Blank-133x176
Amazing Baby

Desmond Morris

Amazing Baby

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  89 ratings  ·  19 reviews

The astonishing story of a baby's first two years.

Renowned zoologist and scholar of human behavior Desmond Morris (The Naked Ape) reveals a baby's incredible powers of development and extraordinary growth patterns. Through informed text and stunning photographs and artworks, this insightful reference surveys the biology, physics, chemistry and other forces which drive the

Published October 10th 2008 by Firefly Books, Limited (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Amazing Baby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Amazing Baby

This book is fabulous. It has wonderful photos, plus overlays showing how a baby's bones, organs, and more grow.

I enjoyed this book more than most baby books because it explains the science behind a baby's development, rather than "Your baby should do this by this week." It also emphasizes the uniqueness of each baby.

I think this would be a great gift for a new parent. I just checked it out from the library and was fascinated.
Rati
Simply brilliant! I recommend this book to anyone with children or even planning to have children. It tells you everything you need to know about your tiny baby's physiology in a simple, easy to understand manner. An added advantage, my 10-month old loves looking at the beautiful, glossy photographs of babies on almost every single page of the book.

Ciara
Worth five stars for the pictures alone. Big hurray for Malahide Library who had it " out back" as no bookshop in dublin seems to have it at the moment. I think a paperback version is due out in May.
Amanda
Developmental Psychology 101 presented in a way that is feels neither too simplistic for my level of expertise nor too complicated for the parents I work with who have very low education levels. The words are simple but are put together beautifully, so it is informative but not boring, educational but not condescending.

This book was purchased per my request by my agency for resource material and I would recommend it for everyone. I'm going to have to give this book at every baby shower I go to....more
Melanie Franklin
This is a wonderful book summarizing the development of babies. What I particularly liked about this book is that the development is discussed in terms of evolution and natural selection. However, some of the developmental milestones discussed ARE WRONG according to when they happen. The author states that most babies walk by 8 months old. In fact, a walking 8 month old is quite rare. The picutures are beautiful, however.
Lientje
The best book ever when you have a small baby. Also a great gift to new parents. This book doesn't tell you what your baby 'should be able to do' at a given age -what most books do and usually results in parents worrying about their child. It rather describes the several stages babies go through and how they develop from a general point of view. A great read!
Lizita
Oct 10, 2009 Lizita rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: expecting parents/ first-time parents
This easy-to-read book is full of brilliant photographs and illustrations about the baby anatomy. This is not a typical "What to expect when you're expecting" book, instead it takes a scientific approach to what happens as they baby develops up until toddler years. It truly is a must read!
Cindy
Beautiful photographs of babies throughout the book. My son who is almost 9 months loves to look at the photographs of the babies.. I can see him growing and developing everyday..

This book explains how babies develop. It's a fascinating read.

Donzel
Lovely photography, each section deals with every step of a baby's physical, emotional and mental growth. The inability of the author to grasp who the Maker is taints the book with an evolutionist worldview.
Brittany Youngchild
Very informative! This book has a good format and is well written with plenty of graphics. Totally recommend to any one having a baby, working with babies, or anyone interested in the amazing human body.
Wow! Obviously pertinent, since I have one on the way in a couple of weeks, but a really beautiful, educational book for anyone. The photos are gorgeous, and the 'lessons' are brief. Loved it.
Geo_ayman_magdy
u can download copy of this book from
it's very good book to read if you have new baby
Sableamy
this was easy to read, had great pictures, and provided lots of interesting information on the development from newborn to toddler.
Alicia
This is a fantastic book. A not-too-heady coffee table book with gorgeous photos of babies and great information about infant development.
Eugenia
Beautiful pictures, but the info is either unremarkable - i.e. generally found in many run-of-the-mill baby books - or somewhat dubious.
Elizabeth
good book. Cute pics, helpful, interesting info on a broad range of topics. Simply worded, to-the-point, and clear.
Anna
Awesome Desmond Morris genius.
Mindy
Library Journal review assignment
Alan
Two words: Gore jush.
Sean
Sean marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Kataraina
Kataraina is currently reading it
Aug 08, 2014
Seekerparadiso
Seekerparadiso marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Jean-pierre Tremblay
Jean-pierre Tremblay is currently reading it
Jul 28, 2014
Sabrina
Sabrina marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Enrique
Enrique marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
AlexaGB
AlexaGB marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
Patricia Jefferys
Patricia Jefferys marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Desmond John Morris is most famous for his work as a zoologist and ethologist, but is also known as a surrealist artist and author.

More about Desmond Morris...
The Naked Ape: A Zoologist's Study of the Human Animal The Human Zoo: A Zoologist's Study of the Urban Animal Peoplewatching: The Desmond Morris Guide to Body Language Catwatching The Naked Woman: A Study of the Female Body