Start by marking “Eating for Life: Your Guide to Great Health, Fat Loss and Increased Energy!” as Want to Read:
Eating for Life: Your Guide to Great Health, Fat Loss and Increased Energy!

Eating for Life: Your Guide to Great Health, Fat Loss and Increased Energy!

Did you truly enjoy the food you ate today? Do you really like the way you look and feel? Are you consistently enjoying great health and high energy?
Bill Phillips, author of the #1 New York Times bestseller Body-for-LIFE, believes your answer to all of the above questions should be, "Yes!" He feels that food should be a source of pure pleasure. A source of positive, abunda
Published November 26th 2003 by High Point Media (first published February 1st 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Eating for Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eating for Life

The Joy of Cooking by Irma S. RombauerHow to Cook Everything by Mark BittmanMastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia ChildBetter Homes and Gardens New Cook Book by Better Homes and GardensMy Greek Traditional Cook Book 1 by Anna Othitis
Best Cookbooks
350th out of 1,012 books — 991 voters

More lists with this book...

Pamela(AllHoney)
The information was not new to me. I've read a lot of it on the internet. But good info for the most part. Recipes look good and I plan on trying a few.
Tom
Jun 05, 2012 Tom rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wellness
This is a cookbook. And I can say without qualification ... IF you want to lose some lbs.? Read and follow Phillips' plan and recipe. It works, it's good, and if one takes the time to follow and prepare the excellent and diverse recipes ... those lbs. will go off. And with some regular cal-burning exercise.
Susan
Eating for Life by Bill Phillips is a companion book of recipes to the Body-for-LIFE program. Early chapters explain how and why to eat healthy and nutritious food, followed by chapters of recipes for dinner, dessert, breakfast, lunch, and midmeals. Midmeals are the morning snack, afternoon snack and evening snack (10am, 4pm, 10pm). These are times when energy drops (on other diets), and people reach for donuts, chips or cookies. Eating for Life provides delicious and easy recipes with the appro ...more
Lindy
Sep 13, 2010 Lindy rated it really liked it
The bulk of this book consists of delicious (healthy) looking recipes, however, Phillips briefly describes how to "eat for life." I borrowed this book from the library, but would like to own it for the recipes (hint to John).
Angelyn
Feb 18, 2014 Angelyn rated it really liked it
My kids can cook out of this book and I love the philosophy behind the recipes. It's the only way I have every lost weight. The recipes do seem repetitious sometimes though.
Lisa (Harmonybites)
I was never overweight until I hit my teens--then I struggled for decades with an increasing weight problem that got worse with every diet. I'd collect diets and diet books, Scarsdale, Rice Diet among others, all promising 20 pounds of weight loss within two weeks--and you know what, I succeeded in that. Problem was, that was a weight loss I couldn't sustain, not even long enough to get to goal weight and each time I'd fall away I'd get even fatter. Body for Life, the parent book, made a big dif ...more
Ellen
Jul 29, 2013 Ellen rated it really liked it
I like Bill Phillips' style. It is easygoing and straightforward. It's easy to imagine that I'm sitting in a conference or a workshop of some kind listening to him talk. I believe that much of what he preaches is based on true principles that most anyone can apply in their own lives, even those who, like me, live a lifestyle very different from his. I like how he talks about choice and accountability. I like how he summarizes scientific research into nuggets of information that anyone can unders ...more
Danielle
Apr 30, 2008 Danielle rated it it was ok
I agree with almost everything the author says, but I really dislike the writing style and feel that the whole book could have been written in about one chapter, plus an appendix for recipes. And I think I already knew most of the stuff in there, although some of the ideas were a little different. I like the portion descriptions, and the admonishment against any kind of radical dieting- I believe that wholeheartedly. The recipes look pretty good, but I haven't tried them yet. I was turned off by ...more
