Start by marking “Pride & Prejudice : A BabyLit Counting Primer” as Want to Read:
Pride & Prejudice : A BabyLit Counting Primer

Pride & Prejudice : A BabyLit Counting Primer (BabyLit)

4.35 of 5 stars 4.35  ·  rating details  ·  517 ratings  ·  111 reviews
With the perennial popularity of classic writers like Jane Austen and William Shakespeare, Baby Lit™ is a fashionable way to introduce your toddler to the world of classic literature. With clever, simple counting text by Jennifer Adams, paired with stylish design and illustrations by Sugar’s Alison Oliver, Little Miss Austen and Little Master Shakespeare are a must for eve...more
Board Book, 22 pages
Published August 1st 2011 by Gibbs Smith

To ask other readers questions about Pride & Prejudice , please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pride & Prejudice

Enthusiasm by Polly ShulmanJane Austen Stole My Boyfriend by Cora HarrisonI Was Jane Austen's Best Friend by Cora HarrisonProm and Prejudice by Elizabeth EulbergPride & Popularity by Jenni James
Teen novels related to Jane Austen
9th out of 16 books — 11 voters
The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleA Pet Banana by Othen Donald Dale CummingsAn Elephant Is On My House by Othen Donald Dale CummingsBrown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.The Monster at the End of this Book by Jon Stone
Best Toddler Books
185th out of 276 books — 286 voters

More lists with this book...

Kathy Cowley
No child is too young to meet Jane Austen and her masterpiece, Pride and Prejudice. In this picture book, the characters and basic plot of Pride and Prejudice are turned into a "counting primer" (one of those picture books where on the first page you're introduced to the number 1, on the second to the number 2, etc.). Thus we have "1 English Village", "2 Rich Gentlemen" (Mr. Bingley and Mr. Darcy, of course), 5 sisters, and many other delights. Number 10 is one of the funniest--and most fitting-...more
Audra (Unabridged Chick)
Try not to judge me too hard, but I fell in love with these adorable baby board books while babysitting this past weekend, and I was deeply saddened that the children I had knew how to count and stuff. I'm a sucker for things like this, too, even though I don't want to be, and the sampler-esque feel to the Austen cover and the paper doll-style art of both books just charmed me from the start.

So, how nuanced can a counting book be, right? About half of each book is specific to the story (four mar...more
oliviasbooks
Well ... apart from the fact that a bored and bright kid can have an awesome time with every thing that offers colorful illustrations (from food wrappings to street signs) I think that "Little Miss Austen" is one of the worst counting books I've come across. It comes highly recommended as a baby shower present for Darcy-crazy young mums. And since I love my Austen novels a lot, I thought I had to see for myself how the book, that claims to introduce the classic lovestory to the youngest of all...more
Stephanie
So, this is a counting book that tells the story of Pride and Prejudice, it's pretty friggin' awesome. Some highlights...2 rich gentlemen (Bingley and Darcy, of course), 5 sisters, and, my favorite 10...10,000 pounds a year! If you love Pride and Prejudice, you will love listen to your tiny tot count out the highlights...good times...good times...
Kathryn
So adorable and fun! Little ones can enjoy illustrations of ball gowns and horses and ten thousand pound bank notes, Mommy (or Daddy) will appreciate knowing the story they really mean in Austen's story ;-)
Kat
Aug 30, 2011 Kat rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Jane Austen-loving parents w/young children
Recommended to Kat by: Laurel Ann (Austenprose)
If I could, I would own every edition of Pride and Prejudice ever printed in the English language. While I do have annotated, hardcover, paperback, tradeback, ebook, and audiobook versions of my favorite novel, I never thought I'd see the day when a board book would be made from Jane Austen's work. I've read a large number of board books and picture books to my sister's children over the years, and I obviously have my favorites. But I think I've now got a new book to add to that list.

Little Miss...more
Laurel
I have read all of Jane Austen works, many biographies, nonfiction, and oodles of sequels — but an Austen-inspired children’s board book? Whoa! Curious? I was. Don’t ya just love the creativity that our Jane inspires?

