Start by marking “Flick” as Want to Read:
Flick

Flick

A modern-day Romeo and Juliet with a voice reminiscent of the rawness of 1970s punk, this knockout coming-of-age story is told by its charming protagonist Will Flicker
 Set in one town in the northeast of England, this is the story of a brilliant, unforgettable moment in the life of two teenagers: a sweet taste of young life, a love letter to hope. Marooned by a lack of edu
Published October 1st 2011 by Beautiful Books

To ask other readers questions about Flick, please sign up.

Abigail Tarttelin The images they use for book photography are usually stock images. It did have the same image as Uses for Boys! But Simon & Schuster realized and…moreThe images they use for book photography are usually stock images. It did have the same image as Uses for Boys! But Simon & Schuster realized and so they changed it to this new pic. I really like both photos, but at first I was sad to see the old one go, because I thought it was really cute! Also, sorry I'm replying a year later - only just seen this!!!(less)

Gitte TotallyBookedBlog
May 29, 2015 Gitte TotallyBookedBlog rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
description

‘…its true, we know what we lack – why d’you think we’re wankered half the time?’

Sometimes you read a book and it hits you in the heart unexpectedly. Something incredibly hopeless and ugly can actually have beauty and meaning. Be a life lesson and a discovery.

Flick our main male character tells a story that’s incredibly real, powerful and uncomfortable. It’s also a photographic snapshot of the now – the today. The actualisation of a certain demographic and the societal and cultural aspects that
Michelle
Mar 24, 2015 Michelle rated it really liked it
Will ‘Flick’ Flicker gives us a sort of twisted take on a coming of age novel where we are drawn into the mind of a fifteen year old stoner (among other drugs) as he discovers a very important life lesson, buried beneath the philosophical rambling.

This story felt, at times, like the most amazing book and yet, I was almost underwhelmed. I felt like I had a contact high as I read along. I could almost see myself in my teen angst fueled youth, with a joint pressed between my lips; weighing the big
Ali *The Black Heart*
Jan 16, 2015 Ali *The Black Heart* rated it it was ok
Okay...where to start.

First, the synopsis claims "A modern-day Romeo and Juliet with a voice reminiscent of the rawness of 1970s punk" - and I was really excited to start this book after reading that little tidbit! Unfortunately, this is not the feel I got from Flick. At all. Ever. At any point. Nope.

Second, the synopsis also claims "lack of education". Uh..no. Again, just nope. He goes to class, he gets good grades, he goes on these ridiculous tangents that are absolutely, totally, 100% meaning
Angela
Aug 30, 2011 Angela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have to be clear here. I am quite fussy when it comes to reading new books, in fact i tend to read old favourites over and over because i trust them and the reaction i get to reading them.

When i received this book, the first thing you notice is the quality of the book. You flick through the book, checking the font size, how many pages there are, how heavy the book feels.

The font size is perfect (especially when reading in bed or sneaking in a quiet few mins on the bus), the pages are enough no
Lauren
Oct 16, 2012 Lauren rated it it was amazing
I have passed Flick in my library at least 200 times. I'm not even joking, I saw this book every time I visited my branch. Based on the cover, I thought it was a book about Flickr, that photo-hosting website thing. I don't know. I thought Abigail Tarttelin was talking about social-networking sites and technology and how it affects youngsters. I was wrong. I was the wrongest girl in america. Maybe even the world.

Flick tells the tale of Will Flicker, an attractive, cocky, smart, FIFTEEN YEAR OLD
Abigail Tarttelin
Jul 23, 2012 Abigail Tarttelin rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Recommends it for: Fans of comedy, gritty northern drama, wank jokes
I found this a riveting, touching, hilarious, irreverent, but somehow familiar read when I was editing it.

Thanks to everyone who has reviewed! I am joining Good Reads a little late, it's July 2012, but I'm excited to read books I'm recommended and I hope everyone enjoys Flick and takes something away from it!
Aleena
Sep 09, 2012 Aleena rated it it was amazing
Flick was purchased by me at Waterstones in Oxford. As a Canadian visiting England for the first time, I wanted a taste of Contemporary YA fiction in the country. Flick surpassed all my expectations and more.
The writing is engaging and Flick's voice draws you completely into the story. The love between Flick and Rainbow was so beautifully described.
The reason this book gets a five-star rating from me is solely because of this one passage:

Think of that person you knew when you were a kid, who you
Maarya
Apr 08, 2013 Maarya rated it liked it
I think I would have enjoyed this book far more had it been narrated by Rainbow instead of Flick. I think her perspective would have been more enjoyable as she is by far the more interesting character (an orphaned girl named Rainbow adopted by an interracial lesbian couple? HELLO). Flick was not nearly as likeable, though I'm not sure he's supposed to be,and his tone is just too cynical for me to enjoy (do adults think this is what all teenagers sound like? Maybe it's just me that feels like tha ...more
Rizal
Jun 08, 2015 Rizal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Genesis Sheli (Latte Nights Reviews)
This 2.5 coffee mugs review was first published on Latte Nights Reviews.

