Start by marking “Rage of the Fallen (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, #8)” as Want to Read:
Rage of the Fallen (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, #8)

Rage of the Fallen (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles #8)

4.26  ·  Rating Details  ·  8,411 Ratings  ·  263 Reviews
Thomas Ward has served as the Spook's apprentice for three years. He has battled boggarts, witches, demons, and even the devil himself. Tom has enemies: The Fiend stalks him, waiting for a moment of weakness. The terrifying Morrigan, goddess of witches, warned him never to step foot on her homeland, Ireland.

But now war has consumed their own country, and Tom, his friend Al
Kindle Edition
Published (first published April 19th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Rage of the Fallen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rage of the Fallen

Evgeny
Jan 11, 2016 Evgeny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The Spook and Co. ran away from their war-torn country and ended up in Ireland in the beginning of this installment. I might be wrong and this is my personal opinion, but I think that when it comes to mythology Ireland can easily give ancient Greece a good run for the money.
Morrigan
Consequently there is a lot of work for the Spook in the new country.

Unfortunately Spook's apprentice and the main hero of the series Tom managed to royally piss of a powerful local witch - without even meeting her before.
Duffy Pratt
Given what happens in the major story here, this book should have been fantastic, and yet for me it fell a bit flat. On the good side, the stuff with Alice was really great, and she continues to develop into a very interesting character. And the overarching plot in the series advances quite well.

But its that advance that I think also causes the big problem for the book. Basically, for the overall story arch, the attempt to bind the Fiend is a really big deal. But, as a part of this book, it is a
Karissa
May 02, 2011 Karissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the 8th book in The Last Apprentice series and it was even more fantastic than the previous books. Another spin-off of this series called I am Grimalkin (UK release) is supposed to be released later this year which I am looking forward and Delaney is working on book 9 of this series as well. So, no idea how many more books in this series...but honestly I hope it goes on forever!

The Spook, Tom, and Alice have fled to Ireland. They hope to meet up with Grimalkin and take care of the Fiend
Jonathan
Another fine addition to the series. I'm not going to say much as anyone who hasn't read the book yet will encounter spoilers. However I will say that this is all leading up to a very thrilling conclusion and if it does not end with a bang I will be disappointed. What will happen with Tom, Alice, the Fiend, the Spook, Grimalkin and will any character be swayed over to the dark? These questions need to be answered and some more incredible action scenes need to feature in the last two books.

Anyone
miaaa
Actually already finished this book for a while but only recently updated the progress. WARNING! The Seventh Son movie WAS ONLY inspired by this series, the plot is freaking awful that has nothing to do with the awesomeness of the books. Forget the movie, READ the series!
Leninha
Sep 19, 2015 Leninha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sabe, sou um eterno otimista. Nunca desisto! Essa é a verdadeira qualidade que destaca um herói. Nunca desistir, mesmo quando não há esperança!
Pauline
Jun 04, 2011 Pauline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Brilliant story...but...think it's time to wrap it all up. The next one needs to be the last in the series.
Catherine Loiseau
Dec 11, 2014 Catherine Loiseau rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
On retrouve nos jeunes héros, toujours exilé du Comté à cause de la guerre et qui espèrent trouver refuge en Irlande. Bien évidemment, les choses ne vont pas être aussi simples que prévu.
Comme les précédents, j’ai bien aimé ce tome (je vais finir par me répéter). L’action s’enchaîne bien, avec pas mal de péripéties, rebondissements… On aborde un nouvel aspect de l’univers, avec les légendes celtes et les dieux. J’ai bien aimé le passage avec la Morrigan et Cuchulain.

La violence est assez présent
Stephanie
Getting near the end in this series...