When I first heard about Pride & Prejudice: Little Miss Austen (BabyLit) by Jennifer Adams, the same author who wrote the lovely Remarkably Jane: Notable Quotations on Jane Austen, I was quite intrigued. Would this be a retelling of one of my favorite classic novels for very you...more
Leonie
This is the second book in this series we've received as a gift which means we have excellent friends :-)

The pictures are great and the subjects are wonderful 'in jokes' based on Pride & Prejudice. I think my favourite is '4 marriage proposals'.

We will enjoy this book alongside our Alice in Wonderland book of colours.
Carmie
The essence of Pride and Prejudice distilled into a counting book for the preschool set is delightful. This is one of my very favorite board books.
Larissa Langsather
I LOVE THIS BOOK! I love Jane Austen but haven't been able to read a long book because I have young kids. This was just too cute and introduced my 5 year old to Austen. I adore the pictures. They are cartoon like, but very girly with pinks and rose and white. My 3 year old loved the dresses. The baby loves turning the pages. I was so excited when I found this at the library now I need my own copy.
faelinwolf
I feel torn about this book. It's cute, sure. But...do babies need to be introduced to Pride & Prejudice? Also...it's more than a little sexist (10,000 pounds and pretty dresses?). Aren't counting books about animals or something more productive to learning?

I can see this being huge for Austen fans and, like I said, it is cute. But not for me or any babies that I might have in the future...
Emerson
Poor subject for a children's book.

Poorly executed. Bored Emerson to the point of shoving it aside for a book about trucks.

MOOK

Mark gave this book a 1 star.

Now, for the mommy review. This book is awesome! It is a really cute counting book: "...4 marriage proposals....". But Emerson couldn't get into it because he wanted to read about trucks. This book is a 5 star book.
Ami
Nov 05, 2012 Ami rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
Lovely artwork. I think this was the one that was 6 or 7 trees, and I just wanted to look at those drawings of trees forever. I do wish that the two Jane Austen books in the babylit series weren't both counting book. Jane Austen books are hard enough to tell apart as it is.
David
Absolutely brilliant interpretation of one of my favorite Bollywood inspired films. Pride and Prejudice takes you through your numbers and is just perfect for people who don't have the time to suffer through the original text.
Dianna
Tee hee. This is a counting board book using themes from Pride and Prejudice. I got a good giggle out of it, and my two-year-old girl likes it because it's pink. Win-win.
Aneesa
Hard to resist.
Wendy
This seems to me a book for the parents (read: moms who like Colin Firth) to enjoy more than really being for the little ones. I think the concept is cute, the art is pretty, but some of the things chosen for this "counting primer" just don't make a lot of sense for a children's book. Like the focus on Mr. Bingley and Mr. Darcy not just as gentlemen, but as RICH gentlemen, and later the marriage proposals and the pound notes. Yes, I know this is all part of P&P but it still seems odd in this...more
Katie
I loved this board book! Such a cute idea!
Susan
Here’s a new discovery of mine, and I absolutely love them: counting primers of “Pride and Prejudice” and “Romeo and Juliet” – yes, now you can introduce your baby to the classics in the form of these adorable board books.

An excerpt:

1 Balcony

2 Loves

3 People Meet

4 Roses (the Shakespeare quote “that which we call a rose …” is on the opposite page)

You get the idea. The illustrations are really cute as well, and tie in well with the themes of the books.

I just love the idea of these, and wish like an...more
Qnpoohbear
This board book is an adaptation of Pride and Prejudice for babies. Yes, that's right, babies. It's set up as a counting primer, with each number representing something in the story such as 1 English village, 2 rich gentlemen and so on to 10. It's beautifully illustrated on one side with a giant number and a background design that reflects the subject. On the other side of the page is an adorable comic style illustration to provide a visual cue for the number and also to explain the story. See e...more
I’ve seen reviews of this cute children’s counting book of Pride and Prejudice over the past two years and decided it was high time I checked it out for myself as part of the Pride and Prejudice Bicentenary Challenge. I got a copy from our local library through inter-library loan and read it a couple nights ago to my two-year old daughter, Penelope.

