The Heart of Glass: The Third Tale from the Five Kingdoms

The Heart of Glass: The Third Tale from the Five Kingdoms (Tales from the Five Kingdoms #3)

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  99 ratings  ·  15 reviews
The madcap, macabre, and maddeningly funny Tales from the Five Kingdoms continue — with an oddly heart-warming adventure.

It’s a fine day for dwarf watching! At least that’s what Gracie Gillypott and Prince Marcus innocently think as they set out, unaware that Princess Marigold has honed her sights on Marcus and plans to follow him to the ends of the earth — fan, frilly pet...more
Published August 9th 2011 by Candlewick Press (first published August 3rd 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Heart of Glass, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Heart of Glass

Judy
Marcus's motivations / lack of conscience seemed a bit unconvincing in this. But I enjoyed it anyway. Good series for confident junior readers and tweens.
Nicola Mansfield
Reason for Reading: Next in the series

This is another series I read simply because it is a whole lot of fun. The Tales of the Five Kingdoms have a fairy tale quality to them and follow the adventures of Gracie Gillypot, living with the Ancient Crones who weave the tapestry of life. Gracie is not always the main character in each book, though. This time around, almost every one of the main characters we have met so far and their families are part of the story as a wedding is under preparation. Th...more
Loupie
Blog post 28/05/2010
Last week I was blogging about Shannon Hale’s excellent fairy tale retellings and assuring all the (at least chronologically) adult readers that, although they were written for teenagers, they can be enjoyed by the (notionally) grown up. Hey! That’s not a slight – I’m right there with you on the my-age-has-finally-reached-my-European-shoe-size scale of adulthood. Anyway, moving along…..

If you’re with me so far let’s take the next, logic...more
Cemeread
Heart of Glass is the third story in the Tales from the Five Kingdoms series. Vivian French made good on her promise that the bats would have more dialogue in this book. We even meet a new bat, Flo, who helps Gracie. There are some new characters in this book, mostly dwarves and trolls. Somehow Gracie has gone from dwarf-spotting with Marcus to being in a dwarf tunnel, where it isn't good to be a true heart.

The king of trolls wants a princess bride. The dwarves need the trolls' strength for mini...more
Phoebe
Sep 14, 2010 Phoebe rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lisa, Kezia, Cora
Another delightful installment in this delightful and funny series. The troll king is lonely and wants a princess to keep him company, so the dwarves promise him one in exchange for a troll digger who can help them mine more gold for the imminent wedding of Princess Fedora. Meanwhile, Gracie Gillypot is in mortal danger when she is caught by a dwarf trap and pulled underground, then stalked by the scary gollum-like creature, Oolie. It's up to Marcus and his team of loyal bat messengers to figure...more
Toby Ross
I think it was a very well wrote book filled with magic and spells. It is a good book for 9-12 year olds.
Mayrocks
I already read The Robe of Skulls: The First Tale from the Five Kingdoms (Tales from the Five Kingdoms) and The Bag of Bones: The Second Tale from the Five Kingdoms, which are the 1st and 2nd books in the Tales from the Five Kingdoms. this is the 3rd, and I enjoyed it as much as I did the first two.
Brett
A great further entry in a really strong, enjoyable fairy tale series akin to E.D. Baker's Frog Princess. Fantastic main characters Prince Marcus & feisty, truehearted orphan Gracie Gilliepot have an adventure involving the Trolls living under the forest just outside the Kingdom.
Erika Baewer
I do so love a book that makes me smile. so far all three novels in this series has done just that. This one, The Heart Of Glass, was just a tad more in-depth than the others, I felt. quite simply, I loved it!
Heather
I love this series. This is one I would happily read aloud. (I also happily read it to myself!) I am looking forward to the next installment in the series.
Lucy
Again, Vivian French pulls off another astounding chapter of the Five Kingdoms series. She has perfected the art of story telling.
Kylie Post
I love Vivian French her books are filled with wonder and enthusiasm!
Kait
I love this book series!! It's so cute and fun!!
PWRL
Sep 11, 2014 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-new
O
Molly Alshamar
Molly Alshamar marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Kayah St.germain
Kayah St.germain marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Vesra (When She Reads)
Vesra (When She Reads) marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Miky Fogarty
Miky Fogarty marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Stacey Lee
Stacey Lee marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Vivian French was best known in school for being extremely skinny and for talking a lot. At school she developed an attachment to words and later became an actor, then a storyteller, and finally a writer of children's books. She is the author of more than two hundred books. Ms. French lives in Edinburgh, Scotland, and has four grown daughters.
More about Vivian French...
The Robe Of Skulls (Tales from the Five Kingdoms, #1) Yucky Worms Princess Charlotte and the Birthday Ball (The Tiara Club, #1) Princess Alice and the Magical Mirror (The Tiara Club, #4) The Bag of Bones (Tales from the Five Kingdoms, #2)