Bloodstains

Bloodstains

3.4 of 5 stars 3.40  ·  rating details  ·  153 ratings  ·  29 reviews
For decades English investigators have been convinced that one, or two, or the Jack Ripper murders were committed by an American surgeon in London. Maybe they were right. The story of the author's great-great grandfather, Herman Webster Mudgett. History knows him as the infamous serial killer, H. H. Holmes.

Bloodstains is the startling tale of one man’s search for the truth...more
Published (first published April 10th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Bloodstains, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bloodstains

Glenn Starkey
Jan 10, 2012 Glenn Starkey rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Adults
Recommended to Glenn by: Friend
Review: “Bloodstains” Author: Jeff Mudgett

I received a copy of “Bloodstains” from a friend. My only knowledge of it was that the author was said to be the great-great-grandson of a man believed to have been Jack the Ripper.
As a former law enforcement officer my interest in the psychological makeup of serial killers and sociopaths was heightened by this book. I had read articles, books, watched movies and documentaries, and heard countless theories about the true “Jack.” Nothing seemed of a defin...more
Elizabeth Newton
“Bloodstains” by Jeff Mudgett is a disturbing account of the author’s discovery of his family history. After learning his great-great grandfather was America’s first acknowledged serial killer, H.H.Holmes, Mudgett begins to question what impact that relationship might have on his own life. Holmes, whose real name was Herman Webster Mudgett, confessed to the killings of 27 individuals primarily during the 1893 Chicago World’s Fair. Eventually he was executed for the murders but as Mudgett delves...more
Cassius Shuman
This is a must read book!!! "Bloodstains" is one of the most chilling and riveting books written about notorious serial killer Dr. H.H. Holmes that I have ever read. In fact, it may just be the most uniquely written book on the subject matter. The premise that author Jeff Mudgett inherited personal diaries that he discovered belonged to the serial killer while being unaware of his ancestral relationship to Holmes makes for a thoroughly captivating tale. The chapter where the author learns at a f...more
Paul Jones
I met author Jeff Mudgett while working at a fancy hotel where he was staying while promoting his book on H.H. Holmes in Chicago. Holmes has been pretty big in Chicago the past decade, so I thought it would be interesting to read from the perspective of an actual relative of Holmes, but it wasn't. He discovers his relation to Holmes, then begins to feel possessed by his spirit. He has this possession epiphany when he realizes he'd like to kill his neighbor, whom he normally likes. I like my neig...more
For You
Did you grow up feeling like something was missing, but you couldn't put your finger on it? Have you ever felt lost and unsure about yourself? At a family gathering, secrets of author Jeff Mudgett's family are revealed that would shock any family - they are descendent of perhaps the very first Serial Killer in US History, Herman Mudgett, better known as H. H. Holmes.

After his grandfather's death, Jeff stumbles upon things related to the family secret that send him on a journey to discover the tr...more
L.M. Smith
A Twisted Yarn of Genius - 5 stars

**I purchased a paperback copy of this book from the author at the 2012 Las Vegas Paracon**

Plot: 5/5 stars
This is one of those reads that, from the moment one cracks the spine you feel like you’re about to be let ‘in the loop’ on a massive secret and it did not disappoint! I couldn’t put it down; I carried everywhere with me and completed reading it, despite it being a substantial novel, in less than 24 hours. Once I’d devoured the last page I felt the need to...more
Shawn
I find that I must write this review at night, in order to give proper deference to the things that go bump in the night. For anyone that has been there in the reality -vs- daytime space, or realizes the thin veil that seems to exist between this and other worlds, this account seems to honestly capture the confusion and fear that can occur when other worlds are explored. Even if you are a skeptic, there is a certain aspect of Jeffery Mudgett's exploration that makes one wonder, even if only from...more
Delilah
BLOODSTAINS takes the reader on a ride into the belly of the beast of late 1800's serial killer, H. H. Holmes, one of the most prolific and evil, and his descendants. The author's story of finding out about his ancestry and how it affected him on all levels leaves you wondering, could this be real? He presents evidence about the distinct possibility of solving the mystery of Jack the Ripper, he goes on a "ghost hunt" to the remnants of the Chicago Murder Castle, he finds the grave of Holmes, and...more
Stacey
If you enjoyed The Devil in the White City  Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America by Erik Larson and were particularly fascinated with H.H. Holmes, then I highly recommend Bloodstains. Whether or not the information Jeff Mudgett writes in this book is accurate or factual, I can't say, but it is very interesting. I have always been in awe of the human brain and it's capabilities and this book satisfies in that respect.

