Start by marking “Guns of the Timberlands” as Want to Read:
Guns of the Timberlands

Guns of the Timberlands

3.89  ·  Rating Details ·  1,259 Ratings  ·  50 Reviews
Clay Bell spent the last six years fighting Indians, rustlers, and the wilderness itself to make the B-Bar ranch the prize of the Deep Creek Range. But Jud Devitt, a ruthless speculator from the East, now threatens everything Clay has worked for. Devitt, holding a contract with the Mexican Central to deliver railroad ties, wants to harvest timber off the land where Clay ...more
Published June 1st 1984 by Bantam (first published June 1955)

To ask other readers questions about Guns of the Timberlands, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Guns of the Timberlands

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas AdamsWatership Down by Richard AdamsThe Stand by Stephen KingThe Princess Bride by William GoldmanThe Shining by Stephen King
Best Books of the Decade: 1970's
420th out of 1,037 books — 1,209 voters
Jubal Sackett by Louis L'AmourGuns of the Timberlands by Louis L'AmourThe Walking Drum by Louis L'AmourFlint by Louis L'AmourThe Lonesome Gods by Louis L'Amour
Best louis l'amour books
2nd out of 7 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Julie
Jul 22, 2012 Julie rated it really liked it
Decided to try Louis L'Amour to change things up a bit. Though I'd never read one before, it seems that if the library has kept enough check outs going to keep his books for that many years, there must be something to it. And there was. The writing is descriptive, and while the characters are somewhat sterotypical, in some ways that was nice for a change. Enjoying a simple good vs. evil plot, without a lot of complex twists and turns to drag the story out was refreshing. Good read.
Craig
Dec 17, 2011 Craig rated it liked it
Shelves: westerns
After reading two or three of L'Amour's books, he is pretty predictable. Nevertheless, he acquired much trivia from the Old West which he sprinkled throughout his novels to make them interesting. Somehow, the "good guy" alwyas getting the girl is fun and appealing and causes the reader to open yet another of L'Amour's numerous tales of the Wild West.
Elizabeth S
Sep 06, 2015 Elizabeth S rated it really liked it
Shelves: n-western, z-2011, c-adult
I just love books like this where the good-guy has morals and ethics, yet also is quite capable of standing up and fighting when necessary. I like that the good-guy isn't just good, he also has gathered a wealth of experience and good people around him.
Jun 17, 2013 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice, typical Louis L'Amour story. I prefer reading the book over listening to it though. The voices just didn't sound right to me.
Kedron Skiles
Nov 05, 2014 Kedron Skiles rated it really liked it
I really liked it. A man had built his life and ranch on his land. It doesn't go over well when someone tries to ride roughshod over him to get the trees that are on his land.
Dustin
Dec 29, 2014 Dustin rated it really liked it
This was the first Western I have read and I think I am hooked. In this story, a cattle rancher depends on grazing his stock in and around a stand of timber on public lands in the desert of the Southwest. A rich businessman comes into town and announces he will harvest the timberland to aid in the expansion of a local railroad company. An all-or-nothing battle ensues for the lumber and the survival of the B-bar ranch. The story is fast moving, trimmed down to its essentials. Though efficient, ...more
Waven
Feb 04, 2010 Waven rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, western
In this nice little western, lumberjacks ("timber beasts") in Arizona throw a new theme into an otherwise rather formulaic genre. The protagonist Clay Bell has settled in a nice mountain valley to ranch after being a cowboy, soldier, hunter, fighter, and prospector. A few years and his B-Bar Ranch is well on its way but still not on a paying basis when Jud Devitt arrives in town with plans to log the B-Bar's summer pasture on federal land in the mountains. Devitt, our maligned antagonist, is ...more
Robert
Jan 10, 2010 Robert rated it really liked it
Shelves: westerns
The sixth western by L'Amour takes a little different twist. Still the ex-gunfighter trying to settle down theme, but this time the problem is a logging operation who wants his land. Interesting due the descriptions of the loggers, as they are different than the usual cowboys, gunfighters and cattlemen. A good read.
Doug
Aug 30, 2014 Doug rated it liked it
Shelves: westerns
This early Louis L'Amour has a few loose strings, but some good prose and characterization. It also unfold pretty predictably. Finally, this is one book that might have benefited from a little map (which sometimes appears with L'Amour books); I had some trouble following the local geography, and a lot of what happens depends on this -- access to a plateau, shortcuts to town, etc.
Melodee
Apr 06, 2010 Melodee rated it liked it
Shelves: western
This book is a pretty stock Western. There is a hero, the girl he falls in love with, and a bad guy. You know how it is going to end, you just don't know how the author is going to get there. It's a quick, enjoyable light read.
Linda Barnett
Jul 15, 2015 Linda Barnett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Who can not love a L'Amour? I've read everything he wrote, most more than once, over the years and I still enjoy a re-read now and then.

