Homer, the Library Cat

Homer, the Library Cat

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  242 ratings  ·  48 reviews
When a quietloving cat takes an unexpected tour of the neighborhood, he's in for some rude surprises--until he discovers the purrfect solution.

Homer is a very quiet cat. He lives in a very quiet house with a very quiet lady. But one day, while the lady is away, Homer hears a very loud sound, and out the window he goes! Poor Homer just wants to find a spot where he can curl...more
Published November 8th 2011 by Candlewick Press (first published November 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Homer, the Library Cat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Homer, the Library Cat

Millions of Cats by Wanda GágPete the Cat by Eric LitwinScrawny Cat by Phyllis RootKitten's First Full Moon by Kevin HenkesThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss
Cats on Picture Books
20th out of 79 books — 24 voters
Library Lion by Michelle KnudsenThe Library by Sarah StewartThe Boy Who Was Raised by Librarians by Carla MorrisThe Library Dragon by Carmen Agra DeedyLibrary Mouse by Daniel Kirk
Picture Books about the Library!
77th out of 103 books — 114 voters

More lists with this book...

Christiane
Sweet story of a cat who gets out of his house and ends up in the one quiet place he can find---the public library---where his owner ("the quiet lady") is a librarian! The pictures are a little too small and detailed for large story times, but would work for smaller ones. Each page has a four-line rhyme that while not great poetry will be fun to read aloud. This will be a nice companion to the picture book "Dewey: There's a Cat in the Library!" by Vicki Myron.

***I was just re-reading this before...more
Kathryn
3.5 STARS

Well, Homer is a sweetie, that's for sure! He is so sweet and gentle and loves his quiet house and the quiet lady with whom he lives. But, one day he finds himself outside in the big, noisy world. Aaahhh! Will he ever find quiet again? The title gives you a big hint about that ;-)

I wanted to love this book, but it ended up being just "pretty good" for me. I had expected something more about a cat actually living in the library, and this is more about his adventure in the outside world b...more
Barbara
When his quiet daily routine is disrupted, Homer--a very quiet cat--leaps from the window in his house and begins a day filled with adventure and lots of noise. As soon as Homer finds a place to settle, like a fire engine or a railroad boxcar, something noisy happens, and he has to leave. Eventually, he enters a quiet place where he finds the woman with whom he lives. Homer has a great time, sleeping during storytime and enjoying the snacks and the attention of all the children who have come to...more
Julie Esanu
Homer loves his quiet routine, but one day everything changes when he hears a crash and jumps out the window. He spends his day searching for respite from the cacophony of the town, and finds a quiet spot in the library. Consider pairing this book with The Quiet Book and The Loud Book or The Great Gracie Chase by Cynthia Rylant.
Jen
I simply adored this book: the illustrations were fabulous and the text was really great, too. :)

I loved that the text rhymed. (I love children's stories that rhyme, lol.) The illustrations were great fun, too. The story was really neat: (view spoiler)...more
Lisa
What a great book! It has everything a person could want in a children's book. It has a good word-to-picture ratio for each page, not leaving the reader lingering on pages so the listener can take in the picture, but not so many the listener gets ready for a new picture before the words are all read. The rhythm is flawless (there is one bit on the final page when you have to sort of swallow on of the r's in "library", but that's inoffensive enough, and the slight inconsistency makes the near-imm...more
Othrpplsnapkins
I don't really care for stories about library animals, but I'm not a kid, am I? Fun story about finding a quiet place all your own. What a way to sell the library!
Kjrstin
The rhyming text is upbeat and rhythmic without being too bouncy or forced. I like all the sounds in the text as well:BANGED, CRASH, CLANG CLANG etc...
Jackie
Homer loves peace and quiet and living his while-away days at home with the quiet lady. After she leaves one day, the window is broken and Homer leaps out. He finds all sorts of noises outside...clanging fire engines, chugga-chugging railroad cars, and noisy garbage cans.

Just then, Homer stumbles into a quiet building and finds the quiet lady! She's in her rocking chair reading stories to children! They love him and Homer has found a new home.

Homer the Library Cat is a delightfully illustrated...more
Mckinley
Cat gets lost, looking for a place to rest, Homer ends up in the library with someone he knows well.
Sunnyvale Librarian
Homer is living a quiet life with a very nice lady. One day, when his lady is not home, he falls out a window and his quiet lifestyle is lost. He travels around town trying to find a peaceful spot but he always ends up at noisy places like the fire station or the train station. Then his luck changes and he finds a place that seems quiet; there are lots of books and children's voices and then the voice of someone familiar. Can it be his very nice lady? This is the perfect story for kids who enjoy...more
Meg Allison
A sweet story about a quiet-loving cat in a quest to find some peace and quiet. Reeve Lindbergh has a great touch writing stories in rhyme that have a ton of both kid and adult appeal.

