Start by marking “The First Fast Draw” as Want to Read:
The First Fast Draw

The First Fast Draw

3.91  ·  Rating Details ·  1,641 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
You can't go home again....

East Texas wasn't much of a home for Cullen Baker. Few liked him, and some even tried to kill him. Yet after three hard years of wandering, he's come back to farm the land that's rightfully his.

Only Cullen's in for an unwelcome homecoming: his neighbors have long memories, the Reconstructionists have greedy hearts, and his worst enemy has teamed
Published February 1st 1985 by Bantam

To ask other readers questions about The First Fast Draw, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The First Fast Draw

Michael Graeme
Dec 11, 2010 Michael Graeme rated it really liked it
My introduction to the western genre, passed onto me by my 14yr old son who's currently going through Louis L'Amour like a dose of salts. Thoroughly enjoyed it. A fairly short tale, about 150 pages. Very descriptive of the landscape, and quite insightful I thought, as well as being a book of action and of course lots of gunsmoke. The writing is easy to get into, very simple prose and dialogue style, but far from simplistic. It's easy to see why Louis L'Amour has the reputation he does. I'll be r ...more
Moe  Shinola
Mar 22, 2011 Moe Shinola rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
This is a really good book to start with if you're new to L'Amour's books. It moves along well, has a good story and characters, and ends well also. After this you should check out The Sky-Liners and Sackett.
Michael Kennard
Sep 27, 2012 Michael Kennard rated it liked it
Read most of Louis Lamour's books when I was in my late teens and early twenties. They are important to me as they were some of the first books that got me into the reading habit. For that I shall be forever grateful
Jeff Stiles
Feb 12, 2014 Jeff Stiles rated it liked it
This was my 2nd L'Amour book. His books are simple but they are not dumb. He did his research when it came to history, weapons, etc. Good stuff.
Ryan Mishap
Mar 08, 2009 Ryan Mishap rated it did not like it
The boom reverberated off the canyon walls and the screams and the smoke and the noise—I’m ashamed to say I fainted. I came to rather quickly, the explosive percussion fading like a thunderclap far away, but my mind had fallen into that other canyon—the darker one of memory. That last night in our town, before we were ordered to evacuate, when Mother screamed and smoke billowed from the broken windows of the church. That night when I-
Funny, the places your mind takes you at inopportune moments.
Rob Smith
Dec 27, 2016 Rob Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2016
A fine tale by L'Amour with the usual unusual layout of a story that most westerns can't pull off. Also, as usual a lot is covered in a few pages another author would take 50 to write.

This setting is north Texas and the scenery is excellently written as usual. L'Amour covers everywhere from swamp to mansion to town in description that will put the reader there. The characters are also great as always, though there is often too much similarity between various characters from other books. I have t
John Bess
Nov 19, 2016 John Bess rated it really liked it
I'm not a big country western fan but this was an interesting and captivating short story.
Jonah
Sep 16, 2016 Jonah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: western
Prasidh Ramson
Nov 05, 2016 Prasidh Ramson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading outside my genre again - I've decided to try a Western. Louis L'Amour has been a name synonymous with this genre, so I chose this book based on the synopsis and the cover art. I was not disappointed.

Cullen Baker, is a young cowboy, that after years of wandering returns to his late parents' dilapidated farm to start life anew. Looming over him are old enemies, rival neighbours and post-Civil War Reconstructionists. As if this wasn't enough, a young lady has also caught his eye. The title
Paul
Jul 11, 2016 Paul rated it liked it
Number 15 in my Louis L'Amour project and the first of two books from 1959.

Told in the first person Cullen Baker has returned to his boyhood home in East Texas that he left as a youngster after his folks died. His family was poor and scratched out a living but Cullen was not liked because of his social status.

Deciding to return to the Texas homestead after the Civil War Cullen soon runs afoul of Reconstruction carpet baggers and bullies from his childhood past who are not too happy to see him a
Chuck
This was my fiftieth Louis L'Amour novel which means I am nearing the halfway point. This surpeisingly was not one of his formularly westerns which as a general rule, by my tastes, is a good thing. The book, however was a disappointment. The male characters in this book were ragged, violent and mean spirited men and even the major character left me feeling that I would not want to spend much time with him. It takes place in the swamps on the Louisiana-Texas border which did not evoke what L'Amou ...more
Jael
Sep 13, 2011 Jael rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, western, 2009
It may be a while before it actually sinks in that I of all people actually just read a WESTERN NOVEL.

Seriously. This is ME we are talking about here.

It took me a while to get into it and adjust to the odd cadence of the narrator's voice, but by the time I got to the third chapter or so I stopped noticing that so much and was able to better focus on the story itself.

