Start by marking “The Cherokee Trail” as Want to Read:
The Cherokee Trail

The Cherokee Trail

3.9  ·  Rating Details ·  1,752 Ratings  ·  69 Reviews
Mary Breydon knew how to get things done. Raised on a Virginia plantation, she learned how to care for livestock, respect her workers, and keep good books. But after her husband is killed, she must make a living running a stagecoach station on the Cherokee Trail. Mary faces challenges that even the men eagerly anticipating her failure would have a difficult time overcoming ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 221 pages
Published August 1st 1982 by Bantam (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about The Cherokee Trail, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cherokee Trail

Rosalind
May 04, 2014 Rosalind rated it it was amazing
It has a woman protagonist, need I say more? I love Mary Breydon's spunk and courage as she attempts to make a living for herself and her daughter after her husband is killed. After reading novels where women were perceived as weak and needing to be protected, it was great to see a woman buck that mindset and be successful at it.

One of the first novels I read by L'Amour and it helped to make me into a true Louis L'Amour fan.
Kacey Nielsen
Jul 05, 2016 Kacey Nielsen rated it liked it
my first by this author. book club read. very simple writing and very repetitive narration, but overall an interesting story. I would like to read one of his books with a man as the lead character because I don't really feel like he nailed a feminine mindset/voice and may do better with a guy. but an enjoyable little escape book.
Jesse
Jul 02, 2014 Jesse rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first Western book I have ever read. In this day and age, they tend to seem passé, but I'll tell you what: not only did I love it, but it was refreshing, a welcome change of pace, and a story that made me cheer out loud several times. The emotional connection to these characters is strong, and almost immediate. I think part of that has to do with the situation they find themselves in--they're really on their own, and it is very much 'sink or swim.'

One of the things that enamors me to
Benjamin Thomas
Sep 15, 2010 Benjamin Thomas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: western
Do you ever get tired of the world we live in today? With all the stress of day-to-day life compounded with news of how bad the economy is, no end in sight, terrorism, crisis after crisis, etc. don't you just want to hide in a little cubby hole and not come out until it's over? Well if that sort of day ever comes your way then I heartily suggest a good western novel by Louis L'Amour. I've just completed Cherokee Trail and it took me to another place and time that somehow made our current predica ...more
Jessica Snell
Oct 03, 2014 Jessica Snell rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history
What was I doing in my adolescence, reading all my parents' Georgette Heyers, and none of their Louis L'Amour's?

This is brilliant story-telling. I want to say, "nothing special", except excellent story-telling *is* special, no matter where you find it.

I was hooked from the beginning. I enjoyed every page. Really, what more can you ask for?

This is a wonderful tale. Enjoyable from beginning to end.
Jess
Jun 12, 2008 Jess rated it liked it
Recommended to Jess by: Adult Pop Lit - Western
Shelves: western, z_08
Only a strong will, hard work, and support from gunslinger Temple Boone allow Mary Bredyon control over the toughest stagecoach station in Colorado. When Civil War guerillas guilty of murdering her husband reappear, Mary must defend her life and home.

Decent book. For a Western it had a strong female lead. The ending could have been more exciting and parts of it were far-fetched but overall a good story.

