Start by marking “Not Before Bed (1st edition)” as Want to Read:
Not Before Bed (1st edition)
Preview

Not Before Bed (1st edition)

3.4 of 5 stars 3.40  ·  rating details  ·  60 ratings  ·  19 reviews
A collection of dark tales to tingle your spine and goose your bumps. While reading, you'll encounter tentacle pods, bogeymen, dark gods; vamps, zombies, werewolves, and Things with no name.
Barricade your door. Say goodbye to your loved ones. Check behind the curtains and in the wardrobe. But don't read it alone, and definitely Not Before Bed.

Author Craig Hallam has prev
Published October 10th 2011 by Craig Hallam, via Createspace (first published April 6th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Not Before Bed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Not Before Bed

Sam
A superb collection of fourteen chilling tales that you really shouldn't read before bed (unless you're like me and you really can't help yourself). Hallam has a knack for building the tension and fear slowly with Laughter on the Landing, Sarah and the Monster and Albert while giving the reader a short sharp shock with March of the Broken, The Fly Man and the title tale Not Before Bed (which by the way may be the shortest but it packs the biggest punch). Hallam also takes the more traditional ho ...more
Donald Armfield
This collection of short stories is a grab bag, with a little bit of everything. The main course is horror but has some fantasy to it as well. A great mix of werewolfs, vampires, walking dead you name it. A great read.

Laughter on The Landing: A yell from above startled the writer but what he finds later is beyond a bloody thought. 4 Stars

Mandy in The Jar-O:
As I read this I kept humming the tune by Metallica " Whiskey in the Jar." An alien experience for a woman trapped in a tube filled with wa
Valentina
A collection of thrilling and chilling stories, this book was a lot of fun to read. The way that Mr. Hallam builds suspense makes the stories really come to life.
There are many different kinds of stories in this collection: paranormal, quirky, some even have humor in them. But they all have a unique voice and viewpoint that adds originality to the bunch. I loved the mixture of Lovecraft-style horror with the stronger, gag-worthy images. It shows a good handle on many kinds of horror stories.
So
Daniel Powell
I first encountered Craig Hallam's writing in Murky Depths, an enjoyable blend of art and fiction that is produced in the United Kingdom. I was intrigued by his writing--there's a very confident approach to voice and pacing in the work--so I was happy to dive into Not Before Bed. I've been reading these stories in sips and swallows over the last few busy weeks, and I'm happy to say they've provided many moments of entertainment.

The collection runs from the atmospheric to the darkly visceral, wi
H. Conrad Miller
A great collection of horror stort stories ranging from Lovecraftian to werewolves to that thing that goes bump under your bed. Each story is finely crafted by Craig Hallam in an enjoyable and easy to read way while still having each story have it's own voice and feel. I think that is one of the most remarkable things about this collection. While it is easy to see how all of the stories came from one author, each story was told with a voice all it's own that was perfect for that specific sub-ge ...more
Lissette
I absolutely love this book. Craig has a unique way of telling stories that leaves the reader hooked from the beginning. I haven't read that much of spec fiction, but enjoyed immensely every tale that was included in this collection.

Some of the stories don't have dialogue, but in all honesty, they don't really need it. He's able to weave a tale in such a way that you find yourself so immersed, so focused that you lose track of what you're doing. At least, I did. I found myself imagining every sc
Justin
Very well put together book and stories. It was a breath of fresh air compared to the book I read before this. Some of the stories really grabbed my attention leaving me in suspense wanting to read the next page. I wasn’t a fan of all the stories and I felt some weren’t as good as the one before it. Some of them were rather short but every story was easy to understand and grasp as to what was going on. Overall I think it was a very good book to read.
D.H. Nevins
I loved the twisted little stories of Mr. Hallam's imaginings. Whether the tale is deliciously creepy or falls into the realm of the downright weird, each one will leave you turning page after page into the wee hours of the morning. And above all else, Not Before Bed is FREE! What more could a reader ask for?
Brandy Hunt
While I really liked some of these stories, the quality of the story telling was variable. Most of the stories are good, some are truly scary, and then some are mediocre.

I would say there is a little bit here for everyone.
Emily
Some were better than others. The one that included references to Doctor Who was AWESOME!
Elizabeth
I loved this collection of short stories. Great Vacation Reading.
Kimberly
Very fun book to read when the lights go out!!!
Pete Denton
I don’t usually read speculative fiction but I’m glad that I downloaded Not Before Bed. This is a collection of short stories from the fabulously twisted mind of Craig Hallam!

There are plenty of great stories to entertain you on a cold, dark night. I enjoyed reading each and every one of them, though my favourites are Laughter on the Landing, Sarah and the Monster, Lovecraft and Albert. I like it when you can read a collection of short stories and have so many good ones to try to pick the best f
Kelly Knapp
Hallam’s collection of short tales is delightfully chilling. I do not agree with the title though. These are exactly the stories to read just before bed (teens to adults only.) In fact, I can picture a group of campers sitting around the fire, while one reads the stories out loud. Or even better, a group of girls at a slumber party, sitting together as the host reads the stories and then watches as every little sound makes someone in the group jump.

It is obvious that Hallam has a knack for strin
Shaeeza Haniff
OMG - From the first word I was hooked. Quite a semblance of "tales from the darksidesque" stories to definitely not read before bedtime. Each story stands on its own. Very well written and delivered. I feel I should be paying for this collection. I would definitely read more from this author. Great job.
KyBunnies
Nov 12, 2011 KyBunnies rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: horror/thriller readers
Recommended to KyBunnies by: goodreads.com
*****THIS WAS A GOODREADS.COM FIRST READ CONTEST WIN!******

This was an interesting short story read. I would of gave it five stars but it was just not scary enough for me. lol

*****THIS WAS A GOODREADS.COM FIRST READ CONTEST WIN!******
Melissa
there were two stories I liked. the rest were either boring, not scary or seemingly pointless.
Kenny
I have been reading this off and on for a long time. OK book.
Sheila
I'll be keeping this promising horror writer on my read list.
Rebecca A. Corvello
Rebecca A. Corvello marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Twig
Twig marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
J.S. Collyer
J.S. Collyer marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2015
Shanna Wynne
Shanna Wynne marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2015
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2015
April
April marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Paranormal and Ho...: My books, blogs and other bumf. 14 47 May 26, 2012 03:45AM
Book Haven: Not Before Bed 1 20 Oct 13, 2011 07:10PM
  • The Mutilation Machination
  • Shock Totem 1: Curious Tales of the Macabre and Twisted
  • Demons and Other Inconveniences
  • Prelude to Reveille:  A Vietnam Awakening
  • Zombie! Zombie! Brain Bang!
  • From Within
  • Dead of Wynter
  • Attic Clowns
  • Here Be Monsters: An Anthology of Monster Tales
  • Haunted Destiny (Midnight Dragonfly, #1.5)
  • Other Waters: A Novel
  • The Second Ward
  • The Sorrow King
  • Einstein's Refrigerator and Other Stories from the Flip Side of History
Author of Speculative Fiction. Craig spends most of his free time in front of a keyboard. His short stories have been in New Horizons (British Fantasy Society), Murky Depths and Morpheus Tales among others.
His debut novel, GREAVEBURN, a Gothic Fantasy tale, is out now from Inspired Quill Publishing.

As he waits for the judgement of reviewers, he is working on his next novel.
More about Craig Hallam...
Greaveburn Not Before Bed (2nd edition) The Adventures of Alan Shaw Children of the Moon Morpheus Tales #10 (Morpheus Tales Magazine)