Start by marking “Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1)

Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles #1)

4.14  ·  Rating Details  ·  323,040 Ratings  ·  31,747 Reviews
Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl.

Hardcover, 1st Edition, 390 pages
Published January 3rd 2012 by Feiwel & Friends

Win a Copy of This Book

• Cinder by Marissa Meyer
    Cinder (Croniques lunars, #1)
    Release date: Jan 03, 2012
    Enter to win a signed Spanish language edition of CINDER: Book One of the Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer, published by Circulo de Lectores (Barcelo ...more

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 1 copy available, 6809 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Feb 01 - Apr 30, 2016

Countries available: US, CA, and AR more

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Cinder, please sign up.

Amariah Dixon Ummmm. Well. There is some cussing, (the "d" word is said a few times), the description of the disease is a little vivid. The concept might be kind of…moreUmmmm. Well. There is some cussing, (the "d" word is said a few times), the description of the disease is a little vivid. The concept might be kind of hard to understand. I really enjoyed this book. It's definitely darker than the original Cinderella! The romance is mild. If she's reading 7th grade level books, then it probably should be fine. If this says anything--it's clean for a YA book!
    Hopefully this helps! :)(less)
    This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
    Lauren
    This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Steph Sinclair
    Why?

WHY DIDN'T I READ THIS BOOK SOONER?!

It was so AWESOME!

MY EMOTIONS!!

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Let me go ahead and get this out of the way. I loved this book. Why in the world did I procrastinate with reading it? I've had Cinder sitting on my Kindle for a few months now and I continued to put it off over and over again. What a HUGE mistake! I even had the nerve to go into my local bookstore twice, pick Cinder up, and put it right back down. But all that doesn't really matter now because I've remedied the problem and
    Jesse (JesseTheReader)
    Jan 17, 2015 Jesse (JesseTheReader) rated it really liked it
    wow. wow. WOW.

I went into this book not expecting to like it. I'm not sure why, but this book completely surprised me!
    Tatiana
    Nov 25, 2011 Tatiana rated it it was ok
    As seen on The Readventurer

Let me first give credit where credit is due. A cyborg Cinderella? Wow! It's a bold premise. I applaud Marissa Meyer for thinking this up.

In this re-envisioning of the fairy tale, Lihn Cinder is a cyborg, meaning, she is almost half mechanical - she has prosthetic hands and a foot, a big chunk of her internal organs are wired into her body. Cinder is a mechanic in New Beijing, the capital of the Eastern Commonwealth, a country ravaged by plague outbreaks. One day, the
    Emily May
    Feb 13, 2016 Emily May rated it did not like it
    “I'm sure I'll feel much more grateful when I find a guy who thinks complex wiring in a girl is a turn-on.”

In this, my third attempt to read Cinder, I finally made it to the end. But I find myself wishing I hadn't bothered. Going into this book, I thought it was fair to expect a light, probably unremarkable, but ultimately entertaining read. I did not come to this book wanting my mind to be blown with science or to be taken to another world by beautiful prose, but I also did not expect it to b
    Kassidy
    Dec 09, 2015 Kassidy rated it it was amazing
    *4.5*This was amazing!! Why didn't anyone tell me to read it sooner?! Just kidding..
    The world and characters are so great, I can't wait to continue on in the series.
    Khanh (the Grinch)
    Dec 01, 2015 Khanh (the Grinch) rated it did not like it
    Shelves: to-read-released
    I guess I'm on a year-end quest to be the last person to read popular series. Last week: Hunger Games. This week: Cinder.

Or not. I hated it. No binging this series, sorry, dear friends. You may think it's harsh that I give this book one star when there was nothing offensive about it, but considering the hype, I expected far, far more than that we were given.

Before reading the book, I knew why it came highly recommended to me; in theory, this book should have been awesome. An Asian protagonist (E
    Anzu The Great Destroyer
    Katerina
    Jan 22, 2016 Katerina rated it really liked it
    Shelves: fantasy, dystopia
    “Even in the Future the Story Begins with Once Upon a Time.”

