Start by marking “Verwandlung (Das Buch der Schatten, #1)” as Want to Read:
Verwandlung (Das Buch der Schatten, #1)

Verwandlung (Sweep #1)

4.02  ·  Rating Details ·  19,251 Ratings  ·  1,056 Reviews
Eine faszinierende Saga über Liebe, Gefahr und Magie

Ich bin Morgan. Ich bin kein normales sechzehnjähriges Mädchen. Ich bin eine Hexe. Die sechzehnjährige Morgan Rowlands ist ein ganz normaler Teenager – bis Cal in ihr Leben tritt. Der atemberaubend attraktive Junge scheint sich ausgerechnet für Morgan zu interessieren, die bisher im Schatten ihrer schönen Freundin Bree st
Published April 14th 2011 by cbt (first published January 29th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Verwandlung, please sign up.

Doris N No, not scary but the books have some sexually suggestive themes. Also, the descriptions (imagery and emotions) of some of the tribulations she goes…moreNo, not scary but the books have some sexually suggestive themes. Also, the descriptions (imagery and emotions) of some of the tribulations she goes through might be a little intense/mature for 12 year old. (less)

Wendy Darling
This review is really about the whole Sweep series, but I'm putting it with Book One because that's where people will go to find out whether all of them are worth reading. I started out really enjoying the series, then HATED WITH A PASSION what seemed to be going on, and then am left now feeling really sad and cheated. I've never started out liking a series and then turned around and felt so angry and disappointed and sad after it ended.

Firstly, I have to say that I really enjoyed books 1 - 6.
This was an okay story about teenage witches, and it reminded me a bit of The Secret Circle. I was shocked at the way Morgan’s best friend Bree treated her, and the love triangle was fairly predictable. It was an okay story overall though, which left us with a bit of a cliff-hanger.

6.5 out of 10
Cher
3 stars - It was good.

The writing is only so-so, average at best with shallow cardboard characters. However, the plot moves along nicely and is engaging enough that I am interested in seeing what happens next. It does seem to be well researched and it is interesting to see many of the myths about Wicca confronted.
-------------------------------------------
First Sentence: Years from now I’ll look back and remember today as the day I met him.
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Michaela Pallante aka "Mickey" for TeensReadToo.com

Morgan Rowlands is a normal teenage girl. She gets good grades, hangs out with her friends, and goes to church with her family on Sundays. Nothing out of the ordinary ever happens to her... until she meets Cal Blaire.

Cal is the new cute senior who has just transferred to Widow's Vale High. His looks aren't the only thing that sets him apart from other boys. He's Wiccan, a different religion than Morgan and one that she has never com
Mindy
Mar 07, 2011 Mindy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Tiffany Duke
Shelves: 2011
Wow! What can I say without completely ruining this book?

In previous reviews; I have complained about books with way too much page filler but not this book! It is a small, quick, easy and entertaining read!

Unlike a lot of the other Urban Fantasy books I have been reading lately, this book seemed really lifelike! I could see how this would make someone curious about Wicca. I don't believe in "Wicca" or White Magic but I could see how this book could make someone really want to study into it.

Morga
April
Feb 17, 2008 April rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kimi
Jan 24, 2011 Kimi rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I don't get it. This book has no actual plot or major conflict to speak of, the characters are unconvincing and inconsistent, there's no action, no suspense, no romance, and very little logic or explanation about how anything works (like the MC suddenly waking up clairvoyant). There's also quite a bit of repetitive exposition and, overall, the whole thing is poorly executed.

The very little that could be foreshadowed is blatantly obvious from the start and will probably somehow take several book
Scribblegirl
Scale of 1-10: 4
Pros: Tiernan's writing does not suck, and she might be able to get decent mileage out of her story, as the books are short and quick reads.
Cons: Struck me as a Harry Potter retread with an older, female heroine.

Synopsis: Morgan Rowlands finds out she's got a talent for witchcraft after superhot, supernatural Cal Blaire moves to her small, upstate NY town and starts slingin' the magic mojo around...not that anyone seems to notice or think it's weird.

My take: In a nutshell? Tiern
whenlovespeaks
Sep 10, 2016 whenlovespeaks rated it liked it
3,5 ⭐ - Das Buch befasst sich mit dem Thema 'Wicca' und ich finde dieses Hexenthema wirklich sehr spannend und interessant. Leider wurde es mir etwas zu unrealistisch und suspekt, sonst hätte ich sicherlich noch einen Stern mehr gegeben. Dennoch ließ sich das Buch super schnell und flüssig lesen und ich habe das Gefühl, dass noch ganz viel Luft nach oben ist - ich werde also Band 2 auf jeden Fall lesen und hoffe, dass mich dieser Band noch etwas mehr begeistern kann. ...more
Abriana
Sep 09, 2015 Abriana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Why did I love this???

Objectively this book is so so bad. Insta-love, very juvenile writing, crappy character development, infinite etc. But, I. JUST. COULDN'T. STOP.
Becky (Blogs of a Bookaholic)
Apr 05, 2012 Becky (Blogs of a Bookaholic) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of coming of age stories with a touch of magic.
description
This review was originally published on Blogs of a Bookaholic.