Elisa
Feb 01, 2015 Elisa rated it really liked it
Shelves: westerns
I primarily picked up this book because it was the story off of which Disney's Five Mile Creek series was loosely based. I loved being able to pick out the characters from that series in the book, and having so many memories flood my mind. However, I also enjoyed this book because although it was a light read, it had nuggets of truth to think on. I definitely recommend this book.
Art
Sep 10, 2008 Art rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: government class
Was amazed after the readings of the Virginian by Wistler and discussion in my Westerns class @ Ashland University for the MAGH program, taught by Prof. Chris Burkett on Civilization and what does it mean to be civilized.
I really enjoyed it again for the subject material that I discovered while reading it.
Recommend reading for Goverment class to introduce the major ideals behinde our ideals.
Harry Lane
Jun 19, 2012 Harry Lane rated it really liked it
L'Amour is the best of Western writers IMHO, unless you count Hillerman as a western writer rather than a mystery writer. In any case, L'Amour makes his characters matter to you as a reader, and keeps the plot moving at a good clip. In this novel, his protagonist is a woman who has to make it in a man's world, and does so due to pluck, luck and an unusual set of skills.
Ed Laundy
Jun 04, 2009 Ed Laundy rated it really liked it
The great thing about a good western is htat they never become dated. This onew has a very unlikely hero, or should I say heroine. Not many of L'Amour's book have a female star. A fun read to just relax with on a hot summer day.
Carmelina
Nov 04, 2012 Carmelina rated it really liked it
Shelves: westerns
This is the second Louis L'Amour book I've read and cannot wait to read more. What I liked most about this book is it's strong female characters especially Mary Breydon. It also made me chuckle at the exchanges between Matty and the indians.
Rosamond
Feb 22, 2012 Rosamond rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-read
This is the second Louie L'Amour book that I've read and I must say I enjoyed the story. A strong woman character with tales of the west woven so well, that I wish this story had a sequel. I found a treasure in this author's words.
Uncle
Jun 03, 2008 Uncle rated it really liked it
I've read it at least twice. One of those times was just recently. I like almost all of L'amour's books. This is one of my favorites. It's a great story and takes place in Colorado.
Erin
Apr 11, 2010 Erin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: western, l-amour
I own every Louis L'Amour book and love reading them. They are all formulaic, I know, but I don't care. This is one of my favs because of the strong female main character.
Susan
Apr 14, 2015 Susan rated it liked it
Great female lead character. Who knew that one could find such characters in these formula like stories?
Kathleen
Sep 05, 2014 Kathleen rated it really liked it
Super quick read. Uncomplicated and entertaining. Keeps your interest.
Josh Mcclendon
Sep 08, 2011 Josh Mcclendon rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone
Josh McClendon
October 25, 2011
Oral and Written Communication
Mr. Bales
Review of the Cherokee Trail
The Cherokee Trail was written by Louis Lamour. The author is known for his western pieces, many of them have become movies. This is a story based in Colorado around the 1860’s. This book is set in the old west (Colorado) around the time of the civil war. It takes place on stage coach line, more specifically the Cherokee trail. This is the roughest country on the whole stage line.
The main character
Chrystal Wright
Nov 13, 2012 Chrystal Wright rated it really liked it
I'm a big fan of Western movies and TV shows and figured it was time to read some fiction (my first and only Western read so far is 'True Grit' and that was a ways back). Louis L'Amour is considered one of the masters of the genre and is a good place to start. A lot of his work comes in the form of short stories or novellas that don't require a daunting commitment like McMurty's "Lonesome Dove". 'The Cherokee Trail' is under 200 pages and has a good deal of action/drama from start to finish. The ...more
Patricia Ogden
Sep 20, 2016 Patricia Ogden rated it it was amazing
A lady currently impoverished and widowed by the Civil War takes a job running a stagecoach station on the Cherokee Trail. Although a child of privilege, her father has taught her to ride, shoot, use a whip, cook, and manage the plantation, now held by the Confederates.

The narrative follows her as she vanquishes (sometimes most conveniently) her male challengers, enemies, and new boss. Very escapist -satisfying early feminist chick lit.

An entertaining, classic read for Western literature buffs.
Beth
Sep 08, 2009 Beth rated it it was ok
My first L'Amour... and I wasn't impressed. The writing was, well, sub-par. And the ending was less than stellar. It seemed like he got fed up with it and just wrapped it up as soon as he could. Also, I didn't like what happened to the main villain -- it was kind of a cop-out. I might read another to make sure this just wasn't a bad book, but I really don't have high hopes.

My mother used to tell me the Louis L'Amour books were romance books for men. She was right, although not in a traditional "
Hayley Shaver
Jul 27, 2015 Hayley Shaver rated it really liked it
Shelves: westerns
This was an excellent, exciting western with good twists. Beautiful Mary Breydon aimed to be the first woman to run a stagecoach station on the perilous Cherokee Trail. Widowed on the journey west, she was determined to build a new life for her and her daughter. She soon proved herself to be courageous. Yet, not everyone admired Mary. Jason Flandrau, cruel and calculating, wanted to be governor of the Colorado Territory. There was only one thing that stood in his way - - Mary Breydon. I love the ...more
Larry Hostetler
Jun 16, 2013 Larry Hostetler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
A little different in that the main character is a woman making her way as a widow in the west. Interesting in the way L'Amour uses various means of defense other than fists or guns.

I enjoyed the book, and how L'Amour avoided some of his cliche activities (fist fights, survival against the elements, etc.). It is set primarily in one location, and includes interesting, almost humorous interactions with indians, as well as more prominence for children than is usual in his stories.

