Start by marking “War Party” as Want to Read:
War Party

War Party (The Sacketts #8.5)

3.82  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,016 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Bud Miles was a boy when he crossed theMississippi. But Bud buried his father after an Indianattack, and as the wagon train pushed on throughSioux country, the boy stood as tall as any man ...Tell Sackett killed cougars at fourteen and fought awar at fifteen. Now Tell was hauling dangerousfreight--a soldier's wife and a fortune ingold--knowing that someone wanted him dead ...more
Published August 1st 1982 by Bantam (first published September 4th 1973)

To ask other readers questions about War Party, please sign up.

Conan Tigard
Nov 13, 2015 Conan Tigard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
War Party is a collection of short, western tales written between the years 1948 and 1960 by the most famous western author of all time: Louis L'Amour. Each story is well-written and full of action. The main characters are interesting and every Indian in the book is an Apache. Even the famous Cochise makes an appearance in one of the stories.

By the time I started the fourth chapter, I realized that this novel was a collection of short stories rather that one single story. I kept waiting for char
Scott Lyson
Oct 11, 2015 Scott Lyson rated it liked it
"What can be more pitiful than a townless town drunk?"

Louis L'Amour was a writing machine, and each of the short stories collected in this edition could've made for a proper novel. Instead, they're a solid collection of stories similar to Alfred Hitchcock Presents episodes. They're done in L'Amour's style and contain the perfect blend of adventure, rite of passage, violence, wisdom, suspense, romance, twists, and humor, told against the backdrop of the old West. Maybe even a Sackett makes an app
Karen
Jun 18, 2012 Karen rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult-fiction
I didn't read this whole book, it's a compilation of short stories. But I read the Sackett related one (Booty for a Badman), which I think should actually be BEFORE 'Sackett' not after, because it's also about Tell, but before he meets up with his woman.

I also read one just following that which was quite enjoyable, about a woman left alone in scarey Indian country and how she earns their respect with her good shooting, and then ends up with a guy whose life was saved by her husband's death.

Aaron Toponce
Jan 27, 2016 Aaron Toponce rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a compilation of a number of short stories, one of which includes a Tell Sackett story. Overall, I think it's clear that Louis L'Amour is a fantastic short story writer. He isn't strong with character development in his longer novels, nor long-term pacing, and you don't have to deal with either of those in short stories. So, what you get are fast-paced, quick to the point westerns, and they're great.

With that said, it seems he likes to deal with broken families- widows with children, men
Angie Lisle
Oct 20, 2015 Angie Lisle rated it really liked it
I love short stories and L'Amour does them well. Booty for a Badman is the story of interest to Sackett fans but it isn't my favorite in this collection, partly because I don't like Tell's attitude toward the lady he helps.

The Gift of Conchise took my favorite spot, followed by War Party, both for featuring strong female characters. Those two stories alone make this collection worth reading (especially to younger gals).

Alkali Basin still has me perplexed; I've missed something with that stor
Brenna Mathews
Jan 07, 2015 Brenna Mathews rated it liked it
This book was alright, but I'm not really into these kind of books. I was disappointed in the book, it wasn't enjoyable to read. It was hard to stay interested in the book, it wasn't great, but it was alright. Its takes a while to get into the book, I had to get with through the first 20 pages before I knew what was going on. I would recommend this book to someone who likes a western/adventure book.
Stephen
Mar 13, 2014 Stephen rated it it was ok
Confusing. I somehow overlooked that this was a collection of shorts stories, and since some of the same characters appear in more than one story, it was a while before I figured it out. Really, I was very sad, because the first story was the best of the bunch, and I would've liked a whole novella spun out of it. Still a L'Amour fan, but this wasn't for me.
Sep
Jan 26, 2016 Sep rated it it was amazing
A group of short stories two of which were lengthened into novels. My favorite was "The Gift of Cochise".
Monica Willyard
Mar 23, 2016 Monica Willyard rated it really liked it
Shelves: bookshare
This is a very nice collection of short stories with a western theme. I really enjoyed reading it.
Katie Devorah
Aug 11, 2014 Katie Devorah rated it liked it
These bring me back to my childhood.
Doris
Sep 15, 2010 Doris rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes westerns.
Recommended to Doris by: No one
Shelves: fiction-western
This book starts with a bang ... a lone man out in the wilds, cracking a vein of gold and quartz in a teetering monolithic rock as he thinks of his wife and son. The rock is huge and he mines his way up to 16 feet deep to harvest the gold that will make his family's dreams come true... but the rock cracks...This book is an interesting collage of short stories... along the line of the Grub Line Rider.
Kami
Dec 30, 2008 Kami rated it it was ok
Reread this lately. I was on a Louis L'Amour kick I guess. It was alright. His short stories are good, but it always makes me wish they were a full novel and not just a few pages. Louis L'Amour's are kind of funny that way, sometimes I think his novels drag on and on, basically because he repeats the same sort of stuff in every single one, but then others you wish he would flesh it out a bit more.
Erin
Jul 24, 2012 Erin rated it liked it
Shelves: western
This is the millionth time reading this short story collection by one of my favorite authors. I especially love the story about the woman leaving her husband and how a chance encounter with an old man changes everything. While this isn't his best short story collection, it is still an enjoyable read.
Serena
Feb 16, 2016 Serena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: western

