Start by marking “Food Security for the Faint of Heart” as Want to Read:
Food Security for the Faint of Heart

Food Security for the Faint of Heart

3.84  ·  Rating Details  ·  32 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Where would you find your groceries if your supermarket's shelves were suddenly empty? The threat of earthquakes, trucker strikes, power outages, or a global market collapse makes us vulnerable like never before. With spiraling fuel prices and unstable world economies, individuals and communities are demanding more control over their food supply.

Food Security for the Faint
Published September 1st 2008 by New Society Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Food Security for the Faint of Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Food Security for the Faint of Heart

Michelle
May 30, 2010 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After several years of intense armchair gardening (waiting for retaining walls, etc. to be built so I could landscape my yard!), then being inspired this month first by Square Foot Gardening and subsequently a lesson on emergency food supplies, I immediately reviewed my ultimate plans for landscaping my yard and decided that the yard had better be part of my emergency food supply. What does that mean? Basically, I decided that a few of the pretty bushes I was going to install should probably be ...more
Kelly Knapp
Nov 14, 2012 Kelly Knapp rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone over the age of 8
Recommended to Kelly by: someone who loved me...
This is a terrific book for the everyday family. It is a simple look at the benefits of having a personal backstock of basic foods, not relying so heavily on your freezer, getting friends and neighbors to cooperate as a group, and how simple it can be to get started.

You don't need to contact a company with 25 year cans or military rations (although, these are great options for stocking a 2-5 year backstock or having a small stash away from your home). You can start at your regular store by pick
Emily Mellow
I'm really not sure I'll ever get into the whole canning thing, but there are probably some useful tricks I'll glean from this book. Definitely more inspired than ever to get some rain barrels so we always have a source of water.
There is a great list of helpful, easy to grow plants that will basically grow in every garden with minimal effort. I am determined to grow each of these and learn how to use them. I also like the idea that if we each grew our own herbs for tea, we could each effectively
Amelia
Aug 15, 2012 Amelia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was part manifesto, part how-to, and I get the sense that she's preaching to the choir here -- no one is going to read this who isn't already interested in gardening, buying local, etc. It does a pretty good job of cheering people on to find greater food security, but as a how-to, it's limited. The author is constantly referring to one thing or another about coastal British Columbia which might not translate so well to other areas. It's also limited by the fact that it's a sweeping ove ...more
Penny
Jan 24, 2014 Penny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read/skimmed the book. This is a fairly basic book, but several good ideas included. Also a good list of further resources.
Jennifer Miera
This lady seems to know what she is talking about. I aspire to live up to not letting one berry or tomato go to waste, but for now, I'm just doing the best I can. She inspired me to incorporate a few basic medicinal herbs into my herb garden (a three year old culinary garden that I am just NOW learning to utilize). She also encourages setting goals in growing your own and preserving it - something I intend to do. Lists, lists and more lists.
Stacy
Good book but poorly named - this book is definitely NOT for the faint of heart. It is well written for the planner types that are willing to put in hard work and time toward growing and preserving their own food. If you already garden, this would be a fabulous resource for learning to preserve the fruits (or vegetables?) of your labor. I'm not that person but I am interested in food preservation so it was still an informative read.
Shawna
Jul 06, 2009 Shawna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book takes home storage to a new level - gardening, preserving, harvesting wild foods, collecting rain water, etc. It's written by a local author, so all the information is particularly relevant to the West Coast.
Janice D. Bowermaster
Janice D. Bowermaster marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2016
Anthrochiq  n2 Art
Anthrochiq n2 Art marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2016
Miranda
Miranda marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2016
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2016
Terry L Hertel
Terry L Hertel rated it really liked it
Feb 16, 2016
Jenny White
Jenny White marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Susan
Susan rated it really liked it
Nov 28, 2015
Michal
Michal marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2015
Luralie
Luralie marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2015
Rintin
Rintin marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2015
Sherri
Sherri added it
Aug 08, 2015
Midy47
Midy47 marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2015
Caroline
Caroline marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2015
Kim Greene
Kim Greene rated it really liked it
Mar 25, 2015
Lyn Hart
Lyn Hart rated it liked it
Feb 25, 2015
Shirley Keeton
Shirley Keeton marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2015
Annam
Annam added it
Feb 03, 2015
Cynthia
Cynthia rated it it was amazing
Feb 28, 2015
Adrienne Crow
Adrienne Crow marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Zorena
Zorena marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014