Start by marking “Pride & Prejudice : A BabyLit Counting Primer” as Want to Read:
Pride & Prejudice : A BabyLit Counting Primer

Pride & Prejudice : A BabyLit Counting Primer (BabyLit Primers)

4.35 of 5 stars 4.35  ·  rating details  ·  652 ratings  ·  131 reviews
With the perennial popularity of classic writers like Jane Austen and William Shakespeare, Baby Lit is a fashionable way to introduce your toddler to the world of classic literature. With clever, simple counting text by Jennifer Adams, paired with stylish design and illustrations by Sugar’s Alison Oliver, Little Miss Austen and Little Master Shakespeare are a must for ever ...more
Board Book, 22 pages
Published August 1st 2011 by Gibbs Smith

To ask other readers questions about Pride & Prejudice , please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pride & Prejudice

Katherine Cowley
No child is too young to meet Jane Austen and her masterpiece, Pride and Prejudice. In this picture book, the characters and basic plot of Pride and Prejudice are turned into a "counting primer" (one of those picture books where on the first page you're introduced to the number 1, on the second to the number 2, etc.). Thus we have "1 English Village", "2 Rich Gentlemen" (Mr. Bingley and Mr. Darcy, of course), 5 sisters, and many other delights. Number 10 is one of the funniest--and most fitting- ...more
Audra (Unabridged Chick)
Try not to judge me too hard, but I fell in love with these adorable baby board books while babysitting this past weekend, and I was deeply saddened that the children I had knew how to count and stuff. I'm a sucker for things like this, too, even though I don't want to be, and the sampler-esque feel to the Austen cover and the paper doll-style art of both books just charmed me from the start.

So, how nuanced can a counting book be, right? About half of each book is specific to the story (four mar
oliviasbooks
Well ... apart from the fact that a bored and bright kid can have an awesome time with every thing that offers colorful illustrations (from food wrappings to street signs) I think that "Little Miss Austen" is one of the worst counting books I've come across. It comes highly recommended as a baby shower present for Darcy-crazy young mums. And since I love my Austen novels a lot, I thought I had to see for myself how the book, that claims to introduce the classic lovestory to the youngest of all ...more
Stephanie
So, this is a counting book that tells the story of Pride and Prejudice, it's pretty friggin' awesome. Some highlights...2 rich gentlemen (Bingley and Darcy, of course), 5 sisters, and, my favorite 10...10,000 pounds a year! If you love Pride and Prejudice, you will love listen to your tiny tot count out the highlights...good times...good times...
Kathryn
So adorable and fun! Little ones can enjoy illustrations of ball gowns and horses and ten thousand pound bank notes, Mommy (or Daddy) will appreciate knowing the story they really mean in Austen's story ;-)
Kat
Aug 30, 2011 Kat rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Jane Austen-loving parents w/young children
Recommended to Kat by: Laurel Ann (Austenprose)
If I could, I would own every edition of Pride and Prejudice ever printed in the English language. While I do have annotated, hardcover, paperback, tradeback, ebook, and audiobook versions of my favorite novel, I never thought I'd see the day when a board book would be made from Jane Austen's work. I've read a large number of board books and picture books to my sister's children over the years, and I obviously have my favorites. But I think I've now got a new book to add to that list.

Little Miss
Laurel
I have read all of Jane Austen works, many biographies, nonfiction, and oodles of sequels — but an Austen-inspired children’s board book? Whoa! Curious? I was. Don’t ya just love the creativity that our Jane inspires?

When I first heard about Pride & Prejudice: Little Miss Austen (BabyLit) by Jennifer Adams, the same author who wrote the lovely Remarkably Jane: Notable Quotations on Jane Austen, I was quite intrigued. Would this be a retelling of one of my favorite classic novels for very you
Leonie
This is the second book in this series we've received as a gift which means we have excellent friends :-)

The pictures are great and the subjects are wonderful 'in jokes' based on Pride & Prejudice. I think my favourite is '4 marriage proposals'.

We will enjoy this book alongside our Alice in Wonderland book of colours.
Elizabeth (Miss Eliza)
OMG, this was so cute and adorable. Loved the illustrations and while it was hard to pick a favorite picture, the dashing young redcoats might win the day...
Carmie
The essence of Pride and Prejudice distilled into a counting book for the preschool set is delightful. This is one of my very favorite board books.
Lily
Stumbled upon this while I was shelving baby books at the library today. 'Twas delightful.
Kelly Howarth
Bought this for my two year old. You are never too young to introduce your daughter to Mr Darcy.
Jeimy
Loved the illustrations!
Cara Byrne
Unlike other titles in this humorous BabyLit board book series, this book is less imaginative and far less engaging than other works. From one to ten, readers count Bennett sisters, soldiers, and even bills, all relating to _Pride and Prejudice_. And, of course, there are plenty of Mr. Darcy references in this text. I do appreciate how some of the objects are slightly different from the others (for instance, one fancy ball gown is upside down), but counting objects that loosely relate the novel ...more
Larissa Langsather
I LOVE THIS BOOK! I love Jane Austen but haven't been able to read a long book because I have young kids. This was just too cute and introduced my 5 year old to Austen. I adore the pictures. They are cartoon like, but very girly with pinks and rose and white. My 3 year old loved the dresses. The baby loves turning the pages. I was so excited when I found this at the library now I need my own copy.
faelinwolf
I feel torn about this book. It's cute, sure. But...do babies need to be introduced to Pride & Prejudice? Also...it's more than a little sexist (10,000 pounds and pretty dresses?). Aren't counting books about animals or something more productive to learning?

