Start by marking “The Silicon Jungle: A Novel of Deception, Power, and Internet Intrigue” as Want to Read:
The Silicon Jungle: A Novel of Deception, Power, and Internet Intrigue

The Silicon Jungle: A Novel of Deception, Power, and Internet Intrigue

What happens when a naive intern is granted unfettered access to people's most private thoughts and actions? Stephen Thorpe lands a coveted internship at Ubatoo, an Internet empire that provides its users with popular online services, from a search engine and e-mail, to social networking. When Stephen's boss asks him to work on a project with the American Coalition for Civ ...more
Published March 28th 2011 by Princeton University Press (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Silicon Jungle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Silicon Jungle

Sri
Sep 09, 2011 Sri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As background - I enjoy reading books that are recommended by Scientific American - this one caught my eye. Books based on technology and real world issues are my particular favorites (see Brave New World, Freakanomics). This book worked for me.

First and foremost a scientist from Google wrote this book (you should look the author up on Google, in fact). He wrote this book about a fictional company and went to great length to say it is not based on Google - but come on, of course it's Google. It
Jonathan Lu
Great story concept from a former Google employee, though clearly one whose background is technology and not literature. I loved the story itself, which Baluja clearly meant as a wake-up-call to the public in his attempt to be the modern day technology Upton Sinclair - one that is very feasible itself and well stated by this choice quote between interns at the Google-esque company:
²"Everybody just hands us their data. Think anybody would just hand their e-mails over to the NSA? I don't think so
Summer Kennedy
May 31, 2011 Summer Kennedy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone!
The Silicon Jungle is not only a fun and compelling thriller, but is also a scary glimpse into the dangers of living our lives online and a fascinating look into the absolutely insane culture of Silicon Valley. The story itself is structured in a nonlinear way which ups the suspense and keeps the reader guessing as to how all of the seemingly disconnected parts come together. The structure of the story is itself an illustration of how data miners put together all the tidbits of our lives and sno ...more
Keith Kendall
Apr 26, 2012 Keith Kendall rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Keith by: Goodreads
Shelves: fiction
I started reading this book thoroughly convinced that it is a thinly disguised description of what goes on inside Google. I finished the book, believing what the author says - it is a novel. As I got into the book, the suspense built, something that I am not used to because I generally don't read that kind of books. I had a surprisingly good feeling at the end, without the book having a 'they lived happily ever after' ending. There are a lot of things left unresolved - much like real life, the " ...more
Becky
Jun 21, 2013 Becky rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Eh...thought it might be a fun read, particularly with the NSA scandal currently breaking, but I just couldn't get into it. While "big data" and the amount of personal information we regularly divulge on the internet and other technologies is rich territory for some very terrifying writing, both fiction and non-fiction, Silicon Jungle never quite delivered for me; I wanted a book that would invoke a feeling of dread every time I use google, rather than a general "meh" that led me to skim through ...more
Dave Handelsman
Mar 23, 2016 Dave Handelsman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed Silicon Jungle. Maybe it's because I've worked at a company that specializes in the kind of advanced analytics that's the focus of the book, or maybe it's because I'm currently involved in a de-identification project at work -- but the storyline really resonated with me.

Anyone that doesn't believe their information is being tracked and integrated and analyzed when they search online, or shop at Amazon, or post messages on Facebook is in for a very big surprise. And if you alread
Hugh Knight
Jun 16, 2011 Hugh Knight rated it it was amazing
The Silicon Jungle is a fascinating thriller inside the data-mining world. He combines his "insiders knowledge" (as a Senior Staff Research Scientist at Google) with a fast moving plot of Stephen Thorpe's life, his "dream" job and his new relationship. His business contacts thrust him into a mysterious world of deception, power and access to sensitive information for noble and/or nefarious purposes.

