Start by marking “Mother Goose” as Want to Read:
Mother Goose

Mother Goose

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  85 ratings  ·  18 reviews
The noted artist illustrates her own selection of seventy-six traditional nursery rhymes.
Published March 12th 1980 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 1944)

To ask other readers questions about Mother Goose, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mother Goose

Madeline by Ludwig BemelmansThe Stinky Cheese Man by Jon ScieszkaBlueberries for Sal by Robert McCloskeyDon't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! by Mo WillemsStone Soup by Marcia Brown
Caldecott Honor Books
43rd out of 238 books — 135 voters
The Lion and the Mouse by Jerry PinkneyWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakFlotsam by David WiesnerMadeline by Ludwig BemelmansMake Way for Ducklings by Robert McCloskey
List for #nerdcott
225th out of 325 books — 33 voters

More lists with this book...

Beverly
This small book of English Mother Goose rhymes included many with which I was very familiar, and it also had many that were completely new to me. So, a very good mixture of the two. Except for a couple of rhymes on double-page spreads, all of the rhymes are printed on one page with an illustration to accompany it. Black and white drawings alternate with colorful ink and watercolor paintings. All of the illustrations depict people from times long past: Victorian times and earlier; and most are se...more
Steven Reid
1. Genre: Mother Goose
2. This book contains a collection of Mother Goose rhymes with, each of which has an illustration to go along with it.
3a. Illustrations
3b. Overall, the illustrations are very good at capturing the general idea of whichever Mother Goose rhyme it belongs to. The illustrations are placed as the main centerpiece of each page, with the rhyme written below. This is allows for the illustrations to be seen first, and then the rhyme is read. There are a few illustrations, however, t...more
Nathan
Read to James
Quite a few familiar, but an awful lot I'd never heard before.
Paul
I've hit my limit with Mother Goose and nursery rhymes, so I was in a hurry to get through this volume. Most of the rhymes were familiar, but at least there were a few new ones.
Doctor Foster went to Glo'ster
In a shower of rain.
He stepped in a puddle,
Up to his middle,
And never went there again.
The illustrations are consistently good if a bit cute, but some have real sparkle. Worth the read, but I'm glad I'm past it now - probably wouldn't recommend it or come back for another read. 2.6 stars.
Crystal
Cute, simple pictures. I wonder if this is early work by Tudor? Still cute. Just not as complex as the Corgiville books, for example. I was surprised by how much of the art was in black and white. All the pictures were still charmingly old fashioned, which suits many of the little poems. I noticed that several of the poems had wording different from what I'd heard before, but nothing the dramatically affected the meaning of them. just a few different words or lines here and there. Something cute...more
Lorna
1945 Caldecott Honor

Favorite illustration: There Was an Old woman Who Lived in a Shoe.

Kid-appeal today: These nursery rhymes were much more familiar to me and my 7yo, so it was more enjoyable to read than the 1938 Caldecott Honor, Four and Twenty Blackbirds. The format of the book we have is very small (5" x 5") so the resulting illustrations are very tiny, but then I'm probably spoiled by the delightful Richard Scarry Mother Goose I grew up with!
Jiali Yu
Interesting, poetic. I have learned several songs in this book in music class this semester. The illustrations are adorable, love it so much!
Rachel
This book was a collection of 77 Mother Goose rhymes, and included a lot of strange ones that everyone has heard of. I loved the illustrations, with a few exceptions where they were a little unintentionally creepy (like the one for See Saw Margery Daw on page 17, or the one for Bonny Lass, Pretty Lass, Wilt Thou Be Mine on page 37). The book won a 1945 Caldecott Honor award. Recommended for ages 3-6, 3 stars.
Snorkle
This book had an assortment of rhymes. Some I've known since I was a child, some I had never heard of and some that were just plain silly. The pictures were sweet and I thought that the overall feel of this book was quite delightful. I enjoyed this book and would recommend it.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2008...
Mary
I have always loved Tasha Tudor's illustrations - we had a Christmas book that she illustrated in our house as I was growing up. But I seem to remember a penchant for corgis? Despite the fact that in this book I found NO CORGIS, I still thought it was lovely. There were some rhymes I'd never heard before, and lots of old familiar ones (with slight variations).
Molly
This is a collection of Mother Goose rhymes. Some I was familiar with, others I had never heard before. They are accompanied by Tudor's nice illustrations. It was interesting to see how some of the rhymes were different from how I learned them, but as is often the case with folklore, they are adapted and changed.
Ed
Not my favorite Tasha Tudor book. I usually love her illustrations, especially the flowery borders from some of her other books, which she didn't really use in Mother Goose. Not a bad book, just not my favorite.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Caldecott Honor 1945 - Reading this makes me wonder how Mother Goose Nursery Rhymes were put together in a collection? Some of these are really strange.
Katie
Very similar to the other Mother Goose books I've read for this Caldecott project. The illustrations were quite good and went with the text nicely.
Amanda
Old fashioned illustrations some color some b/w. 77 verses
Mckinley
Just as good as ever
Caldecott honor
Becky B
Becky B marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Pebbles
Pebbles marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Sam
Sam marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Tasha Tudor was an American illustrator and author of children's books.
More about Tasha Tudor...
1 Is One The Private World of Tasha Tudor A Time to Keep: Time to Keep A is for Annabelle Corgiville Fair