I can see this being huge for Austen fans and, like I said, it is cute. But not for me or any babies that I might have in the future...
Emerson
Poor subject for a children's book.

Poorly executed. Bored Emerson to the point of shoving it aside for a book about trucks.

MOOK

Mark gave this book a 1 star.

Now, for the mommy review. This book is awesome! It is a really cute counting book: "...4 marriage proposals....". But Emerson couldn't get into it because he wanted to read about trucks. This book is a 5 star book.
Ami
Nov 05, 2012 Ami rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
Lovely artwork. I think this was the one that was 6 or 7 trees, and I just wanted to look at those drawings of trees forever. I do wish that the two Jane Austen books in the babylit series weren't both counting book. Jane Austen books are hard enough to tell apart as it is.
David
Absolutely brilliant interpretation of one of my favorite Bollywood inspired films. Pride and Prejudice takes you through your numbers and is just perfect for people who don't have the time to suffer through the original text.
Dianna
Tee hee. This is a counting board book using themes from Pride and Prejudice. I got a good giggle out of it, and my two-year-old girl likes it because it's pink. Win-win.
Katie
I loved this board book! Such a cute idea!
Aneesa
Hard to resist.
Susan
Here’s a new discovery of mine, and I absolutely love them: counting primers of “Pride and Prejudice” and “Romeo and Juliet” – yes, now you can introduce your baby to the classics in the form of these adorable board books.

An excerpt:

1 Balcony

2 Loves

3 People Meet

4 Roses (the Shakespeare quote “that which we call a rose …” is on the opposite page)

You get the idea. The illustrations are really cute as well, and tie in well with the themes of the books.

I just love the idea of these, and wish like an
QNPoohBear
This board book is an adaptation of Pride and Prejudice for babies. Yes, that's right, babies. It's set up as a counting primer, with each number representing something in the story such as 1 English village, 2 rich gentlemen and so on to 10. It's beautifully illustrated on one side with a giant number and a background design that reflects the subject. On the other side of the page is an adorable comic style illustration to provide a visual cue for the number and also to explain the story. See e ...more
I’ve seen reviews of this cute children’s counting book of Pride and Prejudice over the past two years and decided it was high time I checked it out for myself as part of the Pride and Prejudice Bicentenary Challenge. I got a copy from our local library through inter-library loan and read it a couple nights ago to my two-year old daughter, Penelope.

Penelope and I both enjoyed the beautiful illustrations in the book. Penelope likes to count and we had a fun time reading through the book and count
Jill
I had heard about this book and wondered what the hype was all about. Last night at the bookstore, in the children's board books section, I found a copy, picked it up and read it.

It is a darling counting book with wonderful illustrations. Each number highlights a key point of the Pride and Prejudice story. The conclusion was my favorite, it made me and a friend (to whom I handed the book and told her she had to read it too) laugh out loud.

Every Austen fan wants to introduce a new generation to A
jacky
The biblophile in me wants to love these books, but I just can't. I dislike that they are really for adults, and do not focus on what babies and toddlers would like to read. There is something to be said for making a book that will make parents excited to read to their children, but that is a non-issue with literature lovers. This particular one is a counting book, and there are so many other more engaging counting books.
Michelle Witte
The whole series of books is so stinking cute. I adore them all, though Alice in Wonderland: A Colors Primer is probably my favorite. The best thing about this book, at least for me, is the enhanced e-book for iPad and the like. The activities are simple enough for young kids to enjoy, but once you get to the page where you can dress Lizzy in different outfits, I'm pretty sure you'll take over and make the kids watch as you play with it. It's adorable.

*disclaimer: I used to work for the publishe
Drew Graham
There are many things to see and count in the world of Elizabeth Bennet.

This book was my first exposure to this brilliant series, and probably my favorite so far. It's a fun, simple introduction to Jane Austen, and also a very stylish counting book. The illustrations are fantastic, and the choices of numbered items are very amusing, especially for fans of Pride and Prejudice . It even manages to fit a good portion of the plot into very few pages and just a little bit of text. I'm not exactly su
Wendy
This is the perfect way to introduce little girls to 'Little Miss Austen'! I found this in a quaint little bookstore, and HAD to buy it. It's just a fun counting book for kids, but with a hilarious twist, going from "1 English village" to "10 thousand pounds". Classic.
  • Cozy Classics: Pride and Prejudice
  • Hug Time
  • The Further Tale of Peter Rabbit
  • Vampirina Ballerina
  • The Children Who Loved Books
  • Baby Penguins Everywhere!

BabyLit Primers (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Dracula: A BabyLit® Counting Primer
  • Romeo & Juliet: A BabyLit Counting Primer
  • Jane Eyre: A BabyLit Counting Primer
  • Sherlock Holmes in the Hound of the Baskervilles: A BabyLit® Sounds Primer
  • Anna Karenina: A BabyLit® Fashion Primer
Dracula: A BabyLit® Counting Primer Alice in Wonderland: A BabyLit® Colors Primer Jane Eyre: A BabyLit Counting Primer Sense and Sensibility: A BabyLit Opposites Primer Romeo & Juliet: A BabyLit Counting Primer