Start by marking “The Morbidly Obese Ninja” as Want to Read:
The Morbidly Obese Ninja

The Morbidly Obese Ninja

These days, if you want to run a successful company . . . you're going to need a lot of ninjas. Neo Tokyo, California is a city built so high that none of its residents have ever seen the ground. It is a place where citizens cosmetically alter their bodies to look like Japanese anime characters. It is a place where ninja battles determine the fate of corporate business ven ...more
Published April 14th 2011 by Eraserhead Press

jasmine
Dec 27, 2014 jasmine rated it liked it
Shelves: g-bizarro, x-adult
Every single thought you have when you look at this book is exactly right. It is ridiculous. It is cheesy in its own way, pointless. The characters aren't fleshed out enough to form any real attachment, aren't complex enough for caring about. But the story was funny - laugh out loud funny, which is amazing to me, especially, because I am so far from the laughing while reading type of person that it's disgusting.

This story was silly. It was weird. It was precisely what it said on the tin: an epis
Sheldon
Aug 18, 2011 Sheldon rated it really liked it
When I try to describe The Morbidly Obese Ninja by Carlton Mellick III, there is only word that accurately describes it: FUN! I had great fun reading it. You can tell that Mellick had fun writing it. It is simply pure fun!

The story is pretty straightforward. Basu is a seven hundred pound ninja in a world where corporate espionage is a matter of daily life and hostile takeovers are literally hostile and involve the assassination of company board members. He follows a strict code of ninja ethics a
William M.
Nov 10, 2011 William M. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bizarro
This bizarro book is not only the best thing author Carlton Mellick has written, it’s the best bizarro book I’ve ever read. Full of so many incredible concepts and original ideas, it just reconfirms Mellick’s jaw-dropping talent and his unofficial title as the leader of the bizarro genre.

The obese ninja, on the surface, seems like a funny idea. But Mellick backs this idea up with not only why he’s so large and how he’s so large, but goes to great detail how he uses his size and weight to his adv
Paulo "paper books always" Carvalho
This is one of those books I have nothing to say - Go try.

Basically - in the future there are corporate ninjas that steal secrets from one another. One of these ninjas is... morbidly obese. That's it. From action zone to action scene we jump around as this ninja escapes from other ninjas. There is also a anime girl (like the one on the cover) but her participant part is quite small.

If you enjoy anime - then try it. If anime is not your thing then I won't advice it. I enjoy it. Mellick really di
Dustin Reade
May 05, 2011 Dustin Reade rated it it was amazing
This book is awesome. Plain and simple. The story is full of intense action, with a definite anime feel (which gets skewered in a few places, to hilarious effect),and as usual, Mellick comes up with some oddly plausible explanations for why the people and the world they live in are the way they are.
Surprisingly clean and heartfelt for a book about Ninjas, but not so much you would feel comfortable reading it in church, and an ending that put a smile on my face that weighed seven-hundred pounds.
S.T. Cartledge
Apr 26, 2011 S.T. Cartledge rated it really liked it
Shelves: bizarro, reviewed
I've read quite a few Carlton Mellick books by now and from what I've read of his older stuff, I like his older - more experimental stuff - and his longer books, more. I started out with Satan Burger and Punk Land and then worked my way to Fishy Fleshed and Warrior Wolf Women, the Egg Man and a few other titles, and since then I've been keeping up with his new releases and occasionally backtracking to an older book.

My reason for liking stories like Satan Burger, Fishy Fleshed and the Egg Man is
Arthur Graham
Mar 13, 2012 Arthur Graham rated it liked it
It's hard to imagine a character with a less congruous lifestyle/occupation, but Mellick manages pretty well with his 700 lb Basu (Japanese for "bus"). TMON tells the story of Basu's downfall and redemption, with a few clever twists on the anime conventions that inspired it thrown in for good measure.

While not poorly written by any means, the diction is rather basic throughout. Some of the scenes felt a bit forced, in my opinion, although I certainly didn't expect all of the inventive ways in wh
R.A. Harris
May 12, 2012 R.A. Harris rated it liked it
Mellick is a very fun writer.

In this book he has written an anime story with a bizarro twist. Basu is a ninja, the best ninja in fact, but he's also morbidly obese.

A genuine hero, Basu soon finds himself saving the life of a target he was supposed to kill, all the while maintaining a huge calorie intake, somewhere around 4000 calories a day.

Some funny moments, some emotional moments, this book dances around like a ninja in a death fight. Certainly different in style to his earlier works, I th
Craig Rettig
Jul 10, 2011 Craig Rettig rated it liked it
While a pretty spot-on mash-up of anime and bizarro absurdity, the story was played pretty straightforward. Anyone who's watched any ninja anime can predict the plot, and while there are a few good absurdities, nothing outside the main concept really stands out.

Not bad, but not particularly good, either.
Gary
May 11, 2011 Gary rated it it was ok
A morbidly obese ninja but a very thin story... I understand that this type of writing is experimental in some ways and in this case a foray into the anime world that is usually the domain of graphic novels/comics, but apart from one or two nice flights of imagination it left me cold. I shan't be reading more of Mr Mellick's stories.
Donald Gorman
Jul 10, 2011 Donald Gorman rated it really liked it
although it's very short, this is a fascinating little read. i don't limit myself to bizarro fiction, but i find it a refreshing departure from normal literature. as in this case, this modern answer to the old counter-culture novels is not always as intimidating as some titles would lead you to believe. sure, it has it's excessively bloody moments and it's occasional grotesqueries....but they don't consume the entire book. there is plenty of proficient writing in this short, imaginitive tale. me ...more
Brian Tasler
May 15, 2011 Brian Tasler rated it really liked it
Shelves: bizarro
Another excellent outing from CM3. This tale repersents Mellick's attempt to translate Anime to the written page, an atempt he mostly succeeds with via a uniquely twisted take on the genre.

