Start by marking “The First Fast Draw” as Want to Read:
The First Fast Draw

The First Fast Draw

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  1,270 ratings  ·  24 reviews
You can't go home again....

East Texas wasn't much of a home for Cullen Baker. Few liked him, and some even tried to kill him. Yet after three hard years of wandering, he's come back to farm the land that's rightfully his.

Only Cullen's in for an unwelcome homecoming: his neighbors have long memories, the Reconstructionists have greedy hearts, and his worst enemy has teamed
Published February 1st 1985 by Bantam

To ask other readers questions about The First Fast Draw, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The First Fast Draw

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas AdamsWatership Down by Richard AdamsThe Stand by Stephen KingInterview with the Vampire by Anne RiceThe Princess Bride by William Goldman
Best Books of the Decade: 1970's
334th out of 813 books — 777 voters
Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtryRiders of the Purple Sage by Zane GreyThe Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWittJubal Sackett by Louis L'AmourThe Sacketts Box 5 vols by Louis L'Amour
My 10 Favorite Westerns
20th out of 79 books — 22 voters

More lists with this book...

Michael Graeme
My introduction to the western genre, passed onto me by my 14yr old son who's currently going through Louis L'Amour like a dose of salts. Thoroughly enjoyed it. A fairly short tale, about 150 pages. Very descriptive of the landscape, and quite insightful I thought, as well as being a book of action and of course lots of gunsmoke. The writing is easy to get into, very simple prose and dialogue style, but far from simplistic. It's easy to see why Louis L'Amour has the reputation he does. I'll be r ...more
Michael Kennard
Read most of Louis Lamour's books when I was in my late teens and early twenties. They are important to me as they were some of the first books that got me into the reading habit. For that I shall be forever grateful
Moe  Shinola
This is a really good book to start with if you're new to L'Amour's books. It moves along well, has a good story and characters, and ends well also. After this you should check out The Sky-Liners and Sackett.
Jeff Stiles
This was my 2nd L'Amour book. His books are simple but they are not dumb. He did his research when it came to history, weapons, etc. Good stuff.
Ryan Mishap
The boom reverberated off the canyon walls and the screams and the smoke and the noise—I’m ashamed to say I fainted. I came to rather quickly, the explosive percussion fading like a thunderclap far away, but my mind had fallen into that other canyon—the darker one of memory. That last night in our town, before we were ordered to evacuate, when Mother screamed and smoke billowed from the broken windows of the church. That night when I-
Funny, the places your mind takes you at inopportune moments.
Chris Burrage
I had been looking for some western pulp for a while, and learned that L'amour was one of the more revered writers of yarns in this genre, with a comprehensive catalogue of western titles under his belt.

I read this book last year, and was impressed with the fine story telling ability that L'amour possessed. His scenery is finely depicted and his characters visceral and real. A really good, swift read with solid plotting and plenty of suspense.
Jael
It may be a while before it actually sinks in that I of all people actually just read a WESTERN NOVEL.

Seriously. This is ME we are talking about here.

It took me a while to get into it and adjust to the odd cadence of the narrator's voice, but by the time I got to the third chapter or so I stopped noticing that so much and was able to better focus on the story itself.

It was nice and fast-paced, did not waste time with unwieldy narrative, and while certain parts of it were predictable, there was e
Uppercase Reviews

It's a good novel. The First Fast Draw is a novel by Louis L'Amour is about Cullen Baker and some of his friends who fought for the south in the civil war. The reconstruction crew is coming through and taking any land owned by someone who fought For the south in the civil war. Cullen Baker was already known as a trouble maker in his town and so he came any ways. There isn't really any cussing and it is a great western that takes place in the mississippi area shortly after the civil war.
Wyatt Polt
It is a fantastic book. He invented a new way to fight. The title of the book says it. The first fast draw. He invented it to fight Barlow, his enemy. Barlow has making Baker mad and so when Cullen got the chance, he killed Sam Barlow. I thought this book was very good because it has details. The book may be long, but it is interesting. I like comic books, but this book was just as good. Also, I would recommend this book to others. Clearly, this book is a good book for many reasons.
Justin
I wanted to give this book 3* but just couldn't. It wasn't a bad book, but it was just a little too slow for me. I never could quite relate with the main characters way of thinking the whole time either. The ending was very good and fast paced with some good twists, but it wasn't enough to make up for the first of the book.
philip
Ah, L'Amour is a good story teller. Seem to read a couple every summer. They are an enjoyable vacation read when the sun is out and the opportunity arises to sit under a tree and wander the west in one of his stories.
This is the tale of a young man training himself to be a fast draw which he uses successfully in the story.
Paul Metting
I found this one to be another fun read from LL. I've read many from him but never in this particular setting; the South during Reconstruction.

Gun nuts will love it for the period pieces, such as: Spencers, Henrys, and of course Colt Dragoons, which our hero uses to great advantage, applying his newly-invented fast draw.
Fredrick Danysh
Cullen Baker has returned from the Civil war to Texas and his trying to make a living. When old enemies come after him, he is forced to develop a fast draw. Then woman trouble intervenes. The First Fast Draw captures the mood in post-Civil War Texas.
Dale Parrott
This was the first western I have read and still my favorite. The thing that I like most about Louis Lamour westerns is that the heroes of the stories are always tough honest men of great integrity and honor. Just plain good books
Mister Jones
Dec 27, 2009 Mister Jones rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: the cowboy in you!
Recommended to Mister Jones by: free at the community charity center
Read like the standard b-grade western; nothing outstanding, and became pretty dull after about 1/3 of the novel--stereotypical rigidity. Be that as it may, it won't stop me from reading L'Amour's other novels.
Charles
This is one of the first dozen or so L'Amour books that I read and it really helped cement his reputation for me. An excellent book. L'Amour does action and landscapes as well as anyone.
Austin Unseld
This is a good book with a great plot. It has a good amount of suspense and makes you want to keep reading. Easy to follow and understand. Overall, I think it is a good a good book
Brad
Another selfish add. The protagonist in this book is a distant relative.
Sharon
This was a riveting description of how the fast draw may have developed.
John
a very pleasant day read. his books always end up beat, positive.
Partridge Public
Nov 26, 2007 Partridge Public added it
Recommends it for: L'Am West PB
L'Amour, Louis PB
Steve
Excellent, like all Louis L'Amour westerns...
Dale Rosso
Nov 09, 2013 Dale Rosso rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: All ages.
Enjoyable story.
Dec 01, 2008 Cws added it
W L'Am
Under another title 1 6 Dec 16, 2009 05:50PM
  • The Lone Star Ranger
  • Dakota! (Wagons West, #11)
  • The Dawn of Fury (Trail of the Gunfighter, #1)
  • Breakheart Pass
  • The Shootist
  • Sons of Texas
  • Appaloosa (Virgil Cole & Everett Hitch, #1)
-Wikipedia
More about Louis L'Amour...
Last of the Breed The Walking Drum Hondo Sackett's Land (The Sacketts, #1) The Lonesome Gods