Start by marking “West of Dodge: Stories” as Want to Read:
West of Dodge: Stories

West of Dodge: Stories

WHERE THE REAL FRONTIER BEGINS

A young cowpuncher stakes a claim that can only be sealed with fists and a .44 Colt. . . . A gunfighter, tired of violence, finds himself pushed down a trail of bloody revenge. . . . From purple sage to gambler’s gold, from a señorita’s tempting smile to a splash of blood in the dust, here are stories with a distinctive L’Amour twist. A qui
Published March 31st 1997 by Bantam (first published May 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about West of Dodge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about West of Dodge

Ryan Mishap
Mar 08, 2009 Ryan Mishap rated it did not like it
Shelves: when-i-was-a-lad
My dad loves all his books and I read over a hundred while staving off the night terrors when growing up.

It is a strange fact about the old west, Indians, and the genocidal take over of the land now called the United States that fiction writing about them is often taken for truth (see Ward Churchill's Fantasies of the Master Race). The back of almost every L'amour novel lauds his knowledge of "how it really was" and the fact that he could've been one of the tough, honorable, lonely fighting men
Eric
The Lonesome Gods was the first Louis L'Amour book I read. I was still in grade school at the time, maybe sixth or seventh grade, and my grandmother loaned it to me. The book opened an exciting new world, the world of gunfighters and cowboys, cattle drives and boom towns, dazzling senoritas and cattle barons.

The world of Louis L'Amour.

Since then, I've read just about every book he wrote. My favorite books were about the Sacketts, such as The Daybreakers and Lonely on the Mountain. L'Amour died o
Ed
May 15, 2016 Ed rated it really liked it
Short Story Collection published posthumously. This collection includes: Beyond the Chaparral • A Husband for Janey • West of Dodge • The Passing of Rope Nose • To Make a Stand • That Man From the Bitter Sands • Let the Cards Decide • Riches Beyond Dream • West of Dry Creek • Marshal of Canyon Gap • Home is the Hunter • Rain on the Halfmoon • Stage to Willowspring • To Hang Me High
Cameron
Oct 02, 2015 Cameron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I really like his short stories. not a big fan of his westerns but his modern day stories and his short stories are are great. i highly recomend any of his short story collections (even a western short). the man knows how to enter and leave a short story, very good writting.
Fredrick Danysh
Jul 19, 2011 Fredrick Danysh rated it really liked it
A collection of L'Amour's short stories published years after his death. The stories reflect the struggle between good and evil. Like the rest of his work, the stories do not contain profanity or graphic sex.
Sandy
Dec 07, 2013 Sandy rated it liked it
Always thought L.L. was rather like drugstore romances... cheap and not worth reading, but here I am on the road and it's been iPhone of only a few English language books so, with such limited choices... I was happily surprised and enjoyed it!
PWRL
W L'Am
Charles
Jun 06, 2009 Charles rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: westerns
This is a collection of short stories published well after L'Amour's death. Most are fairly slight but they are good stories and have good hearts to them. I enjoyed this quite a lot.
Nov 28, 2011 Laura rated it really liked it
Another plane ride, another Louis L'Amour book.
Louise
Jul 12, 2016 Louise rated it it was amazing
Love this writer, he really can make you see the people he tells about
Ron
Dec 05, 2014 Ron rated it it was amazing
You can't go wrong reading these unforgettable short stories.
Roxanne
Nov 05, 2015 Roxanne rated it really liked it
His son found these papers after his fathers death and published them. It is a collection of short stories about the West and I always loved everything LL wrote.
Jason
Aug 03, 2013 Jason rated it liked it
Shelves: western
I enjoyed several of the stories in this volume, and none of them were bad.
RS Fuster
Jun 12, 2013 RS Fuster rated it really liked it
I'm never disappointed with anything L'Amore has written.
Utah.J.
Mar 13, 2013 Utah.J. rated it it was amazing
i loved this collection of short stories, these are some of my favorites so far, i liked "home is the hunter" and "marshal of canyon gap" the best but they were all good.
Anne
Jul 15, 2008 Anne rated it liked it
I'm not much of a western fan, but these stories were enjoyable, and all quite different.
Cecelia
Absolutly wonderful.
Ryan
Ryan rated it it was amazing
Nov 04, 2013
Debbi
Debbi rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2013
Rich Brown
Rich Brown rated it liked it
Oct 02, 2012
Sara Hogue
Sara Hogue rated it really liked it
Oct 30, 2011
Steve
Steve rated it really liked it
Dec 04, 2016
Jessica Wilson
Jessica Wilson rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2010
Alan
Alan rated it really liked it
Oct 08, 2015
JR
JR rated it really liked it
May 05, 2013
Lyssa
Lyssa rated it really liked it
Feb 23, 2012
Melissa Jane
Melissa Jane rated it liked it
Aug 17, 2015
Rbaseel
Rbaseel rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2009
  • Highwaymen: Robbers and Rogues
  • Ambush of the Mountain Man (Mountain Man, #31)
  • The Man of the Forest
  • The Dawn of Fury (Trail of the Gunfighter, #1)
  • The Tonto Woman and Other Western Stories
  • Kull (The Robert E. Howard Library, Vol II)
  • The Buckskin Line (Texas Rangers, #1)
  • Destry Rides Again
  • 100 Malicious Little Mysteries
  • Dakota! (Wagons West, #11)
-Wikipedia
More about Louis L'Amour...