Start by marking “The Trail to Seven Pines” as Want to Read:
The Trail to Seven Pines

The Trail to Seven Pines (Hopalong Cassidy #2)

Hopalong rides into a firestorm of violence andbetrayal. On the rain-drenched trail to thelawless town of Seven Pines, Hopalong discovers two men-- one dead, the other badly wounded. Returningwith medical help, Hopalong finds the wounded manhas been shot through the temple. Who wouldcommit such a murder? To find out, Hopalong hires onat Bob Ronson's Rocking R Ranch. There ...more
Published May 1st 1993 by Bantam (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Trail to Seven Pines, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Trail to Seven Pines

Benjamin Thomas
Aug 12, 2016 Benjamin Thomas rated it really liked it
Shelves: western
Hopalong Cassidy, iconic western hero of stories and films, is minding his own business, traveling to the violent town of Seven Pines, when he discovers two men on the trail—One dead and one severely wounded. He leaves to seek medical assistance but upon his return he finds the wounded man has now been shot through the temple. That’s certainly enough for Hoppy to get involved and find out who would murder the man in cold blood. He hires on as a ranch hand at the Rocking R Ranch and proceeds to i ...more
Ed
Jul 17, 2016 Ed rated it really liked it
Shelves: action, western
#2 in the Hopalong Cassidy series by author Louis L'Amour, writing as Tex Burns. L'Amour hid these novel under a pseudonym because his publisher demanded a kinder and gentler Hoppy in the TV and movie William E. Boyd persona rather than as the hard-bitten cowhand in the Clarence E. Mulford tradition whose series of novels L'Amour had been picked to continue.

The Hopalong Cassidy Novels #2 - Hopalong rides into a firestorm of violence and betrayal. On the rain-drenched trail to the lawless town of
Aaron Toponce
Mar 25, 2016 Aaron Toponce rated it really liked it
Again, another great book in the Hopalong Cassidy series. I did struggle with identifying some locations, so I got turned around in the geography a few times, and some of the characters I had a hard time keeping straight, but other than that, I thought this was another great read.

Many characters in this book have their own distinctive personalities, which makes the book a better read than most of Louis L'Amour's bibliography. Further, Hopalong doesn't get the girl (it was part of the agreement b
Charles
Dec 05, 2013 Charles rated it liked it
Shelves: westerns
One of L'Amour's Hopalong Cassidy tales. I'm giving it 3 and a half stars. It was entertaining and certainly held my interest. There was some redundancy here and there but I always looked forward to picking it up again whenever I put it down.
Mike Capanda
Jun 02, 2015 Mike Capanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Louis Lamour was a great story teller. To have picked up where mulford left off and write 4 more stories about Hoppy and the crew from the Bar 20. I love it. Even if he did deny writing them . After u read them U can tell they r his work !
Bryan
Apr 14, 2016 Bryan rated it it was amazing
This was my First Louis L'Amour book. I liked the story and characters. It is a well written Western Classic. I will definitely read more of Mr. L'Amour's books and more Hop a Long Cassidy books.
Gail Morris
May 23, 2016 Gail Morris rated it really liked it
I love Louis's stories, could live with a library full of his books... oh, yeah! I do have a little library of his books :D
James Sorensen
Jan 17, 2013 James Sorensen rated it really liked it
This is book two in L'Amour's Hopalong Cassidy series. Originally written under the name Tex Burns. Hopalong is on the way to Seven Pines when he runs across two men murdered along the trail. In an attempt to fins the killer Hopalong becomes embroiled in a confrontation between Bob Ronson's Rocking R Ranch and the 3 G Ranch led by the Gore Brothers. The Gore's and their thugs are rustling Rocking R cattle and Hopalong is hired by Ronson to stop it. Will Hopalong find who killed the two men, will ...more
D. Norman
Jul 23, 2016 D. Norman rated it really liked it
Another great read.
Alyx Tschirhart
Dec 10, 2015 Alyx Tschirhart rated it really liked it
A good read, but not as great as the first in this series, The Rustlers of West Fork.
Although, I love just about any Louis L'Amour book.
Villager
Jun 02, 2011 Villager rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the 2nd in a series of 4 stories that Louis L'Amour wrote about Hopalong Cassidy. I enjoyed it very much ... read the whole thing in 1 day! Hopalong is a great character and L'Amour paints a great picture of what life was like in the post-Civil War era out near the Rocky Mountains in what we now think of as the 'Wild West'. L'Amour put some great characters in this story of crime, mystery and range wars.

