Start by marking “Sackett” as Want to Read:
Sackett

Sackett (The Sacketts #8)

4.16  ·  Rating Details  ·  4,781 Ratings  ·  148 Reviews
A drifter by circumstance, William Tell Sackett hungered for a place he couldn’t name but knew he had to find. South of the Tetons, through a keyhole pass, he found it: a lonely yet beautiful valley—with a fortune in gold. Then he found an even greater treasure: Ange Kerry, a courageous and resourceful woman. But the harsh ways it takes to protect his claim—and their lives ...more
Published January 1st 1981 by Bantam (first published 1961)

Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtryTrue Grit by Charles PortisBlood Meridian, or the Evening Redness in the West by Cormac McCarthyAll the Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthyBury My Heart at Wounded Knee by Dee Brown
Best Westerns
151st out of 753 books — 989 voters
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeThe Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienJane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëPride and Prejudice by Jane AustenThe Book Thief by Markus Zusak
"Bucket List" Books
272nd out of 757 books — 278 voters

More lists with this book...

Dirk Grobbelaar
Jul 22, 2015 Dirk Grobbelaar rated it really liked it
Shelves: western

"Mister," I said, "if you ain't any slicker with that pistol than you were with that bottom deal, you'd better not have at it."
Trouble was, he wouldn't be content with one mistake, he had to make two; so he had at it, and they buried him out west of town where men were buried who die by the gun.

So I’d finished The Daybreakers and immediately started on Sackett. The events depicted here take place shortly after the events of The Daybreakers, but the two books don’t have so much bearing on one ano
Jacob Proffitt
Feb 11, 2015 Jacob Proffitt rated it liked it
Shelves: western
This was the weakest Sackett tale so far. Tell is pretty awesome, so it isn't the hero (he has a subtle sense of humor that I found particularly engaging). Mostly, it's a weak story. It takes most of the first third to develop a recognizable through-line, though you can see in retrospect some aspects of that beginning that penetrate or resonate by the end.

But even once the story got started, it was a relatively weak one. I mean, putting a (mostly) peaceful town together around a gold strike is a
Jim
Dec 01, 2015 Jim rated it really liked it
I am waiting for a book to become available at my local library and was looking for a quick read. I read somewhere that Louis L'Amour described himself as a storyteller. Many years ago I read pretty much every L'Amour book I could get my hands on. Some of my favorites were his Sackett novels. This is the third Sackett novel published but in the Sackett series it is the eighth. The protagonist is William Tell Sackett and the time frame is 1874 - 1875. Tell fought for the Union Army during the Civ ...more
Jennifer Hooker
My grandfather was the biggest Louis L'Amour fan I've ever heard of. He passed away a few years ago and that's when I decided it was time to see what all the fuss was about. I must say that for my first Louis L'Amour book I was pleasantly surprised. The writing style was nothing special but I've seen worse. The plot was simple and short, which made it a fun, quick read. What I loved most, however, was the characters and how you can feel L'Amour's passion for the old west through his writing. Sac ...more
Gerald Kinro
Sep 23, 2012 Gerald Kinro rated it it was amazing
Drifter Tom Sackett comes home, wishing to settle down. He has, however, shot one of the notorious Bigelow brothers, and they are bent on revenge. He moves on and finds gold while spending time in a cave. Gold brings more attention to him, including that from the Bigelows. Typical of Lamour’s books a showdown ensues.

This book is full of action as Lamour paints a vivid picture of the characters and the scenes in which they work and play in. Highly recommended.
An Odd1
Feb 26, 2014 An Odd1 rated it really liked it
Shelves: action
ISBN from 1980 https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...
In a hidden valley south of the Tetons, narrator William Tell Sackett finds gold, and starving orphan Ange Kerry. He does what needs to be done, but the innocent has never seen a man shot. Brothers Tye and Orrin with faithful sidekick Cap come on board. "Any man can shoot a gun .. What counts is how you stand up when somebody's shooting back" p 188.

"Trouble just naturally seemed to latch onto me and hang on with all its teeth" p 201. He pea
Taylor Sutton
Oct 21, 2012 Taylor Sutton rated it it was amazing
When my father was my age, his favorite books to read were the classic stories of Louis L’amour. He loved those books, and still does today. So, when he heard about this assignment, he suggested that I give his favorite one, Sackett, a try. I’m really glad I did. My interest in the setting of the story combined with the historical fiction made for a great read.
First of all, Sackett is a wonderful book about the life and times of a man in the Wild West. The main character, Tell Sackett, experienc
James
Feb 19, 2013 James rated it really liked it
I must admit I’m not a big Western reader. I think the American West is an amazing chapter in our history: unique in the world, fascinating in its tough ideals, and interesting in the squabbles between the American Indian and the white American cowboy.

The last Louis L ’Amour book I read was “Haunted Mesa” which I enjoyed because of its science fiction elements. But I digress!

