Start by marking “Lonely on the Mountain” as Want to Read:
Lonely on the Mountain

Lonely on the Mountain (The Sacketts #17)

4.01  ·  Rating Details ·  2,465 Ratings  ·  53 Reviews
In Lonely on the Mountain, Louis L’Amour’s solitary wandering Sackett brothers make a stand together—to save one of their own.

The rare letters Tell Sackett received always had trouble inside. And the terse note from his cousin Logan is no exception. Logan faces starvation or a hanging if Tell can’t drive a herd of cattle from Kansas to British Columbia before winter. To ge
Published September 1st 1984 by Bantam (first published January 1st 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Lonely on the Mountain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lonely on the Mountain

Kayla
May 22, 2014 Kayla rated it it was amazing
Good book! But I thought the ending was rushed and hastily put together. The entire book was about the Sacketts and their friends driving a herd of cattle to British Columbia and then the last four pages covered their arrival and the defeat of the bad guys. It was a little confusing and like I said: rushed. I would have liked more details about in the ending.
Ed
May 15, 2016 Ed rated it liked it
Shelves: adventure, action, western
#17 in the Sackett series chronologically (and #15 in publication order). Author L'Amour wrote that he planned the Sackett series to contain more than 40 volumes bridging the history of the Sackett family from 1600 to the late 1800s. This 1980 volume was the final one chronologically and the 12th to take place in the 1870s. In publication order the first 11 take place in the 1870s and the next 3 between 1600 and 1620. After this volume, written when the author was already 72 years old, only Ride ...more
Aaron Toponce
This story is another Tell Sackett story, along with his younger brothers Orrin and Tyrel, and their distant cousin Logan Sackett. Cap Roundtree is with them, along with some new faces.

Somehow, Logan got himself into trouble, and Tell and Co. need to bring in a whole herd of cattle to settle some sort of debt. However, as they're moving northwest across the U.S.-Canadian border and into British Columbia, they are constantly hammered with all sorts of trouble actively working to prevent them from
Angie Lisle
Dec 01, 2015 Angie Lisle rated it liked it
Several of the Sackett gang appears in this story - William Tell, and both his brothers, Orrin and Tyrell, ride out to rescue cousin Logan locked up in a British Columbian jail.

The POV changes between characters a few times, but we readers mostly ride with William Tell. The POV changes should've helped break the monotony except all the characters are doing the same thing - riding a lonely trail through the grasslands spreading out at the foot of the Rocky Mountains, each character looking for t
Keith Bell
Jan 12, 2014 Keith Bell rated it liked it
Read everything Louis wrote as my father did and his father before him. Cut my teeth on my first L'Amour western at the age of 6 (truth). The Sackett's are just great stories. Had to look at the copyright date of this and compare it to Lonesome Dove as many plot points and situations are similar. L'Amour wins.. 5 years BEFORE Lonesome Dove.
Ruth
Feb 10, 2013 Ruth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love all of the Sacketts, but the brothers Tell, Tyrel, and Orrin might be my favorites (other than Flagan and Galloway, of course). If there's anything to dislike about this book, though, it's the weird shifting back and forth between first and third person narrative. L'Amour does this from time to time, and I never like it.
Charles
Dec 23, 2008 Charles rated it really liked it
Shelves: westerns
A Sackett book. Most of the Sackett series is pretty darn good, and this one is too, even though it's not among my favorites in the series.
Carmelina
Jan 14, 2014 Carmelina rated it liked it
Shelves: westerns
This book I found enjoyable until the very end. The description of the cattle drive, the problems along the way, Orrin's own journey to met up with the cattle drive, all satisfied the reader in me. But the last chapter after Shorty is killed made me feel as if everyone else knew the secret except me. It left me wondering who really was Mary McCann and why had she been heading to the gold mine? What had happened between Mary McCann and Cap? Why was Shanty Gavin set on starving out his step-sister ...more
Melinda
Jun 27, 2016 Melinda rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
Another audiobook enjoyed on a summer road trip. Appreciated L'Amour 's chops as a writer; he does a fine job at characterization and his careful, deliberate descriptions of the land are what he's famous for. My first read by this prolific author and I wouldn't mind reading more about the Sacketts.
Bracken A.
May 25, 2015 Bracken A. rated it liked it
In my opinion this book was okay it was a little dry in the middle, but when the action was increased so was the interest level. I liked this book because I like the Sackett series. This book is great for anyone who likes the Sackett novels or anyone that likes Louis L'Amour books.
Clay Dawson
Jan 08, 2016 Clay Dawson rated it really liked it
This book wasn't my favourite, but it was still a well written book. This book is full of action and detail, but it felt like it just went on and on in some spots, It felt like it just went around in circles. When I read this book I felt connected to book. But over all it was an alright book!
Melinda
Dec 27, 2014 Melinda rated it really liked it
The Sackett brothers, Tell, Orrin and Tyrell, head north with a herd if cattle because their cousin Logan needs help. Sacketts also help each other. They encounter friendly Indians, and other white men that don't want them to reach their destination. I enjoyed this book and having the three brothers together again in a story.
Linda Craft
Feb 07, 2015 Linda Craft rated it liked it
I just finished rereading this. I haven't read a Louis L'Amour book in about 20 years. I had forgotten that how the story is told to us rather than experiencing the story. It is still a good tale. I like the way the Sackett family holds together.
Michael Sigler
Jan 21, 2015 Michael Sigler rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good story