Once Upon a Time,there was an avid reader (let's call her K) who thought she was very clever but she couldn't be more wrong.You see,she'd heard about a futuristic version of Cinderella in which Cinder is a cyborg mechanic that everyone seemed to love but she refused to read it,because she was skeptical and a little prejudiced.One day she read the first page but when she came to the part where Cinder takes off her foot she said "Ok I
    Flannery
    positives and negatives from Cinder

*I know this sounds ridiculous. The whole point of the book is to create a futuristic cyborg Cinderella, right? Meyer is a wonderful writer. Her writing is engrossing and I was engaged throughout the entire book. But it really takes a certain amount of the fun out of a story when a reader already knows a lot of where the story is going. Cyborgs are relatively novel in the YA world. Books set in Asia are relatively novel in the YA world. I still really enjoyed the book the way it was but I think
    Navessa

CAN'T REVIEW.

NEED THE NEXT ONE NOW.

THIS IS ALL I'VE EVER WANTED IN A RETELLING.

Jeff
    Jan 21, 2016 Jeff rated it it was amazing
    Well call me surprised. Shocker of the century! I actually loved this book. I could not put it down. I was scared starting it due to what I thought would be inevitable romance but it was pretty minor in this one. But OH MAN did I wanna throw Adri to the wolves. What a terrible human. She got my blood boiling so friggin much. Also, cyborgs? Mind control? Moon people? Get outta here obviously I'm gonna like this book. All seriousness it is just well written. Cinder is a great character and you fin ...more
    Kat Stark

Buddyread with the fun-loving beautiful Morgan (Click to read her review)

I feel like one of these days, I'm gonna slap a three on a super hyped book one too many times and you guys are gonna come at me with pitchforks. Obviously, this has been reviewed over and over soooo...

I GOT IT IN THE MAIL!! Thank you for the book gift, Katherine, you're the best!!
    Jessica ❁ Far Dareis Mai ❁ Rabid Reads
    11/6/15:

CINDER still rocks my socks off. Levana and co. are still awful, wretched creatures, Dr. Erland is still insane, yet also somehow winsome, Adri and Pearl need to take a long walk off a short cliff, and Iko wins ALL THE POINTS. B/c Iko.

Cinder and Kai are pretty great, too.

Also, I love aliens. And cyborgs. And fairy tales. AND RETELLINGS.

10/24/15: Getting a bit of a late start on this reread with my peeps in BB&B , but I will catch up. B/c CINDER.

Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

Le
    Kat Kennedy
    Jun 22, 2012 Kat Kennedy rated it really liked it
    You know when people keep talking about a book. Lah, this is fantastic! OMG, you have to read this! If you don’t read this I’ll shank you and play hackeysack with your kidneys!

The usual…

This is one of those books. I was cruelly declined on netgalley so had mostly buried it in my TBR pile and forgotten about it until people started terrorizing me with demands to read it.

Oh am I so bloody happy I did! I loved this book! I stayed up most of the night to read it! It wasn’t perfect, of course. There
    ◕ ◡ ◕  Arooj
    Review after re-re-reading from Feb 27th to March 1st 2013:

Read it again for the third time! What can I say, I just love this book. So much that I want to marry it. Seriously. I love Cinder. And Iko. And Kai. And I really want to bitch slap Adri and Queen Levana. I swear, every time I read this book, they seem to get bitchier and bitchier.

I am now ready to start Scarlet! OHMAGERD I'M SO EFFIN' EXCITED XD.

Review after re-reading from Oct 3rd to 4th 2012:

Oh my stars. I didn't think it was possible
    Anne
    Cinderella with cyborgs!

description

So I'm pretty late to be jumping on the bandwagon, but this was really good! I know I normally gobble up any retelling, but when this first came out, there were so many iffy reviews that I gave it a pass.
    Stupid.
    I should have checked it out for myself.

So you have a pretty faithfulish retelling going on here. Of course, since it's sci-fi Cinderella, there are going to be some substitutions to the carriage and glass slipper.
    But they were really cool substitutions!
    Juliana Zapata
    Apr 01, 2016 Juliana Zapata rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: 2015
    Este era uno de esos libros que empiezas con grandes expectativas y que al final eso juega en tu contra. Tengo que reconocer que la portada y la edición son hermosas y estan muy bien acabadas, pero si me voy a la historia, siento que es bastante floja y que me quedó debiendo.

