Start by marking “The Sky-Liners (The Sacketts, #17)” as Want to Read:
The Sky-Liners (The Sacketts, #17)

The Sky-Liners (The Sacketts #17)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  1,683 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Flagan Sackett narrates heading west with Galloway to seek their fortunes. The brothers try to save Judith 16 from marrying James Black Fetchen. Fletchen gang kill her grandpa Laban Costello and hold pa hostage at his Colorado horse-breeding ranch for the rich land and fine horses.
Published February 1st 1980 by Bantam (first published April 1967)

To ask other readers questions about The Sky-Liners, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sky-Liners

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeThe Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienPride and Prejudice by Jane AustenJane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëThe Elephant Tree by R.D. Ronald
"Bucket List" Books
393rd out of 797 books — 235 voters
A World of Possibility by Christopher  ShieldsA World of Romance by Christopher  ShieldsBentwhistle the Dragon in a Threat from the Past by Paul CudeGood Like This by Peter ArpesellaA World of Terror by Christopher  Shields
Recommendations
313th out of 427 books — 296 voters

More lists with this book...

Britt
Can you believe I read this? I did. I read it in honor of my grandpa. He loves these books.

I really liked it. It was adventurous, romantic and CLEAN. Louis L'Amour is a fun writer. Who knew?
Diane Wallis
Nov 28, 2010 Diane Wallis rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Diane by: Leonie Halley
The book club subject for the month of December drew me to this title. It was a chance remark during our October meeting at the local library of "whatever happened to Westerns" that set us down this track. As the book club is library-based in the southern slopes and plains of New South Wales, Australia, we can't all read the same book as we are supposed to use the library for our club 'reads'. Instead we choose an author or genre and also, at meetings, discuss other books we may have read in the...more
Chris
This was the last Sackett book I read. I started reading them because my dad owns every book by L'Amour. They were all sorta similar and got resolved too quickly at the end of the book. Still wish there was more Sacketts to read though. Good books and will probably reread them again.
Mason Downs
This book was really good, its about to sackett brothers who go into a town to payoff the rest of there fathers debt, when they run into some of the worst outlaws in that town and make them look like fools. so later on there on there way out of town and a man stops them and ask if they would take his granddaughter to her father because that same outlaw is looking to marry here. so the whole way through this book the outlaw is chasing them and in the end one of the sackett brothers fall in love w...more
Karen
OK, they are finally starting to get a little bit repetitive. BUT, I still am having a great time reading them, and I can NOT quit in the middle of a series when I have them all laid out so nicely in order under my bed.
These were another set of brothers that we met briefly in another recent book. They had a harder time convincing me that they weren't actually looking for trouble, because the book starts with them humiliating the 'main' bad guys. But, they were being noble gentlemen at the time...more
An Odd1
Feb 24, 2014 An Odd1 is currently reading it
Raymond Fleer
I thought this book was very good. There were two brothers heading west two pay their father's debt. As they were going out west, they were talking to some traders. The traders were going to give them horses to travel if they take the grandpas granddaughter out to Colorado. As they were going there was a man wanting to marry that girl. As they were heading out they were running into a lot of trouble as they went. They made it out to Colorado, but had a lot of trouble and some people were still a...more
Craig
A continuation of the Sackett family saga. This episonde involves two brothers, Flagan and Galloway Sackett. Charged with escorting Judith, the granddaughter of an Irish horse-trader from Tennessee to Colorado to join her father there (a horseman and rancher), they encounter difficulties en route at the hands of the evil and infameous James (Black) Fletchen and his gang. Black Fletchen seeks to beguile Judith and implement his nefarious plans to dispossess Judith's father of his Colorado holding...more
Trevor Parker
Jul 31, 2012 Trevor Parker rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Western fanatics
Shelves: fiction, western
While I enjoy Louis L'Amour, and love a good Western, this fell a little flat. Flagan's methodical thoughts grew very tedious. There was way too much thinking and not near enough action. That said, I realize that a cowboy on the saddle driving cattle has nothing else to do but a lot of thinking...

Don't get me wrong, this was still enjoyable. Just not one I would recommend unless you REALLY love Westerns or L'Amour.
Fredrick Danysh
Flagan and Galloway Sackett travel from the hills of Tennessee westward to seek their fortunes. An Irish hose trader provides them mounts with the provision that they escort his granddaughter to Colorado to find her father. The girl is in love with an outlaw who pursues the the trio. He has plans of his own for her father's ranch and needs control of the girl. Flagan falls for the girl as they travel.
Brian
Another good nugget of L'Amour that tells a story of the Sackett family. Cap Rountree makes an apperance in this one and I couldn't help but picture and hear Ben Johnson acting the part in my mind. For those of you who saw the movie, "The Sacketts" you know what I mean.
Erin
I am not a huge fan of L'Amour's Sackett series of westerns. I usually find them to be too focused on the family and not focused enough on the plot or action. This one was better than some. The main resolution comes in the last few pages which is strange for a L'Amour novel.
Peter Charleston
Louis L'Amour will always be remembered as a story teller in western fiction. Flagan and Galloway Sackett run into a tough group and must find a way to save the lady and help tame the West. Another fine adventure by the author.
Michael Kennard
Read most of Louis Lamour's books when I was in my late teens and early twenties. They are important to me as they were some of the first books that got me into the reading habit. For that I shall be forever grateful
Tony Petry
This book was better than Trail To Seven Pines by Louis L'Amour. Im glad I gave him another chance because this book was very solid. I really enjoyed the characters and story to this one.
I found this while organizing the donations shelf this morning before we opened and gave what is likely the most evilly gleeful cackle to which this library has ever been privy.
Angel McRae
This is an excellent book about family and being your word. I love the Sackett stories because they have such a strong family bond. They are there for one another no matter what.
Frode
Another Sackett novel, this one about Flagan and Galloway. Good fun, light stuff, no character development, but lots of action.
Chuck
No surprises here. Another action packed, easy read book in the 17 book series of "The Sacketts. This one is number eleven.
Maria
Just finished the whole Sackett series for the second time. I kind of miss that family now! I love these books.
Riley Schumacher
this was a good book but some people could find the old western talk kind of hard to under stand
Stephen Davis
Listened to the audio book. A little far-fetched, but light-hearted entertainment.
Jody
I really like this series, probably one of my favorite series of any genre.
Partridge Public
Nov 20, 2007 Partridge Public added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: L'Am West PB
Shelves: juniorfiction
L'Amour, Louis PB
Jerri
Sacketts are always a good read.
Harold
Another excellent "Sackett" book!
Larry Holshu
What more is there to say. :o)
Troy
Recreational Reading
Martha
Just plain fun to read
  • The Spirit of the Border
  • The Shootist
  • Hombre
  • The Last Mountain Man (Mountain Man, #1)
  • The Searchers
  • Shane
  • For the Temple
  • Dakota! (Wagons West, #11)
  • Jason's Gold
  • St Agnes' Stand
  • Frontier Wolf
  • Telegraph Days
-Wikipedia
More about Louis L'Amour...
Last of the Breed The Walking Drum Sackett's Land (The Sacketts, #1) Hondo The Lonesome Gods