Start by marking “Catalog It!: A Guide to Cataloging School Library Materials” as Want to Read:
Catalog It!: A Guide to Cataloging School Library Materials

Catalog It!: A Guide to Cataloging School Library Materials

This invaluable cataloging resource gives pre-service and practicing school library media specialists the tools they need to be intelligent consumers of commercial cataloging and competent organizers of new materials in their collections. The second edition contains expanded information on Library of Congress Subject Headings and electronic cataloging and cataloging ...more
Published April 1st 2006 by Linworth Publishing (first published March 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Catalog It!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Catalog It!

Mar 25, 2011 Laura rated it it was ok
This book drove me crazy with the way it was organized out of order. I think it would have been more useful for me if it were presented in a more orderly manner. To use the books insight I found myself going backward and forward too often. The appendices are very helpful however. It's hard to give this a great review because it's a bit like reading a math book. The positive is that it only presents the basics of MARC cataloging so that the school librarian doesn't have to delve through all of ...more
Whitney Robertson
I chose this book because I used it alot this semester for cataloging purposes. Overall I think this book has potential but more information could be added. Some sections are more helpful than others but for the most part I often felt confused after reading chapters. I had trouble with the Dewey decimal system and I thougt this book would include a better instruction guide and it left me feeling confused on the process.
Michael Lucas
Oct 04, 2011 Michael Lucas is currently reading it
While this is a required book to read, the information presented does help to explain the difficult concept of cataloging. The material is presented in such a way that it allows me to digest the information while also challenging me to dig deeper into the world of MArc records. This book is one that I will keep for my home library so that I might use it in the future.
Becky H.
Aug 28, 2008 Becky H. rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: librarians who catalog
Recommended to Becky H. by: UMA
Shelves: non-fiction, 2008
This book was used as the text for my cataloging class ILS 175 Library Technical Process. This book was so helpful. It made cataloging MARC records understandable. A text book that did not put me to sleep. I will be keeping this one close by. Its understandable language helped me get a good grade in the class (A+). It will be a good resource in the future.
Andrea Scherer
Oct 14, 2011 Andrea Scherer rated it it was ok
This is the textbook for the cataloging course that I'm currently teaching. I'm not enamored with it, and I'll probably choose something different for next year. A fair amount of the rules presented are incorrect. Also the book is organized strangely. I'm not sure why physical access is addressed AFTER subject access. Anyway, done reading it for this semester anyhow.
Heather Williams
May 07, 2012 Heather Williams is currently reading it
Of any book I can think of when starting the library courses, "Catalog It!" is one of the first book I am currently studying and reading about classification. I also chose this book because it is easy to understand what the contents are discussing.
Marcia
Apr 19, 2009 Marcia rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: school librarians
Recommended to Marcia by: LBS 850
A good, basic reference source for cataloging.I appreciated that it considers that most school librarians have little time or need for original cataloging and just covers what we need to know.
Jeanne
Aug 20, 2009 Jeanne rated it really liked it
I am finding this quite helpful and related to school libraries whereas many of the other library textbooks I have are beyond my scope.
Chrissee
Chrissee rated it really liked it
Jun 28, 2010
Antiqua
Antiqua rated it it was amazing
Apr 29, 2016
Mark Jochem
Mark Jochem rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2015
Mak
Mak rated it really liked it
Dec 01, 2014
Judie
Judie rated it liked it
Jan 19, 2016
Candace
Candace rated it it was ok
Feb 20, 2015
Ray Pedersen
Ray Pedersen rated it liked it
May 02, 2016
Pat
Pat rated it liked it
May 14, 2009
Claire Repp
Claire Repp rated it it was amazing
Oct 15, 2014
Judy
Judy rated it it was amazing
Oct 27, 2015
Kifi Kanagy
Kifi Kanagy rated it it was ok
May 01, 2016
Aimee
Aimee rated it really liked it
May 17, 2015
Mrs. Cimino
Mrs. Cimino rated it it was amazing
Sep 01, 2011
Kate
Kate rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2014
Christy
Christy rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2009
Dawn
Dawn rated it liked it
Aug 20, 2014
Kathy
Kathy rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2016
Lisa Murray
Lisa Murray rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2015
Nicole Schmidt
Nicole Schmidt rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2016
Emmy
Emmy rated it it was ok
Dec 20, 2015
Jen
Jen rated it it was amazing
Mar 01, 2015
Shelby Day
Shelby Day rated it it was ok
Mar 21, 2016