Start by marking “Soldier of the Legion” as Want to Read:
Soldier of the Legion

Soldier of the Legion (Soldier of the Legion #1)

3.51  ·  Rating Details  ·  360 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
A squad of young Outworlder troopers from the ConFree Legion face a merciless, all-powerful alien enemy on a mysterious world in the Outvac frontier. Their mission is soon clear - victory or death. Failure means extinction for their species.
Kindle Edition
Published (first published April 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Soldier of the Legion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Soldier of the Legion

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon)
Soldier of the Legion

Okay, somebody spent a little too much time playing Mech-Warrior, huh? Go War Hammer Gaming!

Even though Heinlein has clearly influenced this author, there are also other influences at work. Probably some Harry Harrison, a little Asimov, and Ray Bradbury, mixed with Japanese Anime', Marvel Comics. I can almost hear the theme song to Starblazers, that most respectable of Japanese Spaghetti Anime' ... sing along with me...

We're off in outer space
Protecting mother earth
To save
Mike (the Paladin)
If you've read many of my reviews you know I like a good action book. You may also know I like a good military science fiction. I had high hopes for this one I really wanted to like it. I'm sorry that I can't say I did. I got to a point where I just wanted it to be over.

This one opened in a fairly promising way. It was an action scene and even though the adversary was not as advanced as the Legion troops the combat and so on was/were promising. The Soldiers of the Legion put me in mind (slightly
Brandon
Sep 06, 2011 Brandon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very entertaining far-future, war-based (obviously) sci-fi book, based on the events and actions of a squad of legion troops. Other than a good strong recommendation, the only other thing I would say is that as one chapter ends and another begins, sometimes the flow feels a bit off. That's what a new chapter is for, I guess. Maybe I should be more specific.

The romantic interest of the main character, Thinker, is at times at the forefront of his thoughts, and at others, it's like he's
Meera Flame
Nov 12, 2012 Meera Flame rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I absolutely loved this book!!! It is now definitely a favourite and I am certainly going to read the next one. It is wonderfully well written, I felt like I was there with these guys. It took me a while to get used to all the terminology, like I had literally been dropped into the Legion, with everything going on around me! The characters are great, I really felt for them and liked them all. Their world is really well imagined and all felt very real and immediate to me, quite a roller coaster r ...more
William  Knight
Feb 17, 2015 William Knight rated it liked it
It's a good time killer.

It's very alright. Nothing groundbreaking. Simplistic, protagonist never feels imperiled. Characters are forgettable, setting itself is intriguing. Curious about 40k inspiration levels, with having weapons that are essentially bolters, and psykers.
Patrick
Jun 22, 2011 Patrick rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Patrick by: Amazon
Skip it. Read "old Man's War", Doom Star Series, "Fallen Dragon", or "Star Strike" if you need to get your Military Fiction itch scratched.
The book jumps into combat straight away, with rifles that dont miss, armor with AI, and a new brand name for everything. I dont think an HE round is going to change its name - even when its the mother of all HE and a TAC nuke you can see and then feel wash over your suit is going to be a problem. If the suit is making sure the rounds connect and has error f
Jay Javier
Marshall S. Thomas' Soldier of the Legion is the first book of a six part series that follows young Legion trooper Thinker's adventures in the ConFree Legion. He and his squad mates are kept young, strong and seemingly immortal through advanced biotechnology. As a fighting force, they must fight to survive horrific battles against a corrupt, slave-raiding empire as well as relentless alien enemies. Fast and furious military science fiction without the overwhelming angst of the 40k universe!

Greg
If you like Warhammer 40K Space Marine books (i.e. bad ass space solders, that live, breath, think, die as a unit, in battle and live forever [until killed]). The bad guys are human and no where near as evil as Chaos, but they are pretty bad.

This books feels a little like we're joining the story in the middle, that there was a book before this (but as far as I could tell, this is currently #1 in the series).

