Start by marking “My Declaration Of Independence” as Want to Read:
My Declaration Of Independence

My Declaration Of Independence

Senator James Jeffords of Vermont left the Republican Party on May 24, 2001, when he could no longer reconcile his beliefs with the policies of the party he had supported his whole adult life. "Looking ahead," Jeffords said, "I can see more and more instances where I will disagree with the President on very fundamental issues." In "My Declaration of Independence," Jeffords ...more
Hardcover
Published November 19th 2001 by Simon & Schuster

To ask other readers questions about My Declaration Of Independence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Declaration Of Independence

Timothy Finucane
Dec 04, 2012 Timothy Finucane rated it really liked it

While this book and the events it describes are from 2001, the message couldn't be more relevant today. In 2001, Vermont Senator James M. Jeffords made the very hard decision to leave the Republican Party and become an Independent. This was a very difficult choice for him, but one that shows a man clearly standing by his convictions and principals.

The book clearly exposes the difficulties and the affect that changing party affiliation can have, not just on an individual, but his/her staff, as we

Ryan
Sep 06, 2007 Ryan rated it really liked it
This book was quite inspirational for me. It tells the story of Senator Jim Jeffords' party switch in 2001 and the reasons why he did it. He feels the way many other Northeastern Republicans do, that the South has co-opted the party and turned it into the party of gay marriage and abortion.

A highly recommended read.
Gordon
Jan 20, 2008 Gordon rated it it was amazing
Shelves: political
A great read! For every Republican who knows deep in their heart that their party is evil, this is the story of a lawmaker who comes to the same realization...and takes a courageous step to do something about it! Though he marginalized himself in the political process, he made the GOP leadership understand that not all pols were as corrupt as they were.
Maria
Jul 11, 2016 Maria rated it it was ok
A slight insight into politics. Our elected leaders collectively really don't have the best interest of the American people. The divisions of Democrats and Republicans is just a feud of pride. Terrible!
Bryan Boulette
Bryan Boulette rated it liked it
Feb 23, 2012
Jen
Jen rated it liked it
Dec 30, 2011
Jinkoe
Jinkoe rated it liked it
Mar 31, 2008
Ben
Ben rated it really liked it
Feb 23, 2009
Graham
Graham rated it liked it
Nov 09, 2008
Vaughn
Vaughn rated it liked it
May 05, 2016
Bradford
Bradford rated it it was ok
Oct 12, 2015
Matt
Matt rated it really liked it
Jan 22, 2013
Luiz Rens
Luiz Rens rated it it was amazing
Mar 31, 2012
Pamela
Pamela rated it it was ok
Jun 06, 2007
Jan Morse
Jan Morse rated it liked it
Feb 08, 2016
Casey Pickett
Casey Pickett rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2014
Sueann Vic
Sueann Vic rated it it was amazing
Sep 07, 2013
Karen
Karen rated it liked it
Aug 28, 2012
Douglas Graney
Aug 26, 2008 Douglas Graney rated it it was ok
I was glad he switched but he cost a lot of Hill staffers and interns their jobs with that move.
Matt
Matt rated it really liked it
Mar 30, 2012
Dianne
Dianne rated it it was amazing
Mar 19, 2012
Tom Holker
Tom Holker rated it really liked it
Mar 02, 2015
DC in DC
DC in DC rated it really liked it
Nov 30, 2009
Evan
Evan rated it did not like it
Jan 06, 2016
Carlos Martin
Carlos Martin rated it really liked it
Feb 21, 2016
Wade
Wade rated it liked it
Nov 10, 2013
Al
Al rated it it was ok
Feb 26, 2015
Karla
Karla rated it really liked it
Nov 06, 2012
Elke Erickson
Elke Erickson rated it liked it
Jan 23, 2010
Jared
Jared rated it really liked it
Nov 06, 2007