Start by marking “Alphabet Soup (Alphabet Soup #1, Russian Bear, #2)” as Want to Read:
Alphabet Soup (Alphabet Soup #1, Russian Bear, #2)

Alphabet Soup (Alphabet Soup #1)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  639 ratings  ·  61 reviews
Andy knows exactly what he needs: scenes hard enough to take him out of himself. Then he meets CK, and everything is turned upside down. CK is relaxed and gentle and nothing like what Andy's looking for. Despite that, or maybe because of it, Andy's still attracted to the stranger.CK is new to the city and the club, but definitely not to the scene. Andy's ideas of BDSM are ...more
Published April 25th 2011 by Torquere Books

To ask other readers questions about Alphabet Soup, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alphabet Soup

Submission by Chris OwenDomination by Chris OwenDiscipline by Chris OwenRough Canvas by Joey W. HillBondage by Chris Owen
Best Gay BDSM
142nd out of 616 books — 897 voters
Hot Head by Damon SuedeBear, Otter, and the Kid by T.J. KluneThe Locker Room by Amy LaneDivide & Conquer by Abigail RouxBetween Sinners and Saints by Marie Sexton
Best M/M Romance Published in 2011
187th out of 503 books — 1,002 voters

More lists with this book...

Serena Yates
I really liked this book, which looks at the 'softer' side of BDSM. As this story shows, that doesn't mean it's not hard work, nor that it's any less hot for the participants.

CK is a great Dom, who knows exactly what he wants. He quickly figures out what Andy needs and gives it to him, one lesson at a time. Even when he gets emotionally involved, he never quite forgets about his sub. Well, with one exception, and that safewording scene was so well done, with such humor, it actually made me laugh
Vio
I'm not one for reading BDSM its not something that usually appeals to me and I have difficulty with the "daddy" aspect in some storylines. I can safely say there was none of that in Alphabet Soup. This was not an easy read as there were some moments that had me cringing and I was not entirely comfortable but in saying that it was also fascinating, emotional and really well written.

This was a relationship based on trust and patience and someone believing in you and caring for you. CK wanted to
Simsala
In spite of beeing BDSM-themed the Alphabet Soup is much gentler than the Russian Bear.The self-confident but not all knowing-perfect Dom CK and the hurt and mistreated- but far from beeing weak Sub Andy are simply perfect for each other.I loved to read their story of growing together - especially the last chapter!
Recommended.
Gigi
A big thanks to Fiona for pointing out that this was a good healing/comfort book! I had asked for recommendations for my new healing comfort shelf and while I had already read Russian Bear I didn't realize this sequel was about two different characters.

I absolutely adored this book! CK was the perfect, patient Dom to Andy's broken, damaged sub. Exactly what I was looking for in a healing/comfort story.

If you enjoy confident, beautiful Doms, lovingly helping lost and broken sweet men through touc
Tam
May 06, 2011 Tam rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: m-m
This is sort of a follow-up to The Russian Bear featuring the carpenter who built their bookshelves, Andy. Andy keeps seeking greater and great physical experiences at the club trying to fly, it's not really working. He meets CK, a new guy in town and CK is totally unlike other guys, he's not into beating him senseless and is very laid back and calm. It completely throws Andy for a loop and CK can't figure out what this guy is all about either since he flip flops constantly. However after a bad ...more
Lauraadriana
Rightness That's the first word that comes to mind when I think of a word to describe what the couple in this book found in each other.

This is the second book I've read by this author, and I have to say I love her spin on the BDSM relationship. It is about finding what you need in who you love. I love that.

Andy is a sub, and he was hurt badly by his previous Dom. He is insecure and confused in what he needs. He keeps going place in scenes that leave him hurt badly again and again. One night he m
Feliz
A warning in advance: Those who don’t like to see the heroes have sexual interactions outside the main pairing might give this one a pass, since there is an on-page scenes with Andy and someone else, where CK is present and agreeable to, but doesn’t take part in.