Be warned, this is not a book for the faint of heart as some of the descriptions of Holmes' killings are just graphic enough to gross you out.
A.J. Walkley
I first read BLOODSTAINS prior to interviewing author Jeff Mudgett for the Mahalo.com Author Series. There were few books that I actually had the time to read at the time, but when I picked up BLOODSTAINS to read a few pages, I found I could not put it down and spent the rest of the day in the world of both Jeff Mudgett and H.H. Holmes. I have always been intrigued by serial killers and knew a bit about Holmes before picking up BLOODSTAINS. This book made me rethink all I had known about Holmes...more
Sara
If you're looking for the diary/journals of HH Holmes, this isn't it, but it's still a good read. This is Holmes' great-grandson, who didn't know about his family history until he received a box after the death of his surly grandfather. It deals more with how Mudgett coped with the news and the research he did, which is very interesting. Mudgett (and I) are convinced that Holmes was or influenced Jack the Ripper.
Still looking for the transcribed journals, though. Also a collection of the news r...more
Ewa
I really wanted to like this book. I really, really did. And I didn't dislike it for its writing or anything of the sort - it was a fascinating read, to an extent. I have to admit, though, that the subject matter was far more disturbing than I anticipated it to be, and I couldn't quite finish it due to that. I gave it an honest effort, though, and as I don't want to spend a lifetime having nightmares, I will leave it incomplete and with two stars.
Suzanne
After reading The Devil in the White City, I thought a book by H. H. Holmes's great great grandson might be fun to read. While the historical information was great, I had a little problem getting into the style. But I will admit, at times I felt as if I were in the middle of a seizure or something.
Agneris Natalia
This book is badly written, full of cliches and obvious errors. It's a shame this guy used his bloodline to create an uneventful plot and the notion that people are bad or good because of their genetics. Really don't waist your time with this book.
Noelle
This was one of the most riveting books that I have ever read. I read The Devil in the White City last year and then heard about this book. It is an unbelievable story that will keep you on your toes and you will not want to put it down!
Shelley
Fictionalized look at HH Holmes's life, written by his great-grandson, where HH was not killed in the 19th century but lived and killed and his spirit lingers and takes over the author. Creepy and bizarre.
Jennifer Moser
Fabulous book, couldn't put it down! Can't wait to see the TV show with Ghost Hunters where they investigate the former site of the Murder Castle. Once you start this book you will be drawn in!
Kathy Conder
I couldn't put this one down! The scariest tales are those that deal with what man is capable of and the story of Holmes does that and more. Be sure to leave a light on while reading this one!
Lynn Girardeau
There are many fine books on H. H. Holmes, but this is not one of them. This book is a piece of poorly written fiction, with very little connection to the true life of Holmes.
Collin Katrell
I thought there was going to be more of H.H. and less of Jeff. I felt like I was reading Jeff's Autobiography when really all I was intrigued by was H.H.
Tina
Loved it. The story is truly compelling. An interesting look into the mind of a killer. The editing could have been better, but still worth the read.
Lois
I just found this boring, and kept waiting for the real story to begin. After 100 pages, I figured it just wasn't for me.
Dave Lechleiter
Very good. This was billed as a non-fiction autobiography, but it reads like a horror movie. Very engaging.
Victoria
I thought the story of H. H. Holmes was really interesting but would have liked to see some better editing.
Kim
it is a very compelling novel... very complicated and complex. And it is truly scary...Brilliant!
Maranda Melton
it was a very hard read. I kept getting drawn in but it was difficult to follow.
Linda
Interesting, almost unbelievable, and very creepy.
Kristyn
Fascinating but incredibly disturbing.
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014