B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth, Vol. 1: New World (B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth, #1)

B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth, Vol. 1: New World (B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth #1)

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  447 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Our heroes face new horrors as they investigate small town vanishings, wild monsters in the woods, and a strange new creature that arrives to create hell on earth. Written by Mike Mignola and John Arcudi, and drawn by 2009 Eisner Award-winner Guy Davis (The Marquis), B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth: New World marks the beginning of a new era in horror
Paperback, First Edition, 144 pages
Published August 16th 2011 by Dark Horse Books

Sesana
Acting as transition between the end of the last cycle of B.P.R.D. storylines and the beginning of the next, the story here is deceptively small. Yes, there are huge things going on in the world, which looks like it's getting overrun with kaiju. But the focus is on the core members of B.P.R.D., and what's going on in their lives. As the cover implies, Abe has the focus for much of the book. Some questions left over from the previous story cycle get answered here, and it felt like the plan was to...more
[Name Redacted By Goodreads Because Irrelevant to Review]
Mignola & co. have said that they are committed to making a comic-book world in which big changes are permanent, in which character deaths and world-shaking events have real, lasting impacts and everything isn't carefully & cleanly resolved at the end of the day. They want a world in which retcons aren't available.

With the finale of the Plague of Frogs story-line, they succeeded. The people of the B.P.R.D. won the battle, but lost the war; millions have died, whole cities - whole countri...more
Otherwyrld
This is the first volume of a new series, and a new direction for the B.P.R.D. Now an agency for the United Nations, they have more and bigger monsters to take on than ever before but as the death toll mounts across the world, the toll being taken on our agents is even higher.

This is a placeholder review until I can fill in some of the gaps in my reading. The review and the rating may change after a reread.
Sam Quixote
The first Bureau for Paranormal Research and Defence (BPRD) cycle finished with "Vol 14: King of Fear" and the second one starts anew with "BPRD, Hell on Earth 1: New World". While the first cycle more or less became concentrated on the "Plague of Frogs" storyline, this series purports to be about something else - but what?

From the looks of it, its BPRD business as usual. A Lovecraftian monster is up to no good and the BPRD set out to stop it. Abe Sapien and Johann Kraus are led by Kate Corrigan...more
Matthew Brady
It's time for a new status quo for the series as of this volume and...it's not all that different from the old one, really. The BRPD is now funded/controlled by the UN, which means more resources, but possibly some shadowy government stuff (or maybe bureaucratic ineptitude?) in the future. Devon is afraid of Abe, since he was prophesied to eventually lead the frog monsters, but they're all dead now, so it's mostly just tension between them. More monster attacks are going on around the world, and...more
Julian
This is probably the best BPRD collection since Garden of Souls (volume 7). The excellent characterization that typified the series has returned in an interesting and complex way. I am continually amazed by the ways in which Arcudi and Mignola are able to add layer upon layer to the team members that make up the BPRD itself. Each recruit contains their own goals, aspirations and outlooks which evolve dynamically over the course of the series - not to mention the fact that changes and mistakes in...more
James
Great start for a new direction for the B.P.R.D. series. The grand threat that occupied our heroes for years has seemingly been overcome, but the victory was a pyrrhic one, devastating large parts of the planet and fraying the veil separating humanity from some dark forces.

"Hell on Earth: New World" juggles two main story threads. In the first, Abe Sapien tracks down an old teammate, and they work together to stave off a threat that's depopulating rural Canada. This is an enjoyable bit of super...more
Dan
Jun 25, 2012 Dan rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: comics
New World is a well-executed beginning to this new B.P.R.D. era. It has the solid art and storytelling that readers have come to expect from Mignola and crew. Still, I miss the folklore and mythological roots of Mignola's earlier work, which gave the stories richness and depth. The monsters in this collection feel generic by comparison.
Joseph R.
Having finally defeated the Plague of Frogs, the Bureau for Paranormal Research and Defense has gone public in a big way. They've even been commandeered by the United Nations, which is a very mixed blessing. Sure they have more funding, but instead of choosing what occurrences they will investigate, they now have to investigate everything, everywhere. The agents are stretched out across the globe investigating every subterranean monster that pops up as well as every freak volcano that erupts whe...more
Orrin Grey
I promise I won't say this every single time, but since this is the first book in a new arc, I figure it bears mentioning: I don't like the B.P.R.D. comics as much as I do any of the other comics in the Mignolaverse (or whatever you want to call it). There's a variety of reasons for this, though none of them are Guy Davis' artwork, which is pretty much always incredible.

