Start by marking “The Time Hunters” as Want to Read:
The Time Hunters

The Time Hunters (Time Hunters #1)

Becky is a typical thirteen year old girl. She likes Facebook, gossiping and plenty of sleep. So when she and her brother Joe are invited to stay with their 'loony' Uncle Percy at his stately home, the mysterious Bowen Hall, she thinks ita??ll be the worst summer ever. What she doesn't realise is that Bowen Hall is also home to a baby Triceratops, two Sabre-tooth tigers an ...more
Published March 23rd 2012 by Addlebury Press (first published October 2nd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Time Hunters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Time Hunters

Carl Ashmore
Nov 08, 2010 Carl Ashmore rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Well, I did write it. :)
John
Jan 20, 2013 John rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult, kindle
I decided to read the revised edition of this book since my first reading was prior to the rewrite. And I can honestly say that I enjoyed this book just as much as I did the first time around (if not more). This book has the perfect mix of adventure, action and intrigue. The fact that it is a time travel story is just the icing on the cake. Can't wait for book three , which is due out in just a couple of months. Heck, I might even reread book two just to review our story thus far.
Lincoln
This is a kids book meant for 10-12 year olds! That being said this was a fun romp. Fast paced action. Likeable characters. Some good time travel elements. Uncle Percy seemed a bit too cool at times of extreme danger but, I think that is just a reflection of a man who knows the future. Mythical creatures such as harpies and pegasus play a big role in this story which is a big plus. This is book one of a series so it does wrap up a bit but it is not a stand alone book.

I read this as part of a gr
Amy
The first half of the book was slow-going and felt very much like a kid's book (kid main characters, a time machine van, and pet dinosaurs). However, in the second half, the story became quite enjoyable as the search for Jason and the Argonauts and the Golden Fleece got underway. I especially enjoyed the secret of the Minotaur. Great ending to lead into book #2. For the adventurous time-travel-loving myth-loving kid in us all.
Lance Greenfield
Jan 04, 2014 Lance Greenfield rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Breathless!

This is exactly how I felt at the end of this wonderful, action-packed, time-traveling adventure.

It starts with Bernard Preston stealing an artifact, which is known to him and his vicious pursuers as the Theseus Disc, from a house in Victorian London. Although fatally wounded, he manages to escape in his Reliant Robin time machine to hand the disc to his friend and fellow traveler, Percy Halifax, owner of Bowen Hall, before expiring.

The next scene opens with Percy's niece and nephew
John
May 02, 2011 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, kindle
Having read several time travel stories, I'm always skeptical when I read one that attempts to rewrite history or show that the past is not quite what we imagined. However, I think Carl Ashmore does a fabulous job of creating an alternative history (myth?) that is not only believable but engaging. I'm definitely adding this book to my top ten list of favorite time travel books. "The Time Hunters" has some great characters (Edgar is my favorite) and plenty of action. I actually found this book to ...more
Frenchie
Sep 29, 2013 Frenchie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Young Adults, Action and Time Travel
Recommended to Frenchie by: A friend
Shelves: favorites
I read it a while back and this was my review on Amazon.co.uk

''Buy the next book quick, please, Mum''...this is what my 11 year old son told me.
I downloaded first on his Kindle but he had not read it after four months. So, I bought Time Hunters in paperback and left it on his bedside table. I wanted him to read it because I have loved it myself. He finished it in two days (he had to go to school, it is why it took so long for him). When he finished it, he told me to get him the second one also
Heather(Gibby)
This book was an absolute joy to read. It needs to be approached with the same frame of mind you would getting on an amusement park ride. Jump on Board and hang on! If you are interested in scientific explanations regarding the possibilities of time travel, this is not the book for you. It is an adventure/mystery with some really loveable characters.
Bobby
Dec 27, 2010 Bobby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who is in interested in time travel
Shelves: favorites
This book had me hooked from the first page and the only thing that stopped me from finishing it in one go was my battery on my kindle running out and me forgetting the charger! I honestly can't wait for the sequel.
Paul Montgomery
Jun 29, 2012 Paul Montgomery rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brief synopsis - Becky and Joe are the kids who lost their dad years ago. Their kindly, though rarely-seen, uncle offers them a holiday at his estate. There, they find their uncle to be one of a regulated fraternity of time travellers, and they set out on a venture through time to find the legendary Golden Fleece. Pursued, of course, by the obligatory bad guys.