This is a good one. No ambiguity at the end, our hero wins the land battle and the girl, both. Gotta love a good fight and a happily ever after ending!
Peter Charleston
Mar 04, 2014 Peter Charleston rated it really liked it
Shelves: library
An enjoyable western adventure that takes place in Arizona. Louis L'Amour always had the story telling capabilities to keep a reader entertained. His books will be read over and over.
Fredrick Danysh
Jun 20, 2014 Fredrick Danysh rated it really liked it
Shelves: westerns
After Clay Bell spent years in building a ranch despite adversaries and nature, the ruthless speculator Jud Devitt attempts to take it away from him. An enjoyable tale by a master storyteller.
Clifford
Jul 25, 2014 Clifford rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who likes Louis L'amour westerns
This one was rather fast paced and interesting. It lead off with a fast start and kept up the pace from there. As all of the Louis L'Amour books I have read this one was great.
Matthew Hurley
Really good story, although it still amazes me how many of Louis L'Amour's characters managed to study boxing with Jem Mace in New Orleans.
Bobbi
Mar 14, 2012 Bobbi rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010-read, western
Rather liked this one. I like how L'Amour uses different people of the West-lumberjacks in this one-to help tell the tale of the West. Good enough book by a great author.
Dillon
Apr 29, 2014 Dillon rated it really liked it
Spending the last 6 years to make his ranch the best, Clay Bell fought Indians, rustlers and the wilderness. On the other hand, Jud Devitt wants to remove timber off of the land where Clay lets cattle graze to deliver railroad ties for the Mexicans. Depleting these woods would cause mudslides which will take out their homes. For several years Clay had protected these woods and not let anyone disturb them. While the ranchers and loggers begin arguing, Devitt's fiance finds different plans. She ...more
Mackenzie Bakker
Mar 05, 2013 Mackenzie Bakker rated it really liked it
I thought this was good, well written story. In this book, Louis L’Amour captures the struggle between a rancher, and a logger. Jud Devitt is a proud man, and is called a go-getter, a man that gets things done. He has always been able to bully his way through to get to trees, as he is a logger. He expects this job to be easy, as he has found a stand of trees nearer than anywhere for the rail ties he needs. There is only one problem. Clay Bell. As the protagonist, the story follows Bell the most, ...more
Ed
May 03, 2013 Ed rated it liked it
Shelves: action, western
Very early Louis L'Amour published in 1955 under the pen name Jim Mayo. Fast reading, formulaic western about a rancher against encroaching loggers. A social conscience is injected into the plot because logging this location will destroy the environment and cause it to assume the desert characteristics of the surrounding territory.

Western - Clay Bell was a onetime drifter who'd grown weary of long trails and settled on the sweetest land he'd ever seen. For six years he fought Indians, rustlers,
Conan Tigard
Nov 13, 2015 Conan Tigard rated it really liked it
This is a fun read. It is a short story, only 148 pages. But it is highly enjoyable. I liked it so much I finished it in one day out by the pools while vacationing in Maui. To tell the truth, I haven’t run across a Louis L’Amour book that I haven’t liked.

