All These Things Shall Give Thee Experience

All These Things Shall Give Thee Experience

4.55 of 5 stars 4.55  ·  rating details  ·  1,411 ratings  ·  150 reviews
In the midst of deep affliction, the Prophet Joseph Smith was told, "All these things shall give thee experience, and shall be for thy good." The world at that moment was shown anew that God is aware of man's sufering, and that pain is not without purpose. Such concepts are not always easy to accept, but, as Elder Maxwell observes, "the hardness is usually not in their com...more
Published March 20th 2007 by Deseret Book Company (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about All These Things Shall Give Thee Experience, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All These Things Shall Give Thee Experience

Heather
This is a WONDERFUL book! It takes a minute to adjust to Elder Maxwell's writing - he is so smart and there is so much to everything that he says. He shares so many important insights about God, the importance and reason for suffering and trials, the importance of service, love, communication, honesty, correction, prayer, following our leaders and basically becoming a true disciple of Christ.

There were so many important reminders for me in this book. Elder Maxwell teaches so clearly how we must...more
Robyn
Feb 19, 2014 Robyn rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who gets sick and tired of adversity.
Recommended to Robyn by: Title from Fred Newson's cabin library
I enjoyed the first half of this old book better than the last half.

I always loved hearing this man speak. He is a master wordsmith. The following are only two of the best quotes from this book.

"Life is a school in which we enrolled not only voluntarily but rejoicingly; and if the school's headmaster employs a curriculum--proven again and again on other planets, to bring happiness to partic...more
Dave
Elder Maxwell's words were incredibly important to me while he was still with us, and it finally dawned on me a few months ago to start reading his written contributions.

The other day, I had a conversation with my father-in-law about books that you never finish despite having read them many times. The ideas are so complex, the insights too profound to be understood in a tight little package. This is one of those books--a prime synthesis of key aspects of discipleship as understood by Mormon theo...more
Brittany
This was the abridged book, read by the author. I love listening to Elder Maxwell! This book had a lot of insights into our eternal lives beyond day-to-day happenings. It helps in dealing with challenges. I plan to listen to it multiple times.
Michele
I loved this book. Elder Maxwell is so eloquent and sometimes hard to read, but I didn't find this book like that at all (the hard to read part. It was eloquent as always). He experienced many hard things in his life, and knowing that, as well as his grasp of the Gospel helped me as I read and tried to understand the principles he was exploring.
I particularly liked the chapter on communication, as that is something that I am constantly trying to improve in myself.
I have read this book at least...more
Natalie
Dec 03, 2009 Natalie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Natalie by: Stephen Baer

Neal A. Maxwell has a gift for condensing immense ideas into single phrases, sentences, or short paragraphs that convey layers of meaning -- truly thoughts to ponder at length. I found this almost distracting to my attempts to read and return the book to its lender. It was difficult to read and then attempt to absorb, ponder, evaluate any given section without moving at a snail's pace.

I highly recommend this book; and I recommend reading a chapter or a section of a chapter at a time, giving ampl

Debbie
This was an incredibly well written book. I listened to it on cd and loved hearing Neil A Maxwell's voice once again. There were times I had to rewind a sentence over and over again just to comprehend all that he says in such a few words. He teaches pure doctrine that illuminates so very brightly through the darkness that mortality can sometimes create.

Some of my most favorite points were:
1:The with holding of key communications can be even more serious than with holding one's material substance...more
Jenae
This book is absolutely amazing.

One of my favorite quotes in the book, "Our capacity to grown and to assist each other depends very much on our being "willing to communicate." (1 Timothy 6:18) communication includes proper measures of counsel, correction, and commendation. Since we depend upon each other to supply these ingredients in our lives, our insensitivity in communicating can be far more damaging than we realize. When we "pass by" others and "notice them not," a degree of deprivation oc...more
Robert
"Without the veil, for instance, we would lose that precious insulation which keeps us from a profound and disabling homesickness that would interfere with our mortal probation and maturation." Page 10

"Worshipful acknowledgment of an omniscient God will cause us to cooperate in the stretching of our souls." Page 13

"All of us should strive, therefore, to have some friendships that are deep and solid-so solid, for instance, that if they were interrupted, the unfinished conversation could be resume...more
Katie
Excellent book; in each chapter Elder Maxwell tackles a different "hard doctrine." As I read, I felt like he was telling me, though all these principles may be difficult, as you live them you will grow, they will "give thee experience," which experience draws you unto Christ.

