Start by marking “Pregnancy for Dummies” as Want to Read:
Pregnancy for Dummies

Pregnancy for Dummies (For Dummies)

3.59  ·  Rating Details  ·  189 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
If you're pregnant, you're about to embark upon one of the most exciting adventures of your life.
Published January 13th 2004 by Wiley Publishing (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Pregnancy for Dummies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pregnancy for Dummies

Creative Writing for Dummies by Maggie HamandBlogging for Dummies by Brad HillPublic Speaking for Dummies by Malcolm KushnerTechnical Writing for Dummies. by Sheryl Lindsell-RobertsSelf-Publishing for Dummies by Jason R. Rich
For Dummies Series
160th out of 274 books — 60 voters
Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee by Dee BrownBeing and Time by Martin HeideggerHiroshima by John HerseyThe Society of the Spectacle by Guy DebordThe Decline of the West by Oswald Spengler
Best Nonfiction Books of the 20th Century
201st out of 301 books — 77 voters

More lists with this book...

Julie
Mar 26, 2010 Julie rated it it was ok
please read this book with a skeptical mind. or at least just know that it is skewed very heavily towards a technocratic approach to childbirth. readers should be warned that the information is coming from two obstetricians with a very strong medically-oriented bias. as was pointed out by another reviewer, i found some statements that are absolutely not true: one is the authors' claim that pitocin does not lead to more painful contractions; the second is that giving birth in the lithotomy positi ...more
Mar 24, 2008 Laura rated it it was ok
On page 158 this book declares that "It is a common misconception that oxytocin makes labor more painful. It does not." And then, on page 159, "Again, the contractions produced as a result of this augmentation are no stronger and no more painful than contractions that occur during a spontaneous labor."
I'm assuming that was written by Keith Eddleman, M.D. It was obviously not written by a woman who experienced both, and would actually know what she was talking about. As my dad would say: "Do you
Heather
Jan 06, 2010 Heather rated it it was amazing
I have chosen not to read What to Expect While You're Expecting while pregnant. I have heard over and over that it's effusive information can make a mom-to-be worry more than is necessary. I know my own propensity to worry, and decided to deny myself the opportunity.

That said, this book is PERFECT to prepare for pregnancy. Granted, I'm not there yet, so that remains to be seen, but the book is informative yet concise, realistic yet supportive, and narrative yet organized. I highly recommend it.
Rebecca
Jul 20, 2014 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
This book was recommended after I complained how uninformative "Very Popular Pregnancy Book" was. It repeatedly gave broad, bland statements then said "ask your doctor". Pregnancy for Dummies IS asking your doctor! It is full of reasonable advice and invaluable information. The "For Dummies" format with the icons for organizing information is superb. I especially liked the "Don't Worry" icons. This allows for an excellent balance of information and common sense. Another great organizational feat ...more
Megan
Mar 01, 2009 Megan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, baby
I love this book! I think that title might have people questioning whether to pick it up but since I have little experience with newborns I found it extremely helpful. It has clearly labeled sections that made it really easy to find what I was looking for. I also felt that it focused on what moms to be really need to know and it was not designed just to scare them. I also felt that it was very easy to read and understand. Thus far, it has addressed all of my mommy concerns!
Amanda
Aug 31, 2008 Amanda rated it really liked it
I bought this book for my first pregnancy and read it cover to cover. It really helped me understand what was going on with my body and answered any question I could think up. It was a wonderful read and was written in a quirky, humorous writing style that held my interest. I haven't found many informative books like that. I'd recommend it to any first time preggos (or even if it's your second or third go-around!)
Orsi Nagy
Aug 30, 2013 Orsi Nagy rated it really liked it
Shelves: baby
Alapvetően informatív könyv, viszont voltak azért benne túlkapások. A legdurvább talán, amikor először közli, hogy a pár hónapos (anyatejen élő) gyerek mellett nyugodtan lehet fogamzásgátlót szedni, majd pár sorral lejjebb arról ír, hogy természetesen minden gyógyszerből valamennyi továbbadódik a babának. Van épeszű nő, aki ezt nem tudja fejben összerakni?