Jessica
Dec 31, 2009 Jessica rated it really liked it
The recipes look fabulous and according to my niece they are. I was doing great on Body For Life...for about 3 weeks, until I couldn't gag down one more protein shake or one more bite of grilled chicken. I think this book would have saved me. I am not going to go back on an official Body For Life diet, but instead eat healthy portions and use these recipes to make healthy dinners and serve to the whole family. I still believe in the method, but I tend to go crazy overboard and then burn out. I l ...more
Kelley
Nov 11, 2009 Kelley rated it really liked it
My husband and I are both following Bill Phillips' 12-week Body For Life program. This book is a great resource for us. In it, he spends more time discussing the eating program (Body for Life spends more time on the workouts) and helps a lot. Even if you're not doing Body for Life, this book is amazing. It's a smart, healthy, easy, no-nonsense way to eat that can boost your energy levels within days and transform your body within months. We intend to eat this way for the rest of our lives. The b ...more
Jun 18, 2008 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-bookshelf
I've read my fair share of diet and health books in my day but this is my hands-down favorite. It's a big book and is only available in hardback but is worth every penny. Bill Phillips discusses food, America's problems with it, diets and the problems with those, and then the simple guidelines to: eat for life. The rest of the book shows before and after stories of those who have followed his diet and exercise regime (book: Body for Life) as well as a whole, whole lot of great, easy-breezy recip ...more
Christine
Apr 30, 2015 Christine rated it it was amazing
Love this book...so many good recipes. Great variety and my kids even love the recipes!
V.S. Carnes
Feb 09, 2011 V.S. Carnes rated it it was amazing
This is the best cookbook I've ever seen! We do not go shopping without it. Since my husband does a lot of the cooking--whereas I do the baking--the kids and I jokingly refer to this book as his Bible.
Everything tastes great in this book--everthing. The chili recipe alone is worth the cost of the book. Not only for health nuts or bodybuilders. Big proportions, low cal. We always have leftovers--that do not stay long in the fridge. And it's healthy. Go figure! Literally ;)
Rebecca
May 15, 2008 Rebecca rated it really liked it
I rated this four stars because the recipes I've tried from the book were great. They even pleased my 10 year old who claims to hate anything healthy. However, the book has too much "filler" and alot of common sense info that I already knew. The recipes within are straight-forward, healthy dishes with uncomplicated ingredients. My son prepared a few of the recipes on his own and was very happy with the results.
Kelley Wilson
Aug 07, 2010 Kelley Wilson rated it it was amazing
This book is life changing. I have spent my life in a diet mentality. Everything in this book makes so much sense. I can really hear the "author's voice" and eventhough this book is as big as a college textbook, it reads like a novel. It is jammed pack with healthy easy recipes, success stories, and meal plans. I am ready to also read Bill's other book, Body for Life. Here's to a healthy life.
Brittney
Jan 30, 2009 Brittney rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE - America nees to be healthy!
Recommended to Brittney by: My kick ass hubby, Golden
Can I just tell you how excited I am for these receipes?! I'm not a cook and all of them are easy, printed big and most are under an hour. The chapters before the receipes were encouraging and I love his attitude of here it is and it's simple so take it or leave it. I love being in shape, feeling healthy and not having to pick apart every nutrition facts.
Love it. Bill - love you too.
Lauren
Aug 11, 2008 Lauren rated it liked it
Nothing spectacular, but some interesting ideas - like putting maple syrup on bananas and heating it all up in a pan. Then use it as a topping on low-fat cottage cheese. Half the points of ice cream!

