Start by marking “Gamification by Design” as Want to Read:
Gamification by Design

Gamification by Design

What do Foursquare, Zynga, Nike+, and Groupon have in common? These and many other brands use gamification to deliver a sticky, viral, and engaging experience to their customers. This book provides the design strategy and tactics you need to integrate game mechanics into any kind of consumer-facing website or mobile app. Learn how to use core game concepts, design patterns ...more
Published August 19th 2011 by O'Reilly Media (first published July 25th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Gamification by Design, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gamification by Design

Amanda
Mar 23, 2012 Amanda rated it liked it
Solidly commercial in nature. Lucid without being incandescent. I felt like this is the book you would reach for as a sad Dilbert when your manager says "I heard we could increase our onboarding with a badge system... By next week!" and you don't have the authority to talk them out of it. The infectious enthusiasm and bubbling-over of ideas and possibilities of "Reality Is Broken" does not show up here to mar the pure unsullied pragmatism of this book. While I like pragmatism, I have never felt ...more
Gaston Claret
May 24, 2014 Gaston Claret rated it liked it
Ok book... Has some interesting tips & checklists on how to monetize a social game. Content is somewhat repetitive and doesn't get into too much detail of HOW to design.
Austin Storm
Sep 23, 2012 Austin Storm rated it it was ok
I'm really interested in this topic, and was left cold by this book.

It had the pragmatic enthusiasm of a marketer discovering better ways to sell things, not of an entrepreneur discovering better ways of serving customers.

Odd and misleading anecdote about the impact of leaderboards on Orkut's growth. Scant coverage of the potentially significant drawbacks to leaderboards, which is odd because the founders of Twitter have specifically talked about their decision not to include one.

Comparison of Y
Hiba
Aug 24, 2012 Hiba marked it as started-not-finished
It was a bit boring... It's written as a manual and it lacks very interesting examples. But the information looks useful enough for me to consider coming back to it again while I'm working on a specific design that needs to be gamified.
Erik
Jun 10, 2012 Erik rated it did not like it
Blech, a shallow treatment by someone who is using their knowledge of buzzwords to make a living. If you want your product to have the veneer of "gamification" without actually leveraging what make games compelling, read this book.
Sergio Andrioli
Jun 18, 2013 Sergio Andrioli rated it really liked it
gave me lots of ideas
Erik van Mechelen
I've read several game design and gamification books and to be fair this was written some time ago. It is a quick read with solid examples for workplace motivation and design.
Khang Nguyen
Jan 19, 2016 Khang Nguyen rated it liked it
Came across this book when my friends were all crazy about FourSquare, checking here and there. The book is well organized. (Too) many examples were from FourSquare. Many of the practices were well-known and used wildly in today's applications. If you are looking for a collection of gamification practices out there, this is the right place.

However, I expected more from a book. The mechanisms can be extracted right from the apps that I use everyday. FourSquare uses half of them, and other apps t
Bob Kozik
Jan 15, 2017 Bob Kozik rated it it was amazing
For somebody like myself who's run informational websites for years, but has always struggled to keep user engaged I got a ton our of this book. Its really helped me to abstract the idea of visitors into something more tangible than just anonymous blips of traffic.

Frankly, it put to bed the idea that one my fledgling sites even needs a CMS. Because in the construct of a website who's role is that of an expert system at a point additional content has diminishing returns. To the extent that the g
Vincent
Nov 22, 2011 Vincent rated it really liked it
Great overview of the basic fundamentals of thinking on how you can architect and design incentives to illicit the desired behavior from you users.

Frameworks can be used beyond "gamifying" apps. Having recently read Nudge: Improving Decisions About Health, Wealth, and Happiness by Richard H. Thaler and Prof. Cass R. Sunstein, struck the similarities between the two books.

A great skim for those wanting for ways to think about the psychological profiles of your users.

A great read for those who are
Tbueno
Jan 02, 2012 Tbueno rated it liked it
It is a good compendium of gamification patterns used in successful websites and companies.