I try, wherever possible, to deliver a balanced review. I make sure that if there is good, no matter how deeply it is buried, I bring it
Ken
Oct 30, 2010 Ken rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Time Hunters is excellent first novel written by author Carl Ashmore and is a wonderful mix of time travelling, ancient mythology with a bit of murder mystery thrown in. I had only recently finished reading the Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan when I first encountered this book, and after reading the blurb, I thought, "Oh no, not another story about a Percy and the Golden Fleece". Despite this, I took it on and was pleasantly surprised by this gem.

The story begins with Becky and Joe bein
John Pearson
Nov 04, 2010 John Pearson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got a copy of Carl Ashmore's Time Hunters for my Kindle for iphone app. I wound up enjoying it immensely!

Becky and Joe aren't orphans, sentenced to live with their crazy Uncle Percy, but they may as well be, for as little as we see their mother. While they initially resent being sent to Percy's for the summer, they learn to love it once they discover that Uncle Percy is actually an experienced time traveller, looking for the legendary Golden Fleece!

This was a highly imaginative story, intertwi
Elle
Jul 25, 2013 Elle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
What a fantastic book! So many people keep telling me that this is a fun, adventure filled rump geared towards a younger audience but suitable for all ages - and I can tell you that is completely true. There is a sabre-tooth tiger, a dinosaur (in fact, there is multiple), time travelling ice cream vans, campervans, limos, and a whole host of really great characters. At first Becky kind of annoyed me so much I wanted to slap her but her character really matured as the story went on. Joe was just ...more
Josh
Jan 04, 2014 Josh rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was expecting a fun YA romp, but this is really for even younger readers. I don't read a lot of children's' books so I could be off in my expectations, but this is a far cry from the standards of something such as Narnia. There were too many typos and errors, which indicates the book needs better editing, but really that is minor compared to the other problems with this book. It needs improvement in pacing, in dialogue, in character development, and in plotting in general. This book is just wa ...more
Glynn
Jan 04, 2014 Glynn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I took on reading this book to contribute to a discussion on the Time Travel Book Club discussion page for January of 2014. I read it with the understanding that it was a children's book but quickly warmed to the characters and the story. It is a quick read with lots of adventure and mystery. There are amusing scenes as well as a couple of scary moments that keep one engaged and wanting more. I am from the USA and I enjoyed the particularly English aspect of the language the characters speak. I ...more
Debbie
Jan 08, 2014 Debbie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So, I will likely have to read the next one to see what happens!
Wish I was still a kid to gain a true appreciation for a novel like this. I do know that I liked the characters and found them very easy to learn and get to know.
The time travel element was not unique but it was a lot of fun. I liked the explanations of the "omega effect" and other common paradoxes.

Highly recommend for children of all ages.
Eric Thomasma
May 18, 2011 Eric Thomasma rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
This is an excellent kid's novel. Becky and Joe are the kind of protagonists that kids will relate to and Uncle Percy, Will, and the rest of the cast of characters give that perfect level of quirky interest that draws youin and keeps you there. The story is fast paced and well told and is a perfect book for the young reader that is ready for chapter books.

And now with additional content, it's better than ever.
Helmy Kusuma
May 07, 2011 Helmy Kusuma rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Harry Potter meets Doc from Back to The Future and together they go on adventures ala Carmen Sandiego". That's how I sum up the book. I love all three of them. That's why I am more than willing to overlook a-little-too-much shouting -- I distaste all caps in a book, several sharp mood swings of characters and a-little-too-easy conclusion. Please write the next adventure of Becky. Please, Carl.
Emma (Queen of the weirdo's)
I loved this book and would recommend it to anyone who wants a fun read and a book to disappear into for a few hours. Although aimed at a younger audience I thoroughly enjoyed it (and I am in my 30's!!) and was the perfect antidote after a very stressful day at work!!
Amy
Feb 03, 2012 Amy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It caught my attention at first. I soon lost interest. I finished it just to see how it turned out.
Scott
Jan 19, 2012 Scott rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: time-hunters
The new version with the extra chapters and material help to make the book even better and earn that last star from me.
Les Anderson
Mar 22, 2017 Les Anderson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well, it's written for a younger audience so for myself I didn't like it as much as I probably would have at 12 years old. However, I think it would be a great story for middle school aged kids.
Nate
Dec 02, 2016 Nate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I started reading this book, I noted a lot of flaws and things that didn't make sense, but the story grew on me as I kept reading (I experienced similar emotions with the first Percy Jackson book). By the end, most of my complaints had actually been explained or resolved, leaving me satisfied.