If you like squad scoped battes and stories, hopeless odds and "good guys" kicking ass a
Bette Kester
Sep 01, 2014 Bette Kester rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quite unexpectedly - but happily- by the third chapter of this book: I was hooked. By the last third of the book, I realized that the book is written in several "layers." It's an incredibly "rich" book that will surely appeal to casual readers who want a great plot with plenty of action and plenty of intrigue, as well as to those who are intrigued with the subtle "undercurrents" that more careful and thoughtful read will reveal. It definitely left me eager to find the next one and start reading ...more
Brian
Feb 10, 2013 Brian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the entire Legion series. A military SF story/series but with fine character development. The only problem is that the series went on a little longer that it should have. By the last book or two the stories were getting a little too Heinlein like. That might be Ok for some but not so much for me.
Jeff
Aug 25, 2011 Jeff rated it it was amazing
It's been a long time since I read any military SF, but this was the right one to jump back in with. The author has a real gift for writing fast-paced action scenes, and moves the plot along at such break-neck speed that you are almost startled when you reach the end.

A very well written tale.
Bob
May 12, 2013 Bob rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't so sure about this book at the beginning due to it's confusing (at the time) vocabulary, but once I looked at the glossary, it made more sense. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes science fiction.
Graeme Findlay
Jun 19, 2012 Graeme Findlay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
A decent story. Worth reading. Lots of action and a sideline of romance. Too heavy on the jargon and it feels like you're dropped in part of the way through the story.
Drew
Mar 28, 2013 Drew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It got a bit difficult to follow at times, but I still think that overall it merits 3.5 stars. I will read the series and see how it goes.
Sarah Smithers
Apr 04, 2015 Sarah Smithers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I listened to the audiobook and it was done like a radio show! bunch of different voices and sound effects! It was a real hoot.
Tyson
Aug 15, 2010 Tyson rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
my review here.
Jordan favela
Mar 10, 2013 Jordan favela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
great book if you like sci-fi, adventure, the military, and a little romance THEN READ THIS BOOK
Michael
Sep 29, 2011 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Very good book. Fast paced and holds your interest.
Djchandlerme.Com
Djchandlerme.Com rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2016
norm groux
norm groux marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Bjorn
Bjorn rated it it was ok
Jan 28, 2016
Pete Moyes
Pete Moyes marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Kevin Oliver
Kevin Oliver rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2016
Ash Hutchings
Ash Hutchings rated it liked it
Jan 21, 2016
Mr Terry Jackson
Mr Terry Jackson rated it it was amazing
Jan 14, 2016
CARLOS VELASQUEZ
CARLOS VELASQUEZ rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2016
Richard Slack
Richard Slack rated it liked it
Jan 07, 2016
Jeff Mccoy
Jeff Mccoy rated it liked it
Jan 05, 2016
Phil
Phil added it
Jan 02, 2016
MP3 CD of Soldier of the Legion 2 6 Apr 04, 2015 11:07PM
Soldier of the Legion 1 12 Feb 13, 2009 09:10AM
Soldier of the Legion CD Audio Book 1 6 Jan 25, 2009 06:48PM
  • Siege of Titan (Star Crusades Uprising, #1)
  • Galactic Corps (Inheritance Trilogy, #2)
  • The Line Must Hold
  • Hall of Mirrors: Tales of Horror and the Grotesque. Volume 1
  • Dead Beat
  • Ember (Haan, #0.5)
  • Dr. Dale's Zombie Dictionary: The A-Z Guide to Staying Alive
  • A Book of Nonsense
  • Empire (Star Force, #6)
  • Dominant Species
  • Trader Vyx (A Galaxy Unknown #4)
  • The Clone Sedition (Rogue Clone, #8)
  • Villains Inc., Episode One: Preemption (Villains Inc. #1)
  • Battle Earth III (Battle Earth #3)
  • Present at a Hanging and Other Ghost Stories
  • Peacekeeper (Major Ariane Kedros, #1)
  • Man-Kzin Wars 11 (Man-Kzin Wars, #11)
  • Starship: Mercenary (Starship, #3)
My name is Marshall S. Thomas and I am the author of the six-part Soldier of the Legion science fiction series, set in the far future, and also a second series, Prophet of ConFree. I recently released the fourth book for the second series.

I love writing and write for the sheer joy of it. I was turned on to science fiction in the late '50's as a teenager and wanted to write SF from that moment. I
More about Marshall S. Thomas...

Soldier of the Legion (6 books)
  • March Of The Legion
  • Slave of the Legion (Soldier of the Legion, #3)
  • Secret of the Legion
  • Cross of the Legion
  • Curse of the Legion (Soldier of the Legion, #6)