Start by marking “Search & Destroy: Why You Can't Trust Google Inc” as Want to Read:
Search & Destroy: Why You Can't Trust Google Inc

Search & Destroy: Why You Can't Trust Google Inc

3.41  ·  Rating Details  ·  41 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
This is the other side of the Google story. In Search & Destroy, Google expert Scott Cleland, shows that the world's most powerful company is not who it pretends to be.

Google pretends to be a harmless lamb, but chose a full-size model of a Tyrannosaurus Rex as its mascot. Beware the T-Rex in sheep's clothing.

Google has acquired far more information, both public and p

Published February 9th 2012 by Telescope Books (first published May 4th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Search & Destroy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Search & Destroy

Lee Herman
Mar 14, 2013 Lee Herman rated it did not like it
This book is a polemic. Styling himself as "the world's leading Google critic" in his dust jacket bio, Scott Cleland certainly has an ax to grind. Sadly, his points about Google's bad side get lost in vitriol, absurd jumps in reasoning in lieu of logic and misinterpretation of many of his sources make the book almost unreadable. It took me multiple tries to get through the book because it is so badly written. It is repetitive enough that the author could have covered the material in half the spa ...more
Stephanie
Nov 03, 2011 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Scott Cleland has bravely done what few have the nerve to do: publicly expose the secrets of a tyrant. Google Inc is a multi-billion dollar company extending their tentacles into every possible corner of commerce and the Internet as possible, and effectively taking over. The general public as a whole does not realize the hold this seemingly innocent Internet-based company has over their personal information and the sneaky ways they gather and archive such private details of our daily lives- incl ...more
Blog on Books
Jul 14, 2011 Blog on Books rated it really liked it
There have been many books about the internet behemoth that is Google, but none that so explicitly expose the actual and potential dangers of a single company being the world’s foremost organizer of the earth’s information – until now.

Scott Cleland is considered one of the leading critics of Google and has testified before Congress on numerous occasions on companies like Google, Enron, WorldCom and others. He is also the former U.S. Deputy Assistant Secretary of State for Information and Communi
Hilary
Oct 16, 2012 Hilary rated it really liked it
This XKCD fairly neatly summarizes one of the points I'm taking away from this book. Much of the author's criticism is because Google hasn't been held to the same standards as, say, Microsoft. My opinion is, like Walmart, they started with good intentions but have got very, very sidetracked.

Google has been allowed, repeatedly, to get away with things, to knowingly ignore or push past legal boundaries, leaving a path that other companies might follow, and then when called on it say "Oops, we'll f
David Geller
Dec 12, 2012 David Geller rated it it was amazing
Back when Google was just getting started, it simply provided the best search engine that was available at the time. Unlike many of the other search engines, Google was able to find pages that were highly relevant to the search terms, and we all stared with amazement at Google’s ability to suggest the “right” search term, even if we misspelled the ones we typed in.

Fast forward several years ahead.

Nearly all other search engines have fallen by the wayside, and Google is one of the last ones stand
Michael
Dec 10, 2011 Michael rated it really liked it
Very enlightening (and scary) book. I've always thought there was something spooky about Google but could not put my finger on what it was. I will never, ever, trust Google now that I have seen what their mission is (out of their own mouth). The title of this book may sound like conspiracy theory tripe, but the book is too well documented to be theory.

There was some repetition (points made more than once with the same evidence) but the way the book is broken into Parts, I see why he did it: No m
I wanted to like this book more; I think the author had some interesting and relevent points to make on the role of Google in the future of technological development. Unfortunately, Search & Destroy came across as more of a collection of polemical essays rather than a coherent work; it's repetitive and doesn't expand on various topics to the degree I'd like. I think it would have been better served by an entire section devoted to the philosophical background of Brin, Page, and others at Goog ...more
Erica
Jan 11, 2012 Erica rated it it was ok
Really poorly written. Every single section follows the exact same structure. And it's super repetitive. Did I mention it's repetitive? It's really repetitive.
But there are a number of important points made here, and made clearly.
I have to admit that by the end I was laughing out loud at some of the conclusions, though. Not to say they are wrong or right, but because of the bad writing.
Gideon
Apr 25, 2015 Gideon rated it it was ok
Shelves: library
I agree with about 70% of what Cleland says here, but it's so poorly written that it becomes distracting. This reads more like a first draft than a finished manuscript.
Laura marked it as to-read
May 27, 2016
Elinor
Elinor is currently reading it
Mar 18, 2016
Quincy
Quincy marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2016
Greg
Greg rated it liked it
Feb 21, 2016
Hawkgirl
Hawkgirl marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2016
Docsam
Docsam rated it liked it
Dec 29, 2015
Gary Johnson
Gary Johnson marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2016
tricia
tricia marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2015
Esther Greenwood
Esther Greenwood marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2015
Jevon Vaughn
Jevon Vaughn rated it it was amazing
Jul 21, 2015
Ryan Betesh
Ryan Betesh marked it as to-read
May 28, 2015
Jonathan
Jonathan rated it really liked it
May 03, 2015
Asthagord
Asthagord marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Social21
Social21 marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Earl Lewis
Earl Lewis rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2015
Josh Peterson
Josh Peterson marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
Donald Handley
Donald Handley rated it it was amazing
Dec 28, 2014
Quinn
Quinn marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014