Start by marking “In Sickness and In Death (Broken Vows, #3)” as Want to Read:
In Sickness and In Death (Broken Vows, #3)

In Sickness and In Death (Broken Vows Mystery #3)

When Jolene Parker’s sheriff deputy husband, Ray, brings home a shaggy haired and sulky twelve-year-old boy—their new foster child—Jolene doesn’t know what to think. The impulsive son of a jailed car thief, Danny is a handful whose main talents include picking locks and hotwiring cars.

After Danny takes a brief joyride in a car that he claims belongs to his dad, Jolene and
Published September 8th 2011 by Midnight Ink (first published September 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about In Sickness and In Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Sickness and In Death

Kme_17
Sep 06, 2011 Kme_17 rated it really liked it
I won this book in first reads giveaway. I truly like this book. It is a very entertaining read. It is very easy to be caught up in the characters and the action of the book. Even though this book is a part of a series it is very easy to get caught up with the characters . I loved that Jolene the main protagonist was so real and not perfect but some one you that you root for. The other characters are also interesting and fun to read about. the author will suck you into this book and it will be h ...more
Kathy Davie
Dec 12, 2011 Kathy Davie rated it liked it
Third in the Broken Vows mystery series revolving around Jolene Asdale Parker, the owner of a business specializing in high-end luxury autos in Wachobe, New York in the Finger Lakes district.

My Take
I must give Bork credit for her imagination! She keeps things hopping with the foster son, Erica's antics, and the farm twins with all their complications. And I would enjoy it if Jolene weren't such an ass. She's whiny and stupid. As the wife of a cop and with at least two previous experiences wit
Kathy
Aug 17, 2011 Kathy rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-series
Another fun read by Lisa Bork. "In Sickness and in Death" brings us back to the Finger Lake region of New York. Bork's description of the area makes the reader want to visit and experience the charm of the area - just don't try to find featured character Jolene Parker if you don't want to be in the midst of another murder investigation, that is.

Just as Jolene is trying to put herself back together after being denied the opportunity to adopt baby Noelle, her husband brings home a 12-year-old boy
Denise Zendel
Mar 30, 2014 Denise Zendel rated it it was amazing
Jolene Parker's deputy sheriff husband brings home a surly 12-year-old foster child (without asking Jolene). Jolene is severely depressed from a loss at the end of book 2 (no spoilers here) and Ray thinks she needs somebody to love. Maybe he does too.

The boy takes a joyride in a stolen car and in sorting that mess out, they find jewelry-wearing arm packed in ice in a cooler in the trunk. While Jolene is solving the murder, she has to cope with her crazy sister's elopement and repairing relations
Ann
Jun 27, 2014 Ann rated it liked it
Jolene Parker and her husband Ray have reconciled to the fact that they cannot have children of their own. They have lost the baby that they tried to adopt when its birth mother decided she wanted her back. Ray brings home Danny, a twelve year old boy whose father is in jail for car theft and possibly the murder of a woman. Jolene is torn between trying to help Danny and staying aloof because she knows she will have to stay goodbye to him and can't stand the loss. This was an okay mystery. It ha ...more
Lil Gluckstern
Sep 08, 2011 Lil Gluckstern rated it it was amazing
I received this book in the mail and finished it two days later. I found myself totally immersed in the characters, and the story, but what stands out for me are the relationships. Ms. Bork does not shy away from difficult subjects, or the difficulties that real people have. Jolene is so human and so sympathetically written, that I can just see her in her dealership, frantically trying to sell a car. If you enjoy small town events, with not so small town events, a good plot, and a good deal of h ...more
Susan
Oct 19, 2011 Susan rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-new-york
Jolene is coping with depression and unaware that her sister Erica is off her meds again. The last thing she needs is a rebellious pre-teen foster child, but that's what her husband, deputy Ray, brings home just before Thanksgiving. Danny's father is in jail for auto theft, and someone has to look after the boy. Fortunately for car-crazed Danny, Jolene runs a shop that sells classic sports cars. But when a woman's severed arm is found in the trunk of a car, Danny's father becomes a suspect.
Beth
Sep 08, 2011 Beth rated it really liked it
Good story telling. Writing flows, No chokes or awkward segue's and well fleshed out characters.

I enjoyed that she doesn't have trouble writing in a married couple. (people who can't let their characters get married and continue on with their lives in writing annoy the heck out of me) I do think that we have different definitions of the word geek, OR there are some really nice things about EMB we just don't know yet.

