Start by marking “Trouble Shooter” as Want to Read:
Trouble Shooter

Trouble Shooter (Hopalong Cassidy #4)

Hopalong Cassidy is one of the most enduring and popular heroes in frontier fiction. His legendary exploits in books, movies, and on television have blazed a mythic and unforgettable trail across the American West. Now, in the last of four Hopalong Cassidy novels written by Louis L'Amour, the immortal saddleman rides again—this time into a lonely valley of danger and death ...more
Published March 1st 1995 by Bantam (first published 1951)

To ask other readers questions about Trouble Shooter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trouble Shooter

Robin Hobb
A good solid Western, with Hopalong as the scrubbed good guy from the TV series rather than the red-headed, foul-mouthed cowhand of the original books. And now that I know that, I'll try to find one of the original Hop-Along's (so named because he had a pronounced limp in those tales.)
Stephanie Ricker
May 18, 2012 Stephanie Ricker rated it liked it
Shelves: westerns
I read Troubleshooter and The Riders of High Rock, both Hopalong Cassidy novels, a couple days apart, so I'll just review them together. This is the last of L’Amour for a while, I promise you. In general I prefer L’Amour’s original characters; Hopalong Cassidy was created by another writer, Clarence Mulford, in 1904. He wrote a slew of short stories and 28 novels about Hopalong, and Hollywood made 66 movies featuring the character. L’Amour wrote four Hopalong books under the pen name Tex Burns, ...more
Benjamin Thomas
Nov 02, 2016 Benjamin Thomas rated it really liked it
Shelves: western
The fourth and final Hopalong Cassidy novel by Louis L’Amour is another good outing in the form of a traditional western. The title is an appropriate one because not only does Hoppy display excellent quick-draw shooting skills, as expected, but the plot focuses on his penchant for problem solving while rescuing families and former outlaws from the schemes of an evil businessman with a gang of ornery gunfighters and thugs.

As I’ve mentioned in previous reviews of this 4-book series, Louis L’Amour
Ed
Jul 17, 2016 Ed rated it really liked it
Shelves: action, western
#4 in the Hopalong Cassidy series by author Louis L'Amour, writing as Tex Burns. L'Amour hid these novel under a pseudonym because his publisher demanded a kinder and gentler Hoppy in the TV and movie William E. Boyd persona rather than as the hard-bitten cowhand in the Clarence E. Mulford tradition whose series of novels L'Amour had been picked to continue.

The Hopalong Cassidy Novels #4 - Hopalong Cassidy has received an urgent message from the dead. Answering an urgent appeal for help from fel
James  Love
This is the last Hopalong Cassidy novel by Louis L'Amour (aka Tex Burns). The story has Hoppy riding to help his old friend Pete Melford after receiving a letter from him. It seems Mr. Melford had a ranch that was bequeathed to his daughter... a ranch that has somehow disappeared.

The main reason Mr. L'Amour hated (or maybe was just very disappointed and displeased) with the Hopalong Cassidy novels were that the publisher demanded changes that Louis disagreed with. Louis felt that the publisher w
Cindy
Aug 23, 2013 Cindy rated it really liked it
Pleasant, clean and enjoyable tale of Hopalong Cassidy. Narrated Robert Petkoff. Text 1952 audio 2012.
Chad
Dec 09, 2016 Chad rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: western, audio-cd
I really enjoyed listening to this audio book on my commute to and from work. Louis L'Amour does an outstanding job with the Hopalong Cassidy character and this is one of those feel good westerns that got Hopalong Cassidy into TV. Amazing that Louis L'Amour denied being the author since he wrote it under the name of Tex Burns, but it is solid L'Amour.
Ryan Mishap
Mar 08, 2009 Ryan Mishap rated it did not like it
Shelves: when-i-was-a-lad
Re-released under L'amour's (made up) name, these Hopalong Cassidy books were written under a nom de plume. But, they aren't much better than the usual--and who the hell is named Hopalong anyway?

My dad loves all his books and I read over a hundred while staving off the night terrors when growing up.

It is a strange fact about the old west, Indians, and the genocidal take over of the land now called the United States that fiction writing about them is often taken for truth (see Ward Churchill's F
Aaron Toponce
Mar 28, 2016 Aaron Toponce rated it really liked it
Ah, another great Bill "Hopalong" Cassidy story by Louis L'Amour. I actually found this book better than the previous 3, in that there were a couple situations that were crazy tense, and my heart was beating fast while reading them.

When I look back on this and previous Hopalong books, it's clear that Louis really wanted to get his name known as a great author, even if he was writing under the name of "Tex Burns". He wrote in great character backstories and provided many characters with strong pe
Roger Scherping
Jan 23, 2015 Roger Scherping rated it it was ok
This is the first western I've ever read. All I knew about westerns was Louis L'Amour, and how ironic that at random I picked up one his four Hopalong Cassidy books. This gave me the opportunity to get introduced to two American legends simultaneously.

