Start by marking “The Dragon of the Dolomites” as Want to Read:
The Dragon of the Dolomites

The Dragon of the Dolomites

Everyone knows dragons are the vainest of all creatures. And if you're the last dragon? You're the vainest of them all.
Published (first published April 5th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Dragon of the Dolomites, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dragon of the Dolomites

Eirian Houpe
Jan 13, 2013 Eirian Houpe rated it did not like it
Sadly Lacking

The book is listed as 'young adult' but in reading, it seems a little young, and is a short story (the kindle edition only goes to around the 30% mark) about a dragon, and the artist that has been sent to paint him. The remaining pages of the book are given over to a preview of an upcoming work from the author, and that seems a little bit inappropriate. I am aware that even print books now often contain teasers for upcoming works, but never ones that run to 70% of the print length!

R
Brenda
Feb 15, 2012 Brenda rated it liked it
Shelves: own-read
Fanzini was an artist, and he had been commissioned by Lord d’Appiano to paint the last dragon, the Dragon of the Dolomites. All the previous people had never returned so Fanzini decided the challenge was worth it, he would paint this dragon if it was the last thing he did!

When he, along with his escort and horses, came face to face with the dragon, he was frightened, but knew not to show his fear. And when the dragon ate all but him, he thought his life was over. But he had an idea, one that wa
Cathy
Jul 27, 2011 Cathy rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-books
Really cute short story of a poor painter who accepts a commission to paint the last dragon in the world. When he meets the dragon he must convince him to pose before he becomes the dragon's dinner. But how is he to do this?
Made me think of 1000 Arabian nights with the painter's continuing portraits but there is more to it than that. Fun story.
Kristen
Jul 08, 2012 Kristen rated it it was ok
I choose this book thinking it might be good to share with my step-son. Even though there isn't anything horrible about it, I don't think I'll waste his time with it. I don't know what I was expecting but it wasn't what I got: a fairy-tale lesson about how to how-smart someone or how not to be vain.
I'm not going to pass this along and I'm glad I was able to read it for free.
Rissa Karina Burge
Aug 24, 2011 Rissa Karina Burge rated it it was ok
If you have read the book How to Train a Dragon, this book is nothing compared to the first book I mentioned. If you're trying to find an adventure of man and a dragon, this is not it. The dragon is portrayed as mean and the man is weak. However, man uses his brain to get away from the dragon. He tricks the dragon in a smart way, but to me it's kind of mean. It's just me being a softie.
Kristy
Jul 07, 2011 Kristy rated it really liked it
Haha. Very fun. Scott writes his short stories with humor and always a surprise ending. In this one, a dragon is convinced by a painter to destroy himself in his vain attempt to become the most beautiful dragon in the world. :P
Andrea
Jul 11, 2011 Andrea rated it really liked it
Cute, but quite short. This was a freebie for Amazon Kindle, so of course I decided to give it a try. I dare say this would be a quite good children's story, perhaps if not for how frightening the dragon is portrayed.
Jadi Cedonia
May 28, 2012 Jadi Cedonia rated it really liked it
It reads like a fairy tale. The poor peasant must outwit the cunning villain. If you have less than 10 minutes, it's a great story to read in one sitting.
Layla
Feb 19, 2013 Layla rated it it was ok
a really short story for children, but was sweet and showed that pride will end up hurting and changing you.
Robert Zillifro
Short story - Humerous
Second story is a setup for his fantasy series
Writing ok. On a superficial level.
Jen
Feb 14, 2014 Jen rated it did not like it
Shelves: kindle
I didn't like how the dragon was portrayed as so stupid and had more sympathy for it than the painter. Not a very deep or interesting read. More disturbing than anything else.
Hazel Grace
Hazel Grace rated it did not like it
Jun 01, 2014
Matthew
Matthew rated it really liked it
Jul 26, 2012
Nikki
Nikki rated it liked it
Jul 22, 2011
Michael
Michael rated it liked it
Mar 09, 2016
Finn
Finn rated it it was amazing
Mar 23, 2016
Rahul Chadha
Rahul Chadha rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2014
Willard
Willard rated it liked it
Sep 04, 2014
Terry Compton
Terry Compton rated it it was amazing
Sep 16, 2014
Frankie H. Killinger
Frankie H. Killinger rated it really liked it
Dec 15, 2014
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Nov 05, 2014
Stephen
Stephen rated it it was ok
Mar 17, 2013
Lonnie Bosenko
Lonnie Bosenko rated it really liked it
Oct 09, 2014
Samantha
Samantha rated it liked it
Jul 13, 2011
Tom
Tom rated it it was ok
May 08, 2013
RMK
RMK rated it it was ok
Mar 03, 2016
Ashley Wessinger
Ashley Wessinger rated it liked it
Dec 10, 2014
Esther Murray
Esther Murray rated it did not like it
Aug 15, 2016
Duke
Duke rated it it was amazing
Feb 14, 2017
Allison Alexander
Allison Alexander rated it it was amazing
Feb 28, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • How to Slay a Dragon (The Journals of Myrth, #1)
  • Venom of the Serpent's Cunning (Andy Smithson, #2)
  • The Gods of Dream
  • The Dragoneers (The Chronicles of Susah, #1)
  • The Sorcerer’s Quest (The Sorcerer’s Saga, #1)
  • Reader and Educator Guide to "The Hobbit" and "The Lord of the Rings"
  • The Six (The Gateway Chronicles #1)
  • Warrior Quest (The Ancient Lands, #1)
  • The Last Enchanter  (Celestine Chronicles #2)
  • The Dragon in the Driveway (Dragon Keepers, #2)
  • The Black God’s War: A Novella Introducing a new Epic Fantasy
  • Happily Ever After (Girls to the Rescue #1)
  • The Adventures of Unc' Billy Possum
  • Golden Mane (The Adventures of Sarah Coppernick, #1)
  • Graham the Gargoyle #1: Graham's Grief
  • Billy: Messenger of Powers (Billy Jones, #1)
  • Avion (The Crystal Rose Chronicles, #1)
  • Guardian's Rise (The Sons of Masguard, #2)
SCOTT WILLIAM CARTER’s first novel, The Last Great Getaway of the Water Balloon Boys, was hailed by Publishers Weekly as a “touching and impressive debut” and won an Oregon Book Award. Since then, he has published a dozen novels and over fifty short stories, including the popular Garrison Gage mysteries and the Myron Vale ghost detective series.
More about Scott William Carter...