Andy knows that he’s a sub, and he knows that he needs hard scenes with enough pain that he can get away from himself. Or so he thinks, until he meets CK and the new Dom manages to make Andy almost forget his own name with only one kiss.
Td
Alphabet Soup (Alphabet Soup. #1, Russian Bear, #2) by C.B. Conwy = SmileyCentral.com

This is how I feel about this book. I was told "the 'loved it' part is pretty obvious. In case it isn't: I loved it! Liked how nicely balanced it was and loved this couple and their chemistry.
Check out: Feliz's Review for a much better and detailed review.
Danny Tyran
Submission is in your head, domination too.
I love how the author perceives D/s. I wish he would expand this concept by ensuring that the dominant helps his sub to improve all aspects of his life. The dominant can supervise all these improvements :
* Quit smoking (or drinking if the sub drinks too much)
* Start training
* Eat more healthily
* Get rid of his worst defects (eg, if the sub has a tendency to anger easily and to fight with everybody for nothing: teach him to keep calm)
* Improve its overal
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
Andy, dear deluded Andy. I'm appalled at his education with BDSM. I want to kill Bryce, the bastard!!! I'm so glad CK came along to set Andy straight. I'm disappointed with Troy and the other Dom's at Slakes. What stupid assholes. I'm with CK. I'll go with him to give some much deserved ass kicking. I enjoyed this story. I loved the tenderness CK brought to Andy's life. I also liked how Andy was so cute and confused. This story touched me and I'm happy Andy found the right Master for him. It's s ...more
Chris
Very good kinky m/m romance about a carpenter who keeps going to a BDSM club and hooking up with different Doms as he tries to get what he needs. He hasn't been at all successful... and then he meets CK, who doesn't behave like any of the other Doms. This story starts immediately after A Russian Bear and the free short Malaria, Cholera and Bubonic Plague takes place during this story.
Alyosha
Very enjoyable soft bdsm book about a sub-ish carpenter and the not quite superman dom who helps him to heal and find himself after some very bad, damaging experiences.

Together they made a very sweet, well functioning and lovable couple.

Shirley Frances
This book a surprising treat! I so enjoyed CK and must say that he became one of my favorites Doms (right there with Tobias). Maybe he wasn't as 'dominating' as some others, but he really understood his sub's struggles and helped him get over some tough times. Andy was lovely as well, you couldn't help but feel for him. At times, I wanted to shake some sense into him too, but he came unto himself beautifully at the end. The writing was great with enough emotion and intensity that you got a great ...more
Barb ~rede-2-read~
Oh, I liked this story even better than the first in the series, A Russian Bear! The chemistry between CK and Andy is awesome and I really liked the way CK helped Andy overcome his past experiences.

While I found the first book great, it was heavy into pain, but this one focused on how to find subspace without heavy pain. I am so looking forward to reading more in this series. The characters are all outstanding.
M'rella
I think the book probably deserves more than three official stars, but I have just finished "A Russian Bear" and this to me is simply more and more and more and more - you get the picture? - of the same.
There is very little about MC outside of their BDSM relationship, only what's absolutely necessary to keep the scenes and hurt/comfort going.
Pages are peppered with "though" so much, that I couldn't get into smooth reading. The phrase "...the carpenter meticulously undressed, from shoes all the
Beck
This was a surprising sequel to A Russian Bear. A Russian Bear was much more hard-core than Alphabet Soup. This is not a bad thing (as reflected in my rating) but lovers of heavy BDSM might be disappointed by this book. For me 'tho, the story was perfect for the character Andy. I loved how beautiful, almost spiritual the simple scenes were. This was a side of BDSM that isn't often explored in books. It shows how simply adding a leather cuff to the mix can fundamentally change the mind-set of par ...more
H.J. Raine
A detailed, far more accurate look into the world of BDSM than I've seen anywhere in mainstream fiction, this really shows how consensual BDSM can heal. Andy's had some bad experiences in masochism, and doesn't know which way to go to get what he really needs, and his problems come across as very real. CK's entrance into his life is a surprise and CK doesn't act in any of the ways Andy thinks a Dom should...

I love the depth of these characters, and the sense of humor that is lovely and laced thr
Pamela Su
Rather enjoyable look at the less extreme side of BDSM.

CK and Andy make an interesting couple. I love how Andy rediscovers his sub side with CK. It was so sweet to see his healing process. I love that the book emphasizes the different lifestyles of BDSM and the importance of using safewords.

(view spoiler)

While not as kinky as the previous book, the focu
Sandra
$4.99 on Nook
Taintedskyee (Books Books&More Books)
I really liked this story and I feel if u r a romance junky try reading some MM books.You will get your fix.Andy and Ck's story is such a heart warming story.Andy being abused,confused and insecure simply blossoms again becoming the man he was once in hand of Ck the gentle,relaxed and caring Dom.I knew I would love this book, after reading Mischa and Tom's story Russian Bear I simply fell in love with MM books and had to read this series and was not disappointed.Its a must read series.
Jeanne
I just finished reading this story a few days ago, and the details are already filtering away from me. It wasn't as great as the first book, A Russian Bear, though our couple from that book do make a couple of appearances. I was teetering from a 2-3, so I felt I'd round up for this one.

