Start by marking “A Slaying in Savannah (Murder, She Wrote #30)” as Want to Read:
A Slaying in Savannah (Murder, She Wrote #30)

A Slaying in Savannah (Murder, She Wrote #30)

Jessica Fletcher digs up a home-grown murder mystery down South in this brand-new installment in the USA Today bestselling series.

Jessica is saddened when her eccentric old friend Tillie Mortelaine passes awayand surprised to learn that Tillie has left her a million dollars. But there are strings attached. Jessica must use the money to help the literacy fund she and Tillie

Audiobook, 8 pages
Published October 8th 2008 by Blackstone Audio, Inc. (first published August 26th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about A Slaying in Savannah, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Slaying in Savannah

Jonathan
I've been wanting to read this book for awhile now, so when I found it at a used bookstore I immediately bought it. However, after my last attempt at this series, which wasn't very good, this book just sat on my shelf. But I am happy to say this book was a delightful edition to this series that makes me want to read and watch more of Jessica Fletcher.

The characters in this book were superb, and the setting was, too. I'd love to read more of these characters in Savannah and I kinda wish Jessica w
Adam
Jan 28, 2011 Adam rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks-a-z
Post Listen Review: Well this is pretty much what I expected it would be. It was a little disappointing that Angela Landsbury wasn't the narrator of course but it was pretty much just like an episode of Murder She Wrote. Little old lady writer is wrapped up in a surprising situation in which she has to solve a murder. She does because everyone underestimates her abilities. Oddly enough this reminded me a lot of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. So for my review I am going to show the similarites ...more
Lauren
Jul 21, 2010 Lauren rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think i've seen every episode of Murder, She Wrote since it started. A family past time, if you will. This book was... not as good as the show. But had that charm, that... Fletcher corneyness that i was raised to know and love. That being said, if i hadn't been raised on Murder, She Wrote, I probably would have not liked it as much. But isn't that the whole point of this series? To experience good ole J.B. once more for the first time? Definitely.
Mary
May 07, 2017 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jessica takes a trip to the Deep South when an old friend dies and leaves Jessica in charge of a long-cold murder mystery. Can Jessica find the killer of Miss Tillie's long-lost love in the time limit specified and secure funding for her favorite literacy effort through the provisions of Tillie's will? This was a fun read with a shocking ending.
Cheryl
Oct 09, 2016 Cheryl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery lovers
Jessica is left 1 million dollars by an old friend Tillie with two clauses. First she must solve the unsolved murder of Tillies betrothed in one month and Jessica must give the money to the Savannah literacy program the two ladies started. With a colorful list of characters and an historic haunted mansion to sort through Jessica has lots to do. I was quite sure whodunit early in the story but it was still a mystery how Jessica would solve it.
Samantha
Aug 05, 2009 Samantha rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009, buddy-reads
I guess I should start by saying that this was my aunt's selection for our book club this month. I have never watched an episode of Murder, She Wrote. Don't get me wrong, I know who the character is, but I was born in '86 so I wasn't exactly the target audience when the show was on-air (I'm more familiar with Lansbury as Mrs. Potts in Beauty and the Beast, lol). ;D

The premise of the story starts out simple enough: Jessica has to go to Savannah because a good acquaintance, Tillie, has recently di
Jamie Fessenden
Aug 22, 2012 Jamie Fessenden rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
A fun, old-fashioned murder mystery with a wonderful sense of southern atmosphere. I always enjoy the books in this series, more than the television series they're based on, and this one is one of the best I've read so far.

Jessica Fletcher gets called to Savannah, Georgia to the reading of the will of her old friend, Tillie Mortelaine, and discovers that one of the provisions in the will is that a literacy program in Savannah will receive a million dollars...if Jessica can solve the murder of T
Kristi
Jun 08, 2016 Kristi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mystery
When Jessica Fletcher is notified that an old friend’s $1 million bequest to a literacy program is contingent upon her solving a 40 year old homicide, Jessica heads down to Savannah to finally resolve the cold case.

First, I feel that I have to confess that I am a huge fan of Murder, She Wrote. This is only the second book that I have read in this series. That being said, I thoroughly enjoyed this story. The characters were engaging and realistic. I learned quite a bit about Savannah’s history an
Shan
Apr 08, 2016 Shan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was just a fun little mystery involving a 40 year old murder, ghosts, a proviso of and the reading of a will, an interesting coterie of involved parties, mouth-watering descriptions of traditional Southern food that reminded me of the meals I had growing up, and all set in the beautiful and historical city of Savannah. I picked it up because I love when I happen to catch "Murder, She Wrote" reruns on TV, I love the character Jessica Fletcher, and I like a good little murder mystery as a lig ...more
Lisa
Jul 23, 2011 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries, fiction
In this novel, Jessica finds herself in Savannah, GA trying to solve a 40-year-old murder that not even the police could solve.

