Start by marking “Trouble Shooter” as Want to Read:
Trouble Shooter

Trouble Shooter (Hopalong Cassidy #4)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  544 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Hopalong Cassidy is one of the most enduring and popular heroes in frontier fiction. His legendary exploits in books, movies, and on television have blazed a mythic and unforgettable trail across the American West. Now, in the last of four Hopalong Cassidy novels written by Louis L'Amour, the immortal saddleman rides again—this time into a lonely valley of danger and death ...more
Published March 1st 1995 by Bantam (first published 1951)

To ask other readers questions about Trouble Shooter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trouble Shooter

Robin Hobb
A good solid Western, with Hopalong as the scrubbed good guy from the TV series rather than the red-headed, foul-mouthed cowhand of the original books. And now that I know that, I'll try to find one of the original Hop-Along's (so named because he had a pronounced limp in those tales.)
Stephanie Ricker
I read Troubleshooter and The Riders of High Rock, both Hopalong Cassidy novels, a couple days apart, so I'll just review them together. This is the last of L’Amour for a while, I promise you. In general I prefer L’Amour’s original characters; Hopalong Cassidy was created by another writer, Clarence Mulford, in 1904. He wrote a slew of short stories and 28 novels about Hopalong, and Hollywood made 66 movies featuring the character. L’Amour wrote four Hopalong books under the pen name Tex Burns, ...more
Derek
This was an excellent book. It was fun, after having listened to a lot of L'Amour books recently, to listen to this book. Not only was it possible to see the progression in his style, but it was fun to read what appears to have been early L'Amour. I had heard the name "Hopalong Cassidy" for years, but never known the source. In many ways, I enjoyed this book more than later novels. I also appreciated the references to Kachina and Sipapu, Hopi words that have been used to identify two arches in N ...more
Roger Scherping
This is the first western I've ever read. All I knew about westerns was Louis L'Amour, and how ironic that at random I picked up one his four Hopalong Cassidy books. This gave me the opportunity to get introduced to two American legends simultaneously.

Obviously he's a legendary author, but westerns aren't for me. I found the book really lacking in suspense. And I really would have enjoyed more vivid descriptions of the scenery and feeling more like I was there in the heat and the dust.
Ryan Mishap
Re-released under L'amour's (made up) name, these Hopalong Cassidy books were written under a nom de plume. But, they aren't much better than the usual--and who the hell is named Hopalong anyway?

My dad loves all his books and I read over a hundred while staving off the night terrors when growing up.

It is a strange fact about the old west, Indians, and the genocidal take over of the land now called the United States that fiction writing about them is often taken for truth (see Ward Churchill's F
Peter Charleston
A nice story about the fictional Hopalong Cassidy written by the late Louis L'Amour. I found this to be a nice return to the western stories often told over the years. Just an enjoyable reading adventure.
Mike Capanda
Another good book by king louis
Jeremy Trumble
So far this is the best Hopalong Cassidy novel by Tex Burns...
Garren
I tried. I did! But I can't handle Louis L'Amour's writing style for another chapter. He uses a type of third person omniscient viewpoint that extends into the thoughts of anyone around, and can hop along into another character's head at any time. It comes off as an author's notes on a scene, not as a finished product.
Lance Bonner
I only gave it a 3 star rating because of the fact of what it is. Not because its a western, I love westerns but its meant to be a fast read. Classic L'Amour style, story formula not to bad. I would recommend it to other western fans or L'Amour lovers.
Bruce
Aug 03, 2011 Bruce added it
This is the fifth and last book Louis L'Amour wrote as Tex Burns and is the last Hopalong Cassidy novel he wrote. It was one of the better ones (4 of 5 stars), but I'm really looking forward to reading L'Amour as L'Amour. His first one is "Hondo".
Charles
I actually thought this was the best of the three Hopalong Cassidy novels by L'Amour that I've read so far. It was fast paced and fairly short. I wouldn't rank it with L'Amour's original stuff but it was pretty good.
Chris
I checked out this book at Lakeside. It was a mindless Western with a decent plot line. It was the fourth of a series but written well enough that I caught up on what was happening.
John
No surprises here. A western with gunfights, chases, cattle round ups, and plenty of dialogue peppered with "I reckon". This was a nice, short diversion.
Shanna_redwind
I quite enjoyed this Western mystery. L'Amour's characters are always great, and this book was no exception.
Jess
This book is great at being exactly what it is, and doing it well.
Alicia
It was fantastic! I enjoyed every minute of it.
John
Blair
Blair added it
Jul 28, 2015
Rhonda K
Rhonda K marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2015
Forrie Lowell
Forrie Lowell marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2015
Anthony Lewis
Anthony Lewis marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2015
Rich
Rich marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2015
  • Desert Gold
  • The Dawn of Fury (Trail of the Gunfighter, #1)
  • A Lone Star Christmas (Christmas, #1)
  • The Buckskin Line (Texas Rangers, #1)
  • The Loner (The Loner, #1)
  • The Untamed
  • Idaho! (Wagons West, #13)
-Wikipedia
More about Louis L'Amour...

Hopalong Cassidy (4 books)
  • The Riders of High Rock