Start by marking “Little Donkey Close Your Eyes” as Want to Read:
Little Donkey Close Your Eyes

Little Donkey Close Your Eyes

Join animals from around the world, including a little monkey, some silly sheep, and an old black cat, as they end their busy days and close their eyes to sleep.
Published September 1st 1995 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 1959)

To ask other readers questions about Little Donkey Close Your Eyes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Donkey Close Your Eyes

Cheryl
Nov 20, 2016 Cheryl rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars rounded up because the community average is too low, imo.
Pleasant surprise, as so much picture-book (as opposed to Golden book) Brown disappoints.
We would have loved this when my boys were little. I could stand to read it every night because I'd enjoy looking at the pictures over and over. And the rhythm and rhyme are very soothing. And the animals are somewhat atypical and therefore interesting.

The vocabulary is interesting too. And I could see using this as a writing prompt in early
Emma
Apr 03, 2015 Emma rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-2015
A bedtime story from Margaret Wise Brown. Little Donkey Close Your Eyes tucks in each of the barnyard babies one by one until it's the child's turn to go to sleep.

This is not a new concept and there is not much to this book, but the illustrations are stunning. They cover the entire pages in deep bold, beautiful colors. The little story is very sweet, and has a wonderful rhythm to it. We loved it. 5 stars.
Angela
Aug 10, 2010 Angela rated it it was amazing
Margaret Wise Brown is another one of our favorite authors. We love all of her stories and also enjoy the beautiful artwork that tells a story within a story.
Crissy
Feb 12, 2016 Crissy rated it really liked it
Cute bedtime book.
Brandi
Jan 22, 2014 Brandi rated it it was ok
Another bedtime story from the classic children's author, but not as good as Goodnight Moon.
Oct 11, 2012 Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Bedtime story in rhyme with lino cut prints (I think). We meet various animals at twilight preparing for good night time: a donkey "making faces at the skies", a monkey "throwing coconuts to the skies", and so forth.
Katie Fitzgerald
Read at Pajama Story Time on 9/11/12 and 9/12/12: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...
Bri Zabriskie
Nov 14, 2011 Bri Zabriskie rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens-books
just another bedtime book.
Amanda
Nov 30, 2009 Amanda rated it liked it
Shelves: kid-s-books
A very cute bedtime book. The illustrations are clear and nice and the text is short and soothing. Worth the read, but not a favorite.
Thia
Good night time book to read to littles..krb 7/21/16
Maren Prestegaard
Sep 16, 2012 Maren Prestegaard rated it really liked it
Shelves: preschool
I love Margaret Wise Brown. This one bounces.
John
Feb 14, 2011 John added it
GREAT choice for preschool storytimes, with the brief text , engaging illustrations
Sofia
Jun 08, 2012 Sofia rated it it was amazing
I thought it was great because I liked when the monkey was throwing coconuts in the sky.
C.
C. rated it really liked it
Sep 17, 2012
Suzanne Kunz Williams
Little ones can be so sleep-resistant. There is so much they want to do. This is a beautifully illustrated book about night falling and eveyone falling asleep. So peaceful.

** Talking points - what are your favorite things to do during the day? What dreams do you have of doing someday?
Beverly
Beverly rated it it was amazing
Sep 09, 2015
Heather
Heather rated it really liked it
Nov 09, 2011
Lisa Delacruz
Lisa Delacruz rated it it was amazing
Dec 18, 2012
Michael Fitzgerald
Michael Fitzgerald rated it it was ok
Nov 01, 2014
Kathy
Kathy rated it really liked it
Apr 14, 2016
Mallory Hall
Mallory Hall rated it liked it
Jun 26, 2012
Leah
Leah rated it liked it
Mar 10, 2016
Terra
Terra rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2017
Veronica
Veronica rated it liked it
Jan 07, 2016
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2014
Elena Lane
Elena Lane rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2016
Alistair Ninancuro
Alistair Ninancuro rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2013
Marshmallowlemonade
Marshmallowlemonade rated it liked it
Dec 07, 2012
Amber
Amber rated it it was ok
Jan 28, 2014
Margaret Wise Brown wrote hundreds of books and stories during her life, but she is best known for Goodnight Moon and The Runaway Bunny. Even though she died nearly 60 years ago, her books still sell very well.

Margaret loved animals. Most of her books have animals as characters in the story. She liked to write books that had a rhythm to them. Sometimes she would put a hard word into the story or p
More about Margaret Wise Brown...