Start by marking “Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1)

Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles #1)

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  226,014 ratings  ·  23,912 reviews
Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl.

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s i
Hardcover, 1st Edition, 390 pages
Published January 3rd 2012 by Feiwel & Friends (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Cinder, please sign up.

Kristi I think it depends on your individual child's maturity. I just read these as a 30 something and would not recommend it for a 9 year old. The…moreI think it depends on your individual child's maturity. I just read these as a 30 something and would not recommend it for a 9 year old. The descriptions of the disease, the war themes, and the political themes would seem advanced for that age to me. I'd wait till 13 or so. (less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Lauren
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Steph Sinclair
Why?

WHY DIDN'T I READ THIS BOOK SOONER?!

It was so AWESOME!

MY EMOTIONS!!

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Let me go ahead and get this out of the way. I loved this book. Why in the world did I procrastinate with reading it? I've had Cinder sitting on my Kindle for a few months now and I continued to put it off over and over again. What a HUGE mistake! I even had the nerve to go into my local bookstore twice, pick Cinder up, and put it right back down. But all that doesn't really matter now because I've remedied the problem and
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
wow. wow. WOW.

I went into this book not expecting to like it. I'm not sure why, but this book completely surprised me!
Tatiana
As seen on The Readventurer

Let me first give credit where credit is due. A cyborg Cinderella? Wow! It's a bold premise. I applaud Marissa Meyer for thinking this up.

In this re-envisioning of the fairy tale, Lihn Cinder is a cyborg, meaning, she is almost half mechanical - she has prosthetic hands and a foot, a big chunk of her internal organs are wired into her body. Cinder is a mechanic in New Beijing, the capital of the Eastern Commonwealth, a country ravaged by plague outbreaks. One day, the
Joel
This is how a YA novel should be.
Anzu The Great Destroyer
*mild spoilers*
Cyborgs!!!! *squeeaaaal*

Androids!!!! *squeeaaaal*

New Beijing!!!! *squeeaaaal*

Cinderella!!!!! *sque—uhm, I’m more of a Beauty and the Beast girl. But not bad.

Cinder was one helluva ride for me. Saying that it was a special one is an understatement. Why I call it special? Because of the ups and downs it had. If you read my Kindle notes for this review you’d thing I’m suffering of DID (Dissociative Identity Disorder).

What do you think doctor House? Am I sick? Can it be treated??

Y
Emily May
“I'm sure I'll feel much more grateful when I find a guy who thinks complex wiring in a girl is a turn-on.”

In this, my third attempt to read Cinder, I finally made it to the end. But I find myself wishing I hadn't bothered. Going into this book, I thought it was fair to expect a light, probably unremarkable, but ultimately entertaining read. I did not come to this book wanting my mind to be blown with science or to be taken to another world by beautiful prose, but I also did not expect it to b
Flannery
positives and negatives from Cinder

*I know this sounds ridiculous. The whole point of the book is to create a futuristic cyborg Cinderella, right? Meyer is a wonderful writer. Her writing is engrossing and I was engaged throughout the entire book. But it really takes a certain amount of the fun out of a story when a reader already knows a lot of where the story is going. Cyborgs are relatively novel in the YA world. Books set in Asia are relatively novel in the YA world. I still really enjoyed the book the way it was but I think
Navessa

CAN'T REVIEW.

NEED THE NEXT ONE NOW.

THIS IS ALL I'VE EVER WANTED IN A RETELLING.

Kat Stark

Buddyread with the fun-loving beautiful Morgan (Click to read her review)

I feel like one of these days, I'm gonna slap a three on a super hyped book one too many times and you guys are gonna come at me with pitchforks. Obviously, this has been reviewed over and over soooo...

I GOT IT IN THE MAIL!! Thank you for the book gift, Katherine, you're the best!!
◕ ◡ ◕  Arooj
Review after re-re-reading from Feb 27th to March 1st 2013:

Read it again for the third time! What can I say, I just love this book. So much that I want to marry it. Seriously. I love Cinder. And Iko. And Kai. And I really want to bitch slap Adri and Queen Levana. I swear, every time I read this book, they seem to get bitchier and bitchier.

I am now ready to start Scarlet! OHMAGERD I'M SO EFFIN' EXCITED XD.

Review after re-reading from Oct 3rd to 4th 2012:

Oh my stars. I didn't think it was possible
Kat Kennedy
You know when people keep talking about a book. Lah, this is fantastic! OMG, you have to read this! If you don’t read this I’ll shank you and play hackeysack with your kidneys!

The usual…

This is one of those books. I was cruelly declined on netgalley so had mostly buried it in my TBR pile and forgotten about it until people started terrorizing me with demands to read it.