The green chile recipe wasn't anything groundbreaking. When all was said and done, I didn't even notice the addition of gravy to the broth.
Natalie
Jan 12, 2010 Natalie rated it liked it
This is a really good concept for a diet, and I was able to stick to it strictly for about a month. I lost weight, and felt healthy. However, the recipes aren't really good things to make for the rest of my family, and it was tough to be making 2 different meals every night! So I haven't stuck with it as I originally wanted to.
Lisa
Aug 26, 2009 Lisa rated it liked it
I liked that all the recipes were healthy, I only made 2 of them. One was very bad tasting and the other was just good. After that it was due back at the library. I really don't want to make any more recipes. I'm scared they'll end up as the meatloaf that was awful!
Mandy
Jun 07, 2012 Mandy rated it really liked it
This is a must for the cookbook collection. Many fantastic recipes are located in these pages and, if followed, can be absolutely life changing! I have personally purchased this book for presents! A must have!
Chelsey
Aug 12, 2012 Chelsey rated it it was ok
DIdn't really provide any nutritional info. The recipe section was the best part, but even those will have to be modified. I was surprised to see white flour and sugar substitutes included in the ingredients.
Janell
Oct 12, 2009 Janell rated it it was amazing
There are only about 70 pages to read in this book. The rest of the pages are filled with fabulous recipes. This book has made the eating portion of the BLF program much more clear and easy to follow.
Heidi
Jan 02, 2011 Heidi rated it it was amazing
Love this cookbook. Wish I owned it instead of checking it out from the library...but, still love it! The recipes are easy and yummy. I would suggest this cookbook to anyone looking to be healthy.
Twiggy Strauss
Sep 06, 2007 Twiggy Strauss rated it it was ok
I just breezed through this, seemed pretty straightforward information- much of which I already knew. Although I didnt try the recipies, I copied some down that looked good. Body for life is better.
Yvette
Apr 17, 2009 Yvette rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, food
The book part is not overly impressive, though the recipes were just the right place to start leaning how to make a decent meal.

Oh, and if you make the enchiladas, use green sauce.
Angeline
Jun 05, 2008 Angeline rated it really liked it
Not very many vegetarian meals, but I swapped tofu for chicken in many. The Tortilla Avocado soup is crowd pleaser. Great 'healthy' dessert recipes. I love chocolate pudding!
Heather
Jun 11, 2008 Heather rated it liked it
I love and use so many recipes from this book. This book gives great recipes for balanced and healthy meals. Everything that I've made from this book has been yum-yummy!
Ann Hudspeth
Jul 10, 2010 Ann Hudspeth rated it really liked it
Good, easy recipes. Favorite learning: canned pineapple is great with tuna fish. Hey, you eat your mahi-mahi with mango chutney - this is the quick version.
Ladewitt
Oct 06, 2008 Ladewitt rated it really liked it
Recommended to Ladewitt by: A friend from work.
This is a great cook book that goes with the "Body For Life" book. It is a little expensive, but it has some great healthy recipies.
John
Jul 18, 2009 John rated it really liked it
Great book, it builds off of the same framework as his "Eating for Life" book, and the recipe's are very easy to make, and taste good.
  • Body for Life for Women: A Woman's Plan for Physical and Mental Transformation
  • Taste of Home Comfort Food Diet Cookbook: Lose Weight with 433 Foods You Crave!
  • ABS Diet for Women
  • Six Weeks to OMG
  • The Volumetrics Eating Plan: Techniques and Recipes for Feeling Full on Fewer Calories
  • The Fat Smash Diet: The Last Diet You'll Ever Need
  • SuperFoods Rx: Fourteen Foods That Will Change Your Life
  • The Eat-Clean Diet: Fast Fat Loss That Lasts Forever!
  • 500 Low-Carb Recipes: 500 Recipes, from Snacks to Dessert, That the Whole Family Will Love
  • Eating Well After Weight Loss Surgery: Over 140 Delicious Low-Fat High-Protein Recipes to Enjoy in the Weeks, Months and Years After Surgery
  • Eat What You Love: More Than 300 Incredible Recipes Low in Sugar, Fat, and Calories
  • The 5 Factor Diet
  • The Zone: A Dietary Road Map to Lose Weight Permanently
  • Prescription for Natural Cures
  • This Is Why You're Fat (And How to Get Thin Forever): Eat More, Cheat More, Lose More--and Keep the Weight Off
  • I Can't Believe It's Not Fattening!: Over 150 Ridiculously Easy Recipes for the Super Busy
  • The G.I. Diet: The Easy, Healthy Way to Permanent Weight Loss