Candlewick has created a fabulous PDF resource with extension activities and printables.

In my library class (for 1st and 2nd graders), I'm pairing this book with The Library Lion. Children will design and describe a pet or animal that could live in our library.
Cheryl
Jul 25, 2014 Cheryl rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: j
Nice rhyming.
Charlyn  Trussell
Nov 06, 2012 Charlyn Trussell rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: PreK - grade 2
Homer leaves home when his peace is disrupted and tries to find another quiet place to stay. Surprise! He finds his owner in the public library and finds that he likes that environment. This story in rhyme details Homer's search for quiet and the various places he didn't find it. And while I was contemplating why there weren't more books about a dog in a library my dog's yapping reminded me why. But maybe a hamster or a goldfish or a chameleon....
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Dolly
May 27, 2012 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2012, childrens, library, pets
This is a fun and fascinating story of a cat who is temporarily lost, but finds his owner and a new place to hang out in the library. I love cats and libraries, so this was a story I was sure that I would like. The illustrations are very colorful and humorous and the narrative is short and entertaining. We really enjoyed reading this book together.
Nazia Chowdhury-ahmed
What a delightful children story book. It has all you need for the perfect childrens book. A good proportion of pictures to words. Just as exciting to read as a whole class and one to one. Comprising of rhyming couplets, which all pupils love. Interesting story about a colourful cat called Homer embarks on a wonderful journey.
Nick
Having met a real library cat, I think the author and illustrator did a great job. A library cat has to have a calm personality, but be adventurous and friendly enough to want to hang out with relative strangers. Homer is a really good example of the right kind of cat.
Kids who like cats will really enjoy this story.
mauvemagnolia
Rhyming story about a cat who likes quiet places. Homer goes around town trying to find a quiet place after a loud noise scares him out of his home. Ends up in the library, a perfect place for quiet time, stories and snacks!

Recommended for:

* Storytime for ages 2 - 5
Sharlet Mullen
Homer loves his quiet life till on day he falls out the window of his house. Scared he runs to find a quiet place, yet every time he falls asleep another loud noise wakes him. He finally finds the right door of the library and enjoys the stories.
midnightfaerie
A book my 5 yr old as well as my twin 3 yr olds loved. A solid reading level 1 book, this cute story keeps all ages engaged with the bright colorful pictures and cute story. A great addition to any children's library.
Beverly
This rhyming story is about a quiet cat who is easily alarmed by loud noises. So what better place for a home than a quiet library? Cute cartooney illustrations.
Robin
It's neat the way Homer makes his way to the library. I'm not a cat lover but I am a librarian so I appreciated Homer's quest for the quiet he finds in the library!
Heather
33 months - O can relate to this cute fun story about a cat who doesn't like loud noises... And where does he end up? One of her favorite places, the library!
Carol Royce Owen
Homer loves quiet, so when a disruption causes him to leave his peaceful home he has a difficult time finding another place as nice and quiet.
Bvlmc Buchanan Verplanck Elementary School
Hushing listeners with its soothing, quiet rhymes readers follow Homer as he searches for silence and finds a second home in the library.
Marianna
Loved the illustrations in this book. A short, sweet story about a kitty who is lost, but quickly finds his way to where he belongs.
Nicole
humorous story of a skittish cat told in verse. but wait, there's more - a fire station, a train, and a library. have fun.
Donalyn
Homer enjoys quiet, but when he accidentally falls out a window, he discovers that the world is a noisy place.
Ana
Guilty as charged. Totally partial to "library" themed books, especially of the picture book variety.
  • Scrawny Cat
  • Fuddles
  • No Sleep for the Sheep!
  • Dewey's Christmas at the Library
  • Dog in Charge
  • Old MacDonald Had a Dragon
  • Who Has These Feet?
  • I Got Two Dogs
  • Kitty Cat, Kitty Cat, Are You Waking Up?
  • Otto the Book Bear
  • When the Library Lights Go Out
  • Library Lily
Children's author, novelist, and poet Reeve Lindbergh is the daughter of world-renowned aviator Charles Lindbergh and his wife, the talented writer Anne Morrow Lindbergh.
More about Reeve Lindbergh...
Under a Wing: A Memoir No More Words: A Journal of My Mother, Anne Morrow Lindbergh Johnny Appleseed Forward From Here: Leaving Middle Age--and Other Unexpected Adventures The Day the Goose Got Loose