In the future where life is lived in skyscrapers and corporations are governed through the use of ninjas to gain competitive knowledge Basu is at the top of the corporate ninja pyramid. That is until his ninja-master peer and friend, Susumu, turns against him out of jealousy for his position as top ninja.

Tra
Richard Kelly
Mar 08, 2016 Richard Kelly rated it it was ok
There are times when an author tries to step outside his comfort zone. Unfortunately this often is a stumble not a step.

Carlton Mellick III is known for his bizarro books. They are strange and gross and sexual and crazy. In the Morbidly Obese Ninja he kept a few elements, but since he put it in an anime style world these things don't feel off the wall at all.

Not only did he stray a bit from his core genre, but the writing suddenly is very focused on emotion and character development. This takes
Kat
Jul 23, 2011 Kat rated it really liked it
Two corporations are on a mission to get a special piggy bank that holds information that will make them the leading company in the industry. To do so, the Oekai corporation enlists Basu, a grunting 700 pound, iKitana wielding ninja. Crow, Basu's ex-best friend turned enemy and Gomen employee, is also after the bank. But this is no ordinary piggy bank...it's a boy named Oki. With the help of a pink-haired anime girl named Chiya, Basu must fight against Crow and his ceaseless group of ninjas and ...more
Erin
Feb 12, 2017 Erin rated it it was ok
I thought this was going to be amusing but it was just kind of depressing. I don't think I laughed once and the ending was lack luster. Needed more mayo packs for sure.
Andrew Stone
Jan 26, 2014 Andrew Stone rated it really liked it
Jonathan
Jul 05, 2012 Jonathan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-reads
You know, one thing Mellick doesn't normally do in his style of writing, is make you say the word "Aw!" But that's exactly the way I feel about this one. Yeah, sure it was weird as fuck, but that's what bizarro is. It was also disgusting to an almost nauseating point, but there were a lot of things in this book that rocked. The way this book was written, in an anime style, for one, was genius. Another thing that this book did an excellent job of? Description. Perfect description. Description to ...more
Rich Meyer
Oct 08, 2013 Rich Meyer rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
Literary anime is the only way to describe this. If the live-action Fist of the North Star or Dragonball movies had been done properly, they could've been this book.

Carlton Mellick again surprises with an excellent tale of pop culture with a lot of neat, futuristic twists that do Gibson or Stephenson to shame.

My only complaint: Its too damn short! I'm left wanting so much more...

natercopia
Mar 17, 2012 natercopia rated it liked it
I wished it was longer, building up on the world that Basu was living on which is interesting to just get lost in it. Mellick's attempt on the anime world is uniquely twisted filled with non-stop action, creative concept and definitely a fun short story to keep you entertain.
Ame
May 15, 2011 Ame rated it liked it
Shelves: bizarro
I wish it hadn't been a novella because there were certain aspects of this ninja-riddled corporate world that could have been expanded, such as the manufacturing of the human piggy banks and perhaps exposition on how one becomes a corporate ninja. Still a delightfully bizarre romp.
Jess-i-ca ~Sometimes a Gif Witch~
HAHAHAHAHHAHA!

photo truestory_zps77754655.gif
Izabela
Jan 31, 2012 Izabela rated it really liked it
Funny, strange, and oddly touching, The Morbidly Obese Ninja has become my favorite Carlton Mellick book thusfar. Though short, it packs a punch with an ending that has more meaning than some of Mellick's other works.
Adrian
Jan 26, 2016 Adrian rated it liked it
The best book ever written about 700lb ninjas.
Michael Argyros
Nov 13, 2014 Michael Argyros rated it really liked it
Shelves: bizarro-fiction
A very fun little bizarro/anime romp.
Joshua Long
Oct 30, 2014 Joshua Long rated it really liked it
I'm really loving all of Carlton's book so far.
Chris Rutherford
Jul 29, 2013 Chris Rutherford rated it it was amazing
LMAO! Fun read by Mellick! Kinda gross too. But that's what you should expect from Mellick.
Eric
May 10, 2013 Eric rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bizarro
Short, quick romp in a twisted anime-like world dreamed up by Carlton Mellick III! Check this one out if you're a fan of bizarro fiction or those crazy Japanese "cartoons"!
Mike Maski
Aug 29, 2011 Mike Maski rated it really liked it
Shelves: bizarro
Wow! Anime as a novella. Mellick continues to create unique stories.
Chris
Aug 09, 2013 Chris rated it liked it
Shelves: bizarro
A decent addition to CM3's catalog, but not at the top of the list. It seemed like this story could have been expanded and given some more depth.
Cooper
Cooper rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2016
  • The Emerald Burrito of Oz
  • They Had Goat Heads
  • Shatnerquake
  • 10 a Boot Stomping 20 a Human Face 30 Goto 10
Carlton Mellick III (July 2, 1977, Phoenix, Arizona) is an American author currently residing in Portland, Oregon. He calls his style of writing "avant-punk," and is currently one of the leading authors in the recent 'Bizarro' movement in underground literature[citation needed] with Steve Aylett, Chris Genoa and D. Harlan Wilson.

Mellick's work has been described as a combination of trashy schlock
More about Carlton Mellick III...