Flick is a good story of a fifteen-year-old that has been dealt with a black card but he keeps thriving everyday to make it through.

It’s really hard for me to connect with male POV’s, which I have stated before and this is one of those books. I believe that if Flick had been in Rainbow’s POV, I may have enjoyed it a lot. Like I said above, this is a good story that I just enjoyed and I wish it had been a little bit more fast
Natasha at Book Baristas
Full review on blog WITH GIVEAWAY: http://www.bookbaristas.org/2015/06/r...

"The thing is, Flick, life wasn’t meant to be perfect. Perfect is a concept human beings created because we are intrinsically afraid."

I am so happy to have finally read another book by Abigail Tarttelin. I thoroughly enjoyed this read about a boy named William Flicker and the rollercoaster that is his teenage life. I don’t know if I love Flick (the character, not the book), or even entirely like him, but I did like livin
Lisa Bentley
May 15, 2015 Lisa Bentley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having previously read (and loved) Golden Boy by Abigail Tarttelin I was excited to see what her previous novel had to offer. Fortunately for me, Flick is an excellent story.

Without trying to make comparisons between this and Golden Boy (because believe me it would be a difficult thing to do – it would be like comparing a tree with a unicorn) I do have to comment on the growth that you can see in Tarttelin’s writing. That is not to say that Flick isn’t well written – it is ridiculously good – bu
Steven Gaskin
May 26, 2011 Steven Gaskin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Flick is a snapshot of the life of Will "Flick" Flicker, a boy living in a small town in the north-east of England, approaching his GCSEs and with little clue as to what to do next. Being smarter than the friends he surrounds himself with - or so he thinks - the book is a commentary not just on his life, but on the state of being 15, clueless, and free of ambition, with nothing but Friday-night drug and alcopop binges to get you through the week.

I thought it would be an interesting book in that
Heeta
Feb 12, 2015 Heeta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
3.5 Sweet Stars for a Goodreads Giveaway

Now with the review, I honesty don't know what to say. I finished it and sat on it for four days and still nothing, I can't come up with anything. But I will try my best.

Initially I was going to give this book two stars (see Ali *The Black Heart* Review) because I feel exactly like the person mentioned in the brackets. (Ps- sorry Ali.... for the random shout out)

But then I thought, goodreads giveaways books also deserves me to be a bit unbiased so to so sp
Alleah Boisvert
Jun 03, 2015 Alleah Boisvert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this book off the library's "new additions" shelf not really knowing what to expect. First of all, the cover art is really cool. "Flick" kind of reminded me of a more emotional and impassioned version of Nick McDonell's "Twelve". Fast-paced, fearless, shocking, and crude; but with all of the sweet emotions and romance that didn't come with Twelve.

Tarttelin is a very talented writer. Although some of the English slang threw me off a bit, Tarttelin's ability to narrate a male main charact
Eva
May 22, 2015 Eva rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The reader really understands the angst that Will Flick experiences as a 15 year old teen growing up in a working class neighbourhood. He has his peers to deal with and also tries to focus on his relationship with his girlfriend Rainbow. The language used by Will and his "friends" provides a sense of their class background. Although the story line is not linear, we appreciate that daily life is obviously not neat and tidy.

We may wonder if Flick's aimlessness is due to his upbringing and this as
Kelly
Mar 22, 2015 Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Disclosure: I won this book on goodreads.

This was the first book I have ever read by Abigail Tarrttelin. It was a very easy YA read. Very easy to get into and was a quick read for me.

I had a bit of a hard time connecting with the setting. But all in all I did enjoy the book.

Will AKA Flick is a 15 year old boy stuck in small town life. Living weeks through getting stoned and school and weekends drinking and doing drugs in the 'fast lane' with his friends. He has lots of ambition but like most 1
Bernice
May 27, 2015 Bernice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I won a copy of this book through Goodreads First Reads, courtesy of Simon & Schuster Canada.

This is a coming of age story set in England about a teenage-age stoner. At first, he has no goals or ambition after high school, and just living his life day to day. Then he meets a girl named Rainbow, who gives him a different perspective on life. Things are great, until he encounters a problem somewhat related to his old way of living.

At first, the novel started out strong, and I enjoyed the begin
Raye
Feb 13, 2015 Raye rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, won
When I found out that I won an ARC of this book from Goodreads I was super excited. When it showed up I had to start reading it right away. I couldn’t wait. Unfortunately, I didn’t love it. I guess I just wasn’t in the mood for it because it took me two weeks to read it. Flick seems like it would be a fast read. It’s not too long and it’s good. I just couldn’t stick with it for some reason. It took me so long to finish.

