Start by marking “Invisible Woman: Growing Up Black in Germany” as Want to Read:
Invisible Woman: Growing Up Black in Germany

Invisible Woman: Growing Up Black in Germany

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  24 ratings  ·  6 reviews
"In March 1947 I was born. My arrival was celebrated within the inner family circle, quietly and anxiously. When I was a year old, my mother married a white German man; a year later my sister was born. We grew up relatively unburdened during those first five years, just like most children. We felt we were a family, even though I knew that my father was not my real father....more
Published October 7th 2000 by Continuum

To ask other readers questions about Invisible Woman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Invisible Woman

Valarie
The story of an "occupation baby" from post-WWII Germany, whose African-American heritage caused her mother to send her to an institution for orphans. It is amazing to hear about racism from a European country, especially considering that the causes of WWII should have forced Germans to think twice about the way they treated people who are "different." The memoir is a bit disorganized, and the translation leaves something to be desired in that there are numerous typos and other errors that may c...more
Branden
read it for research. kind of a clunky translation and all over the place, but its testimony--she clearly didn't set out to write the Year of Magical Thinking--and the results are still super fascinating, especially the stuff about her childhood. her critique of certain radicalisms (e.g. white feminism) are quite articulate and surprisingly piercing in their simplicity. it's a shame that there aren't more memoirs in translation from this demographic.
Elizabeth
I'm not quite sure how I feel about this book. It was a subject I had never read about before and I feel there was a lot I could have learned, but the book is short, and feels really choppy and incomplete. I started out frustrated because the subject matter was horrifying, but ended up frustrated because of the composition of the book itself.
Bill Novak
Moments of great triumph interspersed with moments of great loathing of the human animal and what the human mind is capable of towards other human beings. An important read for everyone.
Heike
It is an incredible story and a piece of German history I never knew about. I met the author in person and she is such an inspiration. Love this book and think it is well written.
Tiffany Rae
A heart wrenching glimpse into Afro-German life. I'm Thinking this author would be a perfect guest interview on Mixed Race Radio!!!
Samuel Ochanji
Mar 26, 2009 Samuel Ochanji marked it as to-read
Touching
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2014
Shauna
Shauna marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2014
Holly
Holly marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2014
Sophie
Sophie marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2013
Emma
Emma marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2013
Rita
Rita marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2013
Karina Honjoya
Karina Honjoya marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2013
Jacob Post
Jacob Post is currently reading it
Oct 31, 2013
Vanesa  Damonte
Vanesa Damonte marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2013
Jasmin H
Jasmin H marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2013
Ebony
Ebony added it
Jun 23, 2013
Shabieko Ivy
Shabieko Ivy marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2013
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2013