This is the story of a brother and sister who go to spend the Summer with their eccentric uncle and learn that he is actually a time traveler in search of a lost relic. They travel through time with hi
Wendy
Feb 18, 2017 Wendy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4th grader loved it & we immediately moved on to the 2nd book in the series. Fun surprised on the myths come to life.
Emmy
Dec 17, 2016 Emmy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It started off promising. Riveting catch to pull you into the book.

Characters were getting fleshed out; their identities were forming and consistent.

The beginning of the sixth chapter was picking up speed and the reader just knew it was about to get good.

It was still confusing WHY this uncle has been absent from the children's lives all these years. A fight with their father doesn't fly with me. I figured we'd know in time.

And although the mom had no contact with this estranged brother-in-la
Joo
Apr 27, 2011 Joo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Time Hunters was the first book I bought on my Kindle and the first book I reviewed. So why am I revisiting it? Because Carl has issued a new and improved version.
As I understand, he's with JK Rowling's agents which is why there's a re-write and who knows where this fantastic book will get to.

Did I say the word "fantastic". Oh yes. This book is quite simply a fantastic read. When I heard this new version was available, I emailed Amazon to ask for the update and had it within a few hours. I h
LitPick Student Book Reviews
Becky and Joe have just been shipped off to their “old nutter," Uncle Percy's, to spend the summer. Everything starts out great, even Becky has to admit. There are big rooms and opportunities for riding, archery and other activities. Then Joe makes a mind-blowing discovery. After sharing his find with his sister, they confront their uncle. Apparently, he's a time traveler! As Joe, Becky, Uncle Percy and the groundskeeper, Will, race against time to find an important Golden Fleece, they realize t ...more
Avardsin
Honestly, I'm not sure what to make out of this novel or the characters yet...

Lets talk about the characters...

My favorite character is Will. He written noble and honorable to reflect his status in the story.

Uncle Percy is a mad scientist (inventor) type of character. He likable enough, comes off a bit too weird at sometimes.

I quite like the characters Joe and Becky. The brother and sister relationship is written alright. Some people stated Becky all over, but then again she is a 13 year old an
George
Apr 20, 2013 George rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Becky Mellor and her brother Joe are sent to spend the summer at their Uncle Percy’s estate. Expecting boredom, they instead find excitement, mystery, and danger when their eccentric uncle turns out to be a time traveler.

I liked this book quite a bit. It moves quickly and is very engaging. The plot has a lot of mystery, danger, and twists and turns, but overall the story has an imaginative, humorous feel. The characters are drawn with enough depth to get one interested in their story and to car
Cristina (a book away from an episode of hoarders)

Honestly, the first few chapters or so were a bit dull. Not so much that I wouldn’t keep reading but I was definitely eager for it to pick up a bit.

After the first chapter, where the scene was set, Becky and her brother, Joe, are invited to stay with their 'loony' Uncle Percy at his stately home, while their mother has to work.

After the kids made it to Bowen Hall, it certainly did pick up.

One rainy night, the kids find out that their Uncle Percy is a time traveler and then as spoiler free as po
  • The Time Traveler's Apprentice
  • The Wizard of Time (Wizard of Time, #1)
  • Timesplash (Timesplash, #1)
  • Blast of the Dragon's Fury (Andy Smithson, #1)
  • Package Deal
  • PETER AND THE VAMPIRES (Volume One) (PETER AND THE MONSTERS Book 1)
  • Thomas Jefferson, Rachel & Me
  • The Cypher (Guardians Inc. #1)
  • Whale Song
  • An Amazing Adventure Through Time
  • Towards Yesterday
  • Seranfyll (Seranfyll, #1)
  • Brimstone (Earth, Air, Fire and Water , #1)
  • Saving Brooksie
  • When the Walls Fell  (Out of Time, #2)
  • The Time Cavern
  • Island of Fog (Island of Fog, #1)
  • Song of the Fairy Queen
I am a children's writer from Cheshire in England. 'The Time Hunters' is my first novel. My second and third novel are 'The Night they Nicked Saint Nick' and 'Bernard and the Bibble.'

I have just completed the second Time Hunters book 'The Time Hunters and the Box of Eternity'.

I can be contacted on carlashmore@mailcity.com

Visit me on my blog:

More about Carl Ashmore...

Time Hunters (5 books)
  • The Time Hunters and the Box of Eternity (Time Hunters, #2)
  • The Time Hunters and the Spear of Fate (Time Hunters, #3)
  • The Time Hunters and the Sword of Ages
  • The Time Hunters and the Lost City (Time Hunters, #5)