Flashman and the Tiger: And Other Extracts from the Flashman Papers

Flashman and the Tiger: And Other Extracts from the Flashman Papers (Flashman Papers #11)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  1,097 ratings  ·  38 reviews
Flashman and the Tiger is George MacDonald Fraser's 11th chronicle of Sir Harry Flashman, a "celebrated Victorian soldier, scoundrel, amorist, and self-confessed poltroon." Written with great wit and ingenuity, the series is presented as a succession of long-lost memoirs, which Fraser is simply editing for a modern readership. Thus does he interrupt Sir Harry's voice with...more
Published August 1st 2000 by Alfred A. Knopf (first published 1999)

Johnny
Fans of the intrepid poltroon, Sir Harry Flashman, will need no introduction to the scandal and intrigue laced comedies of the late George MacDonald Fraser. Fraser was an advocate who contended that even Hollywood history with its inevitable bowdlerizing (or scandalizing, depending on the director/studio), synthesizing, and mythologizing for purposes of box office formula was better than no history at all (see The Hollywood History of the World: From One Million Years B.C. to Apocalypse Now). Th...more
Mark
Unlike most of the rest of the series, which are novels, this book includes a novella and two short stories. In each, Flashman is inserted into events the author did not devise, although the last of these is not a historical event, but a short story of Conan Doyle.

The novella, The Road to Charing Cross, covers a now-obscure attempted assassination of Emperor Franz Josef of Austria in 1880. Of course, Flashman blunders into the plot and foils it, thereby delaying the start of WWI by almost 35 yea...more
Cynthia
This one is a novella and three short stories. The novella is GREAT, a typical Flashman romp. The other two were a little harder to get into, they didn't have the framework of history to add interest, they were just personality. And while the personalities are always fun, they aren't really very different from story to story so .... there wasn't much value-added. But certainly the novella is worth reading.
Jim
I had forgotten about Flashman. I read this one, just about died laughing, and had such a hard time finding other editions to the series I gave up. Great reading.
Gerhardt Himmelmann
Flashman and the Tiger isn’t a novel: it’s a novella followed by two (mostly) unrelated short stories. Between them, they provide a variety of contrasting approaches to telling a Flashman tale.

The novella, (“The Road to Charing Cross”) sticks fairly close to the formula that emerged in the middle of the run of novels, with the slight deviation that (view spoiler). Another atypical feature is that the events that form the backdrop to this sto...more
Edward Erdelac
I picked this one up specifically for the titular Zulu Wars/Sherlock Holmes crossover story after having read the first Flashman.

I was blown away. I love history and I love the idea of fictional (or fictionalized) minor characters moving behind the scenes of greater recorded events and affecting them somehow.

SPOILERS

This was even better as it took the actual events of Isandlwanda (sp?) and Roark's Drift, injected the minor Holmesian villain Tiger Jack Moran, ADDED Flashman to that, RETCONNED Ti...more
Greg Deane
I found Flashman and the Tiger a senescent disappointment, with about 40% of it devoted GM Fraser revelling in vicarious prurience, Harry Flashman being close to the author's age in this ultimate novel of three adventures. When Flashman isn't rogering fillies, he's going into detail about his cowardice, much of which is cut and pasted from other Flashman novels: his blunt self-appraisal is superfluous well beyond any point jocularity.

Apart from these predictable shortcomings, the book offers li...more
Kay
A bit of a catch-all Flashman, as this title contains three novelettes, two of them ostensibly penned in Flashman's later years. In the first, "The Road to Charing Cross," Flashman helps save Emperor Franz Josef of Austria; the second escapade deals with the Tanby Croft scandal, and in the last story Flashman meets up with his nemesis, Tiger Jack Moran. The third tale is a bit of a detour as the nemesis in question is not a historical personage but a fictional one. Tiger Jack Moran, it turns out...more
R. Michael Litchfield
Collection of 3 short stories (well a novella and 2 stories) all above the average even for Flashman stories (meaning very good indeed), The first is a story of an attempted assassination of the emperor of austria and involves baltic princesses, the son of Rudy Starnberg and the typical (what is the opposite of "daring do" appropriate for Flashman behavior? "cowardly do"?). Just a touch long but very fun.

