Start by marking “Soldier of the Legion” as Want to Read:
Soldier of the Legion

Soldier of the Legion (Soldier of the Legion #1)

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  269 ratings  ·  16 reviews
A squad of young Outworlder troopers from the ConFree Legion face a merciless, all-powerful alien enemy on a mysterious world in the Outvac frontier. Their mission is soon clear - victory or death. Failure means extinction for their species.
Kindle Edition
Published (first published April 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Soldier of the Legion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Soldier of the Legion

Whispers from the Pirate's Ghost Whisper
Soldier of the Legion

Okay, somebody spent a little too much time playing Mech-Warrior, huh? Go War Hammer Gaming!

Even though Heinlein has clearly influenced this author, there are also other influences at work. Probably some Harry Harrison, a little Asimov, and Ray Bradbury, mixed with Japanese Anime', Marvel Comics. I can almost hear the theme song to Starblazers, that most respectable of Japanese Spaghetti Anime' ... sing along with me...

We're off in outer space
Protecting mother earth
To save
Mike (the Paladin)
If you've read many of my reviews you know I like a good action book. You may also know I like a good military science fiction. I had high hopes for this one I really wanted to like it. I'm sorry that I can't say I did. I got to a point where I just wanted it to be over.

This one opened in a fairly promising way. It was an action scene and even though the adversary was not as advanced as the Legion troops the combat and so on was/were promising. The Soldiers of the Legion put me in mind (slightly
Brandon
This was a very entertaining far-future, war-based (obviously) sci-fi book, based on the events and actions of a squad of legion troops. Other than a good strong recommendation, the only other thing I would say is that as one chapter ends and another begins, sometimes the flow feels a bit off. That's what a new chapter is for, I guess. Maybe I should be more specific.

The romantic interest of the main character, Thinker, is at times at the forefront of his thoughts, and at others, it's like he's
Meera Flame
I absolutely loved this book!!! It is now definitely a favourite and I am certainly going to read the next one. It is wonderfully well written, I felt like I was there with these guys. It took me a while to get used to all the terminology, like I had literally been dropped into the Legion, with everything going on around me! The characters are great, I really felt for them and liked them all. Their world is really well imagined and all felt very real and immediate to me, quite a roller coaster r ...more
Patrick
Jun 22, 2011 Patrick rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Patrick by: Amazon
Skip it. Read "old Man's War", Doom Star Series, "Fallen Dragon", or "Star Strike" if you need to get your Military Fiction itch scratched.
The book jumps into combat straight away, with rifles that dont miss, armor with AI, and a new brand name for everything. I dont think an HE round is going to change its name - even when its the mother of all HE and a TAC nuke you can see and then feel wash over your suit is going to be a problem. If the suit is making sure the rounds connect and has error f
Jay Javier
Marshall S. Thomas' Soldier of the Legion is the first book of a six part series that follows young Legion trooper Thinker's adventures in the ConFree Legion. He and his squad mates are kept young, strong and seemingly immortal through advanced biotechnology. As a fighting force, they must fight to survive horrific battles against a corrupt, slave-raiding empire as well as relentless alien enemies. Fast and furious military science fiction without the overwhelming angst of the 40k universe!

Greg
If you like Warhammer 40K Space Marine books (i.e. bad ass space solders, that live, breath, think, die as a unit, in battle and live forever [until killed]). The bad guys are human and no where near as evil as Chaos, but they are pretty bad.

This books feels a little like we're joining the story in the middle, that there was a book before this (but as far as I could tell, this is currently #1 in the series).

If you like squad scoped battes and stories, hopeless odds and "good guys" kicking ass a
Bette Kester
Quite unexpectedly - but happily- by the third chapter of this book: I was hooked. By the last third of the book, I realized that the book is written in several "layers." It's an incredibly "rich" book that will surely appeal to casual readers who want a great plot with plenty of action and plenty of intrigue, as well as to those who are intrigued with the subtle "undercurrents" that more careful and thoughtful read will reveal. It definitely left me eager to find the next one and start reading ...more
Brian
I enjoyed the entire Legion series. A military SF story/series but with fine character development. The only problem is that the series went on a little longer that it should have. By the last book or two the stories were getting a little too Heinlein like. That might be Ok for some but not so much for me.
Jeff
It's been a long time since I read any military SF, but this was the right one to jump back in with. The author has a real gift for writing fast-paced action scenes, and moves the plot along at such break-neck speed that you are almost startled when you reach the end.

A very well written tale.
Bob
I wasn't so sure about this book at the beginning due to it's confusing (at the time) vocabulary, but once I looked at the glossary, it made more sense. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes science fiction.
Graeme Findlay
A decent story. Worth reading. Lots of action and a sideline of romance. Too heavy on the jargon and it feels like you're dropped in part of the way through the story.
Drew
It got a bit difficult to follow at times, but I still think that overall it merits 3.5 stars. I will read the series and see how it goes.
Jordan favela
great book if you like sci-fi, adventure, the military, and a little romance THEN READ THIS BOOK
Michael
Very good book. Fast paced and holds your interest.
Jps
Jps marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Soldier of the Legion 1 10 Feb 13, 2009 09:10AM
MP3 CD of Soldier of the Legion 1 5 Jan 25, 2009 06:52PM
Soldier of the Legion CD Audio Book 1 5 Jan 25, 2009 06:48PM
  • Galactic Corps (Inheritance Trilogy, #2)
  • Siege of Titan (Star Crusades Uprising, #1)
  • Dominant Species
  • Extinction (Star Force, #2)
  • To Hell's Heart (Crimson Worlds, #6)
  • Chaos Quarter
  • Temporary Duty
  • Peace Army (The Peace Warrior, #2)
  • Furious (Kris Longknife, #10)
  • Starship: Mercenary (Starship, #3)
  • Villains Inc., Episode One: Preemption (Villains Inc. #1)
  • Trader Vyx (A Galaxy Unknown #4)
  • Battle Pod (Doom Star, #3)
  • Too Close for Comfort
  • Poor Man's Fight
  • The Legend of Corinair (The Frontiers Saga #3)
  • The Fourth Science Fiction Megapack
My name is Marshall S. Thomas and I am the author of the six-part Soldier of the Legion science fiction series, set in the far future, and also a second series, Prophet of ConFree. I am now writing the third book for the second series.
I love writing and write for the sheer joy of it. I was turned on to science fiction in the late '50's as a teenager and wanted to write SF from that moment. I didn
More about Marshall S. Thomas...
March Of The Legion Slave of the Legion (Soldier of the Legion, #3) Curse of the Legion (Soldier of the Legion, #6) Cross of the Legion Secret of the Legion