MissBHavens, geek at large
Mary
Sep 23, 2011 Mary rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-read-2011
This book was close to home in many ways. Chiefly, it explores the relationships of an enabler who is realizing that she needs kindness, attention, and strokes just as much as those around her. The author does a good job in her treatment of the mentally ill and people who have identity problems no matter what those problems might entail.
Rexanna Ipock-Brown
Aug 09, 2011 Rexanna Ipock-Brown rated it really liked it
I think this one was an improvement over the second in the series and I enjoyed it as much as I did the first book. I feel like the characters have grown and we get glimpses into their inner selves more in this book. I also got caught up in who had murdered who and when. I liked the way it kept me guessing. Good characters, good story, and a good book to read.
Phillis
Aug 10, 2011 Phillis rated it really liked it
A nice fast read. Nothing too complicated to have to think about between readings.The 12 year old wasn't an out of control brat. He's what Jolene needed. Now se wants to find out why the boy's father is in jail and maybe he's innocent. There's this arm found in an ice chest of a car the dad was driving.
Fanficfan44
Jun 14, 2013 Fanficfan44 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-mystery
Well done mystery that dealt with some sensitive issues - foster care, adoption, mental health, depression, sexual orientation and gender. The author handles the topics well and they fell like an integrated, "normal", part of the story and not something you are being lectured about or beaten over the head with a message.
Barbara
Jun 02, 2012 Barbara rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
I have read all 3 of the Broken Vows books and loved each one. I never know who is guilty until the very end of the book. These books have been fun to read, and I like a book that keeps me on the edge of my seat.
Sara Abdulkarim
Feb 18, 2012 Sara Abdulkarim rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: yes!
I love this book!! Its been a long time since I read a mystery but this one def captivated me...read it in one day :) Unfortunately, this is the 3rd of the series and I haven't read the first two...wondering if their just as good?
Joan  2
Oct 03, 2011 Joan 2 rated it really liked it
This cozy series continues with the main character and her husband involved with some more very interesting characters. One of them is a 12 year old foster child. I do like the way the couple keeps on working on understanding each other. Everything is not perfect, but certainly cozy.
Mosade Edwards
Jul 20, 2015 Mosade Edwards rated it really liked it
I didn't like the story line as much as the previous two books. Also the mystery plot in this third book of the series seemed to get lost in the background with the character development and other story lines. Overall a good read but somewhat lacking in comparison to the Others in the series.
Danni
Apr 23, 2012 Danni rated it really liked it
I liked this series. I especially liked reading about the fancy cars.
Tina Axell
Mar 10, 2013 Tina Axell rated it it was amazing
I love this series, can't wait to read the next one. The characters have so much depth, those who are recurring feel like friends or family.
Brianne
Aug 31, 2011 Brianne rated it really liked it
I won this book in a first reads giveaway. This was a great read. The writing flowed and I enjoyed every word and character. I will definitely be reading more from this series and author!
Wanda Shuster
Jun 29, 2011 Wanda Shuster rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
I really liked the book! I'm enjoying the progression of growth and depth of the main characters. I wonder how Erica and Maury will develop...
Marge
Sep 09, 2011 Marge rated it really liked it
Excellent as always, great family dynamics along with the mystery
Nykell
Mar 04, 2015 Nykell rated it really liked it
It's been a while since I had read a mystery but it was very good! I did not see it coming!
Pat
Aug 23, 2011 Pat rated it it was amazing
Lisa Bork keeps getting better and better. I enjoyed this book much more that the first two in this series. It was a fun read. The characters seem to be growing, too.
Tina Arnette
May 03, 2011 Tina Arnette rated it it was amazing
I loved this story. If you can keep me turning the pages after the first chapter you have me. I loved it.
Cynthia Rielley
Jun 04, 2012 Cynthia Rielley rated it really liked it
and they go faster and faster. These can be read in a few hours and are such fun. Love the characters. Just bugged because I now have to wait for the next book. sigh
Lori Mitchell Myers
Lori Mitchell Myers rated it it was amazing
Aug 21, 2011
Jeanette Hernandez
Jeanette Hernandez rated it it was amazing
Aug 31, 2014
Toni
Toni rated it really liked it
Sep 17, 2011
Shannon
Shannon rated it really liked it
Aug 10, 2011
Ajbowers11
Ajbowers11 rated it liked it
Dec 17, 2011
« previous 1 3 next »
  • The Heirloom Murders (A Chloe Ellefson Mystery #2)
  • Ready, Scrap, Shoot (Kiki Lowenstein Scrap-n-Craft Mystery, #6)
  • West of Western (Chicago Stories, #1)
  • By Blood Possessed (Pat Montella, #1)
  • A Mammoth Murder (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #13)
  • Wicked Eddies (An RM Outdoor Adventures Mystery #2)
  • The Drop Edge of Yonder (Alafair Tucker, #3)
  • Pickle in the Middle Murder (A Shay O'Hanlon Caper, #3)
  • A Grand Murder (Catherine O'Brien Mystery #1)
  • What Are You Wearing to Die? (Thoroughly Southern, #10)
  • February Fever
  • Popped Off (Stay At Home Dad Mysteries #2)
  • Dolled Up for Murder (Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery, #7)
  • Reflecting the Sky (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith, #7)
  • Murder at the Azalea Festival (Magnolia Mysteries, #3)
  • Allergic to Death (A Gourmet De-Lite Mystery, #1)
Lisa Bork is the author of seven contemporary novels. Her most recent release is Missed. Lisa is also the author of Counting on You and Discovering Nowhere as well as the Broken Vows mystery series. Her debut novel, For Better, For Murder, was a 2009 Agatha Award finalist for Best First Novel. The second book in the series, For Richer, For Danger, was released in September 2010 and In Sickness and ...more
More about Lisa Bork...

Broken Vows Mystery (4 books)
  • For Better, for Murder
  • For Richer, for Danger
  • To Love and to Perish (Broken Vows, #4)