That said, I'm intrigued by the Hell on Earth storyline, and I thought that New World offered a really nice, fairly quiet horro...more
Andrew Shuping
ARC provided by netGalley

Hell has come to earth. Battles are raging across the world and BPRD is now under federal jurisdiction. Liz Sherman and Hellboy are still missing in action, leaving Abe and the rest of the team to continue on their work...and spread themselves thin. In one town Abe discovers that people are missing. Vanishing suddenly without a trace...and one woman seems to be at the center of it all. In other areas of the world the team continues to battle the creatures that are appear...more
Michael
Der Krieg gegen die Frösche ist beendet und eine große Story-Arc zum Abschluss gekommen. Aber das heißt nicht, dass die Welt gerettet ist, denn nun tauchen weltweit riesige höllische Kreaturen auf und verwüsten die Städte. HELL ON EARTH heißt der epische Nachfolger, und das B.P.R.D. wird ganz gewiss nicht arbeitslos, hat es doch nicht einmal genug Agenten, um sich aller Schauplätze anzunehmen, an denen sich apokalyptische Szenen abspielen.
"New World" ist der furiose Auftakt zur neuen Story-Arc....more
Arlomisty
Another B.P.R.D. graphic novel... checked out from the library... creepy, but actually pretty good story telling... this series takes place after the Plague of Frogs series and continues with the aftermath and introduces a new threat to the world.
Cale
As a followup to the massive events of the previous series, this series starts off pretty small. There are a couple huge disasters, but they happen offscreen (although seeing the ruins of downtown Seattle in the epilogue was a bit disturbing). The main story involves mysterious disappearances in the Pacific Northwest, which Abe goes off reservation to explore, and runs into an old friend or two. Meanwhile, BPRD is getting used to its UN oversight as the full scope of events starts to make itself...more
Gabriel Wallis
Like all the other B.P.R.D. and Hellboy graphic novels I've read, I thoroughly enjoyed "B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth: New World" (volume 1). All of the graphic novels under said titles are unique and strange. That's what grabs me, that's what draws me to read them. They have enough mystery in them to keep me coming back for more. I'm definitely looking forward to reading the next in the series.
Alan
Another shift for the B.R.P.D. series. The Plague of Frogs might be over, but the world remains under constant attack from occult and extra-dimensional forces. Some members of the Bureau know they're not doing much more than fighting a holding action, and the organization is now funded by the U.N. (and all the politics that ensues from that). With things literally going to hell some team members are determined to retain their humanity and "family" connections. A trip to Northwest helps fish-man...more
Lord Humungus
This collection picks up shortly after the last of the Plague of Frogs saga. Again more great stuff. Great pacing, character evolving, and I've gotten used to Guy's art.
Daniel Etherington
Hellboy/BPRD has maintained a pretty high standard ever since it first arrived in 1993/94, but I must admit I found the War on Frogs stuff went on a bit, despite the quality of Guy Davis' art. This is excellent though. Davis' monsters and characterisation is still evocative, but he also gets to draw more small scaler, intimate drama this time round. Mignola and Arcudi have changed the scale of the story: there still epic stuff going on, but much of it is seen via monitors and reports, and instea...more
Bevans
This series just keeps getting better and better.
Dan
Like the preceding end of the last arc- the first one of the new is nothing more than filler. Sure, we have an old face reappear and another conflict but, this one has little to do with the new threats facing this world. Making it just a minor proxy conflict on the rim of something much greater, and has really nothing to do with it.