Oh am I so bloody happy I did! I loved this book! I stayed up most of the night to read it! It wasn’t perfect, of course. There
Brandi
Super heavy sigh 1.5 stars is more of what I felt for this (actually as time passes I dislike this more and more).

There might be some spoiler-ish information through here, so don't read the tags if you don't want to know, but I will do my best to not spoil it outside of the tags.

I'm in the minority when it comes to the lack of adoration towards this book, and I just don't get it. There were so many things that annoyed me that I couldn't really focus on the story.

Cinder is a cyborg version of Ci
J.

I’ll admit that I’ve never been a fan of the Cinderella story; I mean are audiences really expected to believe that a prince wouldn’t remember a face and would go door to door with a shoe to identify a woman? It just didn’t seem plausible, even as a fairy tale. So that coupled with all the fangirling and hype over this series gave me low expectations going in. As you can see from the 4 stars I gave this, I actually enjoyed a lot of it.

Here we have a cyborg mechanic named Cinder (view spoiler)
Kiki
Reynje

I’d venture to say that the version of Cinderella most people of my generation (or thereabouts) were introduced to was Disney’s blonde, blue-dress-wearing wearing, rags-to-riches interpretation. I know that for most of my childhood I associated the name with animated mice, glass slippers and that ‘Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boo’ song. (view spoiler)

But Cinderella’s roots lie centuries deeper, and forklore the world over is rich with var
Erica Ravenclaw
 photo anigif_enhanced-31161-1391113162-15_zpsda9cbc78.gif

Buddy read with Ange and Cory

No spoilers, I'll let the author do that for you in the first 10%, colorful language abound!

Expectations are a hell of a thing, aren't they? They take something that would have been mediocre at best and instead it is revealed as the worst offense of all, the failure to live up to it's own potential. You know what I was thinking of when hearing about a retelling of Cinderella who happens to be a fucking cyborg living in China? Malevolent characters, political motiv
Liz
Feb 21, 2015 Liz rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: dystopian, fairy tale and sci-fi Fans...
Shelves: splendid, i-own, sci-fi
I read so many reviews and recommendations and I finally decided to read this book...

Cinder is a cyborg. It says everything, right?! Can a female protagonist be even better? No!
She is a strong-willed, relieable and independant character. But there is even more about her that made me love her so much. She knows how to fix androids and other technical things. She is a very gifted mechanic. A girl? Mechanic?

I love Cinder!
Finally something new and interesting!
Ho
The Holy Terror
I didn't really want to write a review for this one, because there are plenty of other reviews that are pretty much what I would say as well, BUT, I loved this book a lot.

I suggest you read the free prequel, which is actually really good! I think it's best to read it after you've read maybe a chapter or two of Cinder first, so you can get an idea of who's who - that's what I did, although I hadn't planned it that way.

This book is a retelling of Cinderella, which is easy to see, and there is a tw
Destini Mia~ ♕ Sassy Lassie
“Even in the Future the Story Begins with Once Upon a Time.”

• Cinderella • Little Red Riding Hood • Rapunzel • Snow White •

Katie
So I went into this with pretty much no expectations and WOW IT WAS A GREAT TIME. I'm probably going to actually continue on with the series, which is kind of a big deal in my world, apparently.
Sh3lly (Not all those who wander are lost)
This is one of those books EVERYONE has already read and one I've had on my TBR pile for a long time. Some of my friends here recently did a buddy read/re-read and so I decided to bump it up on my list. So glad I did. I'm not going to summarize it because thousands of people already have. All you need to know is it's a Cinderella story, but way cooler with cyborgs and a dystopian vibe.

Plus, this is really good Young Adult. That isn't so common these days, in my view. The female MC, Cinder, is f
Christine Riccio
Really enjoyed Cinder! It's more of a 4.35 stars in my book! Not 5 because I DIDN'T HEAD OVER HEELS LOVE IT, but i'm super excited as to where this series is going, I have a full booktallk/discussion here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xV9x3...
Annabeth Stone
I was excited to start this book since I have been wanting to read it. It totally live up to expectations along with everyone's opinions of it. I loved how the book was based off of Cinderella yet was different from it with plagues, cyborgs, and Lunars (people from the moon). Of course, Kai (the equivalent of Prince Charming) was kind and every girls dream. The book had some plot twists, especially at the end where I literally said "Whoa, plot twist!" That was one of the reasons why this book wa ...more
Laz
Feb 19, 2015 Laz rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy lovers
«Even in the Future the Story Begins with Once Upon a Time.»