Normally I love characters like Flick and love books like this one, but Flick
Briana Pacheco
I really don't know what to say about this book. I laughed, I liked it, it was...okay. I don't know. I couldn't connect with anyone but I liked the story. No rating because I still don't know how I feel about it. Beautiful cover though!

Flick is smart and smokes like a chimney. He's fifteen...I guess that put me off. This book takes place in England so yay! Not much else I can say about him.

Rainbow is a cool name. She was fun. I think I would have enjoyed this more if it were her POV.

Ugh, I wish
Trisha
Feb 12, 2015 Trisha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won a copy of this book thru a first reads giveaway. It was a fairly quick read, I did find myslef kinda skimming over some pages rather than fully reading each word. Not to say that I skipped pages but just went over them quickly.

It was interesting reading a YA novel from a male point of view. I have just started reading this genre and it was enjoyable. Some areas were harder to follow along the story line though. Life in a small seaside town in England doesn't seem that far off from a small
Kimberly
I received a copy of this book free from Goodreads giveaway.

Teenage sarcasm at it's best. A coming-of-age story from a male p.o.v. with realistic events in a teenager's life. Written in a "matter of fact" manner with a great ending. Many LOL moments.

I do hope Abigail Tarttelin writes a sequel based on Rainbow-very interest in reading more about her character.

Recommended to those who don't worry about "age" genres for books. Entertaining read.
Forever Young Adult
Graded By: Jenny
Cover Story: I'm Taking This Cover And Putting It Over ALL The Books
BFF Charm: With Trepidation
Swoonworthy Scale: 7
Talky Talk: Trainspotting, Jr.
Bonus Factor: Marske-by-the-sea
Relationship Status: I Met This Book In Detention

Read the full book report here.
Richie
Aug 29, 2011 Richie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a male, I'm reading this book and start to think - this author knows man thoughts and feelings (physically as well as mentally) better than me - a man! From self image, provocative thoughts, emotions, to sex itself, all is covered in great realism from both teenage genders point-of-view in the complex and and simplistic way that is life...brilliant!
Chandler
Jun 13, 2012 Chandler rated it it was amazing
Flick is a nakedly honest tale of a young boy in London dealing with his first love. It was sweet, funny, brutal, and completely addicting. It's hard not to fall in love with Flick in all his quirkiness and charm. It isn't cliched or predictable, it is a complete original -- just like Flick. It's perfect if you're looking for a quick summer read (literally -- I read it in an afternoon)
kista
Nov 10, 2012 kista rated it really liked it
A wonderful light-read book to just carry with you and have a laugh from time to time. The next level problems of teenagers in the UK are presented and they are made very real and close to life. Different social groups are presented and everything is linked to today's life- the music, the slang and everything else.
Amazing to read!
Karina
Sep 06, 2011 Karina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't like reading. I normally give up after the first chapter of any book but this one is brilliant and I loved it all. It gives a great insight into a teenage boy's mind which is a rare thing to encounter and totally fascinating to experience.
D.C.
May 07, 2015 D.C. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Received from NetGalley for Review

This was a fun read. Would definitely pick up again. The only way I think the story could have been better was to get it from Rainbow's perspective. Regardless I enjoyed it.
Mirlou
May 22, 2015 Mirlou rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tartellin has a clear writing. The characters and their stories are interesting. The life of the hero is not easy and we follow it through the choices he makes.
Rhonda
I won this book from a goodreads first reads giveaway. Thank you Simon& Schuster Canada.

I really enjoyed this book but I do wish it was told from Rainbows point of view.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Adrian and the Tree of Secrets
  • The Age
  • The Canal
  • The Blue Lawn
  • Caught Up In You (Caught Up, #1)
  • The African Shore
  • The Knife Drawer
  • Down In the Valley (Green Valley, #1)
  • Riot
  • Monoceros
  • A Fool's Errand (The Gypsy King #2)
  • Bento's Sketchbook
  • One Funeral (No Weddings, #2)
  • November Sky
Hello! I'm Abby. I love Buffy The Vampire Slayer and writing books!

I'm the author of Golden Boy about intersex teen, Max Walker. Golden Boy won a 2014 American Library Association ALEX Award for Best Adult Books For Teen Readers and was shortlisted for a LAMBDA award for debut LGBT fiction!

I read all of my reviews and just want to say a BIG THANK YOU to my readers who have taken the time to tell m
More about Abigail Tarttelin...

“Think of that person you knew when you were a kid, who you always thought you could have loved completely and forever.Well, you could have. It’s the truth, and it’s the saddest and simplest thing. There isn’t just one person for each of us in the world. There aren’t many, but there are always a few people we could have made it with, that maybe we still want to make it with, that press themselves so close to our hearts they leave scars, and then slip through our fingers and disappear from our lives. And it doesn’t make a difference if you’re thirteen or ninety- eight because some things you feel are real, no matter when.” 46 likes