Great Scandinavian Baking Book

Great Scandinavian Baking Book

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  75 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Scandinavian Cooking and The Finnish Cookbook, calls upon her own Scandinavian heritage and wide-ranging knowledge of Scandinavian baking to produce the definitive book on the subject.
Published September 15th 1999 by Univ Of Minnesota Press (first published August 8th 1988)

April
I've always wanted to learn more about Scandinavian cooking in general because of my Swedish ancestry, so when I saw this book on amazon and read the great reviews I had to buy it! The majority of the recipes have simple ingredients and are easy to make, but can be quite time consuming. They use a lot of butter, eggs, almonds, cardamom and raisins. Cardamom seems to be used like American's use vanilla, in almost every recipe. I also found several recipes from my childhood, including a gingerbrea...more
Anne
My main reason for rating this book so low is that it is including both Icelandic and Finnish recipes. Neither of the two are Scandinavian countries. Scandinavia is Norway, Sweden and Denmark. Finland and Iceland only come in when we speak about The Nordic Countries.

There are some good recipes in here. As well as some that made me go "Huh?"

I don't think I have ever seen a Champagne bottle inside a Kransekake in Norway, for example, and when I try to do an internet search for it, the only pages...more
Kierstin
Awesome awesome encyclopedia of Scandinavian breads, pastries, cookies, and cakes. Beatrice Ojakangas has a simple, but informative presentation style, coupling basic techniques with some historical anecdotes to support the recipe's nuances. And, her recipes are simply the best: In two separate test kitchens (kransekake and krumkake) comparing multiple versions of recipes, Ojakangas' recipes were the easiest to accomplish, the most consistent in outcome, and the best tasting.

Caveat: You have to...more
Todd
This is a great Scandinavian cookbook for bakers. I like this book because it is robust and a great reference, not to mention that it covers Scandinavia and not just an single country.

I actually used the 1988 edition, so I am not sure if the newer editions have changed, but I do prefer cookbooks with pictures, because I learn best through visual example.
Heather
Don't know why, but Scandinavia is fascinating to me. So are their baked goods! Various breads shaped like giant donuts- rad! Major usage of almonds, cinnamon, and cardamom- killer! The recipes look very easy to follow. And, there were interesting tid bits of facts written alongside the recipes.
Robert
Beatrice is a well-known cook and baker and I have followed her recipes for years. My current interest is especially baking breads. This volume has some very good recipes for limpa, julekake and other Scandanavian breads. It's a library book, but i will buy it.
Alissa
i sat down in a borders the other day to surf through this book. It has some cool recipe's in it. that's EXCITING!
Tiffiny
I love this cookbook!! I can't wait to make everything in it, yum!!
Ashley
These recipes sounded awesome!! I can't wait to try them :)
Diana Thayer
Nice recipes, including for smorkage and julekage.
Tressa
wish I had time to bake more! makes me miss the Midwest.
Bridget
Ieva
Ieva added it
Jun 25, 2014
Anni
Anni marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Linnea
Linnea marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
Kayleigh Allen
Kayleigh Allen marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Alyssa
Alyssa marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
Hopflower
Hopflower marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
May 07, 2014
Suzanne
Suzanne marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Beatrice Ojakangas has a rich background in Scandinavian cuisines, traditions and history. She and her husband, Richard, are second-generation Americans. All of their grandparents came from Finland. As they visited in Finland, Beatrice, known as "Peaches" to her friends and relatives, became interested in the foods and traditions of all Scandinavian countries. She has a special knack for making fr...more
More about Beatrice Ojakangas...
The Best Casserole Cookbook Ever The Soup & Bread Cookbook: More Than 100 Seasonal Pairings for Simple, Satisfying Meals Whole Grain Breads by Machine or Hand: 200 Delicious, Healthful, Simple Recipes Petite Sweets: Bite-Size Desserts to Satisfy Every Sweet Tooth Scandinavian Feasts: Celebrating Traditions throughout the Year