A fantastic first book full of magic, mystery and discovery.
This is around the 4/5 time I've read this book now and it never disappoints! I first discovered this series aged 14, and in a weird way, I almost feel like the books chose me. They came to me in a point in my life where I really needed them, and held for me some key advice and life lessons that helped me deal with several big changes going on at that time. These books are i
4/5
I really liked this book, I love stories about witches so I am biased though haha. The only downside to it was that it was pretty short and involved quite a bit of world building but I love the premise and romance and I am so hooked
Sanne
Jul 14, 2016 Sanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Finished yaaay! Cant wait to start book 2
ஐ฿υκєτஐ
Şu çember olayları sıktı biraz ama başlangıç için iyi gibi.
Chibineko
Oct 29, 2010 Chibineko rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First off, let me say that if you are looking for a true to life portrayal of the Wiccan faith, look elsewhere. Yes, the author has taken great pains to stay as close to the actual practice as possible, but she still takes several liberties in order to make for a good story. Even so, this is one of the very few mainstream series I've read that actually gets the main gist of the Pagan religion.

Now for the story. The story focuses around Morgan, a somewhat normal girl. When the cute new boy in sc
Kaisa
Dec 12, 2011 Kaisa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Nononononono T_T I wanted this book to be good. But then again, what was I thinking? If a book is 160 pages long.. and also a part of a series with three gazillion other books... it just can't be good.

I don't know why, but recently I've been interested in wicca. It's probably cuz I've been re-watching Charmed. The TV show.
Anyway, that's why I bought the first three books in this series. I wanted to read about witches.

This book is about a bunch of teens who get involved with a wiccan witch dude
Loren
Oct 26, 2007 Loren rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teenagers
A wonderful start to 'Sweep'/'Wicca'. *Spoilers books 1-4*

Tiernan has an incredible talent for creating uniquely vivid characters. Normally I shy away from books written in the 1st person, but this was pleasantly different.

The vulnerable nature of the main character means we can begin to empathise with her unusually quickly. This also blinds us to simple truths such as Hunter and Sky's true natures. We stand united with Morgan against them and we too feel crushed at Cal's betrayal.

The ending i
Say-Boo!!!!!
Feb 08, 2016 Say-Boo!!!!! rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The writing is solid and the story is interesting. I am not a fan of clogs so I try to ignore the authors descriptions of the heroines attire. I subtracted one star for that.
Henri Neto
Depois de um longo e terrível inverno, finalmente voltei a ler um romance sobrenatural. Se eu disser que não estava sentido falta de me debruçar sobre uma história paranormal - mesmo aquelas mais simples, estaria mentindo epicamente. Pois sim, eu estava louco para voltar a ler alguma aventura com um toque de mistério e um pé no outro mundo. Infelizmente, hoje em dia, o foco do mercado literário jovem são as distopias ou os romances Novo Adulto - e isto não quer dizer que eu não gosto deles, muit ...more
Greta is Erikasbuddy
May 24, 2011 Greta is Erikasbuddy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Greta is Erikasbuddy by: Sunny
Shelves: sunny-says
Let me start off by saying that I admit to being a very picky reader. I don't do well with school-settings and when it comes to Magick it's usually very very lame.

And when my bud told me that I should read the SWEEP Series I must admit that I was afraid. What do I do if I don't like it? I mean... it's at this school and told from the pov of a girl who goes to a school and is learninging about Wicca from a new boy in town.

Ummmm.... Is this going to make me roll my eyes?

Well, I took the plunge and
Bekah AwesomeBookNut
Original Review found at: www.awesomebooknuts.blogspot.com

Okay, I like a good witch story as much as the next guy but this...This just was a disappointment. I don't mind short stories but there was no reason for this to have 4 or 5 books in the series. The writing seemed a bit lazy as there was no real descriptions, just enough to fill in the blanks and a bit of back ground just on Morgan and Cals side not really in any of the other characters.

Morgan is a regular girl and doesn't know she has sp
Wren [t(he)y]
May 20, 2013 Wren [t(he)y] rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who want an awesome, non-cliche teen book
When Morgan meets Cal, everything changes. Despite her close-minded Catholic upbringing, she finds herself drawn to the fascinating world of Wicca, and soon realizes that she has a gift....

I LOVED this book! I felt like Morgan and I both had so much in common; a Catholic upbringing, and a Wiccan transformation. I kept rooting for her to overcome her parents and their judgement, and to choose the right path!

The characters were quite diverse; some ultra conservative Christians balanced by relaxed
Stefanie
Jun 01, 2011 Stefanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Teenagers and Adults, who are young at heart!
This book was great! I really enjoyed it! Even though nothing spectacular happens in the first book (beside Morgans "best friend" Bree behaving like a slut and a bitch) there was no action, no finale. But this was ok. The first book was like an Intro for me, a long Prolog or so, the basic to what will come in the other books, I guess.
You get to know some stuff about Wicca, which is really nice to read and very interesting, if youre into stuff like that. It describes also the struggles that a pe
Dee
Nov 14, 2010 Dee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall: The Sweep series by Cate is a light read, yet still really interesting. I felt like this was the sorbet course, a hiatus, amidst my reading of George RR Martin's much weightier tomes. Every novel covers Magick, young love and fitting in (or not!).

