Start by marking “Food Security for the Faint of Heart” as Want to Read:
Food Security for the Faint of Heart

Food Security for the Faint of Heart

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  30 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Where would you find your groceries if your supermarket's shelves were suddenly empty? The threat of earthquakes, trucker strikes, power outages, or a global market collapse makes us vulnerable like never before. With spiraling fuel prices and unstable world economies, individuals and communities are demanding more control over their food supply.

Food Security for the Faint...more
Published September 1st 2008 by New Society Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Food Security for the Faint of Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Food Security for the Faint of Heart

Michelle
After several years of intense armchair gardening (waiting for retaining walls, etc. to be built so I could landscape my yard!), then being inspired this month first by Square Foot Gardening and subsequently a lesson on emergency food supplies, I immediately reviewed my ultimate plans for landscaping my yard and decided that the yard had better be part of my emergency food supply. What does that mean? Basically, I decided that a few of the pretty bushes I was going to install should probably be...more
Kelly Knapp
Nov 14, 2012 Kelly Knapp rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone over the age of 8
Recommended to Kelly by: someone who loved me...
This is a terrific book for the everyday family. It is a simple look at the benefits of having a personal backstock of basic foods, not relying so heavily on your freezer, getting friends and neighbors to cooperate as a group, and how simple it can be to get started.

You don't need to contact a company with 25 year cans or military rations (although, these are great options for stocking a 2-5 year backstock or having a small stash away from your home). You can start at your regular store by pick...more
Emily Mellow
I'm really not sure I'll ever get into the whole canning thing, but there are probably some useful tricks I'll glean from this book. Definitely more inspired than ever to get some rain barrels so we always have a source of water.
There is a great list of helpful, easy to grow plants that will basically grow in every garden with minimal effort. I am determined to grow each of these and learn how to use them. I also like the idea that if we each grew our own herbs for tea, we could each effectively...more
Amelia
This book was part manifesto, part how-to, and I get the sense that she's preaching to the choir here -- no one is going to read this who isn't already interested in gardening, buying local, etc. It does a pretty good job of cheering people on to find greater food security, but as a how-to, it's limited. The author is constantly referring to one thing or another about coastal British Columbia which might not translate so well to other areas. It's also limited by the fact that it's a sweeping ove...more
Penny
Read/skimmed the book. This is a fairly basic book, but several good ideas included. Also a good list of further resources.
Jennifer Miera
This lady seems to know what she is talking about. I aspire to live up to not letting one berry or tomato go to waste, but for now, I'm just doing the best I can. She inspired me to incorporate a few basic medicinal herbs into my herb garden (a three year old culinary garden that I am just NOW learning to utilize). She also encourages setting goals in growing your own and preserving it - something I intend to do. Lists, lists and more lists.
Stacy
Good book but poorly named - this book is definitely NOT for the faint of heart. It is well written for the planner types that are willing to put in hard work and time toward growing and preserving their own food. If you already garden, this would be a fabulous resource for learning to preserve the fruits (or vegetables?) of your labor. I'm not that person but I am interested in food preservation so it was still an informative read.
Shawna
This book takes home storage to a new level - gardening, preserving, harvesting wild foods, collecting rain water, etc. It's written by a local author, so all the information is particularly relevant to the West Coast.
Adrienne Crow
Adrienne Crow marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Zorena
Zorena marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Spunkynis
Spunkynis marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2014
Evan
Evan marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2013
Rohit
Rohit added it
Jun 29, 2013
Silvia Di Blasio
Silvia Di Blasio marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2013
Christie
Christie marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2013
Sarah marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2013
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2013
Jason Mccartan
Jason Mccartan marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2013
Julia D'amico
Julia D'amico marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2013
Njibe Simon
Njibe Simon marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2013
Brittany Harrington
Brittany Harrington marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2013
Anna Joceline
Anna Joceline marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2013
Catmampbell
Catmampbell marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Gardening for the Faint of Heart INSIGHTS (INSIGHTS series) Palmer's Pilgrimage: The Life Of William Palmer Of Magdalen