It was nice and fast-paced, did not waste time with unwieldy narrative, and while certain parts of it were predictable, there was e
Uppercase Reviews
Sep 06, 2011 Uppercase Reviews rated it really liked it
Shelves: kent-s-reviews

It's a good novel. The First Fast Draw is a novel by Louis L'Amour is about Cullen Baker and some of his friends who fought for the south in the civil war. The reconstruction crew is coming through and taking any land owned by someone who fought For the south in the civil war. Cullen Baker was already known as a trouble maker in his town and so he came any ways. There isn't really any cussing and it is a great western that takes place in the mississippi area shortly after the civil war.
Wyatt Polt
Jan 14, 2013 Wyatt Polt rated it really liked it
It is a fantastic book. He invented a new way to fight. The title of the book says it. The first fast draw. He invented it to fight Barlow, his enemy. Barlow has making Baker mad and so when Cullen got the chance, he killed Sam Barlow. I thought this book was very good because it has details. The book may be long, but it is interesting. I like comic books, but this book was just as good. Also, I would recommend this book to others. Clearly, this book is a good book for many reasons.
C.P. Burrage
Nov 30, 2014 C.P. Burrage rated it really liked it
I had been looking for some western pulp for a while, and learned that L'amour was one of the more revered writers of yarns in this genre, with a comprehensive catalogue of western titles under his belt.

I read this book last year, and was impressed with the fine story telling ability that L'amour possessed. His scenery is finely depicted and his characters visceral and real. A really good, swift read with solid plotting and plenty of suspense.
Paul Metting
Aug 11, 2013 Paul Metting rated it liked it
I found this one to be another fun read from LL. I've read many from him but never in this particular setting; the South during Reconstruction.

Gun nuts will love it for the period pieces, such as: Spencers, Henrys, and of course Colt Dragoons, which our hero uses to great advantage, applying his newly-invented fast draw.
philip
Jun 24, 2013 philip rated it liked it
Shelves: western
Ah, L'Amour is a good story teller. Seem to read a couple every summer. They are an enjoyable vacation read when the sun is out and the opportunity arises to sit under a tree and wander the west in one of his stories.
This is the tale of a young man training himself to be a fast draw which he uses successfully in the story.
Dale Parrott
Jun 25, 2016 Dale Parrott rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, westerns
This was the first western I have read and still my favorite. The thing that I like most about Louis Lamour westerns is that the heroes of the stories are always tough honest men of great integrity and honor. Just plain good books
Mister Jones
Dec 27, 2009 Mister Jones rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: the cowboy in you!
Recommended to Mister Jones by: free at the community charity center
Read like the standard b-grade western; nothing outstanding, and became pretty dull after about 1/3 of the novel--stereotypical rigidity. Be that as it may, it won't stop me from reading L'Amour's other novels.
Fredrick Danysh
Oct 13, 2014 Fredrick Danysh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cullen Baker has returned from the Civil war to Texas and his trying to make a living. When old enemies come after him, he is forced to develop a fast draw. Then woman trouble intervenes. The First Fast Draw captures the mood in post-Civil War Texas.
Fredrick Danysh
Sep 23, 2016 Fredrick Danysh rated it really liked it
Colin Baker returns to his farm in East Texas after three years of wandering following the Civil War. He had fought on the wrong side according to his neighbors who also want his land. He has to fight for his life and a girl.
Charles
Jul 16, 2008 Charles rated it it was amazing
Shelves: westerns
This is one of the first dozen or so L'Amour books that I read and it really helped cement his reputation for me. An excellent book. L'Amour does action and landscapes as well as anyone.
Austin Unseld
Sep 06, 2012 Austin Unseld rated it liked it
This is a good book with a great plot. It has a good amount of suspense and makes you want to keep reading. Easy to follow and understand. Overall, I think it is a good a good book
Randall Gwin
Randall Gwin rated it it was ok
Aug 17, 2012
Roland
Roland rated it liked it
May 17, 2014
Arlene Coulter
Arlene Coulter rated it it was amazing
Oct 08, 2012
Thanh
Thanh rated it really liked it
Oct 15, 2011
Cliff Rogers
Cliff Rogers rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2016
Atoly
Atoly rated it really liked it
Jun 21, 2016
J. Heath
J. Heath rated it really liked it
Oct 03, 2015
Under another title 1 9 Dec 16, 2009 05:50PM
  • The Drift Fence
  • Nebraska! (Wagons West, #2)
  • The Dawn of Fury (Trail of the Gunfighter, #1)
  • The Bounty Hunters
  • The Way of the Coyote (Texas Rangers, #3)
  • The Log of a Cowboy: A Narrative of the Old Trail Days
  • Bootlegger's Boy
-Wikipedia
More about Louis L'Amour...