He engages you with the personal thoughts and feelings of his characters. The ending is spell-bind
Luigi
Nov 29, 2013 Luigi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book in the library by accident and it turned out to be a great read, both as an insight into start ups, Silicon Valley and the implications of search giants like Google and the privacy issues being debated re the NSA and other authorities with a mandate to protect us. The amount of information available to all and sundry today is scary enough without thinking about what the search giants are now offered by digital citizens. Recommended reading for everyone today.
Wendy
Nov 23, 2011 Wendy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Scary to think of what information the Googles of this world gather about us based on our internet usage. This book is written by a Google research scientist, and while it is a work of fiction, many of the data mining techniques discussed in the book seem realistic. The story follows an intern at a fictional company as he figures out how to piece together internet searches and emails to make a list of people on government watch lists.
Mary
Jul 07, 2011 Mary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think that "1984"is with us! Instead of regarding Big Brother with fear and loathing, we opened all the doors and invited him in. He is in our homes, our schools, places of business. He works with law enforcement, our Department of Defense, the CIA,our educators on every level. We delight in our computers and they monitor and report on all that we do, draw conclusions, make inferences. Are we doomed? Maybe we are.
Amy Broome
I like technical books. I really do. That being said, I was really bored with the technical details, and found myself skimming through the data mining sections. Now, if they'd talked more about the server farms or sexy applications ... (I'm revealing my inner geek).

It's interesting. I would have to agree that we've only really harnessed data to further targeted advertising, and additional applications are really experimental - and sometimes questionable.
Jacob Peled
Apr 09, 2014 Jacob Peled rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one
Shelves: 1-stars, _2014
Although I am a Technical person. Dealing all day long with Computers, and Communication . I couldn't finish the book. Too long technical descriptions. The story didn't make much sense. There are other books out there. Lots of others. So why waist the time on some book that it seems you spend too much emotional effort to reed it.Gave uo on page 202.
Gayle
Feb 27, 2013 Gayle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Is this book the 1984 book of our time? Great read. Didn't really want to access anything on the Internet after reading it, though. Definitely some reflective thought about datamining after reading this.
Rogue Reader
Entirely believable account of how massive data centers aggregate personal information and the brilliant and intuitive engineers who collate content. The ultimate power of commerce and futile inadequacies of government to harvest knowledge
Amelia Arsenault
This book starts out strong. I was hoping it would delve mire deeply into issues of privacy and corporate power. However, it devolves into a standard issue shallow thriller with too many plot diversions.
Willie
Willie rated it really liked it
May 31, 2011
Tanya
Tanya rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2011
Isaac Dontje Lindell
Isaac Dontje Lindell rated it really liked it
Jun 26, 2014
Neil Vandenberge
Neil Vandenberge rated it liked it
Feb 09, 2016
Finn
Finn rated it liked it
Jul 21, 2012
Henry
Henry rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2013
Tomomi
Tomomi rated it liked it
Feb 15, 2017
DAG
DAG rated it liked it
Mar 19, 2013
0re0
0re0 rated it really liked it
May 31, 2012
Mark Nunnikhoven
Mark Nunnikhoven rated it liked it
Jun 06, 2016
Raju
Raju rated it liked it
Oct 07, 2012
Carrie Seroka
Carrie Seroka rated it it was amazing
Jul 19, 2011
David Nadas
David Nadas rated it really liked it
May 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Collector
  • Geometry and the Imagination
  • Alan Mendelsohn, the Boy from Mars
  • Of All Sad Words: A Dan Rhodes Mystery (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #15)
  • احلام في بلاد الشمس
  • The A.I. War: The Big Boost  (The Continuing Time, #4)
  • The Twisted Heart
  • Thanksgiving
  • The Adventures of Jack Lime
  • Terror Kid
  • Harvest Of Murder
  • Dark Entry (Kit Marlowe, #1)
  • Over Her Dead Body: Death, Femininity and the Aesthetic
  • Punching Tom Hanks: Dropkicking Gorillas and Pummeling Zombified Ex-Presidents---a Guide to Beating Up Anything
  • Bomb Hunters: Life and Death Stories with Britain's Elite Bomb Disposal Unit in Afghanistan
  • Resurrection of Liberty
  • Lost Geography
  • Shadow of a Dead Star  (The Wonderland Cycle #1)

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »