Start by marking “Little Miss Independent” as Want to Read:
Little Miss Independent

Little Miss Independent

Adelaide Bruce was just a girl in braids when her brother's best friend, Naval Captain Lord Drayton, left for war. Now, five years later, Lord Drayton has returned to London with hideous battle scars that have made him a social pariah. Adelaide doesn't see Roan's wounds, but rather the man she has always secretly loved. Although she has been courted by a handsome lord with ...more
Published April 9th 2011 (first published April 7th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Little Miss Independent, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Miss Independent

Romancing the Book
May 15, 2012 Romancing the Book rated it liked it
Shelves: historical, regency
Posted on Romancing the Book's blog
Reviewed by Nichelle
Reviewed Copy Provided by purchase for pleasure

Addy has loved Roan since she was a young girl, she now wishes to prove to him when he comes back as a war hero whose visage has changed because of the war. I loved their interactions with each other. It was refreshing to see the heroine go after what she wants. Roan being the damaged hero cannot believe that Addy who is beautiful and of marriageable age would want him. The story had a lot of an
Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship}
Oh! So close! Fantabulously enjoyable Beauty and the Beast shorty, progressing rather well, as it crescendos...happyeveraftertheend. Nooooo! It was so abruptly ended I have burn marks on my ass, having skidded out of the story. 4 stars anyway, but that extra star was available for the taking. Thrown away, it was. Thrown away!
Stacy
Aug 08, 2012 Stacy rated it really liked it
Shelves: summer-2012, amazon
I am pleased for this novel being free on Amazon since it's so freaking short. I thought I was only a couple chapters in and lo and behold, 50% complete on my kindle. Wah?

Anyway, very stereotypical romp in 1800s London. Love me some 1800s London fiction so I really enjoyed it. Super quick read and I kind of wished the author had drawn it out a bit more, but hey, it was a freebie on Amazon.
Denise
Aug 01, 2011 Denise rated it really liked it
Short but good.
adelina.
Nov 25, 2012 adelina. rated it really liked it
A very sweet story about man who has a wounded soul/appearance and woman who loves him despite everything.
SheLove2Read
Jul 22, 2012 SheLove2Read rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
Sweet story about a scarred war veteran and a young debutante/family friend. I really wish this could have been longer than the 40 pages it was. Just starting to get good and it's over.
Morag
Mar 26, 2017 Morag rated it liked it
lovely easy reading, short story
Chrissy
Jan 10, 2013 Chrissy rated it it was ok
THE REASON
I chose to read LITTLE MISS INDEPENDENT because it was a Kindle freebie and also was listed as a romance without sex. That would be a refreshing change to the romances I've encountered lately...

THE PLOT
Roan has just come back from battle with an enormous, deforming scar across his face. His fiance has left him and the women from the English Regency who were previously fighting for his attention have now completely shunned him. He feels like the outcast, for sure...

Addy, the younger sis
Lady Raven RAVE!
May 31, 2011 Lady Raven RAVE! rated it really liked it
A very high 3 1/2 stars

I am a very very big fan of Julie Templeton and love her work. I liked this book it was very sweet but it didn't feel like her best. The story is about Roan and Addy, Roan has return of the war with battle scars to his neck, cheeks and hands cause by fire, the very once handsome Roan isn't the talk of the town anymore because of this as everyone look at him now as a monster, he is also Addy's brother best friend. Addy for me as lovable as I found her she was very young at
J.C. Cauthon
Jun 21, 2014 J.C. Cauthon rated it really liked it
This was a cute, quick regency romance read. It is right at 10,000 words long, so most readers can have it read in less than an hour. Because this was a quick read, there were several aspects that one comes to expect from a regency romance missing from it, but I think that it made the story even better. Without all the extra drama that comes from drawing out a romantic relationship in a regency novel, I was able to really look at the characters and enjoy them for what they were: two young people ...more
Tonileg
This is story was surprisingly well written with a strong 18 year old heroine Addy Bruce. She was born into nobility and English Regency society where is was already the belle of the ball in her first season in the London Ton. We meet Lord Drayton right away and find out that he has survived from a near death attack and is left with terrible burns and scars on his face and body. He used to be the hottest ticket in town, but now he is abandoned by his fiance and his old mistresses. Addy has alway ...more
Maggie Hesseling
Jun 04, 2014 Maggie Hesseling rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
Who would have a man who is so scarred? Addy. She doesn't see them, or rather sees more- the man underneath, the one she's loved since the age of eight. A wonderful little short story, which touches on the insecurities vetrans return with- scars that can be both on the outside and inside. Great use of language. I love how Roan seems to be befuddled through most of it, but man enough to step up as well.
Ewa
I usually hate stories with heroines pining for this one guy for couple of years. They almost always seem pathetic. Addy was the opposite, she was great with her firm support for Roan.

I guess it's hard to write a short story. You have to cram all the drama and conflicts in a limited word count. As usual with this format I felt that the ending was rushed. I'm pretty sure hero mistaken love with lust.

Overall very nice story about decent people.
V
May 09, 2013 V rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013, romance
This novella, while fast moving, develops the feeling of mutual love and attraction between the hero and heroine in a rather believable way (allowing of course for the suspension of disbelief necessary to the genre). Well written and playing out exactly as the reader would wish, the only thing "wrong" with this story is its length -- Templeton would have done well to develop this into a full length book. This read is certainly worth the time.
Lizabeth Tucker
Lord Roan Drayton returned home from the war horrible scarred, the subject of snide remarks and redirected looks from London Society. Childhood friend Adelaide Bruce is one of the few who doesn’t react to him as a monster, but as a man, one she desires.

Wonderful set up, interesting characters, and fitting as I read this on Memorial Day. An abrupt ending weakened the overall impact, yet this is still a good read. 3.5 out of 5
Emily
Aug 05, 2012 Emily rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Young Adult Women/Women
Recommended to Emily by: Amazon ebook
Loved. Loved. Loved.

I think this is one of the best historical romance novellas that I've ever read. It was simply sensual and delicious. I honestly didn't want it to end. I kept wishing it were a full length novel, so that the sexual tension between Roan and Addy would continue. I envisioned a spin off with Addy's brother Jack.

This was a perfect novella.
Niki
May 24, 2013 Niki rated it it was ok
I really likes the damaged hero but the heroine and her brother were idiots. How did he not notice the suitor was a total drunk? How did he not realize he made Addy feel like he wanted her gone? Why was Addy leading on that idiot and why did she not care how that would affect her future prospects??? Too many irritating questions.
Sheri
Feb 29, 2016 Sheri rated it it was amazing
After reading several other short stories recently and being somewhat disappointed, I wasn't expecting to like this one either. However, I was pleasantly surprised. It was a wonderful, sweet story. I only wish the author had given it a little more thought and made it longer. Even so, I give it 5 stars.
Book Him Danno
Aug 12, 2012 Book Him Danno rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
This is a short story Regency Romance and the cover is very misleading. A shot story that had a good flow up until the end and then it slammed finished. I would have liked a few more pages so that the ending had the same feeling as the rest of the book. No sex, just a few stolen kisses along the few pages.
Melanie
This was a really cute story, passionate while only containing kisses, and overall I enjoyed it. Unfortunately, due to the length, it feels rushed and overly dramatic. Still a fun read, though, and I would definitely try more from this author.
Jenn
Aug 27, 2014 Jenn rated it really liked it
I loved it!

I loved it!

I really wasn't expecting much for .99¢ and the story is short but very enjoyable. Well worth the price. I'm looking forward to reading the authors other books.

Trish
Mar 26, 2013 Trish rated it really liked it
I loved the premise of the story, a bit different. It was very short, I think I finished it all in my lunch hour. I would've loved to have it drawn out a bit more, I liked the characters a lot. Would happily read more by this author.
Jackie
So it is very short, it is also a sweet sentimental reminder to never judge by ones appearance as Addy's story proved without a doubt that looks do not make a person worthy but their inner character does!
Joanna V
Aug 09, 2012 Joanna V rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle
Just a very short story. A scarred war veteran and the little sister of his best friend who has always had a thing for him. Liked the characters a lot but there were way too many historical mistakes for the period. Pretty meh.
Carrie Olguin
Mar 08, 2013 Carrie Olguin rated it liked it
A short romance. Not much conflict. Hero and heroine have known each other since childhood. In the year of her comeout, he returns home from war a scarred man.

There are few obstacles to their romance so there isn't much conflict. But the read is short, pleasant and entertaining.
Denise Koopman
Sep 09, 2014 Denise Koopman rated it really liked it
Ok for me. That's about all I can say.
Victoria
Aug 02, 2012 Victoria rated it it was amazing
The perfect short romance story that I finished in hours
Misty
Jan 28, 2014 Misty added it
Good read

it is a good short story. maybe a little to short but I enjoyed the hero and heroine. when u know it's right that's all that matters.
CJ - It's only a Paper Moon
Underdeveloped and moved at a breakneck speed that did nothing to serve the plot or characters.

Had potential.
Tilly
May 03, 2013 Tilly rated it liked it
really short.
  • A Gentle Grace (Wedded Women Quartet, #4)
  • The Misbehaving Marquess (Nottinghamshire, #2)
  • With this Kiss
  • The Lesson Plan (Lords of Lancashire #1)
  • Seducing Miss Dunaway
  • Desperate Measures (A Regency Short Story)
  • Love's Portrait
  • Lavender Vows (The Medieval Herb Garden, #1)
  • All's Fair in Love & Seduction (The Elusive Lords, #2.5)
  • Wicked Mourning
  • In the Garden of Temptation (Garden, #1)
  • Pieces of Dreams
  • An Unforgettable Rogue (Rogues Club, #2)
  • To Love A Thief (Secrets & Scandals, #4)
  • Caroline and the Duke
  • Beauty Tempts the Beast
  • Forevermore (The Jewel Trilogy #2.5)
  • When Love is Enough (The Brotherhood #1)
I was born in Crescent City , California , a small logging town on the Pacific coast, home of enormous redwood trees and clear rivers. I have great memories of playing on stumps the size of small houses on my grandmother's acreage in a little town just north of Crescent City called Fort Dick . My sister and I would take daily walks to the main street store—an old, tiny white building that included ...more
More about Julia Templeton...