However, a novel in the Sweep series is so short that it is almost a chapter in the lives of the characters.
Plus: The Wiccan research is pretty intense, and the books give an authentic feel to being in a coven and the troubles/challenges a youn
May 06, 2011 Jennifer rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: para-witches
The Good: I really enjoyed how the writing was inclusive and accepting of everything, without having to make a big deal about anything. Wiccan religion, lesbian aunt, teen sexuality, whatever. All part of the story, not issues that have to be addressed and dealt with. Beyond the magick themes of the book, the mundane high school life felt accurately portrayed. It wasn't washed-clean of normal teen activities, nor overly hyped to make things more scandalous than in reality.

The Bad: Bree, the bes
Kristine
Mar 08, 2010 Kristine rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I heard about this book from a friend, and as soon as i heard witches, i ran to Barnes to get it. The book is very small for starters, and the text tends to be annoying, but keep in mind that there are a total of 10 books in the series. However, not even that could save it. The dialogue was extremely annoying if your a young adult and not a tween. Though it doesn't make sense since the characters in the book are supposed to be young adults. The storyline was somewhat interesting, but annoying an ...more
Tara Day
Jul 14, 2012 Tara Day rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read this series several times now and enjoy it every time. I love how Morgan is a normal girl - not gorgeous, not social, not a mean girl. It's easier to relate to her since most of her readers are your "average" girls as well. It's also easier to get into because the Cate Tiernan describes Wicca in a correct, positive way while still remaining true to fiction.

Reading it takes no time at all, but it sucks you in quickly. The details are short and simple while still providing you with visu
Honour
This book felt less like a fantasy story and more like an intro to Wicca. Morgan takes you through her experience of meeting a practicing witch and her struggle with deciding whether to practice herself. As you can imagine, all sorts of problems present themselves.

Number one complaint- It's too short! If you like a quick read, fine but if not I would suggest going for the bundled Sweep Volume 1 (books 1-3)? I can't stand paying $5-$6 on a book this size when you can get 3 of them for $7-$8. Even
Katrina
May 19, 2015 Katrina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can't decide if I want to give this 4 or 5 stars, so I think I'm just sticking it with a 4 for now. I really liked this book. For some reason I haven't read many books that focus on witches and I really like how it's represented here. This was a quick read and I really enjoyed the characters. I think more could ahve happened, but I wasn't expecting too much considering this is the first of 15 books. I think this was a really good beginning to the series and I think I'm going to really enjoy th ...more
Jackie "the Librarian"
Dec 19, 2007 Jackie "the Librarian" rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teens 13 and up
Shelves: youngadult, horror, magic
Morgan is incredibly attracted to Cal, a new senior at her school, but so is her friend Bree. Cal invites both of them to what ends up being a Wicca ritual. Morgan is fascinated by Wicca, and some weird psychic events that happened to her after that night. But overshadowing her enthusiasm is a rivalry developing between her and Bree.
Very readable, with a strong plot. I wish the end hadn't been as abrupt - it's a total cliff-hanger. Not for those who object to the occult and magic, or for sexual
YA Buddy Readers'...: Book of Shadows (Sweep #1) by Cate Tiernan - Starting July 5th 2015 17 16 Jul 05, 2015 06:08PM
Bizarre 29 106 Mar 23, 2014 05:22PM
Book Discussions ...: * Book of Shadows 1 6 Mar 12, 2013 02:16PM
  • The Challenge Box (Circle of Three, #14)
  • Witches' Night of Fear
  • Witch Ball (The Seer, #3)
  • Goddess of the Night (Daughters of the Moon, #1)
  • White Is for Magic (Blue is for Nightmares, #2)
  • Revelations (Fingerprints, #6)
191456
"was born in New Orleans, LA, in 1961. New Orleans is one of the most interesting American cities, and it has an incredibly rich and exotic culture that had a profound influence on me. Kids in other cities have lemonade stands; we sold voodoo gris-gris and made wax dolls in the likenesses of our enemies. It's a very beautiful city, and the constant heat and humidity make gardens grow out of contro ...more
More about Cate Tiernan...

Sweep (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • The Coven (Sweep, #2)
  • Blood Witch (Sweep, #3)
  • Dark Magick (Sweep, #4)
  • Awakening (Sweep, #5)
  • Spellbound (Sweep, #6)
  • The Calling (Sweep, #7)
  • Changeling (Sweep, #8)
  • Strife (Sweep, #9)
  • Seeker (Sweep, #10)
  • Origins (Sweep, #11)

“Anytime you feel love for anything, be it stone, tree, lover, or child, you are touched by the Goddess's magick...” 92 likes
“In fairy tales there's always one person who is made for one other, and they find each other and live happily ever after. Cal was my person. I couldn't imagine anyone more perfect. Yet what kind of sick fairy tale would it be if he was the one made exactly right for me and I wasn't right for him?” 22 likes