Tom, Alice and the Spook have been forced to seek exile in Ireland due to the hostile takeover of their beloved County. Tom is very nervous because he was warned against going to Ireland by the Celtic witch that he and Bill Arkwright slew in "The Wrath of the Bloodeye". Upon arriving at the shores of the Emerald Isle, Tom and his party are hit with a ferocious storm and their ship is nearly capsized before the storm blow out. But Tom notices that this storm
Barb Middleton
In book 8 of the Last Apprentice series, Rage of the Fallen, by Joseph Delaney, Tom has landed in Ireland with the Spook and Alice where they intend to bind the Fiend who is the devil. Alice and Tom are bound together by a blood jar that protects them from the Fiend who wants to take their souls to Hell and torment them for eternity (that story is in book 4). When the blood jar cracks, their mission becomes more desperate as the Fiend is able to partially materialize before them. Ireland is a la ...more
Lisa Burgess
Sep 07, 2015 Lisa Burgess rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Da ich die Spook's Apprentice Bücher nur bei Nacht bzw. Dunkelheit lese, bin ich oft sehr müde dabei, was bei diesem Teil sehr extrem war. Ich hab zeitweise einiges nur verschwommen mitgekriegt, was mein Review etwas trüben könnte. Gleichzeitig habe ich das Gefühl, dass in dem Buch so viel passiert ist! Viele Gegner, neu und alt, und auch alte Verbündete und ein wirklich krasses Ende. Die letzten paar Kapitel haben das Buch von 3,5 Sterne auf 4 angehoben.
Jetzt ist es 5 Uhr morgens und vielleich
Simona Stoica
Jun 23, 2015 Simona Stoica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Imi place cum se dezvolta povestea, cum evolueaza personajele si cum sunt mereu la limita dintre Bine si Rau, Lumina si Intuneric. Alice si Tom au luat multe decizii controversate, sunt legati prin magie, il mint pe Mos Gregory (da, am ajuns si eu sa ii spun asa), insa gasesc o poarta de scapare, chiar daca exista un pret de platit. De data, e diferit.
Si Grimalkin e perfecta. Fara comentarii.
Cristina
Jun 05, 2011 Cristina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mr. Delaney has an amazingly unique style of prose that really helps him depict the horror scenes in this book. My heart pounded with nervous excitement everytime I flipped a page, and suspense kept me reading for three hours straight to finish this book. I'm astounded at how the author manages to put his characters in the worst possible situation, then fix them out. I love how after that happens, he adds a twist that prevents the story from becoming a sappily-ever-after one, and puts the charac ...more
Nina
Jun 13, 2016 Nina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amrit Arora
Oct 05, 2014 Amrit Arora rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the 8th book in the “Last Apprentice” Series. This is a fantasy series set in the medieval ages. The central character in the series is a boy called Tom Ward who is the Spook’s apprentice. The Spook is a guardian of the residents of Pendle County against creatures like witches, boggarts, demons etc. In this particular book the people of the county are fleeing to Ireland as the county is under seige by invaders from the North. In Ireland also Tom and his friends are pursued by Morrigan th ...more
Michelle
This series is so much fun. It's fast reading. Delaney tells a great story. I love the characters. I'm usually not a fan of middle grade novels. I usually find them too juvenile at this point. Not so with this series, although I do have a few reservations, as expressed below.*

In this installment, Tom, the Spook and Alice find themselves in Ireland since the county is in upheaval and it is too dangerous for them to stay. They meet with a new, terrifying thing of the dark…a Jibber…and Tom must fi
Phillip III
Mar 17, 2015 Phillip III rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am loving The Last Apprentice series. This latest installment is no exception. In a way these are like James Bond books, where Ian Flemming has Bond go all over the place, do all sorts of things, and the story never seems to end, or lose momentum.

Foreign troops still wage war in the County. Rebuilding the Spook's home must wait. The Spook, Alice and Tom Ward find themselves in Ireland. They draw attention to themselves when they battle jibbers -- ghosts of those who have committed suicide.

Th
Stacy
Jul 31, 2015 Stacy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cindy
Jan 19, 2015 Cindy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Spook and Tom arrive in Ireland and are quickly recruited to help against the war between landowners and goat mages that plague the city. The goal of the mages is to summon the Old God, Pan. The mages aren't the only enemies, however. Tom has been having the same dream every night. He is being chased through the woods by a creature of the dark. Someone seeking revenge. Add to that the threat that the Fiend poses, and it is almost too much to handle.
And how long can he and Alice manage to avo
Cara
Tom, Alice, and the Spook have really been through a lot together. This installment of the series is no different. They have fled the County and are in Ireland where even more Dark people and creatures are waiting. There was a lot of action in this book. The series is also getting darker as it goes. I'm not complaining; it totally works and I can't wait to see where it's going!
Virginy
Jun 25, 2015 Virginy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dans ce nouvel opus, nos héros flirtent de plus en plus avec l’obscur. John Gregory lui-même semble avoir renoncer à sa règle de conduite consistant à éviter d’utiliser les moyens de l’Obscur et ne semble plus vraiment réticent à combattre au côté de créatures de l’Obscur pour attraper un être vraiment maléfique, comme le Malin lui-même.

