Start by marking “Radigan” as Want to Read:
Radigan

Radigan

3.89  ·  Rating Details ·  1,684 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews
When beautiful Angelina Foley presents Tom Radigan with a Spanish grant and claims ownership of his land, he realizes he’s up against a cunning and deadly opportunist. Foley wants him off Vache Creek immediately, and with three thousand head of cattle, an outfit of hardcase gunfighters, and winter coming on, she is unwilling to take no for an answer.

But Radigan has worked
Published September 1st 1984 by Bantam (first published January 1st 1959)

Tony
Jan 03, 2010 Tony rated it really liked it
Louis L’Amour- Radigan (Bantam Books 1969) 3.75 Stars

After working through harsh conditions to build his ranch, Tom Radigan now finds himself in danger of losing what he has fought so hard to build. Angelina Foley comes from seemingly nowhere claiming to have a deed to the ranch land that he has settled on. Fighting the claim will take grit and determination. She intends to force him off of the land using the gunmen she has hired, but Tom Radigan and his friend John Child do not intend to be run
Jacob
Mar 21, 2017 Jacob rated it it was amazing
The book “Radigan” by Louis L’Amour is an awesome read for anybody that enjoys westerns and adventure. It starts out explaining how a rancher, Tom Radigan, builds up a small ranch in New Mexico. Being that New Mexico is mostly a desert, it is pretty difficult to raise 500 cattle. Then along comes a cattle outfit from texas claiming that they have rights to Tom’s land. Its an all out range war between the two outfits. I really enjoyed reading this book because there was a lot of twists and turns ...more
larry brashear
Dec 10, 2016 larry brashear rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good Book!

This story was realistic, interesting, well written and edited. It had me spellbound all the way through. Well looking at who the is what would one expect?
Suzanne
Nov 16, 2016 Suzanne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wobble
My grandfather had hundreds of Louis L'Amour books on his bookshelf - right next to my grandmother's Barbara Cartland books. So I enjoyed reading this, especially because it made me think of him!
Bill Rush
Mar 13, 2017 Bill Rush rated it it was amazing
I know I've said this before but I love Louis L'Amour books.... his main characters are always men of honor and respect... they always put up a great fight against injustice.... with their guns or boxing it out... never any bad language... good ole fashion western...
Benjamin Thomas
Oct 30, 2010 Benjamin Thomas rated it really liked it
Shelves: western
"Radigan" is the 66th Louis L'Amour book I've read, my number one author if you count by number of books read but only number 6 if you count by the number of pages read. This is another fairly average length L'Amour paperback novel, coming in at 154 pages. Obviously, you can tell I like this author and I read his novels periodically but this time I chose to read one because they serve as great "comfort" reads for me. I received some bad news yesterday and was feeling pretty low. I didn't want to ...more
Ryan Mishap
Mar 08, 2009 Ryan Mishap rated it did not like it
Shelves: when-i-was-a-lad
The one name titles of so many books involve odd monikers of reluctant heroes, hard men, and fast draws...and the same three or four plots replicated again and again like house designs in a subdivision.

My dad loves all his books and I read over a hundred while staving off the night terrors when growing up.

It is a strange fact about the old west, Indians, and the genocidal take over of the land now called the United States that fiction writing about them is often taken for truth (see Ward Church
Teresa Uhle
Feb 16, 2017 Teresa Uhle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read!

I forgot just how entertaining Louis L'Amour's books are. This is the first one I have picked up in about 25 years after reading the whole series a long time ago.
Paul
Jul 04, 2016 Paul rated it really liked it
Another Louis L'Amour book finished in my journey of reading his books as chronologically published. Radigan is his 14th book and the only one from 1958.

Tom Radigan and his hired hand, John Child, run a secluded ranch in the high country of northeast New Mexico territory when another ranch outfit and shady characters led by a Texas beauty named Angelina Foley show up with a Spanish grant and claim ownership of Radigan's land.

Being from Texas Angelina Foley and her crew are up to no good and th
Dustin Reade
Sep 12, 2012 Dustin Reade rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid story. And as with all Louis L'Amour books, I learned quite a bit about how to handle horses, and how to live off the land. Not that I think I could actually do any of these things based on what I have read in a western pulp novel, but I think if you had all of L'Amour's books with you in the wilderness you could manage pretty well for a while.

Anyway.

This one was violent, which I liked. But all of the violence was justifiable, and never too gory or overplayed. The bit about the women all
Tom
Jul 19, 2015 Tom rated it really liked it
Our hero Radigan has spent years figuring out a way to work a tough patch of land into a successful ranch, so when a pretty woman and her band of thugs try to force him out, he's not going to cooperate. Our evil beauty has a questionable claim on the land from a shifty ex-governor. Radigan's claim is unassailable, but the law usually sides with the victor in the old west. Just so in this case, where the local lawman is content to step back and see how Radigan does.

He's joined by a faithful, half
Sara
Apr 07, 2011 Sara rated it liked it
I thought it was an enjoyable, swift read.

Louis L'Amour is a very good storyteller. This is only the second book, and the first of his Westerns, that I have read but I've been impressed so far.

Radigan is an intelligent, patient, but yet strong character who withstands an attempt to run him off of his ranch. He, his one ranch hand, and the ranch hand's daughter contend with about 30 opponents with grace and poise.

My only complaint about the book is that everything gets wrapped up very suddenly t
Allen
Dec 14, 2008 Allen rated it really liked it
A great quick read from a writer that knows his wilderness. While following along with the story you accidently learn how to track in the snow...and a few other tricks that could save you if you were hunted by a gunman. I like the story from start to finish. I did notice a couple of places where 1958 values were out of date now, when it came to women. But hey, this was to have taken place around 1870 or so.....times have changed. Great action, and a somewhat surprise ending. I'll be reading more ...more
Gavin Breeden
The first L'Amour book I've read and it was what I was expecting and wanting. A breezy, action-oriented Western. This is ideal nightstand or back-of-the-toilet reading since it requires little brain power and is easy to pick back up. It is unsurprisingly a bit sexist and features some unintentionally funny spots of bad writing as both of the significant female characters are described to have developed the hots for Radigan. The book's biggest fault is its strangely abrupt ending, but otherwise I ...more
Patrick
Aug 19, 2016 Patrick rated it liked it
Classic L'Amour tale. Man has land that he has staked a claim too. Bad guys from outta town want for nefarious reason. Guns and fist go a'flying. Oh ya and there's a beautiful girl that falls in love after seeing what a man he is for defending his land.

Not one of my favorite L'amour books. The story line got a little discombobulated at the end.
However, good shoot em up easy summer read. I think L'amour with be on my reading list every summer.
Jared
Aug 15, 2010 Jared rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Seriously?? He told you the ending before the start of the second chapter. And talk about stereotypical.... Stern, honest, hardworking man who is put upon by some bad people. Good guy wins and gets the girl in the end and everybody is happy. Not to mention L'Amour's terrible writing. Did the guy not have an editor? Fortunately there were no grammatical mistakes that I noticed, but the flow was inconsistent at best.
Rusty
Apr 02, 2008 Rusty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: western, louis-lamour
If you like stories about good guys who kick butt and get the girl and the bad guys who get it in the end, read Louis L'amour. He also has a knack for describing scenery, and every canyon, spring, etc. he mentions truly exists. He was a great authority on the American Wild West which is not quite how Hollywood often portrays it.
Brianna
Jan 01, 2012 Brianna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Least favourite L'Amour book of modern memory. (I first read them all as a preteen) The female characters were even more of a tool than usual. I learned nothing new about life in the old West, and I just didn't care much about what happened to the hero -- two things I can usually count on L'Amour books for.
Dave
Feb 25, 2009 Dave rated it really liked it
I liked this book. I've read it several times before, but I needed something small and light weight for a backpacking trip so I choose it again. This is a story where men are men and women are tough enough to handle the wild land in which they live.
Kniephof
May 04, 2010 Kniephof rated it really liked it
Good ole cookie cutter L'Amour. I think L'Amour books are to men as chick flicks are to women. Plot was quick (I love how he always jumps right in to the plot and suspense). The chapters were a little longer than other L'Amour books I've read.
Teigen Grubl
Jan 28, 2015 Teigen Grubl rated it it was amazing
This was a very good book. It talked about a woman who possessed a fake grant to the land a rancher owned. It quickly turned into a gun battle since the real owner wasn't going to give in easily. I highly recommend this to others.
Trinrin
I didn't this book because there is horses and i hate horses. The book dragged on and there wasn't much action. And i dont like to read books . This book was very long and it was very boring. I do like books that have more action.
Chaney Keffeler
May 05, 2015 Chaney Keffeler rated it really liked it
This was a really good book. It was about a rancher who owned a lot of cattle. This women come to him and tried to claim his land with a fake deed. He figures it out and fights off a lot of men to get his land back. In the end he marries his hired hands daughter.
Lorna
Nov 10, 2014 Lorna rated it liked it
This was my first L'Amour book. While the descriptions were wonderful, the abrupt scene changes and the head-hopping POV were a disappointment. The ending seemed rushed and cut short. Overall, though, it held my attention, and I will try another of his books in the future.
kate
Dec 10, 2016 kate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another hit

Louis Lamour at his best. If only the man had learned to write an epilogue. However if you like a good old fashioned cowboy story you can't go wrong with this one.
Weathervane
Apr 28, 2010 Weathervane rated it it was ok
Shelves: western
I'm afraid Louis desperately needed an editor. Apparently he once said that he didn't bother with second drafts. He should've.

Sloppy work, and the characters certainly were not anything special.
Heidi
Aug 01, 2008 Heidi rated it it was amazing
My favorite Louis L'Amour book. Also, the reason I'm not married; Radigan is a fictitious character, and so are the Sacketts. (Sigh)
Gabe
Dec 27, 2016 Gabe rated it liked it
First "western" I've read. Interesting. But like the old West, it seemed a little show...
Keith Bell
Apr 09, 2013 Keith Bell rated it really liked it
What's not to like in a western. Read all of Louis L'Amour's books at least once if not twice. I cut my reading teeth on 'em. (Started reading his books at the ripe old age of 6... really)
Charles
Dec 23, 2008 Charles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: westerns
A gunfighter type book, and I liked it quite a lot.
  • The Lone Star Ranger
  • The Killing Season (Trail of  the Gunfighter, #2)
  • The Untamed
  • Guns of the Mountain Man (Mountain Man, #24)
-Wikipedia
More about Louis L'Amour...