Another displeasing sub-par effort from the Mignola team. Hopefully the rest of the arc will improve. But- if the last few issues are any indication, I have little f...more
Corey Pung
B.P.R.D. is remarkable for the emotional depth it gives the characters. Most writers would create giant knockout fights between the heroes and the monsters, but Mike Mignola and John Arcudi (the co-writers) are more interested in showing how the characters deal with their private grief and how they come to grips with their failures.

If you'd like to read my full review, go to: http://paneldiscussions.wordpress.com...
Ryan
The new story arc is off to a good start. But I can't help but miss the characters that are now gone. Truth is, the characters with the most well developed personalities are dead or gone. But it seems Arcudi is doing his best to develop the remaining cast into something more interesting. Another downside to this book is the art. Guy Davis is one of my favorites. I have most of the stuff he's published. But the last few volumes have looked rushed. Good thing he's taking a break now.
Jeff Lanter
Its great to finally get caught up on the new status quo in BPRD. While this story is small in scale, the longer Hellboy/BPRD stories are among the best so I'm looking forward to Hell on Earth. One of the best things about this particular story is how real and believable the characters acted. Several of them are evolving in a very natural way which is saying something since very few of them are human. Bring on the next volume!
Brian
I've seen reviews of Hellboy and other graphic novels, so I thought I'd give this a try. I read about 10 or so pages and it was not worth the time. The pictures were sometimes interesting, but the story was disjointed and uninspired. Couldn't hold my interest for long at all. Another indicator of the decline of Western civilization.
Brian
I love BPRD. I love the characters and the art and the story. Even though each arc essentially boils down to a bunch of supernatural misfits punching monsters it never gets old for me. Kind of like Conan or Usagi Yojimbo. I don't know idiot can think of anything similar in any other medium, it just keeps getting better.
Ben
Honestly, after the War on Frogs arc, I'm really tired of the whole world going to shit. Nothing improves and cities keep getting destroyed. All that said, the character moments of BPRD still manage to keep me reading.
Sonic
This creative team simply amazing.
This is one of my favorite series,
and here we are burning to a fevered pitch!

It's Hell on earth people!

We can't turn our backs
on the paranormal
anymore!

Matt
A great, creepy start to the BPRD's new take. It's great to see some old favorites return, and the way this story, in many ways, is so much quieter than any of the Plague of Frogs stuff is great.
Craig
Everyone gets screen time here except for Liz, but developments with Panya (my favorite character) are certainly intriguing.
Andre
A continuation of the BPRD after the climactic showdown. A nice restart around a cool classic Mignola story.
  • Hellboy: House of The Living Dead
  • Atomic Robo and the Shadow from Beyond Time (Atomic Robo, #3)
  • The Goon, Volume 5: Wicked Inclinations
  • Hellboy: Oddest Jobs
  • Infinite Kung Fu
  • Conan, Vol. 3: The Tower of the Elephant and Other Stories
  • Chew: The Omnivore Edition, Vol. 2
  • The Sixth Gun, Vol. 3: Bound
  • Hellboy: Unnatural Selection
  • RASL, Vol. 4: The Lost Journals of Nikola Tesla (RASL, #4)
  • Scalped, Vol. 8: You Gotta Sin to Get Saved
  • The Boys, Volume 10: Butcher, Baker, Candlestick Maker
  • Hellboy: The Companion
Mike Mignola was born September 16, 1960 in Berkeley, California and grew up in nearby Oakland. His fascination with ghosts and monsters began at an early age (he doesn't remember why) and reading Dracula at age 13 introduced him to Victorian literature and folklore from which he has never recovered.

In 1982, hoping to find a way to draw monsters for a living, he moved to New York City and began wo...more
More about Mike Mignola...
Hellboy, Vol. 1: Seed of Destruction (Hellboy, #1) Hellboy, Vol. 3: The Chained Coffin and Others (Hellboy, #3) Hellboy, Vol. 2: Wake the Devil (Hellboy, #2) Hellboy, Vol. 4: The Right Hand of Doom (Hellboy, #4) Hellboy, Vol. 5: Conqueror Worm (Hellboy, #5)