Amerikaiaknak íródott, és ez látszik is, sokszor az én ízlésemhez képest túlságosan szabadelvű, pl. "ne szoptass, ha nincs kedved, vagy ha irt
Viviana
Apr 26, 2016 Viviana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: have-a-copy
Muy buena información para madres primerizas como yo. Lo que no me gustó que no entraban en mucho detalle como si en verdad los k estuviéramos leyendo este libro fuéramos unos Dummies. Me hubiera guatado mucho que abarcará todos los síntomas o cosas que pasan en cada trimestre. Les falto mensionar todas esas pequeñas molestias que nosotras las embarazadas experimentamos cada día. Pero en general este libro nos da buenas referencias a lo que esperar durante el embarazo y después de el. Le doy 3.5 ...more
Agostina
Jul 14, 2015 Agostina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Para tener un panorama general respecto del embarazo, dificultades, qué esperar y varias cosas más, es un buen libro, preciso, conciso y con un nivel de detalle acotado que permite entender los temas tratados y buscar más información si fuera necesario. Es una buena orientación.
Rocio
Dec 16, 2010 Rocio rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Muy informativo! Lei partes para un trabajo de investigacion y me parecio un libro completo e interesante! Contiene informacion medica que ayuda a la mujer entender procesos normales y anormales a la vez. El libro explica las cosas de una manera que la futura mama pueda entender y da buenos consejos para prevenir ciertas complicaciones durante el embarazo. Creo que toda mujer deberia leer Embarazo para Dummies para prepararse y descubrir mas sobre esta hermosa etapa de la vida!
Julie Mayne Barschow
I bought this book for full-price at Borders with no coupons the day after I found out I was pregnant. If you know me, you know I rarely buy books new without coupons. Well, I was feeling a bit anxious and needed somewhere to unravel the thoughts and questions attacking my mind. This book definitely helped! Thanks to Heather for recommending it!
Jostalady
Feb 12, 2009 Jostalady rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting, childbirth
This book should be avoided. They made a video based on it, avoid that too! You will end up with every medical intervention possible and won't come to appreciate childbirth for what it can really be.
AleJandra Guido
Dec 27, 2015 AleJandra Guido rated it it was amazing
Shelves: no-ficcion
El mejor libro que leí durante mi embarazo. Te ensena todo lo que hay que saber del tema y además lo hace de una manera sencilla y divertida.
Melissa
Oct 21, 2007 Melissa rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: first time moms
Very informational. Not like those hard to understand big word books. Good reference book for first time moms.
Andrika
Mar 23, 2008 Andrika rated it really liked it
this is a great booking to accompany me during my 1st pregnancy. it tells you what other people don't!
Ashley
Jul 01, 2008 Ashley rated it really liked it
Another very helpful, concise, informative resource. Good for just sayin' it like it is!
Tressa
Sep 05, 2007 Tressa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone expecting
I would recommend using this book along with What to expect when you are expecting.
Monica
Jun 02, 2009 Monica rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gag gift from my brother and mom but still had some great advice and guidelines
Holly the Infinite Book Dragon
I refused to read What to Expect When You're Expecting. I read this instead.
Rachel
May 06, 2009 Rachel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very informative and written from the health care professionals perspective.
Tammy
Nov 23, 2008 Tammy added it
I recall the day when I had this book hidden under my couch.
Lynsey
Mar 06, 2012 Lynsey rated it really liked it
Very thorough - to the point that I no longer want to bear children!
Mehrnaz
Apr 21, 2007 Mehrnaz marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I have bought this book in farsi and am planning to read it soon!
Tracy Morton
Aug 17, 2012 Tracy Morton rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, health
It's for dummies so it is pretty easy to follow.
Hector Maldonado Maldonado
Mar 31, 2013 Hector Maldonado Maldonado rated it it was amazing
Ya de por sí con terror... El libro relaja mucho.
Lin
Jun 09, 2012 Lin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lin by: cathy
Shelves: pregnancy
lent to me by cathy as good overview book.
Karie
Feb 25, 2009 Karie rated it it was ok
Wasn't as helpful as "What to Expect...".
Bobby
Mar 04, 2008 Bobby rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: future parents
Yes, I actually read this book. I didn't think I would be able to get through any of my old OB text books and I figured this would be great for Lisa as well. It's actually pretty detailed and not as dumbed down as you would expect.
Jessie
Jun 15, 2015 Jessie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
awesome!!
Leila
Leila marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
  • Arabic For Dummies
  • Ballet for Dummies
  • Oil Painting For Dummies
  • Russian For Dummies
  • Counselling Skills For Dummies® (For Dummies)
  • Understanding Autism for Dummies
  • Overcoming Anxiety for Dummies
  • Violin for Dummies
  • Emotional Intelligence For Dummies
  • Negotiating For Dummies

For Dummies (1 - 10 of 79 books)
  • A Little Bit of Everything For Dummies