This is a good story with the Sackett brothers coming to the aid of one their Clinch Mountain cousins. Cattle drive with gun smoke.
Stven
Dec 10, 2011 Stven rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A strong 3 stars, and for the works of Louis L'Amour as a whole a strong 4 stars. His storylines are straightforward, greed and brutality in conflict with decency and strength, set out typically somewhere in his expertly and extensively researched American frontier. He always has something to tell the reader about the challenges of the terrain, and these prove to have a fantastic variety. He makes the lack of subtlety in his prose into a virtue. In Lonely on the Mountain we get one episode in th ...more
Scott Lyson
Aug 16, 2015 Scott Lyson rated it it was amazing
There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning.
Rhonda "Ondami"
Apr 27, 2015 Rhonda "Ondami" rated it it was amazing
Got caught in this series and I'm not disappointed. I'm really enjoying the Sacketts.
Hilary Williamson
Jun 18, 2016 Hilary Williamson rated it liked it
Seriously those Sacketts!!
J.A. Pierce
Mar 11, 2014 J.A. Pierce rated it it was amazing
Great read.
Brianna
May 15, 2011 Brianna rated it liked it
I'll admit this is not my favourite Sackett story. It seemed as if L'Amour wasn't sure which was the main climax of the novel. Most of the pages were taken up by the journey (the long cattle drive through Canada), after which we came upon the trouble they'd known was coming without knowing what it was. I much preferred the story of the cattle drive, while the ending battle seemed rushed and unnecessary.

But, Tell and Tyrel are worthy of the name Sackett, and still a fun read.
Mark
May 06, 2009 Mark rated it liked it
Shelves: recentlyread
A rippin' good yarn, mostly about a perilous cattle drive through the Canadian West. More hokey and overdone dialogue than usual (I like my cowboys/gunmen a tad more laconic), and a penchant for repeating information many times; also, the pacing goes all to hell in the final chapters, with a crashing wrap-up in a few sentences--as if L'Amour were getting paid for an exact number of pages and not one more.
Jeffrey Schnorr
Jan 05, 2015 Jeffrey Schnorr rated it it was amazing
it was really good and exciting. there is shooting and killing . so not very christain like.Boys will like it
Suzanne
Dec 27, 2008 Suzanne rated it liked it
Shelves: grown-up-stuff
I read the Sackett series by Louis Lamour when I was a teenager, and I had to put one with my books here. This series is PG-rated, which is nice, and they all have great underlying messages about integrity and hard work. They are, as expected, pretty cliche, but there is also quite a bit about them that reminds me of my own [cowboy] relatives.
Chuck
Feb 29, 2012 Chuck rated it really liked it
Nice story and the conclusion of the seventeen volume "Sackett Series". This particular story was more entertaining than most and brought a number of the brothers back together with a few of the more colorful characters from the series. It was fun while it lasted, but now it is time to return to the 21st century and to find another compulsion.
K.M. Updike
Mar 18, 2015 K.M. Updike rated it really liked it
Gotta love them Sackett brothers.
Michael
Dec 08, 2013 Michael rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this quite a bit. A very readable tale about the Sacketts' effort to save one of their own up in western Canada by driving cattle from the Dakotas into British Columbia, definitely a very tough route in the 1870s. Being from North Dakota, L'Amour does a good job using that knowledge as he relates this tale!
Serena
Feb 16, 2016 Serena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: western

My Rating System:
Michael Kennard
Sep 27, 2012 Michael Kennard rated it really liked it
Read most of Louis Lamour's books when I was in my late teens and early twenties. They are important to me as they were some of the first books that got me into the reading habit. For that I shall be forever grateful
Fredrick Danysh
Oct 14, 2014 Fredrick Danysh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tell Sackett and his brother Tyrell are driving cattle in the Dakotas in response to a plea for help from a cousin. They find gold, Indians, Higgins, and trouble. Tell also discovers a girl in the wilderness.
Cleanfun
Aug 18, 2009 Cleanfun rated it liked it
I typically am a big fan of Louis L'Amour but I had a terrible time getting into this one. I started Galloway the day after I finished this and within a couple of pages was drawn into it like I expect to be.
  • Fate Takes a Hand
  • Paradise Valley
  • A Taste of the Forbidden (Buenos Aires Nights, #1)
  • Under the Tonto Rim
  • The Baby Jackpot (Safe Harbor Medical, #10)
  • No More Sweet Surrender
  • Preacher (The First Mountain Man, #8)
  • The Dawn of Fury (Trail of the Gunfighter, #1)
  • Resolution (Virgil Cole & Everett Hitch, #2)
  • Royal Bridesmaids
-Wikipedia
More about Louis L'Amour...

The Sacketts (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Sackett's Land
  • Lando
  • Sackett
  • Mojave Crossing
  • The Sackett Brand

“It didn't seem fair, but then, a lot of things aren't. We take them as they come.” 1 likes
“There are two kinds of people in the world, son, those who wish and those who will. The wishers wish to be rich, they wish to be famous, they wish to own a farm or a fine house or whatever. The ones who will, they don't wish, they start out and do it. They become what they want to or they get what they want. They will it.” 1 likes