Start by marking “West of Dodge: Stories” as Want to Read:
West of Dodge: Stories

West of Dodge: Stories

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  364 ratings  ·  16 reviews
WHERE THE REAL FRONTIER BEGINS

A young cowpuncher stakes a claim that can only be sealed with fists and a .44 Colt. . . . A gunfighter, tired of violence, finds himself pushed down a trail of bloody revenge. . . . From purple sage to gambler’s gold, from a señorita’s tempting smile to a splash of blood in the dust, here are stories with a distinctive L’Amour twist. A quie
Published March 31st 1997 by Bantam (first published May 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about West of Dodge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about West of Dodge

Ann
This is a collection of short stories that Beau L'Amour discovered after his father's death. He surmised that they were written early in Louis' writing career and never published. This edition has an introduction by Beau telling of his discoveries searching his father's papers. Louis was a very interesting man. His life was much like Jack London's but perhaps ever more adventurous. I've read very little of L'Amour's work and I suspect that is a serious oversight. He will now be on my to read lis ...more
Ryan Mishap
My dad loves all his books and I read over a hundred while staving off the night terrors when growing up.

It is a strange fact about the old west, Indians, and the genocidal take over of the land now called the United States that fiction writing about them is often taken for truth (see Ward Churchill's Fantasies of the Master Race). The back of almost every L'amour novel lauds his knowledge of "how it really was" and the fact that he could've been one of the tough, honorable, lonely fighting men
Eric
The Lonesome Gods was the first Louis L'Amour book I read. I was still in grade school at the time, maybe sixth or seventh grade, and my grandmother loaned it to me. The book opened an exciting new world, the world of gunfighters and cowboys, cattle drives and boom towns, dazzling senoritas and cattle barons.

The world of Louis L'Amour.

Since then, I've read just about every book he wrote. My favorite books were about the Sacketts, such as The Daybreakers and Lonely on the Mountain. L'Amour died o
Sandy
Always thought L.L. was rather like drugstore romances... cheap and not worth reading, but here I am on the road and it's been iPhone of only a few English language books so, with such limited choices... I was happily surprised and enjoyed it!
Fredrick Danysh
A collection of L'Amour's short stories published years after his death. The stories reflect the struggle between good and evil. Like the rest of his work, the stories do not contain profanity or graphic sex.
Charles
This is a collection of short stories published well after L'Amour's death. Most are fairly slight but they are good stories and have good hearts to them. I enjoyed this quite a lot.
Utah.J.
i loved this collection of short stories, these are some of my favorites so far, i liked "home is the hunter" and "marshal of canyon gap" the best but they were all good.
Anne
I'm not much of a western fan, but these stories were enjoyable, and all quite different.
Jason
I enjoyed several of the stories in this volume, and none of them were bad.
RS Fuster
I'm never disappointed with anything L'Amore has written.
Another plane ride, another Louis L'Amour book.
Cecelia
A
Cws
W L'Am
Andy
Andy marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
Robert Scrivner
Robert Scrivner marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2014
Jimmie
Jimmie marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2014
Alayna
Alayna marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2014
  • Highwaymen: Robbers and Rogues
  • Kull (The Robert E. Howard Library, Vol II)
  • Shield
  • The Mammoth Book of Pirates: Over 25 True Tales of Devilry and Daring by the Most Infamous Pirates of All Time
  • In Paul Klee's Enchanted Garden
  • The Man of the Forest
  • Sword and Sorceress XIII
  • 100 Malicious Little Mysteries
  • Oregon! (Wagons West, #4)
  • The Dawn of Fury (Trail of the Gunfighter, #1)
  • 100 Hair-Raising Little Horror Stories
  • Mad Amos
  • Destry Rides Again
  • Quiet Town (Floating Outfit, #8)
-Wikipedia
More about Louis L'Amour...
Last of the Breed The Walking Drum Hondo Sackett's Land (The Sacketts, #1) The Lonesome Gods