My favorite chapters were about suffering & service. When going through trials, it is comforting to read the words of a prophet who tells you that this suffering is part of the plan & that the Lord is aware of you &...more
Kelli
Although life has many challenges, if we can believe that our trials will benefit us, we can bear our difficulties well....and even eventually appreciate them. I especially learned from the chapter titled "The Fellowship of His Sufferings". The author mentions Victor Frankl's experiences in a concentration camp (and I highly recommend his book documenting this ordeal, "Man's Search for Meaning"). Frankl discovered through this horrific trial that the one thing he could not be robbed of was his f...more
Brent Christensen
Great book. I had a hard time getting into it because, well, I'm not as smart as Elder Maxwell. The language is difficult unless you aren't trying to read it in down time at work. Some of it was extremely pertinent to my life in an important time. I would recommend it for sure, but it would probably be more impact flu the second time reading it if, like me, you haven't read much of his work before.
Ryan Stoddard
Awesome book. Seriously. But would you expect any less from the Elder Maxwell, the wordsmith. The book covered a range of topics that I did not expect from the title. I was expecting a book that was focused more on trials, but also touched on several important areas like prayer, following our leaders, and more.

Read this book. It is an extremely quick read.
Tyler
Wow! Elder Maxwell is such a fantastic writer! He crafts words and sentences in a wonderful and masterful way. More important than his excellence as a wordsmith, however, are the profound, deep and wondrous insights he gives into our relationship with God, life, adversity and the gospel (which are of course all very interrelated subjects), among other topics. Elder Maxwell has such an insightful perspective that helps us to see things in a totally different way. A very inspiring and enlightening...more
George
Feb 09, 2014 George added it
This book discusses different reasons we have hardship and suffering in this life. Type I suffering - we make mistakes 'knowlingly' that have painful consequences. Type II, the rain falls on the just and unjust. It's just a part of the imperfect human condition. Type III is when the Lord is testing us, refining, and teaching us. Those the Lord loves, he chastises.
Heather Fisher
Neal A. Maxwell is the first prophet I really bonded with. His words always connected and moved me and I was always inspired by his insights. I was sad when he passed, but his words have given me so much comfort. I reached for this book when I was really struggling with being angry about where my life was going and all the things I could not control. Basically I was not happy with where my life was, and I didn't know how to deal with it. The first chapter suprised me because I was expecting the...more
Mia Israelsen Blackwelder
I LOVE this book! This is the second time I've read it through, and it taught me so much again. Elder maxwell is so eloquent and has such an incredible understanding of these hard doctrines. I think it's so easy to underestimate the importance of these things like prayer, enduring trials, understanding God's true nature, obeying our leaders, and communication. But all these things make such a huge difference in our spiritual development. This book always helps me to keep a good perspective in th...more
Jenny
This is such great read! My Grandma gave this to me on a girls weekend as a 'my favorite things' gift exchange. She has referred to this book during some very trying trails in her life, and I knew I had to read it!
If you want to gain a deeper understanding about why we are here on earth, and to understand how God is omniscient in all things, then read this book. It is pretty short (133 pages) but is so deep that you really have to pay attention to each paragraph to get the full meaning. I need...more
LauraLee
Elder Maxwell always makes me think outside the box. I love and miss him. Great book, reminds me how little I truly know in the eternal scheme of things.
Lora
Amazing. I usually have a hard time getting into "church" books, but this one was a different story. By the end, I was carrying it everywhere-- reading in between classes, at lunch, any free moment! The best part was that it answered a lot of my questions about life. And it gave me a lot of food for thought. And it changed my view of life and God's plan for me.