The second story is a lovely little bit about a Tranby Croft gambling scandal of Prince Albe...more
Doug
Ensiform
Three unconnected stories: the first relating how Flashman is dragooned into preventing the assassination of Franz-Josef and preventing (well, postponing) WWII; the second revealing the truth about the Tranby Croft affair (which I've never heard of; a noble was caught cheating at cards); and the third, unusually, plunges Flashman into the world of Sherlock Holmes as he attempts to kill the best shot in India, Tiger Jack Moran.

It has all the usual ingenious weaving of fictional drama using real h...more
Richard
What a shame. The rest of the books in this series could have easily scored 5 stars each. GMF's art is to make history interesting, telling the story by placing a great character at the scene. His historical facts and when called for presumptions make for superb plots. Flashy is thrown from pillar to post after his own ego, skin and a bit of skirt.

However this last book is just not that. It has been reversed and concentrates on Flashy. The plots are secondary and not of the same quality as the p...more
Robin Carter
For a long time people had expounded the brilliance of the flashman and the books are damn fine to read, i don't think it needs me or anyone else to write a review saying about the high quality of the writing and characters... but for me the real brilliance comes to the fore when the book is read by the likes of Rupert Penry-Jones or Toby Stephens or Jonathan Keeble.
I love to listen to the Flashman books on audio format when im on holiday, the only issue i have is to make sure i dont start talki...more
Jim
Unlike the other Flashman books, Flashman and the Tiger, is a collection of 3 stories. The first sees Flashman put in the middle of European intrigue that could ultimately lead to a war like the world has never witnessed before. The second story sees Flashman in the middle of a royal scandal. The third and final story was my favorite (Although, all of the stories were quite good). The last story pits aging General Flashman against the dastardly Colonel Moran. Although never mentioned by name, Sh...more
Satish Terala
This probably is where it starts to get formulaic, not that earlier flashman novels were not similar in structure. This book is a collection of three stories where Flashman ends up in Germany in once again in a face off with his arch nemesis Bismarck, in the second he is embroiled in a gambling controversy close home and in the third one Flashman almost pulls off a murder if not for his cowardice that overtakes him at the last minute. While his German adventure measures up in structure,detail an...more
Mieczyslaw Kasprzyk
I enjoyed this set of Flashman stories - they were amusing, as usual but there was something lacking. I wonder if it was the fact that the stories were less "historical" than others in the series. They were still, largely, based on true incidents and/or characters but most of these were minor incidents or even (in one case) fictitious! Flashman is seen, in these stories, as an aged figure, not yet doddering but certainly well out of his prime. He still gets embroiled in strange adventures, often...more
F.R.
It's a rather older Flashman who stars in these three short stories. He's in his sixties in the traditional Flashman tale 'The Road to Charing Cross'; knocking on 70 in the almost locked door mystery of 'The Subtleties of Baccarat' and older again in 'Flashman and the Tiger' (where he has a very amusing encounter with Holmes and Watson.)

His age means that - after the first story - there is a different, more elgiac pace to proceedings. And while for a fan it is interesting to see the character af...more
David Parish-Whittaker
Ah, Flashy, older but hardly doddering. A bit less of the rakehell, as well (but only by comparison to his earlier years). Three novellas done with Fraser's typical attention to history. Flashy up against the son of his old enemy Rudy von is particularly fun, but the others are certainly worth an afternoon read.