Obviously he's a legendary author, but westerns aren't for me. I found the book really lacking in suspense. And I really would have enjoyed more vivid descriptions of the scenery and feeling more like I was there in the heat and the dust.
Derek
Jun 13, 2014 Derek rated it it was amazing
This was an excellent book. It was fun, after having listened to a lot of L'Amour books recently, to listen to this book. Not only was it possible to see the progression in his style, but it was fun to read what appears to have been early L'Amour. I had heard the name "Hopalong Cassidy" for years, but never known the source. In many ways, I enjoyed this book more than later novels. I also appreciated the references to Kachina and Sipapu, Hopi words that have been used to identify two arches in N ...more
Alyx Tschirhart
Dec 21, 2015 Alyx Tschirhart rated it it was amazing
Trouble Shooter is truly a great read. The 2nd and 3rd books in Louis L'Amour's Hopalong Cassidy series really left me disappointed. However, the bookends of this series are great reads. If you're not looking to read the entire series, go ahead and just add The Rustlers of West Fork and Trouble Shooter to your reading list.

Also of note, Audible and other L'Amour references has the order of this series different than as seen on Goodreads.

I read according to the other sources:
1. The Rustlers of We
Garren
Mar 09, 2013 Garren rated it did not like it
Shelves: partially-read
I tried. I did! But I can't handle Louis L'Amour's writing style for another chapter. He uses a type of third person omniscient viewpoint that extends into the thoughts of anyone around, and can hop along into another character's head at any time. It comes off as an author's notes on a scene, not as a finished product.
Lance Bonner
Jan 06, 2012 Lance Bonner rated it liked it
Shelves: western
I only gave it a 3 star rating because of the fact of what it is. Not because its a western, I love westerns but its meant to be a fast read. Classic L'Amour style, story formula not to bad. I would recommend it to other western fans or L'Amour lovers.
Peter Charleston
Feb 20, 2014 Peter Charleston rated it really liked it
A nice story about the fictional Hopalong Cassidy written by the late Louis L'Amour. I found this to be a nice return to the western stories often told over the years. Just an enjoyable reading adventure.
Bruce
Aug 03, 2011 Bruce added it
This is the fifth and last book Louis L'Amour wrote as Tex Burns and is the last Hopalong Cassidy novel he wrote. It was one of the better ones (4 of 5 stars), but I'm really looking forward to reading L'Amour as L'Amour. His first one is "Hondo".
Charles
Apr 09, 2010 Charles rated it liked it
Shelves: westerns
I actually thought this was the best of the three Hopalong Cassidy novels by L'Amour that I've read so far. It was fast paced and fairly short. I wouldn't rank it with L'Amour's original stuff but it was pretty good.
Samuel Wells
Aug 30, 2016 Samuel Wells rated it liked it
One of L'Amour's earliest stories - and one of the Hopalong Cassidy books. This isn't one of the master story-teller's polished yarns (of later years), but it reads well. L'Amour fans will enjoy it.
Cws
W L'Am
John
Oct 17, 2011 John rated it liked it
No surprises here. A western with gunfights, chases, cattle round ups, and plenty of dialogue peppered with "I reckon". This was a nice, short diversion.
PWRL
Feb 07, 2012 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-new
O
Shanna_redwind
Jul 26, 2013 Shanna_redwind rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: western
I quite enjoyed this Western mystery. L'Amour's characters are always great, and this book was no exception.
Sandy
Aug 22, 2016 Sandy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
L'amour is really very good at telling a western. Easy and fun!
John
Jun 03, 2008 John rated it it was ok
L'Amour....another western.
Galion Public Library Teens
Aug 02, 2016 Galion Public Library Teens rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
Review by L.M.: "I didn't dislike anything and a fan of Westerns would like it."
Chris
Jul 13, 2008 Chris rated it liked it
I checked out this book at Lakeside. It was a mindless Western with a decent plot line. It was the fourth of a series but written well enough that I caught up on what was happening.
Mike Capanda
Jun 02, 2015 Mike Capanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good book by king louis
Alicia
Oct 19, 2008 Alicia rated it really liked it
It was fantastic! I enjoyed every minute of it.
Jess
Feb 25, 2013 Jess rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is great at being exactly what it is, and doing it well.
Jeremy Trumble
So far this is the best Hopalong Cassidy novel by Tex Burns...
  • Desert Gold
  • The Killing Season (Trail of  the Gunfighter, #2)
  • The Family Jensen (The Family Jensen, #1)
  • The Untamed
  • The Buckskin Line (Texas Rangers, #1)
  • The Handsomest Man in the Country (The Traherns #1)
  • Nevada! (Wagons West, #8)
-Wikipedia
More about Louis L'Amour...

Hopalong Cassidy (4 books)
  • The Rustlers of West Fork