Ainsi Grimalkin se joint à l’Épouvanteur, Tom et Alice, les retrouvant en Irlande, fuyant toujours la guerre et tentant de tenir le Malin à distance. C’est dans
Suze
Apr 28, 2014 Suze rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In book Eight of the Last Apprentice series Tom, the Spook and Alice are in Ireland. Tom has many enemies there and even ends up in the Otherworld where he needs to fight for his life. And then of course there's the Feind they need to deal with. For that they need Grimalkin's help.
There's a lot of action in this book and for once Tom isn't helpless all the time, which is a nice chance. I really liked the scheming and planning. Tom's becoming an actual fighter and reading about his training was g
P.
May 05, 2011 P. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Everything that I've come to expect from this enjoyable, really scary series, including unexpected choices. Joseph Delaney really is putting things at stake in this world and for the characters.
Hannah Russell
Jun 20, 2016 Hannah Russell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
Good story and I liked the fact that the themes of this series are starting to really manifest themselves (I especially liked the ending thought of this one that you are never alone so long as you have yourself). Alice is shaping up to be a rather fascinating character--she's not going at all the way I thought she would, but much less predictable.

I think that this series has about run its course by this book, so I'm glad they're finally starting to wrap up things, but then he created another se
Glamdring
Oct 10, 2012 Glamdring rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012, fantasy
This book was a real page-turner. I think it was my favorite. This is the eighth book in the series and Joseph Delaney still manage to hold us spellbound.
Ashley
Jan 04, 2012 Ashley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I didn't want to finish it because then it would be over until who knows when book #9 comes out. But... It was SIMPLY BRILL! Like expected! :-)
João Batista
Oct 20, 2015 João Batista rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mais uma aventura de Tom Ward, o aprendiz de caça-feitiço.
Tom, seu mestre John Gregory e sua amiga Alice rumo à Irlanda, um lugar onde existem boquirrotos; e será que eles agora irão combater as trevas com as trevas? Além do Maligno, agora, duas novas entidades espreitam do Outro mundo (Tech Duinn)... E então, o mundo muda terrivelmente para Tom e Alice. Um anjo das trevas vem em ajuda de Tom; juntos tentarão um feito nunca antes conseguido... Mas, por mais um erro de Tom, ele acaba no Tech Duin
Karthik
Jan 16, 2015 Karthik rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the most thrilling book of the series. We have a new land - lot of new concepts - 2 new Gods Morrigan and Pan - the idea of goat mages, insights into the world of the gods. In terms of broader story line also big things happen here. This book is probably as important as the sixth one. The story is excting with so many twists and turns. The next book from the title seems more like a filler though - at this exciting moment, we don't want to leave the spook's aprentice and follow Grimalkin. ...more
Monica
Jul 12, 2011 Monica rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Don't read it after dark....."
Love Alice - think she and Hermione from Harry Potter deserve their own stories written.
Kim
Jun 13, 2011 Kim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book of the series I didn't just love. It was o.k.
  • Phantom of Blood Alley (Barnaby Grimes, # 4)
  • Theodosia and the Staff of Osiris (Theodosia Throckmorton, #2)
  • The Fire King (The Invisible Order, #2)
  • Winter of Magic's Return
  • Ironhand (Stoneheart Trilogy, #2)
  • Ravenwood (Ravenwood #1)
  • The Eyeball Collector (Tales From The Sinister City, #3)
  • The Crowfield Curse (Crowfield Abbey, #1)
  • Under the Green Hill
  • Lost (Magic Thief, #2)
  • Wurm War (OutCast, #4)
  • The Dragon's Apprentice (The Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica, #5)
  • The Silver Door (Moon & Sun, #2)
  • The Secret Kingdom (Chronicles of the Red King, #1)
  • Vampyrtroldene (Krøniker fra Kvæhl, #2)
Joseph Delaney is a full time writer living in Lancashire, in the heart of Boggart territory. He first got the idea for the Wardstone Chronicles series when he moved to the village where he lives now and discovered there was a local boggart - ‘a man like me needs boggarts around’. He made a note in his notebook ‘a story about a man who hunts boggarts’ and years later when he had to come up with an ...more
More about Joseph Delaney...

The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Revenge of the Witch (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, #1)
  • Curse of the Bane (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, #2)
  • Night of the Soul Stealer (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, #3)
  • Attack of the Fiend (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, #4)
  • The Spook's Mistake (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, #5)
  • The Spook's Sacrifice (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, #6)
  • Rise of the Huntress (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, #7)
  • I Am Grimalkin (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, #9)
  • The Spook's Blood (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, #10)
  • Slither (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, #11)