I would recommend this book to anyone, but especially to anyone who wonders how trials, faith, prayer, and God's will work. I don't have...more
Tia
Incredible how a book that has sat on my bookshelf for so long, unread, could be so profoundly important to me at this moment in my life right now! Thank you, Tom, for cleaning out the books and moving this to a place where it caught my attention. I have learned so much about myself and God and Jesus Christ from this book. I am amazed at how ready I was for the specific information in this book right now. Just another reminder that I am blessed, watched over and that I am known intimately by my...more
Nohreen
This book is amazing! I'm grateful to a wonderful friend (you know who you are) for having the keen insight to know that I would love & enjoy this book. The wonderful messages in this book about getting a deeper understanding of life's hardships & trials, are just what I needed & craved. They have absolutely filled my personal faith reservoir, from which I will be drawing a lot, most especially in the next few months. I'm grateful for this book & for the many lessons Elder Maxwel...more
Wendy
I LOVED this book and I'm so glad I bought it because I have marked up almost every page. It's a fairly short read but full of insight. Maxwell's writing style is beautiful, but can cause you to have to reread a few sentences just to make sure you understand them.
Overall, I'd say this book is about better understanding Gods role in each personal life, being more thoughtful about the point of suffering, and understanding that we are are each others "clinical material" for learning and growth.
Danalee
Listening on audiobook. LOVE it! I love hearing his voice! He is one that I think I will always miss and long for during General Conference. His words in this book are answers to prayer for me right now, I find myself saying-"Yes, that's it, isn't it!" "That's so true..." "Now that really makes sense to me." I am so grateful for the trials I have "experienced" so that I can understand on some level the things that he so eloquently describes, among many other reasons to be grateful for them.
Nathan Money
Good book, one of those that you can't just sit and blow through, which is kind of what I did and I feel like I missed out on a lot of it. Went a lot deeper into things than just what the title talks about. One chapter about communication, another solely about the difficulty of having good prayers. A short book but lots of great stuff inside. Kind of reminds me of reading CS Lewis where you have to go back and read things and think about them a lot to get the full effect.
Heidi
Not what I expected from the title or description, but it was great. Could there have been any doubt of that? I always loved Elder Maxwell. With audio, I couldn't make notes in the margin and I wasn't really taking other kinds of notes. But various gems stood out and I hope to remember them and apply them.

A wonderful thing to listen to LDS leaders' books on Sunday afternoons while I make dinner or crochet or whatnot. I would like to do more of this!
Shae
This is a pithy book that I picked up and put down over several months. It has a lot of good ideas that take a long time to sink in (translation: I only absorbed about 5% of it). I read it because it was quoted in another book I was reading and honestly I got more out that book because the author sifted and interpreted for me. I think this book requires a lot of spiritual maturity which means it's worth coming back to when I grow up.
Annika Paxman
Elder Maxwell immediately dives into some deep spiritual doctrines concerning the omniscience of God which will invoke indepth thought from any reader. This is a must read for everyone as we all embark on this journey called life with it's ups, downs, and challenges stretching each of us to our limits. No matter what you may face, Maxwell offers counsel, and comfort through a loving and omnipotent Father in Heaven. Absolutely marvelous work!
Jasmyn
This was a wonderful book. I actually listened to it as a book on CD and it was read by Elder Maxwell, which made it that much better. I definitely need to listen to/read this one again, though. There is so much, it's hard to take it all in in one go.

It gives a wonderful perspective on life and the trials that are custom-made for our individual lives. It was great and made me ponder a lot on different principles of the gospel.
Ethan
I liked this book, and thought it covered some important topics that don't get talked about much, but it was a little wordy. I love Elder Maxwell's perspective on the gospel, his talks and books are always deep and well thought out. I felt like he got a little caught up in the turning of good phrases, which made some passages not as concise and clear as they could have been. Overall a good book, but not as easy to read.
  • Of Souls, Symbols, and Sacraments
  • Because He First Loved Us
  • Teach Ye Diligently
  • Faith Precedes the Miracle
  • The Broken Heart: Applying the Atonement to Life's Experiences
  • Finding Peace, Happiness, and Joy
  • Counseling With Our Councils: Learning To Minister Together In The Church And In The Family
  • Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith
  • Joseph Smith the Prophet
  • The Infinite Atonement
  • Spencer W. Kimball, Twelfth President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
  • Discourses of Brigham Young: Second President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
  • Teachings of Gordon B. Hinckley
  • Autobiography of Parley P. Pratt (Revised and Enhanced)
  • Hearing the Voice of the Lord: Principles and Patterns of Personal Revelation
  • Promised Messiah: The First Coming of Christ
  • Articles of Faith (Missionary Reference Library)
193147
Neal A. Maxwell was well known as an Apostle, author, administrator, and educator. A graduate of the University of Utah, he was the Commissioner of Education for the Church Educational System for six years. He also held a variety of administrative and teaching positions at the University of Utah, including that of executive vice-president.

In 1974 Elder Maxwell was called as an Assistant to the Cou...more
More about Neal A. Maxwell...
Not My Will, but Thine The Enoch Letters The Promise of Discipleship The Neal A. Maxwell Quote Book Moving in His Majesty and Power

“Perfect love is perfectly patient.” 35 likes
“We, more than others, should carry jumper and tow cables not only in our cars, but also in our hearts, by which means we can send the needed boost or charge of encouragement or the added momentum to mortal neighbors.” 21 likes