All in all, an e
Gabby
Jun 16, 2016 Gabby rated it really liked it
Louis L'Amour is my dad's favorite author and so when I went home a few weeks ago he gave me one of the books to try out. He's always talking about how great of an author Louis is and I definitely have to agree. I grew up watching the old westerns, and I mean the good ones. The ones with John Wayne that has all the classic themes of Cowboys and Indians and a good bar fight. I loved reading this book because it reminded me so much of those movies. I could see the action playing out in my mind as ...more
Beth
Oct 17, 2014 Beth rated it really liked it
A good yarn with a strong female protagonist. Mary Breydon goes west with her young daughter after their family home in Virginia is destroyed during the Civil War. She takes over a station on the Cherokee Trail, serving stagecoach passengers on their brief stops to change horses. Mary immediately runs afoul of the former station manager and then is discovered by a local big man and former raider. Luckily, she also makes friends with just about everyone else in the neighborhood. It's a nice story ...more
Tiffany
Jun 25, 2013 Tiffany rated it really liked it
Shelves: westerns
I have only read a few Louis L'Amour and it has been at least a decade since the last. I can see why L'Amour has been so popular with the masses--the writing is easy and natural, nothing complicated or hard to follow, with a simple story that is appealing to both men and women. Nothing ground shattering here, but at the end of the day, the evening spent with this book was very relaxing and enjoyable. The fact that it had a strong female lead is probably what made me bump it to 4 stars--I am a su ...more
Kristen
Feb 27, 2008 Kristen rated it did not like it
Wow, was this a whole lot of awful. We picked Louis L'Amour for our book club so we could "read outside the box," and then I found out that I was the only book club member who was actually able to finish their L'Amour book. Needless to say, at least half of Bush's speeches about hunting down dem terrorists came from L'Amour's books. But hey, 250 million books sold by L'Amour makes me the outsider I guess. I'll just go off now and fade into the sunset...
Conan Tigard
Nov 13, 2015 Conan Tigard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So far, I have yet to be disappointed by a Louis L’Amour book. The Cherokee Trail may not be action-filled, but it is chocked full with good storytelling and there is plenty of action to go around. In my mind, nobody writes the Wild West better than Louis L’Amour. I zipped through this book rather quickly and it was a fun read.

Overall, The Cherokee Trail is another great tale of the old west by the master story-teller Louis L’Amour.

I rated this book an 8 out of 10.
Jamie Barringer (Ravenmount)
Sep 04, 2015 Jamie Barringer (Ravenmount) rated it really liked it
Shelves: f-westerns
This was a fun read. A young woman and her husband and daughter are traveling to a stagecoach station near Laporte, Colorado, to take up the position of station agent there. On the way the husband is murdered, and his wife decides to take the station agent position herself. The men responsible for her husband's death are also on their way to the Laporte area, and they don't want to leave her alive.
Jeff Dickison
Jul 19, 2015 Jeff Dickison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mary Breydon leaves for the West after her Virginia home is burned during the Civil War and her husband is murdered. She uses her husbands name (initials) to become the station master of a stage stop on the Cherokee Trail. She faces many hardships (murderers, outlaws, Indians, etc.)and is quite successful. Recommended.
Ruth
Nov 06, 2013 Ruth rated it liked it
2017: Whenever I need a light, palate-cleansing read, I reach for Louis L'Amour. His books often make for quick reads without proving insubstantial. I had fond memories of this one, and it didn't let me down (although I did knock the star rating back a peg because some of L'Amour's writing quirks have started to stand out).

2013 Review (4 stars): Though L'Amour's books are full of strong women, it's rare for him to write a female protagonist, a fact that sets The Cherokee Trail apart. Everything
  • Six Kinds of Sky: A Collection of Short Fiction
  • Desert Gold
  • The Dawn of Fury (Trail of the Gunfighter, #1)
  • Sealed With a Kiss (Yours Truly, Lucy B. Parker #2)
  •  How to Rock Break-Ups and Make-Ups
  • Matt Jensen, the Last Mountain Man (Matt Jensen: The Last Mountain Man, #1)
  • Water Tales: Aquamarine and Indigo
  • Destry Rides Again
  • Lemonade Mouth Puckers Up
-Wikipedia
More about Louis L'Amour...

“A family is a place where a body can share the no-account things, can talk of the little matters important only to ourselves, where we can laugh and cry and tell of the day-by-day happenings and then forget them.” 2 likes