My Rating System:
Craig
Aug 29, 2012 Craig rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: westerns
Touted as a continuation of the Sackett series, there was no evident tie in. This book chronicles the trek of a wagon train from mid-west to California. Internal strife, Indians, weather, interpersonal relationships dot the narrative. OK read. Not great.
Charles
Jul 25, 2010 Charles rated it liked it
Shelves: westerns
A collection of L'Amour's short stories. I generally like his novels better but there are some good ones here. L'Amour also wrote a number of short stories or novellas that he later expanded to full-length novels.
Lazey
Dec 13, 2012 Lazey rated it it was amazing
Some of my favorite Louis L'Amour short stories are in this collection. "The Courting of Grisabella" a Sackett short story and "The Gift of Cochise".
Fredrick Danysh
Oct 15, 2014 Fredrick Danysh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A collection of delightful frontier stories by the master storyteller Louis L'Amour. Many of these invole conflicts with Indians.
Frank
Dec 02, 2011 Frank rated it liked it
Disappointed this was a book of short stories instead of a novel. They were pretty good stories for the most part.
Jeff Anderson
Aug 25, 2009 Jeff Anderson rated it really liked it
Collection of short stories, really liked one called "The Gift of Cochise." This book made me want to work hard.
Allen
Jul 18, 2011 Allen rated it really liked it
A collection of short stories which are just about the right length for night time reading.
Sam Westlake
Dec 07, 2013 Sam Westlake rated it really liked it
Louis L'amour... what a great American West writer. I love his novels.
Patrick
Nov 03, 2009 Patrick rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
Old Children's Book. Liked it as a kid, but haven't read it in years.
Greg Schroeder
Jan 03, 2013 Greg Schroeder rated it it was amazing
As with Kiowa Trail, some of these stories are extremely well done.
Caleb
Jun 05, 2012 Caleb rated it it was ok
Collection of short stories are not my favorite.
Peter Charleston
Aug 23, 2014 Peter Charleston rated it really liked it
Shelves: library
An interesting western short story.
Holzster
Feb 06, 2013 Holzster rated it it was amazing
Must read if you like westerns
Nicole
Jul 29, 2012 Nicole rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, western
Only read Booty for a Badman.
Steve
Jan 02, 2012 Steve rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Not great, but enjoyable.
PWRL
Feb 10, 2012 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-new
O
  • The Killing Season (Trail of  the Gunfighter, #2)
  • The Spirit of the Border
  • Law of the Mountain Man (Mountain Man, #5)
  • The Night Horseman
  • Nevada! (Wagons West, #8)
-Wikipedia
More about Louis L'Amour...

The Sacketts (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Sackett's Land
  • Lando
  • Sackett
  • Mojave Crossing
  • The Sackett Brand

“There will always be folks who will talk, and the better you do in the world the more bad things they will say of you. Back there in the settlement you remember how the dogs used to run out and bark at our wagons?"

"Yes, ma."

"Did the wagons stop?"

"No, ma."

"Remember that, son. The dogs bark, but the wagons go on their way, and if you're going some place you haven't time to bother with barking dogs.”
1 likes