El inicio del libro fue bastante lento, siento que la autora se lió un poco para explicar el mundo que había creado, ya que estaba muy perdida y tardé bastante para meterme en la historia. Pero luego de hacer el esfuerzo par
    Brandi
    Feb 08, 2012 Brandi rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: terrible
    Super heavy sigh 1.5 stars is more of what I felt for this (actually as time passes I dislike this more and more).

There might be some spoiler-ish information through here, so don't read the tags if you don't want to know, but I will do my best to not spoil it outside of the tags.

I'm in the minority when it comes to the lack of adoration towards this book, and I just don't get it. There were so many things that annoyed me that I couldn't really focus on the story.

Cinder is a cyborg version of Ci
    Riley
    Nov 13, 2015 Riley rated it it was amazing
    Loved this so much more the second time around.

November 2015: 5 Stars
    July 2014: 4 Stars
    Darth J

I’ll admit that I’ve never been a fan of the Cinderella story; I mean are audiences really expected to believe that a prince wouldn’t remember a face and would go door to door with a shoe to identify a woman? It just didn’t seem plausible, even as a fairy tale. So that coupled with all the fangirling and hype over this series gave me low expectations going in. As you can see from the 4 stars I gave this, I actually enjoyed a lot of it.

Here we have a cyborg mechanic named Cinder (view spoiler)
    Christine Riccio
    Apr 15, 2014 Christine Riccio rated it really liked it
    Really enjoyed Cinder! It's more of a 4.35 stars in my book! Not 5 because I DIDN'T HEAD OVER HEELS LOVE IT, but i'm super excited as to where this series is going, I have a full booktallk/discussion here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xV9x3...
    Candace
    I've had this book on my radar for a long time now. With all the rave reviews and hype surrounding this book, I had psyched myself out for a spectacular read. Unfortunately, I also set myself up for disappointment. I liked the story, but definitely didn't fall in love with it like so many of my friends did.

A futuristic Cinderella story, 'Cinder' tells the story of a young cyborg mechanic. Cinder is forced to forfeit all of her earnings to her guardian, the woman that adopted her begrudgingly yea
    April
    Jan 25, 2016 April rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: favourites, reread, 2014, 2015
    First read - 11th January 2014
    Reread - 12th November 2015

I originally gave this 4 stars because it was predictable, but reading it the second time made me realise how OBSESSED I am with this series and the fact that there's no way for this book to NOT be predictable if you know what I mean. I just enjoyed it SO MUCH. And I can't wait to keep rereading the books and then finally read Winter! Eeeeeeep!
    Reynje

I’d venture to say that the version of Cinderella most people of my generation (or thereabouts) were introduced to was Disney’s blonde, blue-dress-wearing wearing, rags-to-riches interpretation. I know that for most of my childhood I associated the name with animated mice, glass slippers and that ‘Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boo’ song. (view spoiler)

But Cinderella’s roots lie centuries deeper, and forklore the world over is rich with var
    Erica Ravenclaw
    Jun 13, 2014 Erica Ravenclaw rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: buddy-reads
     photo anigif_enhanced-31161-1391113162-15_zpsda9cbc78.gif

Buddy read with Ange and Cory

No spoilers, I'll let the author do that for you in the first 10%, colorful language abound!

Expectations are a hell of a thing, aren't they? They take something that would have been mediocre at best and instead it is revealed as the worst offense of all, the failure to live up to it's own potential. You know what I was thinking of when hearing about a retelling of Cinderella who happens to be a fucking cyborg living in China? Malevolent characters, political motiv
    Liz
    Feb 21, 2015 Liz rated it really liked it
    Recommends it for: dystopian, fairy tale and sci-fi Fans...
    Shelves: sci-fi, great-read, i-own
    I read so many reviews and recommendations and I finally decided to read this book...

Cinder is a cyborg. It says everything, right?! Can a female protagonist be even better? No!
    She is a strong-willed, relieable and independant character. But there is even more about her that made me love her so much. She knows how to fix androids and other technical things. She is a very gifted mechanic. A girl? Mechanic?