Jessica's friend, Tillie Mortelaine, has passed away. In her will she has left 1 million dollars to the literacy foundation that Jessica and Tillie organized many years ago. However, there is one stipulation to the money being given. Jessica must discover who killed Tillie's fiance. Jessica finds herself surrounded by strange characters, including those of the otherworld
Harry
Mar 26, 2015 Harry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rage
Jun 09, 2013 Rage rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the TV show. I know this book series is not high literature, but within the confines of the Murder, She Wrote, series, this is one of my favorites. There's some good banter between Jessica, Seth, and Mort, and there was a lot of architectural and historical detail about Savannah (and the modern St. Patrick's Day celebration). The mystery isn't extremely complex, and most of Jessica's time is spent exploring the house (excellently Southern gothic), talking to ghost-hunters, and eating a lo ...more
Cynthia Collins
Aug 08, 2012 Cynthia Collins rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Slaying in Savannah was just as much ghost story as murder mystery. In my opinion, the ghost story element, set in a historic Savannah home, made this book stand out from the other Murder, She Wrote books. Jessica's ability to solve a crime is part of an eccentric old woman's will. If she solves it, a particular charity both women worked on will receive a lot of money. The living relatives though are hoping she'll fail since they are eyeing the deceased woman's fortune for themselves. Jessica ...more
JayeL
Apr 20, 2009 JayeL rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who need a little mind candy and enjoy a mystery
Recommended to JayeL by: the public library!!!
Shelves: 2009
I picked this up at the Library while I was waiting for someone to pick out books. This was total mind candy, which I need sometimes. It is not a book I would read again, but I was happy to read the Library's copy once. The good thing about this book is that I knew some of the characters from the TV show, which meant that it was a quick start and not a lot of confusion from coming into the middle of the series with no preparation.

I didn't feel like the author gave the reader all of the informati
Kellene
Dec 28, 2015 Kellene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel-bingo
Okay, I confess... I absolutely love Jessica Fletcher. I love Murder She Wrote on TV and in book form. I could easily spend every summer in Cabot Cove, and love every minute of it. And when Jessica travels, I love that too. Savannah is a wonderful city, and the book portrays it well. Granted the characters are for the most part nasty, but some were very likable. Throw in the possibility of a haunting and I'm so in. I really did enjoy the book (in case you didn't get that yet), and didn't have it ...more
Clarke
Oct 01, 2012 Clarke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A captivating murder mystery set in the historic and unique city of Savannah, Georgia. Donald Bain does a great job creating suspense and complex characters that keep the book interesting throughout - I never felt like reading this book was a chore. Good book for a rainy day when you feel like reading something that is not too taxing on your brain but enjoyable enough to keep you entertained. I found it to be even more enjoyable than the TV show it is based on.
Rachel
Michelle
Oct 07, 2009 Michelle rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was alright, but nothing fantastic. She goes to Georgia to solve a 40 year old murder. She doesn't bring her 'famous' bicycle, so she depends on the maids daughter and cabs to take her everywhere. Then, when she actually does decide to walk while investigating, she falls down.

I got this at one of my citys Fall Festivals, and it was dirt cheap. Now I know why, lol.
chrisa
Jul 20, 2013 chrisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mystery
This was an audio book we listened to in the car on the way back from KY. I enjoyed the narrator, she was quite talented and did a good job, especially with such a distinctive voice as 'Jessica Fletcher's'.

The mystery was interesting and provided a memorable view of southern life for women in the '50's.
Donna
Nov 29, 2015 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good mystery with lots of twists and turns, and good character development. A bit out of the ordinary for this series, as there is a "ghostly" twist. I also enjoyed the descriptions of various places in Savannah-I researched several of the places mentioned. Passed through Savannah briefly a few years ago-now I want to go back! Definitely an enjoyable book.
Beth
May 25, 2015 Beth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another light, enjoyable book in the Murder, She Wrote series. This time out Jessica is challenged to solve a 40-year-old murder by a stipulation in the will of a deceased friend, with a million dollar bequest to a literacy foundation if she is successful. Jessica encounters eccentric Southerners, ghost hunters, and greedy relatives who try to stand in her way.
Andrea
Dec 29, 2014 Andrea rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't love this as much as others. There was a heartlessness to this one that didn't seem much like Jessica. The setting was fabulous as it always is in this series. The mystery was transparent enough to make you think that you almost had it. However it stayed just out of my reach until the end.