Is it the best of Flashman? No, but that still means it's a rollicking good time. Fans of the series won't want to skip it, and if you're not a fan, go read the earlier stuff and report b...more
Scott
Flashman #11. A review? It's the 11th book. What do you think I thought? If I'm this far into the series, clearly I'm into Flashman. Reading a review of book 11 is not going to swing you if you're on the fence. If you are already a Flashman fan, I'll say this: three stories you get in this book. One somewhat shorter-than-standard, and two quickies, including a brush with (a gloriously pompous - and wrong) Sherlock Holmes.
David Mcdowell
Old Flashy - still got it!

One thing I wasn't so sure about was meeting other fictional characters. I like to think that Flashman exists in an otherwise real world, and felt like it was turning into the League of Extraordinary Gentleman at one pont

I now have to visit Isandlwana on my trip next year
Redsteve
Interestingly, this is the only Flashman book that has fictional (literary) characters in it*. The last story in the book, "Flashman and the Tiger", features "Tiger Jack" Moran, and (to a lesser extent) Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson.

* As opposed to Royal Flash, which is allegedly the inspiration for The Prisoner of Zenda.
Nathan
The last of the Flashmans is a set of a novella and two short stories. Flashman is an old man in these and they don't feature the same sort of rollickingness of earlier stories. The second one in particular is very flat. I'll be sorry to see the cowardly fool go, mind. Rated M for some violence, sex scenes and adult themes. 3/5
Fuzzy Gerdes
Flashman and the Tiger is the penultimate Flashman book and it's a collection of two novellas and a short story. It's also the driest of all the Flashman books, by far. One of the novellas is about a Baccarat Scandal, of all things. Flashman, sad to say, is most at home at war, or at least skullduggery.
Bernard Dogon
Kicks ass, rollicking good read about an English officer who's a total bastard yet always lands with his ass in the butter... very funny, raunchy and educational, as the author always portrays him crucial historical events that changed history.
Ajj
The entire Flashman series is a delight. I love this one mostly because it shows how clever his wife is. Flashman is always claiming that his wife is brainless but when he is finally at home enough to see her in action it takes his breath away.
Rina
Flashman and the Tiger is particularly enjoyable for its allusions to Conan Doyle, but the cover got me very confused while I was reading the first two stories, which provide a lot of insight into Europe c. 1880, a deliciously decadent period.
Jansen Wee
Three distinct episodes, but yet one of the best Flashman books in the series! Pity that the series ends here (I think), but it was a great tail-end flourish all the same. A standing ovation.
Matt Holloway
Whole series is great, the only historical fiction I've ever enjoyed. This was my favorite, adventures in Bengal. As my grandfather said, sometimes it's hard not to just skip to the sex scenes.
James
Mar 01, 2009 James rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Rumpole fans
Shelves: novels
Brilliant if you like the narrator's English Public School POV style of writing. The stories are wonderfully twisted, like good mysteries wrapped up in mischief.
Blair Kauffman
One of a series of Flashman books I read in late 2009 at the urging of my brother Don, another big Flashman fan.
  • Ramage & the Freebooters (The Lord Ramage Novels, #3)
  • Queen Victoria's Little Wars
  • Commodore Hornblower (Hornblower Saga: Chronological Order #9)
  • Sharpe's Battle (Sharpe, #12)
  • The Complete Sherlock Holmes: All 4 Novels & 56 Short Stories
  • A Close Run Thing (Matthew Hervey, #1)
  • The Fields Of Death (Revolution, #4)
  • Holmes for the Holidays
  • Sherlock Holmes and the Red Demon
  • Goshawk Squadron
He is best known for his Flashman series of historical novels, purportedly written by Harry Flashman, a fictional coward and bully originally created by Thomas Hughes in Tom Brown's School Days. The novels are presented as "packets" of memoirs written by the nonagenarian Flashman, who looks back on his days as a hero of the British Army during the 19th century. The series begins with Flashman, and...more
More about George MacDonald Fraser...
Flashman (The Flashman Papers, #1) Royal Flash (The Flashman Papers, #2) Flashman at the Charge (Flashman Papers, #4) Flash for Freedom! (The Flashman Papers, #3) Flashman in the Great Game (The Flashman Papers, #5)