I purchased the eletronic version and there are some things that bug me about this book: it has blocks inviting me to go to the same website in EVERY chapter. Apart from that, there is also an sponsored chapter. :-S

Anyway, if you plan to use gamification concepts in your product/website, this book is a must have.
Thai Ly Cuong
Nov 18, 2014 Thai Ly Cuong rated it really liked it
Good books for summarizing gamified techniques. The book helps me to organize concepts and I realized what knowledge i have been missing. The last part about coding and platform can be skip by developers. Anyway, this is an interesting book.
Snezhi
Oct 16, 2016 Snezhi rated it it was ok
The book was ok, but not as informative as I would have liked it to be. It give you some basic inofrmation but it doesn't really help you out with much advice on how to implement the details for your gamified solution.
Alexandr Iscenco
Dec 25, 2015 Alexandr Iscenco rated it liked it
Quite useful guideline for those, who wish to implement gamification on their web resources. The last chapters are a bit technical and code-rich, but it is easy to understand the logic behind the code and use it in web and/or mobile applications.
Igor Artamonov
Apr 07, 2012 Igor Artamonov rated it really liked it
Really good introduction into gamification
Rolandas Razma
Mar 10, 2013 Rolandas Razma rated it it was amazing
One of the best book I read on this topic
Christofer Garner
Understanding how to leverage psychology and technology to drive desired behaviors. Beneficial in product design.
Samantha
Oct 23, 2012 Samantha rated it it was amazing
Awesome. Clear examples, easy to understand, and really explains gamification.
Muhammad Ahmed Siddiqui
Sep 22, 2013 Muhammad Ahmed Siddiqui rated it really liked it
i would have appreciated if it had a practical example .. but still it taught me a lot about gamification
Damion Paul Hart
Feb 09, 2013 Damion Paul Hart rated it liked it
I only give it a middle rating because some of the techniques are nefarious.
Jeromy Peacock
5 stars = Yearly re-read
4 stars = Re-read eventually
3 stars = Very Good
2 stars = OK
1 stars = Pass on this one.
0 stars = Couldn't finish it.
Melnykow
May 23, 2011 Melnykow rated it it was amazing
A fine treatment of how game mechanics work, how different sites and social networks utilize said mechanics, and get you thinking on how to design your own viral game.
Jean
Apr 18, 2012 Jean rated it it was ok
Gabe Zichermann is kinda a blowhard so it was hard to take this book seriously. However, I did get some good insights into our business competitor.
Narayana Rao
Sep 17, 2016 Narayana Rao rated it liked it
This book is a good introduction to various game mechanics. But it doesn't offer any deep understanding into any of them. The examples provided in the book are okay. Could have a been a lot better.
Mrinal Rai
A good start for those who are interested in Gamification. Either creatives or developers, the book significant things to offer for both.
Michael Scott
[TO EXPAND. Strong points: gamification elements; structured approach; extensive examples. Weak points: high-level; coding part felt shallow and just a space-filler.]
Mahmoud Adly
Oct 17, 2011 Mahmoud Adly rated it really liked it
A great book to push an idea into the business world. Although the "coding" part was not engaging for someone like me with zero Ruby experience.
Hunter Johnson
Feb 12, 2013 Hunter Johnson rated it liked it
Fine introduction to key concepts in gamification. Too many web-portal sadebar ads, and the tutorials at the end of the already-slim volume were not for me.
Amazingsomeone
Oct 29, 2016 Amazingsomeone rated it it was amazing
A nice read, I am a big fan of Gabe's work.
Alex
Aug 29, 2013 Alex rated it really liked it
Good for gamifications, really technical though. He could have written more stories and example around it, it will have enhanced the fun of reading.
  • The Gamification of Learning and Instruction: Game-Based Methods and Strategies for Training and Education
  • Rules of Play: Game Design Fundamentals
  • The Mobile Frontier: A Guide for Designing Mobile Experiences
  • Critical Play: Radical Game Design
  • For the Win: How Game Thinking Can Revolutionize Your Business
  • A Theory of Fun for Game Design
  • Neuro Web Design: What Makes Them Click?
  • Dungeons and Desktops: The History of Computer Role-Playing Games
  • Seductive Interaction Design: Creating Playful, Fun, and Effective User Experiences
  • Designing Virtual Worlds
  • Challenges for Game Designers
  • Level Up!: The Guide to Great Video Game Design

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »