Start by marking “The White Order (The Saga of Recluce #8)” as Want to Read:
The White Order (The Saga of Recluce #8)

The White Order (The Saga of Recluce #8)

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  4,145 ratings  ·  21 reviews
L.E. Modesitt's bestselling fantasy novels set in the world of Recluce are among the most popular in contemporary fantasy. Rich in detail, Modesitt's Recluce books are a feast of wonderous marvels. Booklist notes, "Modesitt's elaborate and intelligent working out of a system of magic and a system of technology parallel to it is becoming more the lifeblood of the Recluce bo ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 468 pages
Published April 15th 1999 by Tor Fantasy (first published April 28th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The White Order, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The White Order

Princess Academy by Shannon HaleFablehaven by Brandon MullThe Goose Girl by Shannon HalePrincess of the Midnight Ball by Jessica Day GeorgePrincess of Glass by Jessica Day George
Books by Utah Authors
400th out of 734 books — 377 voters
Furies of Calderon by Jim ButcherFirst Lord's Fury by Jim ButcherCaptain's Fury by Jim ButcherImager by L.E. Modesitt Jr.Princeps' Fury by Jim Butcher
books with almighty heroes
63rd out of 114 books — 29 voters

More lists with this book...

Bryan Brown
Nearly 300 years after the founding of the island nation of Recluse Cerryl a (probably) grey mage enters the scene. An orphan of a probable white mage he must find a place for himself in the world. The stalemate between the blacks of recluse, and the whites of Fairhaven has stood since the island was founded but is showing signs of beginning to fail.

Cerryl finds his way into the white order at Fairhaven as a student mage and begins to navigate both the complex internal politics but also the chan
The Recluse universe is based on an Order/Chaos balance. Some people have abilities to use these forces, generally one or the other, although there are a few Grays. Order is Black, Chaos is White. Order wielders tend to be healers & builders, Chaos users tend to destruction.

This is the 8th book written in the series & while Modesitt recommends the books be read in the order he wrote them, I'll agree only for the first read. On a re-read, I preferred them in chronological order. In that c
The story of order and chaos continues. In the previous series those of order excelled in a rectors such as woodwork, smithing, and engineering. There's a focus on infrastructure throughout the series, specifically around roads. This book adds sewage to the list. You wouldn't think that fantasy books would focus on such "unfantastical" things but they do.

The main character usually is a male of Boy Scout like qualities Cerryl, follows the mold.

The ending was a bit of compared to the previous boo
Jeremy Preacher
The White Order is probably my favorite Recluce book overall. It takes the (by this point) finely-honed coming-of-age story and uses it to flip all of the assumptions previously established by the series on their heads. (The motto of the Recluce series should probably be "It's more complex than that.") The White Order is set a few years before the earlier The Magic Engineer (which I also love) and follows one of the minor villains of that book, who also is referred to at various historically dis ...more
Cerryl is not a too bad person and it was good to see a better side of the White Wizards. Unfortunately I was just never able to really enjoy the books because of previous books with the white wizards knowing that they will end up-being destroyed and controlling evil. The story and writing was good but just couldn't connect with the story as much as previous books.
Chris Catania
I really enjoyed seeing the other side
After going along so long in this series, it's a really nice and interesting change of pace to suddenly see the world through the perspective of a white wizard, and to actually see that there's a lot more going on beneath the surface of them than has been represented thus far in the series.

It was a good and much needed change of pace.
Dec 18, 2011 Tim rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: fantasy
This book and Colors of Chaos are one long story. Another coming-of-age story like the first book, The Magic of Recluce. Shows things from the white mage perspective. Since they have been pretty much the villians in the previous books, this is quite an eye opener and is extremely well done. And it's a really fun book.
Jul 16, 2015 Cloud rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: if you like looooong fantasy epics
Recommended to Cloud by: a friend who loves sagas
Borrowed from a friend and just couldn't bear to finish it after slogging through a small chunk. Its just too densely packed and boring. And because it is so bloody huge it just kept looming and making me hate it.
I don't think I'm the correct audience for this book.
Dec 30, 2014 Loretta added it
Shelves: my-library
Reread, third time I think. Originally I didn't want to read anything about the "evil" white wizards, but Cerryl totally drew me in. He is not like some of the magi, but walks a thin line throughout his life.
It helped that I had read "The Towers of the Sunset" before I read this story. It has mentioned about a dozen times throughout the story and was glad for the additional back story.
A full review is forthcoming. This novel was amazing, and I intend to reread it before attempting a full write-up regarding it.
By this point in the series, the books had become repetitive past the point of enjoyment, so I stopped reading them.
Iain Kaslar
probably my favourite of the recluce saga so far. Gives a whole new perspective to chaos wizards.
This series continues to be entertaining into the 8th book - a rare achivement
I love all Modesitt's books in the Recluse series! Very entertaining.
Vastly enjoyable series due tothe depth of the world building
Ruth Ann
This one and the Colors of Chaos are my 2nd favorites.
Jul 14, 2008 Nate added it
one more of the great series that i read
One of my favorites!
Re-read, 6/15
Jan 28, 2009 Steve added it
Seth Dearing
Seth Dearing marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2015
What's The Name o...: Fantasy - Boy apprentice of a saw mill [s] 20 56 Apr 03, 2013 11:58AM
  • A Man Betrayed (Book of Words, #2)
  • Fortress of Owls (Fortress, #3)
  • The Wizard's Treasure
  • The Wyrmling Horde (Runelords, #7)
  • Seeds of Betrayal (Winds of the Forelands, #2)
  • Mistress of the Catacombs (Lord of the Isles, #4)
  • Exile's Return (Conclave of Shadows, #3)
  • Child of Flame (Crown of Stars, #4)
  • A Magic of Nightfall (The Nessantico Cycle, #2)
  • Warhost of Vastmark (Wars of Light & Shadow, #3; Arc 2 - The Ships of Merior, #2)
L. E. (Leland Exton) Modesitt, Jr. is an author of science fiction and fantasy novels. He is best known for the fantasy series The Saga of Recluce. He graduated from Williams College in Massachusetts, lived in Washington, D.C. for 20 years, then moved to New Hampshire in 1989 where he met his wife. They relocated to Cedar City, Utah in 1993.

He has worked as a Navy pilot, lifeguard, delivery boy, u
More about L.E. Modesitt Jr....

The Saga of Recluce (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • The Magic of Recluce (The Saga of Recluce #1)
  • The Towers of the Sunset (The Saga of Recluce #2)
  • The Magic Engineer (The Saga of Recluce #3)
  • The Order War (The Saga of Recluce #4)
  • The Death of Chaos (The Saga of Recluce #5)
  • Fall of Angels (The Saga of Recluce #6)
  • The Chaos Balance (The Saga of Recluce #7)
  • Colors of Chaos (The Saga of Recluce #9)
  • Magi'i of Cyador (The Saga of Recluce #10)
  • Scion of Cyador (The Saga of Recluce #11)