Wow. This was extremely good. Fascinating even. Exhilarating. Absolutely loved this. It was a very enjoyable read. As you may know, this is a retelling of Cinderella but it's not just that. There's much more to it. At first, I thought it would be a crappy, girly story & I stayed away from it for a while despite all the praise I had been seeing.

Mrs. Meyer took Cinderella, turned her into a bad-ass, snarky cyborg - a human with mac
Jillian -always aspiring-
(Actual Rating: 3.5 stars)

There has been much buzz surrounding Marissa Meyer's debut novel, Cinder, over the months leading up to its publication. How could there not be? The main hook is Cinderella as a cyborg. Even without reading the synopsis, many people would likely snap to attention at the mention of such an idea, and I was no exception to to the allure of what this book might entail.

In the end, my curiosity felt only half-rewarded. Cinder was an enjoyable read with good (and some really u
Megan
Cyborg Cinderella is such an awesome concept that unfortunately never made it as an awesome story. At least, not in this book. The reviews for Cinder are all over the place, so even though I didn't enjoy this from the first chapter, I stuck with it hoping for a satisfying ending. Blegh, big mistake.

Where to begin? The fact that this is inspired by Cinderella takes a lot of intensity out of the novel. Will Cinder go to the ball? Does the prince really like her? Will her step-mother guardian thwa
AriaTheBookNerd
Buddy Read with Charlie

They took away her beautiful clothes, dressed her in an old gray smock, and gave her wooden shoes.

I cannot even think of how I should begin this review… So let me try and use GIFs since I haven't used GIFs in my reviews for a while.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This book just really knocked it out of the park for me. And I have high hopes that the rest of the series will too. I haven't been this excited about a book series since the Grisha Trilogy by Leigh Bardugo that I read last year. After reading
Colleen Houck
Love love loved this book. It's like 7 of 9 meets Cinderella. Only problem is that I wanted to keep reading after it was over. Love Cinder and Kai reminds me of Ren. Technology so creative! Can't wait to get my hands on the next book!
Minli
Okay, so, Cinder is full of so many awesome ideas. I say, cyborg Cinderella, you say, hell yea?

The geographic landscape in the indeterminate future is thus: conglomerated continents are the new countries, with the "other" as the strangely mystical humanoid society called the Lunars inhabiting the moon. On earth, Linh Cinder lives in New Beijing, works as a mechanic in a marketplace stall, and deals with her stepmother's daily crap. However, aside from the stepmother and the presence of a ball,
Joel
OMGOMGOMG!!! This is definitely the best book i have read in a while! Aghhhhh need to read the next one aghhhhhh!
  • The Eternity Cure (Blood of Eden, #2)
  • Days of Blood & Starlight (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #2)
  • Red Glove (Curse Workers, #2)
  • Froi of the Exiles (Lumatere Chronicles, #2)
  • Fragments (Partials, #2)
  • Ruin and Rising (The Grisha, #3)
  • The Wild Orchid: A Retelling of "The Ballad of Mulan" (Once Upon a Time Fairytales)
  • Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass, #2)
  • Mothership (Ever-Expanding Universe, #1)
  • Princess of the Silver Woods (Princess, #3)
  • For Darkness Shows the Stars (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #1)
  • UnWholly (Unwind, #2)
  • Rogue (Croak, #3)
  • All Our Yesterdays
  • The Lost Girl
  • Masque of the Red Death (Masque of the Red Death, #1)
  • A Million Suns (Across the Universe, #2)
  • The Girl in the Steel Corset (Steampunk Chronicles, #1)
I live in Tacoma, Washington, with my fiancé and our two cats. In addition to my slight obsession with books and writing, I'm big on road-tripping, wine-tasting, and hunting for antiques. I'm represented by Jill Grinberg.

CINDER, my debut novel, is a futuristic re-envisioning of Cinderella in which Cinder is a cyborg mechanic. Release date: 3 Jan 2012.
More about Marissa Meyer...

The Lunar Chronicles (5 books)
  • Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles, #2)
  • Cress (The Lunar Chronicles, #3)
  • Winter (The Lunar Chronicles, #4)
  • Stars Above (The Lunar Chronicles #0.5, 0.6, 1.5, 3.1, 3.6)
Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles, #2) Cress (The Lunar Chronicles, #3) Fairest (The Lunar Chronicles, #3.5) Glitches (The Lunar Chronicles, #0.5) The Queen's Army (The Lunar Chronicles, #1.5)

35 trivia questions
8 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“Even in the Future the Story Begins with Once Upon a Time.” 1421 likes
“I don't know. I don't actually remember anything from before the surgery."

His eyebrows rose, his blue eyes sucking in all the light of the room. "The cybernetic opetation?"

"No, the sex change."

The doctor's smile faltered.

"I'm joking.”