I love Cinder!
    Finally something new and interesting!
    Ho
    Katie
    Jan 17, 2015 Katie rated it it was amazing
    So I went into this with pretty much no expectations and WOW IT WAS A GREAT TIME. I'm probably going to actually continue on with the series, which is kind of a big deal in my world, apparently.
    Giselle (Book Nerd Canada)
    Cinderella meets Star Wars meets iRobot meets Outbreak!

This isn’t your ordinary tale of Hans Christian Andersan’s Cinderella. In this tale, Cinderella is a cyborg who lives in New Beijing. It’s set in the future where Prince Kai is set to be emperor because the plague reached his own father who is dying. The people are desperate for a cure and when it looks like Cinder has the key to being the antidote because she is immune.

I love how Cinder is feisty. How she is intelligent and beautiful at the
    Destini Mia~ ♕ Sassy Lassie
    Dec 08, 2015 Destini Mia~ ♕ Sassy Lassie rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: favorites
    “Even in the Future the Story Begins with Once Upon a Time.”

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to p
    The Holy Terror
    I didn't really want to write a review for this one, because there are plenty of other reviews that are pretty much what I would say as well, BUT, I loved this book a lot.

I suggest you read the free prequel, which is actually really good! I think it's best to read it after you've read maybe a chapter or two of Cinder first, so you can get an idea of who's who - that's what I did, although I hadn't planned it that way.

This book is a retelling of Cinderella, which is easy to see, and there is a tw
    For Love of a Book: Cinder Buddy Read 31 18 2 hours, 13 min ago
    2016 Reading Chal...: Cinder by Marissa Meyer 2 53 2 hours, 31 min ago
    Thoughts on The Lunar Chronicles? 9 47 Apr 28, 2016 06:05PM
    Books Ever After: * Cinder - April 2016 Fantasy/Dystopian 51 63 Apr 28, 2016 09:05AM
    2016 Reading Chal...: Cinder: Chapter 21-29 (Contains Spoilers) 6 30 Apr 25, 2016 08:47PM
    2016 Reading Chal...: Cinder: Reviews by 2016 Reading Challengers 38 92 Apr 25, 2016 05:19PM
    • Through the Ever Night (Under the Never Sky, #2)
    • For Darkness Shows the Stars (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #1)
    • Partials (Partials Sequence, #1)
    • Masque of the Red Death (Masque of the Red Death, #1)
    • Fathomless (Fairytale Retellings, #3)
    • The Crown of Embers (Fire and Thorns, #2)
    • Siege and Storm (The Grisha, #2)
    • This Shattered World (Starbound, #2)
    • Shades of Earth (Across the Universe, #3)
    • Quintana of Charyn (Lumatere Chronicles, #3)
    • Goliath (Leviathan, #3)
    • Of Beast and Beauty
    • Star Cursed (The Cahill Witch Chronicles #2)
    • Scorch (Croak, #2)
    • Girl of Nightmares (Anna, #2)
    • Everneath (Everneath, #1)
    • Origin (Corpus, #1)
    • Demonglass (Hex Hall, #2)
    I live in Tacoma, Washington, with my fiancé and our two cats. In addition to my slight obsession with books and writing, I'm big on road-tripping, wine-tasting, and hunting for antiques. I'm represented by Jill Grinberg.

CINDER, my debut novel, is a futuristic re-envisioning of Cinderella in which Cinder is a cyborg mechanic. Release date: 3 Jan 2012.
    More about Marissa Meyer...

The Lunar Chronicles (4 books)
    • Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles, #2)
    • Cress (The Lunar Chronicles, #3)
    • Winter (The Lunar Chronicles, #4)

40 trivia questions
    13 quizzes
    More quizzes & trivia...
    “Even in the Future the Story Begins with Once Upon a Time.” 2141 likes
    “I don't know. I don't actually remember anything from before the surgery."

His eyebrows rose, his blue eyes sucking in all the light of the room. "The cybernetic opetation?"

"No, the sex change."

The doctor's smile faltered.

"I'm joking.”