I recommend this book for anyone that enjoys westerns.
Tony Petry
Oct 13, 2011 Tony Petry rated it liked it
Shelves: westerns
This is one of the Hopalong Cassidy books that L'Amour wrote and then spent years denying that he'd written. He apparently didn't want his name associated with them because the publishers altered L'Amour's characterization of Hopalong. It wasn't the writing because these are solidly told stories and quite good. They were only published by the family after L'Amour's death. It was just the characterization I had a problem with.
Richard
Jan 02, 2011 Richard rated it it was ok
Every once in awhile a guy just has to read a book where he doesn’t have to think. This was one of mine for the year. I’ve not read many of L’Amour’s western books, at least his westerns. His LAST OF THE BREED is one of my favorites. I can’t even rate Seven Pines. It automatically gets two stars because it is a book and not TV . It is a pulp western published in the 1950s, predictable but entertaining.

An Odd1
Jan 31, 2011 An Odd1 rated it really liked it
Shelves: action
**** "The Trail to Seven Pines" is the second Hopalong Cassidy western by Louis L'Amour. Somewhat repetitive of the first, orphans being rustled, somewhat different, the youngest daughter is fooled by the smooth villain. I don't like stupid women, but L'Amour has admirable real men.
Ms. Mielke's Class Make sure you post how your sheets tell you to!!!!
On the rain drenched trail to the lawless town of seven pines, I discover two men one dead the other badly hurt. Returning with medical help, I find the wounded man has been shot in the temple. If you want to find out more Read the book. JM
Steelman
Aug 10, 2012 Steelman rated it liked it
Shelves: western, fiction, 2012, l-amour
I found the depth of L'amour's writing in this Hopalong Cassidy story to be a little more thoughtful than that in "The Riders of High Rock." There are traces of the type of writing found in "The Lonesome Gods" in this book.
Emy
Jul 14, 2008 Emy rated it liked it
It was really fun to read a western. My grandpa loves this author. I read it while I was spending a summer overseas and so it made me miss my America! Anyway, kind of dry, but fun to read a good old novel.
John
Jul 19, 2010 John rated it it was ok
Shelves: book-drive, western
It was a pretty standard western. Nothing outstanding. The best part was the after word written by L'Amour's son.

Donated to the Library.
Ryan Mishap
Mar 08, 2009 Ryan Mishap rated it did not like it
Hopalong, Cassidy, just Hopalong out of my view. I read these when I was a kid, so cut me some slack for having read them.

Bruce
Aug 03, 2011 Bruce added it
One of the best of the Hopalong Cassidy novels he wrote under the pen name of Tex Burns. Well worth the read.
Tome Addiction
Jan 26, 2016 Tome Addiction rated it it was ok
Shelves: western
Can't go wrong with a L'Amour novel all are good.
Read1000books
Jul 26, 2010 Read1000books rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: westerns
One of his Hopalong Cassidy novels, and a good one.
Partridge Public
Nov 20, 2007 Partridge Public added it
Recommends it for: L'Am West PB
L'Amour, Louis PB
John
Jun 03, 2008 John rated it it was ok
Another L'Amour western. Nothing special here.
Randy
O
Cws
W L'Am
Andrew Adams
Andrew Adams marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
Joseph Hodges
Joseph Hodges marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2016
  • Desert Gold
  • The Untamed
  • Death Rides a Chestnut Mare (Danny Duggin, #1)
  • The Buckskin Line (Texas Rangers, #1)
  • Dakota! (Wagons West, #11)
  • Law of the Mountain Man (Mountain Man, #5)
  • The Hollow Tree
-Wikipedia
More about Louis L'Amour...

Hopalong Cassidy (4 books)
  • The Rustlers of West Fork