Overall good enough, but missing a little heart from Jessica Fletcher in this one.
Natalia
Aug 09, 2012 Natalia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent read, lived up to the awesome "Murder, She Wrote" television series. I learned alot about Savannah from this book and truly enjoyed the characters, as well as the overall pace of this book.
Rebecca
Mar 19, 2012 Rebecca rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I always enjoy the Murder She Wrote series.. as I loved the show as a kid.. this is not at the top of my list of favorites in this series ..it moved a little slow at times and some things for me were a tad far fetched..but still a good lazy afternoon read
Sara
Apr 19, 2010 Sara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I always liked these stories. However, this one was not my favorite b/c I figured out who did it a little too soon into the book. Although I loved the reasons/story behind the murder. Can't wait for the next one to test my detective skills.
Oct 07, 2008 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Always an easy fun read. Bought in Savannah at "The Book" bookstore while on vacation. The gal working there told me about her ghost encounter (that was mentioned in this book). She was thanked in the preface, so how could I not buy it and have her sign it?? :)
Jamie
Oct 19, 2012 Jamie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: not-feeling-it
The third of the three MSW books I'd splurged on in the hopes of finding a new series to attach myself to. I'd managed to slog through the first two. Upon reading the first half chapter I realized I had better things to do than muck trough a third.
Gina
Aug 15, 2012 Gina rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was, as my two star rating indicates, "okay." That having been said, it's one of the better books in this particular series. If you go in without high expectations, you'll find it to be a decent fun read.
Herb
Nov 07, 2008 Herb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All lovers of fun mysteries
Recommended to Herb by: I read them all
Well, she got me again. Once more, I didn't see the denouement coming. I did, however, expect a second murder, since the one Jessica was investigating was 40 years old!
Clever plotting, very easy read, great way to pass the time. Enjoy!
Rebecca
Really do enjoy all of her books.
But this book in particular didn't grab me as much especially within the last two chapters.
I was not crazy about who killed Wanamaker jones and how that played out.
But defiantly will be picking up another murder she wrote book again.
The Women's Myste...: #29 A Slaying in Savannah 1 3 Aug 10, 2013 12:12AM
  • Words With Fiends (Black Cat Bookshop Mystery, #3)
  • Wreckers' Key (Seychelle Sullivan, #4)
  • Mr. Monk and The Blue Flu (Mr. Monk, #3)
  • The Naked Detective (Key West, #8)
  • Murder is a Piece of Cake (Josie Marcus, Mystery Shopper, #8)
  • Murder, They Wrote (Includes: Aurora Teagarden)
  • Highlights to Heaven (The Bad Hair Day Mysteries Book 5)
  • The Llama of Death: A Gunn Zoo Mystery (A Gunn Zoo Mystery, #3)
  • Haunted Savannah: The Official Guidebook to Savannah Haunted History Tour Conducted by Cobblestone Tours
  • Full Moon Over Madeline Island
  • Bookmarked For Death (Booktown Mystery, #2)
  • File M for Murder (Cat in the Stacks, #3)

Jessica Fletcher (born Jessica Beatrice MacGill, and writes under the initialed J.B. Fletcher) is a fictional character from the US television series Murder, She Wrote.

In keeping with the spirit of the TV show, a series of official original novels have been written by American ghostwriter Donald Bain and publi
More about Jessica Fletcher...

Murder, She Wrote (1 - 10 of 46 books)
  • Gin & Daggers (Murder, She Wrote, #1)
  • Manhattans & Murder (Murder, She Wrote, #2)
  • Rum & Razors (Murder, She Wrote, #3)
  • Brandy and Bullets (Murder, She Wrote, #4)
  • Martinis & Mayhem (Murder, She Wrote, #5)
  • A Deadly Judgment (Murder, She Wrote, #6)
  • A Palette for Murder (Murder, She Wrote, #7)
  • The Highland Fling Murders (Murder, She Wrote, #8)
  • Murder on the QE2 (Murder, She Wrote, #9)
  • Murder in Moscow (Murder, She Wrote, #10)