I’ve heard of the Sackett novels of course but never read them. Picked this copy up at a half-price store and was certain
Jennifer Hughes
Jul 12, 2010 Jennifer Hughes rated it really liked it
First Louis L'Amour book...lots of fun. There is something very satisfying about reading something that you have a pretty good idea what it's going to be about, and then you pick it up and it's a fun and easy read and it met all of your expectations.

It's just like sitting down to a John Wayne movie...you know what you're in for even if you don't know the specifics of that movie. There's going to be a lot of shootouts and the bad guys are going to lose and the hero gets the girl. This book was r
Dalton
May 19, 2015 Dalton rated it really liked it
Sackett finds himself being chased by forty men as he looks for his wife's killer. With everything they own in their wagon, Sackett and his wife Ange are going west to start a new life together. While finding a trail , Sackett finds himself falling 600 feet down a steep cliff into the water. When he finally pulls himself out, he discovers that he has been shot!

He pulls himself out of the river and finds a hiding place to try and recover. While undercover he hears two men that are searching for
Aaron Toponce
Jan 24, 2016 Aaron Toponce rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I actually liked this story. Really liked it. But first, the rough spots.

What is starting to grate on me, is how humble and down on themselves these Sacketts are. Never good at reading, or never good at communicating with women, etc. William Tell Sackett is the same. Couldn't read well, couldn't compare himself to his brothers, didn't know how to behave at dinner in a house, and didn't know how to talk to women. This is the one thing that's really starting to get old. Instead, I would like to re
Ed
Oct 21, 2015 Ed rated it really liked it
Shelves: adventure, action, western
#8 in the Sackett series (#1 in publication order). William Tell Sackett, the older brother of Orrin and Tyrel, has been on a trail drive to Montana. While there he gets news of his mother living with his brothers in Mora, NM Territory and resolves to visit. Passing through the San Juan Mountains of Colorado he follows and old trail and finds a gold mine started by Spanish explorers.

Sackett Titles #8 - Hard circumstances had made William Tell Sackett a drifter, but now he hungered for a place he
Jen
Oct 24, 2009 Jen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"But the fact of the matter is, no man can shape his life according to woman's thinking. Nor should any woman try to influence a man toward her way. There must be give and take between them, but when a man faces a man's problems he has to face them a man's way." Don't we do just about everything different from this in our country? I love most of the wisdom of Louis L'amour.
Raymond White
Feb 12, 2016 Raymond White rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I don't recall when I first encountered Louis L'Amour westerns but I have enjoyed them all. Sackett (and any of his books dealing with Sacketts) are among my favorites. The settings he describes, well, let's just say I've been down some of those trails and he gets every single detail right. From the Mogollon Rim through the Colorado Rockies and beyond, if Louis L'Amour wrote it down you can bet it's there.

His protagonists are strong, tough men and women who hold honor, loyalty and family dear.
Nancy Hartill
Jul 19, 2015 Nancy Hartill rated it really liked it
Upon recommendation of my brother in law who read 5 in the series, I raced thru this in a day and 1/2. It was fun to read about this upstanding guy who wanted to be a better reader, learning the law of the land from a book, and passing on excerpts from the book to impress those with less understanding of the law. All Sacket wants to do is to bring out a little gold from a mining claim without too much attention, but as nature has it, others are hot on his trail, but he finds a lovely girl in the ...more
Micah Weatherl
May 13, 2015 Micah Weatherl rated it liked it
Ok, so honestly, all of us are greedy. When Tyrel discovers an old abandoned mine full of all the gold and more a man could want, he decides to build a town nearby. This made the book very interesting to me because all of us have that desire to be filthy rich. However, even though Tyrel has all of the gold he wants he is not greedy and stuck up. He always seems to attract trouble though and with all of the gold he has found more is bound to follow him. I enjoyed this western book because of its ...more
Sheldon Bass
Sep 09, 2014 Sheldon Bass rated it it was amazing
L'Amour has a knack for creating characters every man dreams of being or at least knowing personally. Though my tastes have matured and mellowed over the years, as a very young man I was infatuated with all the Sacketts, even the sister, Echo Sackett, who was definitely one to ride the river with. In my late teens to early twenties I read every L'Amore book I could get my hands on and Sackett was probably the best. The easy country style in which he writes the book sets the tone for enthralling ...more
Rob
Jan 26, 2009 Rob rated it it was amazing
This was another old PB I found when I dusted my bookshelves at home. The cover and the summary does not match, and I don't know why it is listed as No. 6, when it should be at least 2 probably 1, since this is where Louis L'Amour started the Sackett family series, or it could be The Daybreakers, which I do not have. Currently skimming it before I write my review.
Is there a way in GoodReads where I can scan my book cover and post it, like my avatar? Anybody who knows how, please e-mail me robtur
Susan
Mar 16, 2013 Susan rated it it was amazing
Another excellent story by L'Amour about the type of men who settled the west. After the Civil War he drifted west working anything from cattle drives to riverboats. After killing a man who tried to kill him he decided it was time to try to improve his life. On his way down to New Mexico to visit his brothers (see Daybreakers) he stumbles on a rich vein of gold. After talking to his brothers he and Cap Rountree get the supplies together to mine that gold. With gold being one of those things that ...more
Steven Brandt (Audiobook-Heaven)
William Tell Sackett, while riding through the mountains, discovers an old, abandoned gold mine. Better yet, he finds that there is still a rich vein in the mine just waiting for someone to dig it out. Tell knows he can’t carry all the gold out now, so he takes just enough to buy some mining equipment and heads down to Mora, New Mexico where his brothers, Orrin and Tyrel, have built a ranch.

Tell knows that riding into town with that much gold is bound to draw attention, and he is not wrong. It s
Mark Stevens
Apr 03, 2011 Mark Stevens rated it liked it
Tell Sackett is a “homely man.” There is “no getting around it,” as he admits. “Over-tall and mighty little meat, with a big-boned face like a wedge. There was an old scar on my cheekbone from a cutting scrape in New Orleans. My shoulders were heavy with muscle, but a mite stooped. In my wore-out army shirt and cow-country jeans I didn’t come to much.” '

But Tell Sacket, like many L’Amour characters, has principles and heart and a willingness to get tough and fight when the time is right. “Sacket
Bonnie
Mar 24, 2016 Bonnie rated it liked it
Shelves: historical-novel
This part of the Sackett saga follows Tell Sackett, who drifted west following the Civil War, somewhat aimlessly going from one job to another. He starts as a cowhand at the beginning of the tale, but gets involved in gold mining. The scenery is breathtaking and the plot engrossing. I especially liked the characters, who are able to grow and yet stay true to type.
Marta-Kate Jackson
Feb 05, 2014 Marta-Kate Jackson rated it really liked it
After discovering gold in a long forgotten cave, William Tell Sackett must stake a claim on his find while also distracting and dealing with some unsavory men hot on his tail. Sackett's action-packed showdowns and methods of survival will drawn many Western lovers in, but the detailed descriptions of the rural Western frontier was enough to make me want to pack up and head West in pursuit of a simpler time.
David Rasner
Sep 20, 2014 David Rasner rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
"Any man can shoot a gun .. What counts is how you stand up when somebody's shooting back". In a hidden valley south of the Tetons, narrator William Tell Sackett finds gold, and starving orphan Ange Kerry. He does what needs to be done, but the innocent has never seen a man shot. Brothers Tye and Orrin with faithful sidekick Cap come on board.
Rob
May 10, 2015 Rob rated it liked it
Never read any Louis L'Amour before, or any westerns for that matter. While I found the Yosemite Sam narration a bit tedious at first the story was an old fashioned adventure that I really enjoyed. The 12 year old boy in me loved it - gun fights, a gold mine and a beautiful girl- what's not to like? Might have to read some more!
Ralph Blackburn
Nov 03, 2015 Ralph Blackburn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Often Copied- Never Matched

L'Amour's immutable style wins the day in this tale of hard men heading for an equally hard reckoning. Tell Sackett stands tall in the saddle and lives by a strict code that does not forgive fools, but honors the unfortunate. One of the best in the series!
Jordan McPeek
Took the folks on a roadtrip to attend a funeral. Found this at the library and knowing L'Amour is Dad's favourite author I figured he'd give it a try. A good read full of various trials and tribulations that were always overcome. Lots of philosophizing about hard work and standing up for the right thing.
Leo
May 28, 2014 Leo rated it really liked it
Shelves: western
The author has excellent prose, as usual, very descriptive of the country side by the Teton Mountains. The characters are well defined. The plot is well thought and presented. Sometimes I felt like I was climbing up the mountain. I would recommend this book to anyone interested in a good western.
Royce Ratterman
Feb 23, 2016 Royce Ratterman rated it really liked it

Most books are rated related to their usefulness and contributions to my research.
Overall, a good book for the researcher and enthusiast.
Read for personal research
- found this book's contents helpful and inspiring - number rating relates to the book's contribution to my needs.
Chad
Mar 24, 2015 Chad rated it liked it
Louis L'Amour's stories are often simple and his characters like to talk in monologue but he's known as America's storyteller for good reason, he knows how to spin a good yarn. This is one of the books in the Sackett series that follows the Sackett clan through numerous generations.
  • The Hash Knife Outfit
  • Ambush of the Mountain Man (Mountain Man, #31)
  • Nevada! (Wagons West, #8)
  • The Dawn of Fury (Trail of the Gunfighter, #1)
  • Appaloosa (Virgil Cole & Everett Hitch, #1)
  • Gunsights
-Wikipedia
More about Louis L'Amour...

The Sacketts (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Sackett's Land
  • Lando
  • Mojave Crossing
  • The Sackett Brand
  • The Sky-Liners

“Well, I've often been wrong, but this time I was right and they had to pay mind to me or bury me, and mine is a breed that dies hard.” 1 likes
“My folks built blood into the foundations of this country and I don't aim to see them torn down for no reason whatsoever.” 1 likes