Penelope and I both enjoyed the beautiful illustrations in the book. Penelope likes to count and we had a fun time reading through the book and count...more
Jill
I had heard about this book and wondered what the hype was all about. Last night at the bookstore, in the children's board books section, I found a copy, picked it up and read it.

It is a darling counting book with wonderful illustrations. Each number highlights a key point of the Pride and Prejudice story. The conclusion was my favorite, it made me and a friend (to whom I handed the book and told her she had to read it too) laugh out loud.

Every Austen fan wants to introduce a new generation to A...more
jacky
The biblophile in me wants to love these books, but I just can't. I dislike that they are really for adults, and do not focus on what babies and toddlers would like to read. There is something to be said for making a book that will make parents excited to read to their children, but that is a non-issue with literature lovers. This particular one is a counting book, and there are so many other more engaging counting books.
Michelle Witte
The whole series of books is so stinking cute. I adore them all, though Alice in Wonderland: A Colors Primer is probably my favorite. The best thing about this book, at least for me, is the enhanced e-book for iPad and the like. The activities are simple enough for young kids to enjoy, but once you get to the page where you can dress Lizzy in different outfits, I'm pretty sure you'll take over and make the kids watch as you play with it. It's adorable.

*disclaimer: I used to work for the publishe...more
Drew Graham
There are many things to see and count in the world of Elizabeth Bennet.

This book was my first exposure to this brilliant series, and probably my favorite so far. It's a fun, simple introduction to Jane Austen, and also a very stylish counting book. The illustrations are fantastic, and the choices of numbered items are very amusing, especially for fans of Pride and Prejudice . It even manages to fit a good portion of the plot into very few pages and just a little bit of text. I'm not exactly sur...more
Wendy
This is the perfect way to introduce little girls to 'Little Miss Austen'! I found this in a quaint little bookstore, and HAD to buy it. It's just a fun counting book for kids, but with a hilarious twist, going from "1 English village" to "10 thousand pounds". Classic.
Michelle
I think that these board books are completely ridiculous and unrelatable to to babies and toddles. A counting book with "4 Marriage Proposals," and "10,000 Thousand Pounds a year" It's only cool for parents who love and already know the story.
Bethany
Adorable. It was a baby gift for my second little girl. I love the art style. My only critique is it lists five marriage proposals, but technically there are six. The author left out Mr. Collins proposing to Charlotte.
Emjy
En matière d' "austeneries", je pensais avoir à peu près tout vu. Il s'avère finalement que non puisque je suis tombée récemment sur cet album jeunesse pour le moins atypique. Ce livre est l'ouvrage de Jennifer Adams et de l'illustratrice Alison Oliver. Les illustrations, quoique minimalistes, sont soignées et colorées. L'humour, les décors, les costumes et l'esprit du roman sont étonnamment bien retranscrits ... si on le prend au 2ème degré bien sûr.
Un petit album à compter qui a tout à fait s...more
Kristen
I am very much the intended audience for this book. I have always loved Jane Austen--I should love this book and want to buy copies for my future children. But I found myself annoyed by it. I know it's just a counting book, and I'm probably reading too much into it, but it really distilled Austen down into the most basic level: marriage and pretty dresses. And she is about so much more than that! I would hate to give a baby girl the idea that handsome bachelors and 10,000 pounds a years is what...more
  • Cozy Classics: Pride and Prejudice
  • Duck & Goose Find A Pumpkin
  • You Are My Cupcake
  • Little Owl Lost
  • Monsters Love Colors
  • Baby Penguins Everywhere!
  • Hug Time
  • Tea Rex
  • Potty
  • Zombie in Love
  • Nightsong
  • Sense & Sensibility
  • A Birthday for Cow!
Dracula: A BabyLit® Counting Primer Alice in Wonderland: A BabyLit® Colors Primer Jane Eyre: A BabyLit Counting Primer Romeo & Juliet: A BabyLit Counting Primer Sense and Sensibility: A BabyLit Opposites Primer