2014
  • Sin
  • Losing Beauty
  • Brother, Betrayed
  • The Promise (The Coven, #1)
  • Last Kiss In Tiananmen Square
  • The Last Good Knight (Billy's Revenge #1)
  • The Bird with the Broken Wing
  • The Assembly Room
  • The Shattered Door
  • Slow Boat to Purgatory
  • Sand
  • The Angels Are Here (Paradox, #1)
  • Puppet Parade
Dean Lappi is the author of The Aleph Null Chronicles dark fantasy series that blends sexuality, science, and horror into the traditional fantasy genre. He created a world populated with characters that live and breathe, love and hurt. They face trials anyone can understand but in a fantastical world of mathematics-based magic, monsters out of your worst nightmares, sword masters who aren’t human,...more
More about Dean Frank Lappi...
Blood Numbers: The Aleph Null Chronicles: Book Two Black Numbers: The Aleph Null Chronicles: Book One