This story involves around Andy, whom we met in the first book. This is his story about the life he has lived and finding the 'one' for him. I liked Andy. I feel he was portrayed decently. He has been in abusive r
Shannon
God, I love these guys too. This one's not as kinky as A Russian Bear but it's still freaking hot. This one seemed a little sweeter and the Andy was so broken that he needed the sweet. In my head I pictured CK as this older Dom but come to find out he was only 28. Wow, he's good! Good smexing, nothing earth shattering but still read worthy.
Charly
Has some little holes, but overall I liked it

Warning: This review might contain what some people consider SPOILERS.

Rating: 7/10

PROS:
- I found both characters’ confusion to be endearing. It isn’t often I encounter a BDSM story in which neither of the protagonists has any know-it-all in him. These are just two regular guys, both of whom are thrown by the other’s unusual behavior.
- The way in which the stereotypical abused sub (a common theme in BDSM stories) is described here shows a lot of rest
pbj
I really liked this one.
Heavy emphasis on the psychology of BDSM, without feeling overly preachy, and without cookie-cutter characters. And hot!
Carolyn88
i hated for the book to end. I wanted more.
Shelby
I think I may end up being in the minority on this one. For some reason this book didn’t hook me quite as strongly as A Russian Bear. That isn’t to say I didn’t like it, but as much as I liked CK and Andy their relationship just didn’t jump off the page for me in any sort of really impactful way. On the flip side I did love seeing the softer side of BDSM played out here, but I think why this all lost some of it’s steam for me is that everything came off as too easy in the end.

Andy has been in t
Fangtasia
Stories like this are the reason why I think there is some truth to the possibility of the "you are the key to my lock" fantasy. Also why I think that, for some people, BDSM can be a form of therapy.

Andy has been scarred by abuse. The reader gets the story piece by piece, which I found to be an excellent way of showing how very perfect CK is for Andy. CK is not the usual Dom, and his idiosyncracies are precisely what make him the right guy for Andy. Step by step, in an example of masterful char
Danielle
My review of this one might be a little off because I finished A Russian Bear right before this one.

I did like this one more because of the characters but unfortunately it's basically the EXACT same story rehased with new characters.

Andy and CK are beautiful together. CK really understood what it was that Andy needed and taught him what he actually needed rather then what he thought he needed. Andy probably in my opinion gave in to CK a little quick but that's what happens in an insta-love kin
Plainbrownwrapper
Let me preface this by saying, first, that I'm not turned on or excited by BDSM, and I have no attraction to pain. I do occasionally read BDSM-themed books, but when I do I often feel like a field anthropologist exploring a new and alien culture. I don't really understand it, but I sometimes find it both fascinating and educational. And because I don't really grasp it, I'm attracted to BDSM books with intelligent writing that can help me to understand why the characters are doing what they do.

An
Fiordiligii
In the last months I have read a ton of self published books, some with a number of mistakes, some squeaky clean. I find that I am more compliable concerning spelling errors when it comes to self published titles than to professional publishing houses. And recently it seems I am finding errors everywhere, Samhain, Ellora's Cave, Torquere, Carina Press, Berkley, it's like my radar is solely focused on discovering spelling errors and that's not what I usually look for in a romance.

It took me a li
  • Room at the Top (Room at the Top #1)
  • Found (Hammer, #3)
  • Domination (Deviations, #2)
  • Thirty Days (From Thirty Days to Forever, #1)
  • Gathering Storm
  • Nowhere Ranch
  • Out Of Focus
  • Screwing the System (Screwing the System, #1)
  • Be Brave (Angel and the Assassin, #2)
  • Deliver Us (Deliver Us, #1)
  • Leather+Lace (Opposites Attract, #2)
  • Before He Cheats (Perfect Timing, #7)
  • Switch
  • Fix This, Sir (Tales from Rainbow Alley, #3)
  • By His Rules
  • Uneven
Doing relatively sane and responsible things during the day, I'm always looking forward to coming home to see what my characters have been up to. It’s only very rarely what I want them to do, but there you go. I have no problems whatsoever reading both Flaubert and smut (although not at the same time), and the only thing I like more than chocolate is a good comfort read.

To me, the best thing about
More about C.B. Conwy...

Alphabet Soup (2 books)
  • I Like You (Alphabet Soup #1.5| Russian Bear #3)
A Russian Bear (Russian Bear, #1) Bonding (Himiko, #1) Happily Ever After (Russian Bear, #4) Warrior (Himiko, #2) Malaria, Cholera and Bubonic Plague (Russian Bear, #1.5)