If you like stories about a man defending his territory without turning to his bad side, then you will like this story. Bell is strong in all ways and a good man. He doesn’t back down from trouble. He is a good character to read about.

Guns of t
Paul
Jul 27, 2014 Paul rated it really liked it
Shelves: louis-l-amour
One of three books published by L'Amour in 1955 and the next one in my list and quest to read the Louis L'Amour books in publishing order per the official Louis L'Amour website.

Guns of the Timberlands finds local rancher and good guy Clay Bell up against a ruthless timber baron, Judd Devitt, who wants to run Clay off his land in order to harvest the timber for a cool profit. Clay of course is having none of it and vicious battle ensues between the two. Devitt of course is engaged to marry the lo
Chase
Oct 23, 2014 Chase rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book it kept me guessing on what was going to happen next. I liked how Louis Lamore sets up the scene for this book giving plenty of detail so it was almost like watching a movie in my head. I also aw well he is able to make his characters come alive so it just added that much more to the book. The only thing I didn't like about this book is how many people he starts switching between I would sometimes get confused on who was doing what.
Ulrich Krieghund
L'Amour gets right to the conflict in this one. The set-up is strong, with our hero immediately up against it. The love interest comes soon after. All is in place within a few pages. Unfortunately, things keep going the hero's way time after time after the first quarter of the book and the villain devolves into what could have been a clever adversary into a buffoonish two-dimensional figure unable to play checkers, never mind a game of chess against our hero.
Jeff Anderson
Aug 25, 2009 Jeff Anderson rated it it was amazing
Great book! Even though I had read it before it really got my blood going. The bad guys were so bad I just wanted to punch something and the good guys are so believable which is not always the case with good old Louis L'Amour. This one really shows how to act when everything seems to be going against you.
Matthew Bledsoe
Mar 23, 2016 Matthew Bledsoe rated it really liked it
I liked this book because the Way the main character Bell stood up to these other guy Judd about his cattle being allowed to graze were the timber Judd wants to cut down he basically tells Judd you want it than come get it the book was about these to guys that have a battle over a piece of land that has alot of timber and they they basically start a little war over the land
Megan
This book reads like a John Wayne movie, which I'm sure is the point but I'm not a fan of this type of westerns, so this book was hard for me to read.

If you like westerns give it a try, you may enjoy it, I personally just find it to be okay.

Kim Dempsey
Apr 14, 2016 Kim Dempsey rated it it was ok
The reviews on this book were very highly rated, however, this type of book isn't my favorite. It was a western type book, that I had a hard time getting through. I read it because I asked Noah, my twelve year old to find me a book.....lol.
I think I'll stick to my genre of book.
David
Apr 20, 2014 David rated it it was amazing
Very briefly; Bell is trying to protect a forest from Jud who wants to log it. Bell owns land around the forest, but not the forest itself. If the Forest is logged it would ruin Bell's Cattle business.
Lee
Jun 15, 2012 Lee rated it it was ok
Became interested in Westerns, decided to try L'Amour. Wasn't bad. Wasn't exactly riveting but I did enjoy it to a degree. Follows the formula. Would not be opposed to reading more L'Amour if the mood strikes.
Ruth
Apr 19, 2015 Ruth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This isn't one of L'Amour's stronger offerings. Despite the multitude of books that he published, he usually manages to avoid cliche, but not so much this time. Even with all of the action, there was a curious flatness to the story.
  • The Lone Star Ranger
  • The Dawn of Fury (Trail of the Gunfighter, #1)
  • The Law at Randado
  • Black Jack
  • Snake River Slaughter (Matt Jensen: The Last Mountain Man, #5)
-Wikipedia
More about Louis L'Amour...